#151 antikva

antikva

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:41

I'm more focused on learning the language and developing a good and practical hand than practicing calligraphy, but I must admit that I, from time to time, would love to play around with a real qalam. I think riqah is the style that attracts me the most.

How do you guys hold your paper when writing Arabic? Paper turned anticlockwise as in a Western cursive or paper turned clockwise? Or do you rather keep it perpendicular to your torso?

#152 smk

smk

Antique

• Admin Tech.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,146 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 June 2014 - 13:37

For Calligraphy it is best to keep the paper fairly straight (writing line going from right to left) in front of your writing hand's shoulder. This lets your arm move freely as it should and your wrist remains in it's natural position. Writing is different and you do what you are comfortable with.

I would like to make a distinction between writing and Calligraphy at this point. To write well you need to develop muscle memory whereas in Calligraphy you exercise muscle control. Muscle memory does not help you (much) in Calligraphy as you might be writing your script at different sizes and would expect to master several scripts.

For writing I place the page almost perpendicular to my body, for Arabic Calligraphy I write in front of my right shoulder (being right handed) with the paper in a vertical position, for Western styles, the paper is rotated counter-clockwise to the angle of the script (or close to it) and placed in front of my chest.

- Salman

I have an opinion and I'm not afraid to use it.

My Blog :: Instagram

#153 silver ink

silver ink

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 June 2014 - 18:52

mostly my paper is not turned and is perpendicular when writing arabic with kalam.

And your LORD has decreed that you not worship except Him,and to parents, good treatment.Whether one or both of them reach old age[while] with you,say not to them [so much as],"uff,"and do not repel them but speak to them a noble word.And lower to them the wing of humility out of mercy and say,"My LORD ,have mercy upon them as they brought me up [when i was] small."                                                                                                                        Holy Quran 17:23-24                                                                                                                

#154 silver ink

silver ink

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 June 2014 - 19:03

v_zpseae7c0d9.jpg

Edited by silver ink, 25 June 2014 - 19:11.

And your LORD has decreed that you not worship except Him,and to parents, good treatment.Whether one or both of them reach old age[while] with you,say not to them [so much as],"uff,"and do not repel them but speak to them a noble word.And lower to them the wing of humility out of mercy and say,"My LORD ,have mercy upon them as they brought me up [when i was] small."                                                                                                                        Holy Quran 17:23-24                                                                                                                

#155 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,210 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2014 - 00:19

A question based solely on artistic appreciation since I cannot read a word... Is it an optical illusion that letters appear to stretch out as you progressed to the left? Or did you begin closer together, then stretch to fill the space?

#156 silver ink

silver ink

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:24

there should have been little more space between first two words and first word should have been little larger in size.

its cause i am learning and its not an optical illusion and and i was also not looking to fill the space.

#157 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Moderators

• 23,210 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:13

Thanks for explaining. I was looking at the pattern formed since I can't read it.

I suspect, with enough exposure to Salman, I may pick up a little through osmosis.

#158 silver ink

silver ink

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:03

you should see in arabic that which two words are repeating and appearing twice

then you should go to the english translation and see which two words are repeating and appearing twice

like this you will  know the meaning of the arabic word that is appearing twice

this is not a rule cause in translation words can vary and synonyms can be used like in place of "no" "nor" can be used. "la"  is also translated into  "there is no"  

if you notice first word "la", it is appearing twice and english word  "no/nor" is also appearing twice

so "la" means no and you can practice to write "la"

slowly you can understand the shape of the words and their meaning and then you can proceed to build your vocabulary.

even if you learn 2,3 words a month,then after a year you will be able to read and write simple sentences.

Edited by silver ink, 26 June 2014 - 12:10.

#159 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Moderators

• 23,210 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2014 - 15:35

I hadn't noticed that. Thanks!

#160 antikva

antikva

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2014 - 16:04

To anyone wanting to start learning Arabic – either just the alphabet or dive deeper into the language – I can truly recommed the Al Kitaab series from Georgetown University Press.

This is the beginner's book for those learning the alphabet and it's the one I've been using: http://press.georget...kitaab/alif-baa

I'm waiting to receive the next book at the moment to start building some vocabulary.

Edited by antikva, 26 June 2014 - 16:05.

#161 silver ink

silver ink

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2014 - 18:26

how much have you learned so far

and are you a native english speaker?

#162 antikva

antikva

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2014 - 19:30

I've been studying about a month and I've mostly just learned the alphabet and the pronunciation, but I can form simple sentences you would use in a presentation of your self and like you've seen in my handwriting photos here.

Swedish is my native language.

#163 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Moderators

• 23,210 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2014 - 21:19

Ah, then you have an advantage knowing more than one language already.

#164 silver ink

silver ink

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2014 - 22:12

vikings also used to write in swedish?

Edited by silver ink, 26 June 2014 - 22:14.

#165 antikva

antikva

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:44

Haha, well, the Vikings spoke Old Norse which is a predecessor to Swedish. They wrote in runes.

#166 silver ink

silver ink

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 June 2014 - 22:07

ok

runes is now no longer taught in schools?

#167 nojanv

nojanv

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:29

This is a great guide, thank you for it. I believe the best way to learn a language and how to write it is to visit that country and live there for a month or two. I'm Persian, and honestly all my family members recommend visiting Iran for a few months to really sharpen my farsi penmanship.

#168 smk

smk

Antique

• Admin Tech.

• 2,146 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 July 2014 - 23:11

This is a great guide, thank you for it. I believe the best way to learn a language and how to write it is to visit that country and live there for a month or two. I'm Persian, and honestly all my family members recommend visiting Iran for a few months to really sharpen my farsi penmanship.

I am glad you find it helpful nojanv.

Going to Iran might work- you will find beautiful lettering everywhere from signboards to road signs and that much exposure is bound to help. Be warned though, you will gain weight from all the food your relatives will feed you :-)

- Salman

#169 smk

smk

Antique

• Admin Tech.

• 2,146 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 July 2014 - 23:18

silver ink - I started a new topic with your latest Calligraphy post. This thread is about learning to write Arabic and not the best place for sharing Calligraphy exercises. The new topic with your post can be found here: Arabic Calligraphy Practice.

- Salman

#170 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Moderators

• 23,210 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:42

Some of us gain weight from eating Persian cooking without ever leaving the States or having Persian relatives. Nom!

Anyone want to show me how gaz (the candy, not the cooking stove) is written so I know what I'm looking for? Alas, I am motivated to learn by greed.

#171 smk

smk

Antique

• Admin Tech.

• 2,146 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:53

Here's how 'Gaz' is written in Nastaliq and regular writing. The Nastaliq is pretty poor but you will recognize it when you see it on a box :-)

The word is made of two letters: Gaf (the 'g' sound) and Zey or Zeh (the 'z' sound). 

fpn_1404370248__20140703_022206-1.jpg

#172 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Moderators

• 23,210 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:34

Thanks!

#173 smk

smk

Antique

• Admin Tech.

• 2,146 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 July 2014 - 03:33

Renzhe - I have moved your Kufic example (which was very nice btw) to the Arabic Calligraphy Practice thread as it is more suited there IMO. 

Regards,

Salman