How Many Lamy 2000S Is Too Many?

amk

I've been looking up the various posts on Lamy 2000 variants, special and limited editions recently. Lots of good stuff there!

I've noticed one or two of our members have at the very least what I'd call small handfuls of Lamy 2000s - different editions, different types of pen, different nib sizes. So I'm wondering; how many Lamy 2000s is too many? What size collections do other FPN members have - and what got them into collecting L2000s in the first place?

I'd better declare an interest; I have two. :-)

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bphollin

• amk

• J-san

• ralfstc

Top Posters In This Topic

I have four, one of the first generation, two with a steel nib (not included with the genuine pen of course), and one (partialy) of the last generation. I'd love to have one steel version, either the most recent one or the millenium. But this is not for now. So, five would be my number. For now.

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

That's like asking generally how many fountain pens is too many.

Utterly preposterous. He who dies with the most pens wins!

"The Fountain Pen is an elegant weapon of a more civilized age"

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

PM me if you would like to exchange postcards.

I've been looking up the various posts on Lamy 2000 variants, special and limited editions recently. Lots of good stuff there!

I've noticed one or two of our members have at the very least what I'd call small handfuls of Lamy 2000s - different editions, different types of pen, different nib sizes. So I'm wondering; how many Lamy 2000s is too many? What size collections do other FPN members have - and what got them into collecting L2000s in the first place?

I'd better declare an interest; I have two. :-)

I have two, as well. So the answer is: three is too many. :)

Have none - but would love one. I don't think one is too many.

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice; damn

There goes that fox again.

I am really glad people like 2000s. I think they are terrific looking pens, well-made and elegant. But every time I own one it just feels slightly awkward in my hands. Then I sell it and miss it. I'd love to know what it is that makes these genuinely terrific pens really comfortable for some folk and awkward for others . . . .

Ralf

For me it is size--it's just the perfect fit for my hands in length, girth, and weight. The only other pen that I've owned that fits as well is a Pelikan M600/605.

Yes, I've owned and loved a couple of 605s (and hopefully have another on the way). I like the section shape on these pens a lot, which is a big difference from the Lamy's. Because of the taper I tend to slide down towards the nib (I'm a very light pressure/light grip writer). A 2000 with either a cylindrical or concave section would please me a lot :-)

I've also found the extra nose weight of the all metal section of the 2000s a bit odd.

Curse you, FPN, for making me so picky! (not really)

Ralf

ps. bphollin you design analysis is a wonderful peice of work- bravo!

Edited by ralfstc

I have two of them, one with a fine nib, and one with a medium. I agree with bphollin in that the 2000s fit my hand just right. Weight, size, balance, materials, and nibs. At least one if not both are continuously inked in my rotation. I have my eye on one of the new metal ones as well plus I want to get the other writing modes to match my two Makrolon pens.

Collection Counts: Cross-4, Esterbrook-15, Eversharp-1, Graf von Faber-Castell-1, Jinhao-2, Kaweco-1, Lamy-6, Levenger-2, Monteverde-1, Pilot/Namiki-3, Noodler's-1, Parker-18, Rotring-10, Sailor-1, Sheaffer-19, TWSBI-1, Visconti-4, Waterford-1, Waterman-7

Favorite Inks: Diamine, Levenger, Private Reserve, Noodler's Lexington Gray

three.

I feel so satisfied with my Lamy2000s that there is no desire to keep on buying more. It is that kind of a pen IMO.

You just need two, one in black plastic and one in full steel.

Best

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Well if anyone here feels like they have too many, I'm happy to take them off your hands! I'm still saving for my first...

It's quite nice out here in the sunshine...

Uno.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

One.

(Just to brighten up a gloomy Thursday afternoon. I'm off to hide now)

:thumbup:

I was thinking the same thing.

My more serious answer would be two but really there is no right answer and it is up to an individual.

We get the same in the Montblanc forum with people have lots of 149s.

Personally with there being so many pens out there I don't see the point in getting lots which are very similar in appearance (as is with the 149) or writing stlye (as with Lamy).

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

The concept of "too many" doesn't translate.

Nobody needs more than one fountain pen.

When the number of fountain pen makes you uncomfortable, STOP.

I wish you joy and a little madness.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I have three, although I am wrestling with the idea of a third in steel (opinions on from those who have or are considering both are very welcome).

It's a fantastic pen, and with top quality Lamy service. I have sent two off for nib changes with no charge imposed.

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan