2 replies to this topic

#1 Mister K

Mister K

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 00:25

Whatever google-fu I have has failed me so I must inquire about the problem I am facing. I purchased a 252 at the Columbus Pen Show, it was a bit dirty but I thought I could tidy it up. What I failed to do was check the piston. Rookie mistake I know. Anyways, the piston won't draw ink, but it has take up some fluid in the various baths I have given it. What fluid has accumulated can't be forced out. If I work the piston down it bounces as I near the bottom the on its own accord- I believe this must be because of a build up of air pressure in the ink chamber.

I'm not sure if the piston seal is wrecked, or the piston has somehow become inverted- a little fluid comes out the back after I screw the piston back in or something is being blocked by a substance that won't come off either in a water bath or JB fluid bath. Any advice would be most appreciated.

#2 talkinghead

talkinghead

Füllhaltersammler

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,691 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:15

Whatever google-fu I have has failed me so I must inquire about the problem I am facing. I purchased a 252 at the Columbus Pen Show, it was a bit dirty but I thought I could tidy it up. What I failed to do was check the piston. Rookie mistake I know. Anyways, the piston won't draw ink, but it has take up some fluid in the various baths I have given it. What fluid has accumulated can't be forced out. If I work the piston down it bounces as I near the bottom the on its own accord- I believe this must be because of a build up of air pressure in the ink chamber.

I'm not sure if the piston seal is wrecked, or the piston has somehow become inverted- a little fluid comes out the back after I screw the piston back in or something is being blocked by a substance that won't come off either in a water bath or JB fluid bath. Any advice would be most appreciated.

Sounds like there is a major clog somewhere in the feed. You may have to remove the feed from the barrel to clean it properly. But I caution you that if you don't have the correct tools, you could also damage the pen!

I would try running the feed/section area of the pen through a Ultrasonic cleaner filled with a dilute (10:1) water/ammonia solution. If any of the ammonia solution happens to draw up into the barrel, then I would leave it there for a day and see if that doesn't dissolve any of the old ink that may be clogging the feed. You may have to try this a few times over a few days.....patience is the key my friend.

The piston seal would not invert unless someone took it apart and put the seal back on inverted. Apparently some fluid is getting behind the seal also. I don't know if this is due to a worn seal or through your attempts to force any fluid out , as you say the seal "bounces" with air pressure build up. This pressure build up could then be forcing fluid around the seal in your attempts.

Good luck,

Rick
MY-stair-shtook eyn-HOON-dairt noyn und FEART-seeg (Meisterstuck #149)
"the last pen I bought is the next to the last pen I will ever buy.."---jar
WTB: Sheaffer OS Balance with FLEX nibs
Posted Image
Porkopolis Penners Blog

#3 whych

whych

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:34

I agree with talkinghead - the feed must be blocked.
Patience and soak in warm water for a few days.