Moleskine Hobbit Notebooks

Tulku

Australia tends to get the stick end of the pricing regime :( so many different factors, i'll get to actually analyzing it one day.

My two best writers.

http://s2.postimg.org/v3a1772ft/M1000_Black_L_R.jpg..........http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/1217/85960889.png

.........I call this one Günter. ......... I call this one Michael Clarke Duncan.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Good Captain

• 79spitfire

• Renfield

• daTomoT

Theres a thought...a Visconti Balrog Limited Addition FP in fire red

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj162/mjgordon8081/Briarwood_Capped3.jpg

Nakaya Briarwood Deep Gloss

"Your friends will know you better in the first minute you meet than your acquaintances will know you in a thousand years."

In that these are 'limited edition', does anybody know how long they'll be available to buy for? Can we surmise it from the lifetime of previous LE Moleskines? Thanks.

Please check out my blog, datbookreviews, for all Fiction and Fantasy book reviews!

Now with Increasing Fountain Pen Related Posts!

Pelikan M200, Hero 608, Parker IM, Serwex 162, Manuscript Calligraphy Pen, Lamy Vista, Guanleming 956, Mabie Todd 200/60, Noodler's Konrad. Grail Pen: Yard-O-Led Viceroy Victorian.

I don't see these available anywhere in the US yet. Anyone else?

I was hoping Amazon would carry them but it looks like they briefly had preorders and then those vanished. I managed to score two of them early at a local bookstore who had no idea when they were supposed to go on sale (picture at link below) and REALLY like the covers on these.

https://twitter.com/aaronliao/status/266366634271326210

Available in the Moleskine US store here :)

Thank you. I don't know why I couldn't find them myself. I'm usually pretty handy with the interweb ;)

pentulant [adjective]: immodest or wanton in search of all things related to pens<BR> [proper noun]: Christine Witt Visit Pentulant<br>

President, Brush Dance - we make high-quality, mindful Calendars, Planners, Journals, and other fun stuff you'll love

I've used Moleskine and had good results with finer nibs and Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black, and R&K Scabiosa, which is very similar to Salix, but purple.

I've switched to, and love, Rhodia Webbies, but these, the LEGO, and the Star Wars notebooks have all tempted me greatly, but I'm starting to use broader nibs, so I've been very cautious. This might be enough to push me over the edge again...

ESS Registrar's Ink works perfectly in all Moleskines 100% of the time. I have yet to meet paper that this ink bleeds on or through.

Steve. Just plain ol' Steve.

• 3 weeks later...

The good thing about Chapters/Indigo in Canada is their specialty journals go on discount fairly quickly, and decently cheap, however I have no clue about their shipping outside of Canada.

If you're interested in the Hobbit Moleskines, go to their website and just keep watching the price in the next few months. The Lego Moleskine's went to 30% off fairly fast after they were released, and their co-branded specialty Moleskines went as low as 75% off earlier this year, their price started dropping 2 months after release.

ETA: Except, now that I check again, my local store has lots of stock, but the website seems mostly sold out. I guess they're a lot more popular than the Lego Moleskines were....

Edited by waiter60

Great looking cover. However, like others here, I am disappointed with the paper of Moleskine. And that's after 1 Cahier and 1 Classic notebook. And that's with the cheapest Parker Jotter. The local Starbucks planner performed so much better than my Moleskines. :P

dear god, why did it have to be moleskin =_= haha just griping. I think I am going to steer clear of all this Hobbit stuff. The movie has been building up on itself for so very long, I am just over it. I'll still probably see it at the cinema (apparently its being shown at a new frame rate, I just want to see if i throw up while watching it), but I am not one for movie merchandise.

Agree - moleskin - it's Latin for toilet paper.

ROTFLMHO!!! Thanks for the morning smile mate! Smile?? More like a belly laugh!

Leo :roflmho:

Leo James Mitchell

I got mine the other day from Moleskine but being the geek I am I may not even open it. I'm going to wait until B&N has them to pick up another which I'll probably attempt to use. I find it acceptable with a fine nib and a dry ink, like x-feather of even Pelikan 4001 black.

Be nice if the made it in a daily calendar also, as I'm going to try a Moleskine calendar for 2013

Barnes and Noble has them now, just checked.

Edited by Pippin60

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

dear god, why did it have to be moleskin =_= haha just griping. I think I am going to steer clear of all this Hobbit stuff. The movie has been building up on itself for so very long, I am just over it. I'll still probably see it at the cinema (apparently its being shown at a new frame rate, I just want to see if i throw up while watching it), but I am not one for movie merchandise.

I heard a story on the news a week or so ago in which the Tolkein estate was suing the movie company (and possibly also Peter Jackson) over the movie tie-in merchandising. They apparently weren't amused by it at all.

As for the Moleskin notebooks, I was kinda appalled by the price. But then, I'm appalled by the price of *regular* Moleskin notebooks, for what you get page/size-wise. Even now that Moleskins are being sold at places like Target.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

The only thing that has disappointed me about the Hobbit moleskins is the size...too damned small imho. :glare:

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj162/mjgordon8081/Briarwood_Capped3.jpg

Nakaya Briarwood Deep Gloss

"Your friends will know you better in the first minute you meet than your acquaintances will know you in a thousand years."

The only thing that has disappointed me about the Hobbit moleskins is the size...too damned small imho. :glare:

That's cause they're made for hobbits! ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I picked one up at Barnes & Noble today (using part of a gift card my mom gave me). It was a little spendy, but I'm a Tolkien fan, and I couldn't resist. It's very pretty, and even comes with Thorin's map inside. I'll just have to ink up a fine pen with a dry ink and take my chances. I think it's worth it! :)

"Wer schweigt, stimmt zu."

I got one just before Christmas. The large, plain version as I preferred the cover design and colour.

My only dilemma is: what to write in it? I don't want to make it just one of the chain of journals or jotting books I've on the go all the time. Also, there's nothing particularly interesting or thought-provoking in my mind that's worth noting down for posterity.

I'm not religious in any way so quotes etc are out altogether. There aren't enough pages to make a page-a-day, one-year journal.

Most importantly, I want it to be a one-off, 'final' book. In other words, once it's filled that will be it, from beginning to end.

I've still one idea up my sleeve and I've chosen the ink I'll use - probably!

So; what would you write in one?!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

I got one just before Christmas. The large, plain version as I preferred the cover design and colour.

I keep journals pretty regularly, so I had planned on just inserting it into the rotation. I'm hoping that I can make the paper work with Diamine Ancient Copper in one of my pens, because I think that the color would go well with the overall feel of the journal. If I was a traveler, I'd probably make it a sort of travel log, but unfortunately, with three small kids, the most I do is go to work and the grocery store! :)

So what's your idea? I want to hear it!

"Wer schweigt, stimmt zu."

I keep journals pretty regularly, so I had planned on just inserting it into the rotation. I'm hoping that I can make the paper work with Diamine Ancient Copper in one of my pens, because I think that the color would go well with the overall feel of the journal. If I was a traveler, I'd probably make it a sort of travel log, but unfortunately, with three small kids, the most I do is go to work and the grocery store! :)

So what's your idea? I want to hear it!

Can't mention the idea yet but I can say that Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black is perfect for the paper as it always was. That's with a relatively 'wide' Pelikan M805 Fine nib.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

On a totally separate side note. For those of you who have now seen "The Hobbit," was anyone else admiring the spectacular penmanship by "Bilbo" at the start of the movie? I only wish I could grab one of these journals and fill it with writing as beautiful as that.

“You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, 'Why not?'”

“Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”

- George Bernard Shaw

On a totally separate side note. For those of you who have now seen "The Hobbit," was anyone else admiring the spectacular penmanship by "Bilbo" at the start of the movie? I only wish I could grab one of these journals and fill it with writing as beautiful as that.

+1,

but I think I can live with just being able to write like that!

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png