Visconti Bordeaux

Sandy1

☞ For convenient viewing of the images, you may wish to scroll to the menu at the very bottom of this window then ensure the FPN Theme is http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/ecb8726d-1.jpg.

Please take a moment to adjust your gear to accurately depict the Grey Scale below.

As the patches are neutral grey, that is what you should see.

Mac

Wintel PC

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/b4a04182.jpg

☞ As I do not wish to be referred to as 'Queen of The Bandwidth Bandits', image thumbnails are used where indicated. To view those image as intended, kindly left-click its thumbnail.

}~{

Fidelity:

At time of writing, this ink is not depicted on the Visconti site, so one cannot determine if the ink I used is as intended. (Greetings online shoppers!)

Figure 1.

Swabs & Swatch

Paper: HPJ1124.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20review%20-%20Visconti%20Bordeaux/INK737_zps4dca5ed5.jpg

Figure 2.

NIB-ism ✑

Depicts nibs' line-width and pens' relative wetness.

Distance between feint vertical pencil lines is 25mm.

Thumbnail:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20review%20-%20Visconti%20Bordeaux/th_INK740_zps79641b9a.jpg

Pens: L ➠ R: Sheaffer, 600, C74, Carene, P99, 1911m.

Figure 3.

Paper base tints:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Private%20Reserve%20Chocolate/86f3378c.jpg

L ➠ R: HPJ1124, Rhodia, G Lalo, Royal, Staples.

WRITTEN SAMPLES - Moby Dick

Ruling: 8mm.

Figure 4.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20review%20-%20Visconti%20Bordeaux/INK741_zpsf93437d7.jpg

Figure 5.

Paper: Rhodia.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20review%20-%20Visconti%20Bordeaux/INK742_zps6d9525ec.jpg

Figure 6.

Paper: G Lalo.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20review%20-%20Visconti%20Bordeaux/INK743_zps06c085b3.jpg

Figure 7.

Paper: Royal.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20review%20-%20Visconti%20Bordeaux/INK744_zps12786056.jpg

Figure 8.

Paper: Staples.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20review%20-%20Visconti%20Bordeaux/INK745_zps92c278a8.jpg

Figure 9.

Grocery List

Paper: Pulp.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20review%20-%20Visconti%20Bordeaux/INK747_zpsd1a587d2.jpg

OTHER STUFF

Figure 10.

Smear/Dry Times & Wet Tests.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20review%20-%20Visconti%20Bordeaux/INK739_zpsc4bb2f9b.jpg

GENERAL DESCRIPTION

Type:

• Dye-based fountain pen ink.

Presentation:

• Funktional plastic bottle.

Availability:

• Available when Topic posted.

Daily writer?

• For those who use Red on a routine basis.

A go-to ink?

• For my weekly letter to Santa Claus.

USE

Business:

(From the office of Ms Blue-Black.)

• As a group, the Red-centric inks run the risk of being overly personal and/or shouting, so their Business use may be limited by those characteristcs.
  • A fine choice for those using a range of colours on a routine basis, especially for 'colour coded' work; and that work, including marginalia, is to be highly readable.
  • The very high line quality and absence of bleed- show-through on all papers used makes VBor a top pick for error correction and grading.
  • Even though VBor is not a strident red, it may be much too much for editing or mark-up.

Graphics / Illustrations:

• Definitely.
  • Another welcome addition to the warm part of the palette for any chart or graph.
  • The shading may need to be suppressed for taut lines or tiny labels.
  • A Red without overt Blue, Brown or Orange cast whose lack of water resistance makes it a contender for use as a watercolour wash, and reworking on wet canvas or paper.

Students:

• Best kept aside for tasks mentioned under Business Use.
  • Lack of water resistance requires safeguarding one's work.

Personal:

• Such a wonderful ink! Alas, Red ink does not often find its way into the pen I'm holding. :(
  • My personal preferences aside, VBor handled all the pens & papers used in the Written Samples with graceful ease, so the field is clear for those who lve to use Red inks.
  • There is just enough shading potential to keep the ink fluid and soft, but not so much that VBor would be so gauche as to flash Pink.
  • I do fuss about when choosing the accompanying pen & paper when using Red-centric inks for personal correspondence. As these things go, I'll use either a somewhat narrow nib or one that's quite wide. For the paper, I often choose a more personal non-business format, less than A4, though very wide margins on an A4 sheet of splendid paper can be quite attractive.

PHYSICAL PERFORMANCE & CHARACTERISTICS

Flow Rate:

• Middling.

Nib Dry-out:

• Not seen.

Start-up:

• Immediate.
  • With confidence.

Lubricity:

• Greater than most.
  • Less that Visconti Blue.

Nib Creep:

• Not noticed.

Staining (pen):

• Not seen after five days.

Clogging:

• Not seen.

Bleed- Show-Through:

• Not seen on papers used. :thumbup:
  • Staples 20lb: LINK

Feathering / Wooly Line:

• Imaginary.
  • (See HiRes image of the 1911m on Royal below.)

Aroma:

• None.

Hand oil sensitivity:

• Not noticed.

Clean-Up (pen):

• Very fast and thorough with plain water.
  • May appeal to those who may change colour on-the-fly or in the field.

Mixing:

• No stated prohibitions.

Archival:

• Not claimed.

Smear & Smudge Dry Times - Extended Test:

• As VBor may be used to write within a greeting card, I wrote a bit on the [slightly] coated stock of a postcard. The ink achieved good purchase on the surface; after about one minute became smear resistant; after three minutes the ink could not be smudged when rubbed with my naked thumb at white knuckle pressure.
  • As the stock used for greeting cards varies a great deal, YMMV a great deal.

THE LOOK

Presence:

• Soft warmth.
  • Silky.

Saturation:

• Middling.
  • Can generate a fully inked line.

Shading:

• High potential, persistent.
  • Possible from narrow nibs. :clap1:

Line quality:

• Very high on all papers used.

Variability:

• Pen+nib combos used:
    • A bit greater than expected.

[*]Papers used:

• Less than expected.

[*]Malleability:

• Quite good indeed.
    • The wily practitioner would choose pen before paper.
    • VBor has a very strong performance profile that allows one to explore a wide range of density, line width & shape, and shading potential.

Hi-Res Scans:

Originals are 60x30mm.

All images are thumbnails.

Sheaffer on HPJ1124:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20review%20-%20Visconti%20Bordeaux/th_INK748_zpsabe59657.jpg

C74 on Rhodia:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20review%20-%20Visconti%20Bordeaux/th_INK749_zps71ead07d.jpg

Carene on G Lalo:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20review%20-%20Visconti%20Bordeaux/th_INK751_zps08e5658b.jpg

1911m on Royal:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20review%20-%20Visconti%20Bordeaux/th_INK752_zps0eb66898.jpg

OTHER INKS

This Review uses the same Written Sample format, atrocious handwriting and some pen+paper combos common to most of my previous Reviews of Red-centric inks. Consequently, ad hoc comparisons through manipulation of browser windows is supported.

Should that functionality not meet your requirements, I welcome your PM requesting a specific comparison. Additional scans may be produced, but the likelihood of additional inky work is quite low.

Swab Swami:

Thumbnail:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20review%20-%20Visconti%20Bordeaux/th_INK738_zps315c2435.jpg

Left ➠ Right: Parker Quink Red, Montblanc Burgundy Red, Noodler's Tiananmen, Diamine Syrah.

PAPERS

Lovely papers:

• All!
  • VBor paper!
  • Performance on the hard laid surface of the G Lalo was amongst the best I've seen - even from a somewhat dry narrow nib - the ink was readily absorbed, giving a crisp shaded line.

Trip-wire Papers: ☠

• Not seen.

Copy/Printer Paper:

• Excellent for a simple dye-based ink.

Tinted Papers:

• Could handle most pale tints, though I would trend away from anything too Champagne-Yellow.

Is high-end paper 'worth it'?

• Depending on the whim of the author - appearance over performance.
  • As expected, the shading potential increases on the smooth coated papers such as Rhodia & Clairefontaine Triomphe.

ETC.

Majik:

• Possible from a fair hand, though the energetic colour of the ink may override conjuring.

Billets Doux?

• I certainly think so.

Personal Pen & Paper Pick:

• Tough to pick just one, but I'll go for the 600 on the G Lalo.
  • I like the density and narrow line, which still has a bit of soft shading and very high line quality. Those characteristics also allow the ink to breathe a bit, so the colour does not dominate the page.
  • The natural base-tint of the paper lowers the 'zip' on the page, and the textured surface provides some interplay with the narrow line.

Yickity Yackity:

• It never fails to amaze me that I set aside some wonderful inks only because of their colour.
  • If I can't always dance to the
    it plays, I can hum along.
  • Ah kushbaby, if you're looking for exactly one Red, this could be it. (Have you read that before?)

= = = = =

NUTS BOLTS & BOILERPLATE

Pens

• Written Samples:

A. Sheaffer Balance (Junior?) + Feather Touch № 5 14K nib.
*OooLaLa

B. rotring 600 + 18K F nib.

C. Pilot Custom 74 + 14K SFM nib.

D. Waterman Carene + 18K M nib.

E. Pelikan P99 Technix (Blue) + steel B nib.

F. Sailor 1911m + 14K two-tine MS nib.

• Lines & labels:

Pelikan 4001 BBrn from a Pilot Penmanship + XF.

Papers

• HPJ1124: Hewlett-Packard laser copy/print, 24lb.
  • Rhodia: satin finish vellum, 80gsm.
  • G. Lalo: Verge de France, natural white, laid, 100gsm.
  • Royal: 25% cotton, laser/inkjet copy/print, 'letterhead', 90gsm.
  • Staples: house brand multi-use copy/print, USD4/ream, bears FSC logo, 20lb.
  • Pulp: Calendar page.

Imaging

• An Epson V600 scanner was used with the bundled Epson s/w at factory default settings to produce low-loss jpg files.
  • Figures shown were scanned at 200 dpi & 24 bit colour.
  • Hi-Res images linked were scanned at 300 dpi & 24 bit colour.
  • No post-capture manipulation of scanner output was done, other than dumb-down by Epson, Photobouquet, IP.Board s/w, and your viewing gear.

Densitometer Readings on HPJ1124.

• Red 212
  • Grn 90
  • Blu 114
  • Lum 120

Fine Print

The accuracy and relevance of this Review depends in great part upon consistency and reliability of matériel used.

Ink does not require labelling/notice to indicate (changes in) formulation, non-hazardous ingredients, batch ID, date of manufacture, etc.

As always YMMV, due to differences in materials, manner of working, environment, etc.

Also, I entrust readers to separate opinion from fact; to evaluate inferences and conclusions as to their merit; and to be amused by whatever tickles your fancy.

-30-

Tags: Fountain Pen Ink Review Sandy1 Visconti Bordeaux Visconti Red Ink

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• JefferyS

• jgrasty

• RudyR

Another wonderful review. Would have preferred that the accompanying soundtrack was instrumental, but it's still appropriate! :lol:

Hi,

Many thanks for the kind words!

You are correct in that hula dance music is most often instrumental. ;)

Bye,

S1

Another Great review Sandy. How did you like the bottle?

Hi,

Thanks!

After the glass bottles were withdrawn from the market, the plastic bottle took some getting used to. I think it is still one of the better shapes for charging a pen, and getting most of the bottle's contents directly into a pen. Certainly favoured for Snorkies & petite ring-top pens.

With the glass bottles, when one used the box as a container to stabilise the bottle, one could not see the ink level. The clear plastic capsule dome solved that shortcoming, but introduced another: the dome and the base of the capsule do not close/mate: needs a latch or thread or bayonet or plug, etc. And Gorilla Tape is de trop. . . . I'm not too too concerned about the porosity of the plastic over time. (Unlike soft plastic tankers. e.g. ESSRI.)

Bye,

S1

Hi,

Thanks!

After the glass bottles were withdrawn from the market, the plastic bottle took some getting used to. I think it is still one of the better shapes for charging a pen, and getting most of the bottle's contents directly into a pen. Certainly favoured for Snorkies & petite ring-top pens.

With the glass bottles, when one used the box as a containe to stabilise the bottle, one could not see the ink level. The clear plastic capsule dome solved that shortcoming, but introduced another: the dome and the base of the capsule do not close/mate: needs a latch or thread or bayonet or plug, etc. And Gorilla Tape is de trop. . . . I'm not too too concerned about the porosity of the plastic over time. (Unlike soft plastic tankers. e.g. ESSRI.)

Bye,

S1

Maybe people should be concerned about the porosity of the plastic. My bottle of what was a wonderful ink has changed to a less than appealing dried Zombie blood with nasty brown overtones and attending ick. All this happened in less than a year. And, I agree, The bottle itself is a disaster that will happen (and it has to me) to those not familiar with this bottle's top heavy design. Looks nice but it did spill. Now I have it glued to the base. I will though, unhappily, be throwing this one away.

Edited by RudyR

What Would The Flying Spaghetti Monster Do?

Thanks for the review, Sandy. :notworthy1: I like the color a lot, though I've seldom used it. I'll fill up a pen and give it another run, as I really like these bordeaux / burgundy / syrah inks.

The cool looking bottle and its packaging, however, is a ergonomic nightmare. It is absolutely certain that one day you'll grab the package, the bottom will fall out and the bottle will be on its way to your desktop, or worse, the floor. With luck, you won't break it, as the bottle is pretty sturdy plastic. Now, once you have the bottle, watch out, because it isn't particularly stable. Just a little mishandling and that pretty ink is all over your desk.

Nice color though, just a packaging disaster.

Thanks much for the review, Sandy. It looks like a nice ink for personal notes, and a pleasant ink to use. Looks like one I'll put in a TWSBI 540 and keep on my desk. I'm always looking for a well behaved red that isn't angry red.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

Hi,

Thanks!

With the glass bottles, when one used the box as a containe to stabilise the bottle, one could not see the ink level. The clear plastic capsule dome solved that shortcoming, but introduced another: the dome and the base of the capsule do not close/mate: needs a latch or thread or bayonet or plug, etc. And Gorilla Tape is de trop. . . . I'm not too too concerned about the porosity of the plastic over time. (Unlike soft plastic tankers. e.g. ESSRI.)

Bye,

S1

Maybe people should be concerned about the porosity of the plastic. My bottle of what was a wonderful ink has changed to a less than appealing dried Zombie blood with nasty brown overtones and attending ick. All this happened in less than a year. And, I agree, The bottle itself is a disaster that will happen (and it has to me) to those not familiar with this bottle's top heavy design. Looks nice but it did spill. Now I have it glued to the base. I will though, unhappily, be throwing this one away.

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your experience, even though it is unpleasant.

What you have described seems more likely to be contamination / SITB, which I don't think can be caused by the plastic bottle. It seems more likely linked to the changes to formulae / methods of manufacture of inks within the EU to come into compliance with Registration, Evaluation, Authorization and Restriction of Chemicals (REACH) regulations. It seems that some biocides / preservatives previously in use were replaced with others that may be less stable / persistent.

Personally, I prefer glass for storage; and have the unfounded notion that if I intended to keep an ink for more than two years, I'd decant to a suitable sanitised glass bottle.

(See also 'Why are ink bottles made of glass? LINK)

Even though you will "be throwing this one away", will you buy another bottle?

I like your solution to the top-heavy bottle design. :thumbup:

Bye,

S1

Addendum:

The ink used for this Review was purchased about a year ago, and came packaged in a plastic bottle.

I had the presence of mind to compare it to the last of the ink in a 75ml glass bottle that was about six years old. My simple comparison indicated no noteworthy difference between inks.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

Thanks for the review, Sandy. :notworthy1: I like the color a lot, though I've seldom used it. I'll fill up a pen and give it another run, as I really like these bordeaux / burgundy / syrah inks.

The cool looking bottle and its packaging, however, is a ergonomic nightmare. It is absolutely certain that one day you'll grab the package, the bottom will fall out and the bottle will be on its way to your desktop, or worse, the floor. With luck, you won't break it, as the bottle is pretty sturdy plastic. Now, once you have the bottle, watch out, because it isn't particularly stable. Just a little mishandling and that pretty ink is all over your desk.

Nice color though, just a packaging disaster.

Hi,

You're welcome!

As mentioned, I don't use Red all that much, and am pretty fussy when I do use Red.

I will say that the current plastic bottles are less of an "ergonomic nightmare" than ye olde 75ml glass bottles, which didn't come with the classy & useful box that accompanied the small glass bottles. I don't recall charging a pen directly from the 75ml bottles.

I see the potential for slapstick humour in the task of filling from a Visconti bottle. Perhaps there's a U-Tube clip for 'Visconti - Fail'?

Though we gripe about the current packaging, I would not want to hear the hue and cry should the current bottle be replaced by a less elegant ink pot - we want to have our cake and eat it too. :)

Bye,

S1

Thanks much for the review, Sandy. It looks like a nice ink for personal notes, and a pleasant ink to use. Looks like one I'll put in a TWSBI 540 and keep on my desk. I'm always looking for a well behaved red that isn't angry red.

Hi,

You're welcome!

The ink does have a soft aspect - not the least bit an "angry red". I don't think anyone reading a routine personal letter written with VR would take it to be irritating.

Please let us know of your experience when paired with the 540.

Bye,

S1

I'm not quite sure how a red ink can be angry, but I did just inadvertently discover that Visconti Bordeaux and Noodler's Tiananmen are nearly identical. :headsmack:

I think I have this ink, but when I double-checked it, there is no name of the ink anywhere I looked on the bottle. I think I remember buying it from an Amazon.com seller, so I should have a record of it.

Does your bottle actually have the word Bordeaux somewhere on it?

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

I think I have this ink, but when I double-checked it, there is no name of the ink anywhere I looked on the bottle. I think I remember buying it from an Amazon.com seller, so I should have a record of it.

Nothing says "Bordeaux" on my bottle, either. The bottom of the package has a label that says "BDX".

Wonderful review! Thanks!!! I love the color of this ink, but I prefer it in broad nibs...unfortunately my handwriting becomes illegible with bigger nibs when I am in a hurry so I reserve this for journalist when speed is not an issue!

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

I'm not quite sure how a red ink can be angry, but I did just inadvertently discover that Visconti Bordeaux and Noodler's Tiananmen are nearly identical. :headsmack:

Hi,

Ah, perhaps 'angry Red' stems from the Western practice of using Red for error correction in school & business: Red = Stop. (Yet for personal writing, it may be 'passionate Red'.)

Red is an ancient dye-stuff with a colourful history, having many uses and associations across cultures over the millennia. Wiki 'Red Colour'

Ascribing only one attribute to Red may be a personal reaction, akin to a word association exercise, 'Say the first thing that comes to mind . . .'

Tiananmen is shown third from the right in the Swab Swami:

Thumbnail:
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20review%20-%20Visconti%20Bordeaux/th_INK738_zps60c4fea5.jpg

As fortune would have it, I have posted a Review of Noodler's Tiananmen HERE. If you or anyone else would like to see same-image scan/s comparing the two inks, I welcome your PM.

Bye,

S1

EDIT - to add:

Here's the label from the box of ye olde 75ml bottle: certainly not an 'angry Red'.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20review%20-%20Visconti%20Bordeaux/INK769_zps40d65b4c.jpg

Edited by Sandy1

A phrase that a person is "seeing red" generally denotes anger. People think it makes bulls angry, but I believe that they're color blind.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

Nothing says "Bordeaux" on my bottle, either. The bottom of the package has a label that says "BDX".

Hi

Of all the Visconti inks I have, only the box of the 75ml glass bottle shows the ink names, appearing on two rows, with the first row being Italian 'Bordeaux', and the second row in English 'Burgundy'.

(Also: Nero+Black, Blu+Blue, Turchese+Turquoise, Sepia+Brown. Purple was not yet in the market.)

FWIW, Sheaffer is also shy about labeling their writing fluids.

Bye,

S1

EDIT - to add:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20review%20-%20Visconti%20Bordeaux/INK768_zps4c40db34.jpg

Edited by Sandy1