Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black

The Good Captain

And here's the latest scan using 4001 in the CS55.

fpn_1354012968__pelikan_4001_blue-black_cs55-fpn.jpg

I really like this pen and ink partnership, or PIP as I'm calling them in my notes and journals.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Good Captain

• wastelanded

• Daisy

• 79spitfire

It's gorgeous! :D

Not really a scribe, more of a Pharisee...

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

-- Fourth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution

You might want to check out this thread about getting the Pel 4001 Bl-Blk in the States. Because of the advice I received there I have just ordered some from CultPens.com, who would undoubtedly ship to Canada with equal ease. Another poster on the same thread mentioned getting hers from The Writing Desk. (Another site that the Good Cap'n recommended had the better deal -- 5 GBP shipping instead of 10 -- but they were out of the ink, so CultPens got my business.)

I love this ink, or at least the scans of it that I have seen. It just seems to have a perfect balance of blue and grey for my personal taste. And as it happens, I have a firehose Parker Duofold that needs just this sort of ink to tame it. I can't wait to get my order!!!

Thanks Daisy! For future reference, I ordered some from a place in Germany, http://www.seitz-kreuznach.de (no affiliation). A 30ml bottle costs 2.39 Euro, which is about US$3.10. Shipping is a flat 5.90 Euro. I got three bottles of ink (Black, BBlack and Turquoise), one pack of long cartridges, a 50 sheet tablet of MK paper, A5 size, 95gm/m2, and matching envelopes. The entire order was CDN$25 and change. I never, touch wood, have any problems with packages from Germany, and the package arrives exactly seven days after shipping, from any seller there it seems.

They also sell R&K, De Atramentis, Montblanc and Standardgraph inks.

Edited for link

Edited by wastelanded
"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

Wastelanded, thanks so much for the link -- I checked it out and the prices are amazing, even with shipping!!! I also looked at their R&K page -- what a steal! :thumbup:

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

• 3 weeks later...

Wastelanded, thanks so much for the link -- I checked it out and the prices are amazing, even with shipping!!! I also looked at their R&K page -- what a steal! :thumbup:

Daisy, I got my order with no problem, in exactly seven days. All the inks were fine from the travel, even the BB. The MK-Papier is very nice. Watermarked, just enough tooth, good for FPs.

Yep, my next order will have some Leipziger Schwarz. But I really want to try the Standardgraph inks. Fig Brown, Moss Green, and Forget-Me-Not especially.

I think if you keep your order under the limit for duty, etc., the package gets through. Here, if the declared value is under roughly $30 there doesn't seem to be a problem. Mind you $30 at this place gets you a fair bit :cloud9:

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

Arrrgggh... I went back and looked again and it's just like being a very young kid in a candy store where you can't actually read the signs but you know you REALLY want the stuff in the window. :D

They had Pelikan 4001 in all its colors, INCLUDING blue-back, for insanely low prices -- at least on the cartridges: 6 cartridges for 0.62 € (that's 82 cents U.S.). I think those are international shorts, but they also have the longs in a five pack for 1.14 € ($1.50 USD). They do seem to be out of the bottled Blue Black, though they had the honkin' great bottles of Royal Blue and Brilliant Black in stock, but on the other hand they do have all the Edelsteins at REALLY good prices.

They had Lamy nibs for something like $7 USD? I couldn't believe my eyes. The prices are in euros but the rate is 1 USD to 1.34 euros -- not bad at all!

The MK-Papier is very nice. Watermarked, just enough tooth, good for FPs.

May I ask which one you got? I was so amazed -- they not only had A4 but A5, cards, and even envelopes. I was SO in love...

Yep, my next order will have some Leipziger Schwarz. But I really want to try the Standardgraph inks. Fig Brown, Moss Green, and Forget-Me-Not especially.

Those looked delicious! I only wish they'd had more than just a picture of the bottle. But frankly at those prices if you got one you didn't like so much, not a big deal.

Apparently they make their own ink too; I saw store branded cartridges that looked interesting as well, and there was a tiny little writing sample to boot. Couldn't tell much from it but they appeared to be rich, jewel-toned, saturated inks. And VERY inexpensive! 8 cartridges for a single euro -- can't beat it with a stick.

Even the Montblanc carts were very reasonably priced. 8 for 2.99 €.

Mind you $30 at this place gets you a fair bit :cloud9:

You're not kidding! WOW.

Thank you for a very pleasant 20 minutes! It was delicious just looking at the pics and guessing at the German. I can't imagine what fun it'll be to actually shop! Thanks again! :D

(edited to add links and specific Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black info -- please forgive the blatant thread hijack on my part, Good Cap'n!)

Edited by Daisy

• 1 month later...

Better late than never...It was the second ink I bought when I was noobie, remembering it as a standard of mine back in the day of the silver dime.

I was under impressed.

Now I see it is nib and paper sensitive...I may have a black blue party.....I have so many more nibs than back then.

I have a bottle of R&K underway...Blue Black seems to have snuck into my collection.

Pelikan, Waterman, ERRS also.

I seem to be maturing with my taste of inks...like learning sour dirty tasting Bordeaux is suppose to taste that way and liking it.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

For those of you having problems with the Pelikan blue Black turning gray, rather than throwing the cartridge/bottle out, add a touch of blue to get the 'blue' back into the colour.

You don't need much, so do it a bit at a time.

I added some to the blue black in my converter and have managed to get the blue back.

I have noticed that the Pelikan blue black, whether the gray variety or the proper colour, both dry different to colours depending on the paper you are using.

It just so happens that I have a really, really wet Jinhao 159 with a broad nib *and* a 2-oz. bottle of Pelikan Blue-Black. Match made in heaven? We shall see!

For those of you having problems with the Pelikan blue Black turning gray, rather than throwing the cartridge/bottle out, add a touch of blue to get the 'blue' back into the colour.

I added some to the blue black in my converter and have managed to get the blue back.

I have noticed that the Pelikan blue black, whether the gray variety or the proper colour, both dry different to colours depending on the paper you are using.

Let's see if I get it right: just put some blue back into the blue black to get the blue back? Nice tongue twister! :roflmho:

Let's see if I get it right: just put some blue back into the blue black to get the blue back? Nice tongue twister! :roflmho:

Thanks! Now I have a headache.... :blink:

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

• 3 weeks later...

I ask because I'd like to get a few long cartridges to re-use. You're right; never mind Arsene, Sandy knows.

I had gotten a hold of some of the carts, and they were a sickly grey color.

I'm one of the lucky few in the states who still has some of this left, (thank goodness it's a 2oz bottle!). It's (for me) a very pen-dependent ink, in some it shows great color and subtle shading, in others it's just a dry scratchy PITA.

Oh, but when it's in a slightly wet pen does it ever shine!

Hmm. I'll try another colour for the long carts then. And get a bottle of this from ebay.de. It sounds like it's just the thing for my Phileas.

Works wonderfully in mine! (both fine & medium nibs)

Right now I have it in my True Writer Silver Anniversary and my medium nibbed Phileas.

I have also used it successfully in my Phileas with fine and Al Star with fine.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

• 4 weeks later...

Used it all day today! Works great in a Diplomat Magnum. (B, of course) Very smooth and reliable, as well as efficient. wrote all day, and hardly used any of the ink in the converter.

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

• 1 year later...

I just won a bottle on eBay that I bid on for shucks and giggles.

And I thought after I won it . . . don't I have enough Blue Blacks? (it can join ESSRI, Montblanc Midnight, LAMY BlBk in the dry blue blacks category).

Anyone had any experience with adding anything to it to get it wetter? Was thinking maybe a little tiny bit of Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher or Diamine Demim which a saturated and wet?

I don't think that anyone can have enough blue-blacks. Just my opinion of course!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

I don't think that anyone can have enough blue-blacks. Just my opinion of course!

LOL! This is true!

Especially ones you can't buy in this country!

Edited by AlejoPlay

Just received a bottle and inked up my wettest pen . . . my Noodler's Ahab with it and it was a worthwhile purchase. It's a match made in heaven. Beautiful!