Photo

Where To Find Solid Orange And Solid Green Acrylic Blanks?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bute

bute

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:59

I'm looking for some solid color pen blanks. I see some hard rubber ones at American Art Plastics but they are a little to expensive for me right now. Does anyone know of any acrylics at a lower price?

#2 Inspector

Inspector

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:20

I have a lot of the Green PVC sewer pipe (virgin Posted Image) our town uses that look approximately like the solid green on the AAP site. Your area may use the same and when they are laying new or upgrading the system there are always offcuts free for the asking. If you can't find any we can work something out.

Pete

#3 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,936 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:45

here:
http://www.delviespl...ast_Acrylic_Rod

gallery_41188_9_2816.jpg sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#4 raging.dragon

raging.dragon

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:50

I have a lot of the Green PVC sewer pipe (virgin Posted Image) our town uses that look approximately like the solid green on the AAP site. Your area may use the same and when they are laying new or upgrading the system there are always offcuts free for the asking. If you can't find any we can work something out.

Pete

Just steer clear of the green pipe with brown swirls? ;)

#5 bute

bute

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:05

Thanks guys. Have you tried the delvies acrylic? I'm a little confused because it says translucent but solid in parenthesis. I'm looking for a solid opaque material.

#6 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• Moderators

• 13,936 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:36

I think it will be solid. You can look at the pics to see what you're getting. If nothing else just send them a message. I ordered a couple rods and some other stuff last night so I can tell you what I get when I get it. Might be a couple weeks, though.

:)

#7 paultyler_82

paultyler_82

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:40

Thanks guys. Have you tried the delvies acrylic? I'm a little confused because it says translucent but solid in parenthesis. I'm looking for a solid opaque material.

On Delvie's site, the 'Translucent' and Pearl Acrylics are solid colored, the Transparent and Fluorescent Acrylics are transparent.

Penn State Industries also carries solid color pen blanks and Tap Plastics carries a limited range of acrylic rod.

Edited by paultyler_82, 19 December 2012 - 01:50.

Love, love is a verb. Love is a doing word. Fearless on my breath ... Teardrop on the fire, fearless on my breath - Massive Attack "Teardrop"
Posted Image

#8 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• Moderators

• 13,936 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:44

I got a bunch of rods yesterday - that orange and green are PRETTY. The orange is almost day-glo, though.

#9 paultyler_82

paultyler_82

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:41

I got a bunch of rods yesterday - that orange and green are PRETTY. The orange is almost day-glo, though.

Personally, Shawn, I love the look of the 2092 Green, 2423 Red, and 2422 Amber transparent rods... I have some ideas for when I finally have a workshop put together. Those three would be perfect for incorporating ink windows, transparent sections, or hidden windows into a pen that are coordinated with the rest of the pen, much like Pelikan's Toledo series.
On those solid plastics, most of the bright colors are much brighter than they look on the site. I've worked with those number-colored acrylics in things other than pens and seen them in person. I wish someone would make some more unique, retro style colored acrylics... guess I'm going to end up having to pour my own if I want things like Olive or Dove Grey.

Edited by paultyler_82, 19 December 2012 - 02:44.

Love, love is a verb. Love is a doing word. Fearless on my breath ... Teardrop on the fire, fearless on my breath - Massive Attack "Teardrop"
Posted Image

#10 Scriptorium Pens

Scriptorium Pens

Collectors Item

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 15:37

If any of you have seen the 6512 Green & the 2112 DkGreen, can you tell me if they are a dark evergreen like they look in the pictures, or are they much lighter?

Renée

Visit my site at

www.scriptoriumpens.com

fpn_1381279657__scriptoriumpens-label4.p

Custom, Handcrafted Fountain Pens

#11 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• Moderators

• 13,936 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 15:47

They're all sort of brighter - almost dayglo. I'll take pics in a minute.