How Many Words Can You Write With A Bottle Of Noodlers Black?

Renfield

Hey Folks

Only posting this on FPN, as I cant see anyone else being remotely interested :)

I am taking part in NaNoWriMo, and decided to handwrite at least some of it (Turning out to be most of it)

I have cleaned out a Lamy Vista, and needed to fill it with Noodlers Black, to test it (The Ink Vs The Pen)

So Used it yesterday and today, exclusively for NaNoWriMo. Considering I am counting the word count, I thought I would know how many words I could write, with one converter full of ink.

The Pen was cleaned and flushed before filling, and I filled it completely. Then started writing. It has a fine nib,but I have tinkered with it as I like a wet nib, so I would put it closer to a medium, in as much ink it puts down.

I filled 20 1/2 A4 pages of text before it gave up. Not every line was used as I was writing fiction, so lines in between speech and paragraphs.

Here is the empty pen, and a sample so you can see my handwriting is fairly big.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8202/8211758751_bf0628a0e8_b.jpg

After counting up the words I got to 3196, lets call it 3200 for roundness. (Average of about 155 words per page)

I searched for the capacity of the Lamy Converter, which seems to be about 0.6ml, along with a full feed, probably takes it up to about 0.75ml.

So I would get roughly 117 fills of a pen from a full bottle of Noodlers, so 3200 X 117 is 374,400 words from 1 bottle of Noodlers Black.

Noodlers costs £12.50 in the UK, so that's almost 30,000 words per £1 of ink.

Obviously the choice of pen would make a difference, as it would lay down a heavier or lighter line, but, do you think the ink would make a difference? ie a different word count?

Ren

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Renfield

• amberleadavis

• JefferyS

• myn

Noodler's has got to be the least expensive way to write with an FP. And if you buy it in bulk (he sells it in bulk), you could write War and Peace for less than Tolstoy paid for ink.

There aren't many inks that I simply cannot afford to use, but Caran D'Ache Grand Canyon comes close. Noodler's Golden Brown make it a no contest.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

Noodler's has got to be the least expensive way to write with an FP. And if you buy it in bulk (he sells it in bulk), you could write War and Peace for less than Tolstoy paid for ink.

There aren't many inks that I simply cannot afford to use, but Caran D'Ache Grand Canyon comes close. Noodler's Golden Brown make it a no contest.

In the UK, its mid-expensive. At 14p per ml.

Pilot Iroshizuku is most expensive at 50p per ml (£25 per bottle

Diamine is probably the cheapest at about 7.5p per ml (Assuming £6 per 80ml Bottle)

J. Herbin is in between if you can get a 100ml bottle for £10.95 (11p per ml) or more expensive if its a 30ml bottle (20p) (£5.95)

So for us, this side of the pond, Diamine is cheapest. (Maybe a Parker might be cheaper)

Ren

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

That's a win-win for me. I could exist wholly on Diamine (but would sorely miss BSAR).

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses. A shading black that erupts in burgundy highlights. If I were allowed only one ink ... Forbid the thought!

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

Hey Folks

. . . ✄

do you think the ink would make a difference? ie a different word count?

Ren

Hi,

Yes.

A dry ink (lower flow-rate) will increase the word count. As will an ink that is less readily absorbed by the paper. Inks containing iron-gall meet those criterial. e.g. MB Midnight Blue.

Cost-wise (and I am reluctant to discuss cost) Ecclesiastical Stationery Supplies Registrars Ink is an I-G ink which presently costs GBP9.20 / 110ml, which includes delivery within the UK.

Bye,

S1

EDIT - to add: Perhaps the easiest means to lower cost/ml is dilution of an ink to the extent that what's written remains highly readable, and essential performance factors are not significantly degraded.

ESSRI - Dilution: 33, 50, 66 80, 90 & 100%

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

I'm not sure how large the bottle is. Are you including the 0.15 in the feed for every refill? If you are I would suggest you should not. I'd suggest you should include it just once and every refill takes the capacity of the converter and the ink from previous fill remains in the feed.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

Scientific investigation is always fascinating.

The beautiful dark-eyed lady, whom I married, is from Belfast.

At this moment, she lovingly stands over my shoulder, reading

my postings. (I hate that.) She offers that 3300 words are

possible, if you omit punctuation.

I wish you much joy, and a wee-bit of madness.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Enjoy the writing, you mad impetuous person.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Hey you'll only need 15.6 refills of that Lamy and you'll have your Novel. Easier then counting every word :ltcapd:

Best of luck in reaching your goal I'm sure it will be a great novel.

"Minds are like parachutes. They only function when open." James Dewar

http://i49.tinypic.com/2j26aaa.png

I'm not sure how large the bottle is. Are you including the 0.15 in the feed for every refill? If you are I would suggest you should not. I'd suggest you should include it just once and every refill takes the capacity of the converter and the ink from previous fill remains in the feed.

But I wrote until the pen gave out, so surely the feed would be empty as well?

At this moment, she lovingly stands over my shoulder, reading

my postings....

Well, congrats and all that (seriously) but I prefer it when my wife doesn't look over my shoulders... whatever I'm doing...

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

I am taking part in NaNoWriMo, and decided to handwrite at least some of it (Turning out to be most of it)

So I would get roughly 117 fills of a pen from a full bottle of Noodlers, so 3200 X 117 is 374,400 words from 1 bottle of Noodlers Black.

Thanks for this post. I'm working on my third NaNo novel. I write at least a bottle of your ink a year, and I write a lot. I calculate I've writtena million and a half words over the last six and half years. It's almost all with a keyboard, though, but I'm now moving more to pen and paper. If you wish a new writing buddy, I'm powerunit on the site.

Thoughtcrime does not entail death: thoughtcrime IS death. -- George Orwell

I made a different experiment because it's quicker than writing pages. I made 50 straight (long) lines on A4 Paper and meassured the weight before and after.

The Waterman 44 with BB nib lost 0.19g of MB Midnight Blue, the MB 146 with F nib only 0.06g of MB Royal Blue. So the first has 76m/g and the second 240m/g of ink.

Now how many words are per meter?

Cepasaccus

Hi.

I have been using Noodler's Black ink in a Hero 616 (or possibly a 616 clone, but who cares?) to copy MS information from the internet into a loose-leaf binder. So far, I have copied well in excess of 200 A4 pages of writing and the ink level in the bottle is still above the shoulder (but that's a fine-nibbed pen)!

If cost is important, John Lewis sells Cross Black (aka Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black, I believe) in 62.5ml bottles for £4.50.

John

It should be clear that, with all the variables involved, the only thing one can say is that different inks will affect the number of words you may write. Unless you can take into account paper, nib, size of handwriting, and even vocabulary, it becomes a bit meaningless to try to articulate the answer any deeper than that.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Hi.

I have been using Noodler's Black ink in a Hero 616 (or possibly a 616 clone, but who cares?) to copy MS information from the internet into a loose-leaf binder. So far, I have copied well in excess of 200 A4 pages of writing and the ink level in the bottle is still above the shoulder (but that's a fine-nibbed pen)!

If cost is important, John Lewis sells Cross Black (aka Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black, I believe) in 62.5ml bottles for £4.50.

John

The experiment was nothing to do with cost.

In fact it was only an experiment by proxy.

I was completing in NaNoWriMo, and was handwriting. At the same time, my daughter has been having Noodlers Black Issues with Nib Creep, and flow levels.

So, I decided to get a clean Safari (She uses an Al-Star), loaded it up, and wrote until it ran dry.

Because of NaNoWriMo, I needed to count words anyway, so I decided to conduct this experiment.

It made sense to work cost, as I was working out the rest.

So, cost wasn't the reason for doing this. I used other inks as well, but none from fresh to empty, or I would have done it work those as well.

"How Many Words Can You Write With A Bottle Of Noodlers Black?"

In my case, all of them. :vbg:

http://i.imgur.com/z15yCl.jpg

It's actually kind of scary to think about...

After doing some tests I realized that even if I were to use this ink exclusively I will almost certainly die before I empty the bottle (I'm under 30).

And all of a sudden I gained a whole new appreciation for wet writing italic nibs.

Edited by Joshua J.