#61 Chrissy

Chrissy

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,419 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:19

A follow-up question--polish the nib, or leave the aged patina on the gold?

I would polish it and use it. Having said that I currently have 2 Montblanc WE's that I have never inked up, so I'm hardly one to talk!

postcardde9.png

#62 Paul Raposo

Paul Raposo

Antique

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2012 - 18:41

Thank you, David :thumbup: Go forth and ink that pen! While you're doing that, I'm going to look online for a piston fill 360.

Make sure it fits your hand, Paul. These pens virtually enforce the tripod grip. That's no problem if you're used to that, but if not...

Interesting point, Peter, thank you. I tend to turn my nib a little to the left, I wonder how the tri-corn section would affect that?
There are a thousand thoughts lying within a man that he does not know till he takes up a pen to write.
--William Makepeace Thackeray

Visit my blog to see the pens I have for sale

Paul's Pens

#63 Paul Raposo

Paul Raposo

Antique

• Premium - Ruby

• 2,211 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2012 - 18:43

A follow-up question--polish the nib, or leave the aged patina on the gold?

I would polish it and use it. Having said that I currently have 2 Montblanc WE's that I have never inked up, so I'm hardly one to talk!

Well, I won't give you a finger wag on those two pens :happyberet: I ended not polishing the nib and gave it a light buff with a silk cloth, and it shined up nicely.
There are a thousand thoughts lying within a man that he does not know till he takes up a pen to write.

Paul's Pens

#64 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,137 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2012 - 18:55

Thank you, David :thumbup: Go forth and ink that pen! While you're doing that, I'm going to look online for a piston fill 360.

Make sure it fits your hand, Paul. These pens virtually enforce the tripod grip. That's no problem if you're used to that, but if not...

Interesting point, Peter, thank you. I tend to turn my nib a little to the left, I wonder how the tri-corn section would affect that?

If you buy from someone like John Mottishaw he will rotate the nib to suit your hand. He would likely need some pictures and writing samples from you.

How pierceful grows the hazy yon! How myrtle petaled thou! For spring hath sprung the cyclotron - How high browse thou, brown cow? -- Churchy LaFemme, 1950

Anyone so limited that they can only spell a word one way suffers a severe handicap. -- jar

The last pen I bought will be the next to last pen I ever buy! --jar

#65 eric47

eric47

Tentative bohemian sniffing the celluloid

• Member - Gold

• 4,261 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 19:35

If you buy from someone like John Mottishaw he will rotate the nib to suit your hand. He would likely need some pictures and writing samples from you.

I use the tripod grip and the 360 doesn't work for me in stock form. In stock form it's a hit or miss pen. It's not the grip alone which determines matter a, and even having the nib angled off baseline. It's probably everything, grip, nib position, hand and wrist position as well. My problem is I have to tweak my wrist uncomfortably for the nib to hit the page properly.

jar is correct that, the nib can be rotated when the stock nib position doesn't work. I just pulled the nib myself, rotated and tested until I found the sweet spot for my grip.
Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)

#66 Paul Raposo

Paul Raposo

Antique

• Premium - Ruby

• 2,211 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 November 2012 - 20:36

I use the tripod grip and the 360 doesn't work for me in stock form. In stock form it's a hit or miss pen. It's not the grip alone which determines matter a, and even having the nib angled off baseline. It's probably everything, grip, nib position, hand and wrist position as well. My problem is I have to tweak my wrist uncomfortably for the nib to hit the page properly.
jar is correct that, the nib can be rotated when the stock nib position doesn't work. I just pulled the nib myself, rotated and tested until I found the sweet spot for my grip.

Thank you for these points, jar and Eric.

If this is something I look into, then I'll have to actually give the pen a try before deciding to buy one. Re-setting the nib is something I can do, but would have to seriously love the pen to commit myself to it.

Paul's Pens

#67 raging.dragon

raging.dragon

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,981 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 November 2012 - 22:54

Thank you for these points, jar and Eric.

If this is something I look into, then I'll have to actually give the pen a try before deciding to buy one. Re-setting the nib is something I can do, but would have to seriously love the pen to commit myself to it.

Could you make it to one of the Toronto or Cambridge pen meets?

#68 youstruckgold

youstruckgold

Aspiring Omastery

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:03

What a popular topic!

Great decision and so pleased that you loved it (thanks to a little nail work!)

As for the 360s - I love mine and, as long as you don't go for the high-brid modern design (which Omas themselves seem to have moved away from too), they are a great pen - and a little different. Just go to a pen store first and get a feel for whether its comforable for you.

Otherwise, go find an Omas celluloid from around the early 1990s :cloud9:
The rung of a ladder was never meant to rest upon, but only to hold a man's foot long enough to enable him to put the other somewhat higher - Thomas Huxley
Posted Image

#69 leod

leod

Inksane

• Member - Gold

• 1,026 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 November 2012 - 15:53

congrats for inking the LE pen! how will you know they are good writers if you don't ink them?

Here's a writing sample I posted on other thread of one of my daily carry pen:

Posted Image
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing

#70 raging.dragon

raging.dragon

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,981 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 November 2012 - 16:56

congrats for inking the LE pen! how will you know they are good writers if you don't ink them?

Is that a factory stub?

#71 leod

leod

Inksane

• Member - Gold

• 1,026 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 November 2012 - 19:48

Is that a factory stub?

Yes it is! a nice springy nib :thumbup:
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing