Photo

Is It Safe To Convert A Wahl Eversharp Bantam To An Eyedropper Fill?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MaryRobinette

MaryRobinette

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:50

I have a cute Wahl Eversharp Bantam, which I adore, but the sac doesn't hold as much ink as I'd like. It also just barely fits in the barrel so going to a larger bladder isn't an option.

Having recently converted my Kaweco sport to be an eyedropper fill, I'm wondering if it is safe to do the same with the Bantam. It looks like it would work, but I don't know enough about the material of the barrel to know if it would damage it. Any thoughts or advice would be welcome.

#2 Wahlnut

Wahlnut

Collectors Item

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:24

I have a cute Wahl Eversharp Bantam, which I adore, but the sac doesn't hold as much ink as I'd like. It also just barely fits in the barrel so going to a larger bladder isn't an option.

Having recently converted my Kaweco sport to be an eyedropper fill, I'm wondering if it is safe to do the same with the Bantam. It looks like it would work, but I don't know enough about the material of the barrel to know if it would damage it. Any thoughts or advice would be welcome.

I don't think it will be a good candidate for eye-dropper...If memory serves, the bantam section is friction fit and not a screw-in, so there will be leakage at the section/barrel joint. And if somehow you solve that problem, make sure a good sac is in place. or you'll get leakage from the blind cap joint too.

Syd
Syd "the Wahlnut" Saperstein
Pensbury Manor
Vintage Wahl Eversharp Writing Instruments
Pensbury Manor

The WAHL-EVERSHARP Company
www.wahleversharp.com
New WAHL-EVERSHARP fountain and Roller-Ball pens

#3 bbbiswas

bbbiswas

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:45

I also have a bantam. But I like it as a bulb filler, This variety of pens have their own place and should not be altered. If you would love a bulb filler with higher ink capacity you can get it from Edison Pen Company of Brian Grey. He can give you eyedropper options also. You can get one custom made eyedropper to your choice from Shawn Newton of Newtonspens. I have got two oversized eyedroppers made by Shawn and are great writers.

#4 Vintagepens

Vintagepens

David Nishimura

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:04

Converting a Bantam from bulb-filler to eyedropper wouldn't add much at all to its ink capacity.
From your post, I suspect you (or someone else) has resacked your pen incorrectly. A Bantam doesn't hold its ink in a sac, but in its barrel. The bulb is attached to the rear of the barrel, under the blind cap, and is squeezed repeatedly to draw ink into the barrel.

Take a look at the Bantam shown here; is yours like that one? (note that the one in the pictures retains its original bulb, which is tan instead of black)

#5 MaryRobinette

MaryRobinette

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:07

Converting a Bantam from bulb-filler to eyedropper wouldn't add much at all to its ink capacity.
From your post, I suspect you (or someone else) has resacked your pen incorrectly. A Bantam doesn't hold its ink in a sac, but in its barrel. The bulb is attached to the rear of the barrel, under the blind cap, and is squeezed repeatedly to draw ink into the barrel.

Take a look at the Bantam shown here; is yours like that one? (note that the one in the pictures retains its original bulb, which is tan instead of black)

It had been resacked before I purchased it and is the first that I've had with a sac. Though the sac is positioned as the one you show, it looks shriveled. It does not draw much ink into the pen, but I'm still new to this style so I might be doing it wrong. What I like about the pen is that it has a wonderful flexible fine stub nib, that is so expressive to write with. A real joy.

Thank you all for the advice.

#6 Vintagepens

Vintagepens

David Nishimura

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 21:28

The bulb should be squeezed several times; with each squeeze, bubbles should come out into the ink, until the pen is full. If the breather tube inside the barrel is clogged, you may only get bubbles on the first and maybe second squeeze, and only a small amount of ink will be drawn in. A shriveled sac does not sound good. I wonder whether or not it had indeed been properly serviced.