Learn To Write Arabic

smk

Tobias - I meant to do this earlier but just couldn't get to to it. Here is a sample of some words written in proper form and then in a more relaxed from on the second line. In placing words, think more of the overall balance between the two lines rather than focusing on the writing line. I hope this example illustrates that.

fpn_1402817287__20140615_031949.jpg

- Salman

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smk

• silver ink

• Ghost Plane

• antikva

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i also want to learn arabic calligraphy

wrote this with a qalam

http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag175/ink00/a_zpsa5cc5b90.jpg

my qalam,pen and ink

http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag175/ink00/17_zps57f3e576.jpg

Edited by silver ink

"On every dishonest man,there are two watchmen,his possessions and his way of living."

Hazrat Umar bin Khattab (May Allah be pleased with him)

http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag175/ink00/23_zps99135e24.jpg

"On every dishonest man,there are two watchmen,his possessions and his way of living."

Tobias - I meant to do this earlier but just couldn't get to to it. Here is a sample of some words written in proper form and then in a more relaxed from on the second line. In placing words, think more of the overall balance between the two lines rather than focusing on the writing line. I hope this example illustrates that.

- Salman

That's quite beautiful on that second line, Salman. Thank you. It's very inspiring. I shall try to be more free in my writing too.

What's that alif height letter with a dot on top at the beginning of the second word though?

Edited by antikva

its "noon" and it makes the same sound as english letter "N"

its actually not that tall in height.it supposed to be two or three times smaller than how salman has written

this is how it is written.notice the second letter.it is "noon". and you can see it hardly looks like "aliph"

http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag175/ink00/nn_zps51fea488.jpg

when "noon" it self is the last letter of the word then it will be written like following to complete the word

http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag175/ink00/n_zps69dd4977.jpg

but whenever it is not the last letter of the word then it will be written in its shorter form,just like what you see in first word

Edited by silver ink

Thank you, silver ink. Yeah, I've seen noon written like that, with its small teeth, but never that tall. I was wondering if it was a noon or if he was joining zaay. I guess it wouldn't be that confusing if I actually knew the word though. :) And I can get why one would want to make the tooth a bit taller than usual in its initial position. It looks more balanced.

in a word if there is a letter after "zaay"..then zaay cannot be joined with it.

"zaay" will be written in its full form and the next letter will be written separately in that word

first letter below is "zaay" and is not joined with second letter "meem"

http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag175/ink00/z_zpsb6f4c164.jpg

same will apply for "raay" "erray" "daal" "ddaal"

Edited by silver ink

Thank you, silver ink. Yeah, I've seen noon written like that, with its small teeth, but never that tall. I was wondering if it was a noon or if he was joining zaay. I guess it wouldn't be that confusing if I actually knew the word though. :) And I can get why one would want to make the tooth a bit taller than usual in its initial position. It looks more balanced.

You got it - I did write a bit too long just to differentiate it that bit more than the teeth of the following 'Seen'.

silver ink - your examples of Nastaliq are really nice but I don't think a Calligraphic hand translates well into handwriting. The closest hand to cursive handwriting in my opinion is Shikasta but that has so many strange (e.g. the inside out 'noon') shapes that beginners would be confused by it.

- Salman

i also want to learn arabic calligraphy

Welcome to FPN silver ink - what hand have you chosen to start with? Maybe we can learn together and share our practice sheets. I started a thread about learning Naskh a while ago but let it slide as I was the only one participating. In fact, this thread got started as an offshoot of the Calligraphy one.

- Salman

Welcome to FPN silver ink - what hand have you chosen to start with? Maybe we can learn together and share our practice sheets. I started a thread about learning Naskh a while ago but let it slide as I was the only one participating. In fact, this thread got started as an offshoot of the Calligraphy one.

- Salman

sir i am not actually familiar with these terms nastaliq and naskh.

i have to learn them yet as i am just starting

i just try to write the entire word as i see it and have not yet practiced only letters

alone

we can learn together

were is the "naskh" thread?

Edited by silver ink

http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag175/ink00/i_zpsed32d9fc.jpg

I guess it's this thread: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/229614-learning-arabic-calligraphy/

I'm not that into calligraphy myself – I'm mostly interested in the language and handwriting in general, but I'll follow your progress with interest.

thanks

let me see it

sir i am not actually familiar with these terms nastaliq and naskh.

i have to learn them yet as i am just starting

i just try to write the entire word as i see it and have not yet practiced only letters

alone

we can learn together

were is the "naskh" thread?

sliver ink - there are many different styles of Calligraphy. What we generally see in Pakistan (on sign boards etc.) is Nastaliq. This is a popular Persian style and has become almost the default style for Urdu. Nastaliq is a beautiful style but isn't one of the easiest.

Naskh is the style used mostly for writing the Quran. This script is both beautiful and comparatively quick to execute. The Taj Company Qurans are written in a modified Naskh (a bit more rounded) script which is used in Indo-Pak mainly. The Qurans from the Arab countries are in the standard Naskh form.

You can see and read about different styles here: http://calligraphyqalam.com/styles/index.html

There are many tutorials available for all different styles. The typical progression is to start with learning individual letters, then each letter joined with every other letter, then onto words and phrases. It takes a while but the process is quite enjoyable.

Regards,

Salman

I've tried to write a bit more freely now – both in regards to the writing line and letter formation. I'm still too slow and insecure to actually develop any kind of flair, but I like how you said to focus on the balance between the two lines, smk. It makes it look much more lively. I need to practice more on the slant, speed and letter formation overall though.

post-113817-0-41592700-1403019661_thumb.jpg

is that tea and kawah written?

Edited by silver ink

Yes. الشاي (the tea) and القهوة (the coffee).

i tried to write kahwah

http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag175/ink00/21_zps9e6a296b.jpg

sliver ink - there are many different styles of Calligraphy. What we generally see in Pakistan (on sign boards etc.) is Nastaliq. This is a popular Persian style and has become almost the default style for Urdu. Nastaliq is a beautiful style but isn't one of the easiest.

Naskh is the style used mostly for writing the Quran. This script is both beautiful and comparatively quick to execute. The Taj Company Qurans are written in a modified Naskh (a bit more rounded) script which is used in Indo-Pak mainly. The Qurans from the Arab countries are in the standard Naskh form.

You can see and read about different styles here: http://calligraphyqalam.com/styles/index.html

There are many tutorials available for all different styles. The typical progression is to start with learning individual letters, then each letter joined with every other letter, then onto words and phrases. It takes a while but the process is quite enjoyable.

Regards,

Salman

thanks sir

now i know

angle of qalam is changed while writing a word in nastaliq?

I've tried to write a bit more freely now – both in regards to the writing line and letter formation. I'm still too slow and insecure to actually develop any kind of flair, but I like how you said to focus on the balance between the two lines, smk. It makes it look much more lively. I need to practice more on the slant, speed and letter formation overall though.

This is very well written Tobias - nobody will have any problems reading this. Your writing flows well and while you may not write as quickly as you would like, it doesn't look labored in the least.

In the slanted style, it is the level of the letters that is slanted, the verticals (like meem and alif) and the horizontals (like baa) aren't moved much. You'll get the hang of it in time - don't force it too much.

Salman