Using L E Pens?

Paul Raposo

Hey all.

Picked up an Omas 50 FAO yesterday that's never been inked. Looks like a great smooth, medium nib. Any opinions on inking up unused LE pens as daily writers?

There are a thousand thoughts lying within a man that he does not know till he takes up a pen to write.

--William Makepeace Thackeray

Visit my blog to see the pens I have for sale

Paul's Pens

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul Raposo

• torstar

• jar

• peterpen53

I guess it's really up to you, but for me not using a pen just takes the speical bond that you develop between the special LE and yourself away.

They are meant to be used...yes you should take care of them but not completely take their essence and purpose away.

Of course there are some LE pens out there that are absolutely non ergonomically shaped that they are meant to act as paper weight more than anything else...

ink that baby up!

I guess it's really up to you, but for me not using a pen just takes the speical bond that you develop between the special LE and yourself away.

They are meant to be used...yes you should take care of them but not completely take their essence and purpose away.

Of course there are some LE pens out there that are absolutely non ergonomically shaped that they are meant to act as paper weight more than anything else...

ink that baby up!

I'm embarrassed to say I didn't think of it this way. I guess we'd be each others "first" :rolleyes: I also have an Omas Italia 90 that I'm planning to sell because I just can't get used to the fine flex nib. But the medium nib on this LE pen is very tempting--firm and smooth. I'm definitely going to follow your advice, Mkim, and ink that baby up!

There are a thousand thoughts lying within a man that he does not know till he takes up a pen to write.

Paul's Pens

I can't think of any of my LE pens I haven't used. In fact I just flushed out one that was an edition of only 100 pens.

You're a stronger man than me, jar. I think if you can use a LE pen out of 100, I can surely use a LE pen out of 6000. Thanks, jar :thumbup:

Paul's Pens

Consider all the people who order custom made pens from the likes of Brian Gray. They order these pens for writing (at least from the reviews I've read), and these are limited editions of one.

+1 on this. I've got an Edison custom on order, it'll be a limited edition of just one and you can be sure that I'll be using it when it arrives. If I just wanted to look at something, I'd buy a painting.

<span style='font-size: 12px;'><span style='font-family: Trebuchet MS'><span style='color: #0000ff'><strong class='bbc'>Mitch</strong></span><span style='color: #0000ff'>

=======

http://exploratorius.us

Consider all the people who order custom made pens from the likes of Brian Gray. They order these pens for writing (at least from the reviews I've read), and these are limited editions of one.

And here I am bellyaching about 0732/6000 :headsmack: I need to get over my nervousness about pens.

Paul's Pens

A follow-up question--polish the nib, or leave the aged patina on the gold?

Paul's Pens

+1 on this. I've got an Edison custom on order, it'll be a limited edition of just one and you can be sure that I'll be using it when it arrives. If I just wanted to look at something, I'd buy a painting.

But you can't carry a painting in your pocket! But seriously, will you be posting pictures?

Paul's Pens

I guess you have to ask whether you bought the pen for looking at, with a view to resale at a later point in time, or whether you bought it for use. I buy all my pens to use them so it is a very easy decision about inking it up. The hardest question is then which ink to use first. :)

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

But you can't carry a painting in your pocket! But seriously, will you be posting pictures?

Yes, you can -- I've painted some watercolors that are small enough to be carried in your wallet.

Yes, I'll post photos after it arrives, but that'll be many weeks yet.

<span style='font-size: 12px;'><span style='font-family: Trebuchet MS'><span style='color: #0000ff'><strong class='bbc'>Mitch</strong></span><span style='color: #0000ff'>

=======

http://exploratorius.us

A follow-up question--polish the nib, or leave the aged patina on the gold?

Gold seldom develops a patina, it's more likely old ink and so very possible it was used already.

My Website

It's scary to use things that are hard to replace, I totally understand that. But in my estimation, the joy I get from using pens I love outweighs my concern. I just make sure to take extra special care of it - buy a soft but protective carrying case for it to take in my bag, don't use it on the subway where people can knock it out of my hand, that sort of thing.

I've got a lot of LE, some a run of 12, some a run of 26, and some a run of 10,000. I use them all in varying degrees of how comfortable they feel in my hand and how much I like writing with them.

I am a bit late to the topic but like Jar I will not own a pen that can't be used. Limited Editions are just a way of selling pens as far as I am concerned.

Amos

The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Albert Einstein

Are you likely to carry a LE pen that you won't ink?

Stefan Vorkoetter

Visit my collection of fountain pen articles at StefanV.com.

A pen from my collection:

spacer.png

You've already decided to ink your pen, so I'll just say, Hooray!

I mean, I wouldn't push anyone (too hard) to ink his LE pens, but I will point out that I ink up all of my pens. They might not stay in rotation, but I gotsta know!1 Recently, for example, I brought my Montblanc Hemingway back into rotation. It's Autumn, and the Hemingway is so pretty (ahem, I mean handsome), looks like New England in the Fall. I've had the pen for about 20 years, and it's spent most of that time un-inked, but that's only because of all the other pens I had to use.

I hope you love your Omas's M nib!

1 "Do you feel lucky, punk? Well, do ya?" -Dirty Harry

"I gotsta know." -Punk

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

I guess you have to ask whether you bought the pen for looking at, with a view to resale at a later point in time, or whether you bought it for use. I buy all my pens to use them so it is a very easy decision about inking it up. The hardest question is then which ink to use first. :)

This is a good point, dcpritch. If I decide to sell down the road, I knew I would most likely only get back what I paid, maybe less. But my original gut instinct was to use it. As for ink, I have a bottle of Aurora blue here. Not sure if I want to buy a bottle of Omas, though.

Paul's Pens

Yes, you can -- I've painted some watercolors that are small enough to be carried in your wallet.

How were you able to work with those tiny little brushes and palette :lol:

Paul's Pens