Would You Like A Free Fully Restored Esterbrook Pen?

OcalaFlGuy

2012-11-12_16-10-12_149.jpg

(Not to shabby for a Droid X phone pic eh? :thumbup: )

FPNer Sasha Royale has made a very generous gift to the Estie Loaner Program, part of which was this Blue SJ. It has been fully disassembled, cleaned, resacced and hand polished to a beautiful luster. It came with a 9550 XF nib but I will work with iut's new owner to try and get a width nib in it they'd prefer more if they'd rather. (That's why it's not uncapped, the section isn't back in until the nib is decided on.) As you can see, it's a beautiful little pen with some nice Streakerness in the patterning. Both of the jewels are clean and the clip is firm to the cap.

It is indeed FREE with the following 3 very small "catches" taken into account;

-In the spirit of the Loaner Program, it is Preferred that the new owner not already be an Estie owner though this Isn't a *requirement* per se. Feel free to enter for the pen even if you do already own or have owned an Estie.

-Agree to be a Loaner Outer in the Estie Loaner Program in accordance with it's guidelines with your new pen for at least 6 months after which you may do with the pen totally as you so please. (In reality, as people seem more interested in the larger Esties, you may not even have to send your new SJ out on loan very often. Still, I thought it would be a fun way to both get a completely free new Estie AND experience some of the fun that is the Estie Loaner Program at the same time.) Any FPNer is eligible to enter who is already a FPN member at the time of this post.

-Write your post in pen, photograph and post it Here Or if you must, TYPE a post Here telling the Esterbrook forum why you would like the pen and want to participate in the Loaner Program. In a week or so, when entries wane, we'll put the entries to a poll vote Here with the winner getting their new pen as it's result. Please limit your entries to no more than 3 per person. Please note whether or not you've had an Estie before somewhere in your entry. *The Total Number of entries is limited to 25 as that's the most slots available on a Poll Post for judging.*

Please take a look and how the Loaner Program works on the first page of it's pinned thread and be sure you are comfortable with being a Loaner Outer before you enter.

Thank you for your interest and participation and Thanks Again to SR for making this possible!

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OcalaFlGuy

• indigirl

• pajaro

• infinitum

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This IS a quite good picture by any means! Congrats! :thumbup: :thumbup:

It is also a quite beautiful pen and the pattern, especially of the barrel, makes me even think of a Visumaster! Lucky the guy who gets it!

Edited by pal38

swisspenpal

Had this come along before last week I'd have jumped all over it, but now I have my own Estie that I don't have to loan out. GREAT giveaway, though.

<span style='font-size: 12px;'><span style='font-family: Trebuchet MS'><span style='color: #0000ff'><strong class='bbc'>Mitch</strong></span><span style='color: #0000ff'>

=======

http://exploratorius.us

Oooh Oooh Oooh Pick me.

I think I can install the section if you are stuck at that stage...

FarmBoy

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Oooh Oooh Oooh Pick me.

FarmBoy

Well, you probably need a pen like the rest of us use to get you away from all those great rarities. LOL.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

After some thought, the 1 year participation in the Loaner Program for the new owner of the contest pen has been reduced to 6 months.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Oooh Oooh Oooh Pick me.

FarmBoy

If you were REALLY good, you could install that section over the phone. ;)

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Hey guys!

I'd love to loan out an Esterbrook... in Australia.

Main (personal) reasons are, I have small hands, like blue and XF. So... the pen is quite a nice fit for me. Kinda new to this hobby, although I have since bought half a dozen pens in the follow month of me joining... :headsmack:

I'm a student who also doesn't make any money. :headsmack:

Extrinsic reasons:

Esterbrooks are kinda rare in Australia.

A loaner in the Southern Hemisphere would be pretty awesome to spread the Esterbrook love and experience.

Apparently, 1 out of 150 people in Melbourne, Australia? write with a fountain pen compared to the 1 out of 30 in the US. A loaner program out here would help spread the love. And clear up the misconceptions that a Lamy safari with converter is worth $60 from the local brick and mortar... :headsmack:

Simply put, fountain pens over here are expensive, rare and rather hard to find out in the wild (in working condition). Users are even rarer.

So yep.

How does that work?

Edited by Mt.Roll

As beautiful as that pen is, and as tempting as it is, to fib... I won't do it.

I just found my first Estie in a junk store, two weeks ago. (I live in the wrong area, or haven't looked in the right places, I guess). It's a red J model, with the 9550 nib. Eye-opening experience... after a thorough cleaning, I loaded it with water and then ink, and it hasn't faltered yet. Sadly, the clip is missing, or it would be an every-day pen. I LOVE the 9550 nib ! Even though it's only my "stay-at-home, desk" pen, I find a use for it, daily.

Some day, when my ship comes in, I'll ask one of the talented FP restorer's to make mine new again, because I dearly love this model/style/brand. It's gonna hurt, tho', to pay more for a new clip, than I paid for the pen !

To Whomever wins this pen: if, for any reason, you don't love it, I'll be happy to pay you the going price, and guarantee it a "good home". And FWIW, I think this is a generous offer, and I commend you all, for doing it.

Take care,

JR

Hey guys!

I'd love to loan out an Esterbrook... in Australia.

Main (personal) reasons are, I have small hands, like blue and XF. So... the pen is quite a nice fit for me. Kinda new to this hobby, although I have since bought half a dozen pens in the follow month of me joining... :headsmack:

I'm a student who also doesn't make any money. :headsmack:

Extrinsic reasons:

Esterbrooks are kinda rare in Australia.

A loaner in the Southern Hemisphere would be pretty awesome to spread the Esterbrook love and experience.

Apparently, 1 out of 150 people in Melbourne, Australia? write with a fountain pen compared to the 1 out of 30 in the US. A loaner program out here would help spread the love. And clear up the misconceptions that a Lamy safari with converter is worth $60 from the local brick and mortar... :headsmack:

Simply put, fountain pens over here are expensive, rare and rather hard to find out in the wild (in working condition). Users are even rarer.

So yep.

How does that work?

Even though there IS actually an Australia (only) Estie Loaner now, I don't see why there can't be two. The current Loaner also happens to be available with either F or M nibs but not a XF.

You still might check on the out of country postage. (Remember the Loaner Program uses the most inexpensive mailing possible.) I have shipped an Estie to Australia before for around $2.70 only about $1 more than in country here in the U.S. It only really starts adding up to/from down under with signed for/deliver confirmation/insurance, etc,.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Well, I'll throw my hat in the ring!

I'm currently borrowing David's blue SJ and I just absolutely love it! It writes fantastically, it looks fantastic, it feels fantastic in my hand... it's just a fantastic pen :cloud9: I'd love to have an Estie of my very own. If I don't get this one, I'll probably end up buying David's as he so kindly offered, but it's nice to save money if you can, right? :lol:

Anyway, I'd be more than happy to lend it out (probably even longer than the 6 months. I don't mind; I have plenty of other pens that need attention, too!) and it would likely become my daily writer.

Thanks for doing this!

Oh goodie, Cliche-a-rama! I'll play! :roflmho:

If I were in this race I'd be really happy with the odds.

However, if I Had a horse in this race with these odds, I think I'd be putting a little make-up on him. ;)

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Sorry for the cliches :headsmack: I'm not too good with words, as you can see :lol:

Alright, let's put a little make-up on this horse, then. One plus to getting the pen would be helping to get my friends into fountain pens. When David's Estie first came in, my brother's reaction was "Whoa, that's a cool-looking pen!" Similar reactions were had among all of my friends. The Estie is just the kind of pen for the job - great-looking, but not that expensive that you'd be hellbent on NOT letting people write with it.

Having an American pen would also add diversity to my budding collection, as I don't currently own an American pen (actually, most of my pens are Japanese). It's a small point, sure, but hey, it's worth something, right? It would also add some color (and my favorite color, at that) to a very black-pen-heavy collection.

Better?:roflmho:

Dear Bruce and Esterbrook associates,

I hope you will consider me for the position. Based on your ad, I believe I have the following qualifications.

1. I already own a few Esties, one of which is on loan in the Esterbrook Forum Estie Loaner Program, in perpetuity.

2. I cannot agree, in good faith, to be an Estie-Loaner-Outer. Isn't that an insidious plot designed to hook people on the life of an Estie user? For shame. See also #1 above.

3. I refuse to handwrite or type an entry for this contest.

In summary, count me out. I don't even like blue pens.

-bh :ninja:

post-16154-0-36752400-1353028792.jpg

PS: Horses? Makeup? You really *do* do things differently in that part of the state. :yikes:

Dear Bruce and Esterbrook associates,

I hope you will consider me for the position. Based on your ad, I believe I have the following qualifications.

1. I already own a few Esties, one of which is on loan in the Esterbrook Forum Estie Loaner Program, in perpetuity.

2. I cannot agree, in good faith, to be an Estie-Loaner-Outer. Isn't that an insidious plot designed to hook people on the life of an Estie user? For shame. See also #1 above.

3. I refuse to handwrite or type an entry for this contest.

In summary, count me out. I don't even like blue pens.

-bh :ninja:

post-16154-0-36752400-1353028792.jpg

PS: Horses? Makeup? You really *do* do things differently in that part of the state. :yikes:

BRAAA-VO! :clap1: :clap1: :clap1:

Very well done Brandon.

Knowing one of your favorite pens is a certain red SJ makes it even more special.

Bruce in Ocala, FL-on the horses thing, maybe I can catch them made up and pic for you

I have no time this week to write and upload anything. :embarrassed_smile:

And technically, I already have an Estie -- in fact an SJ, with a 1555 Gregg nib. But I haven't had a chance to re-sac it yet (it's been a crazy insane couple of weeks). And this blue one is quite lovely (mine is black) -- reminds me of the one that got away last spring.

So I would more than happy to read up on the Loaner program (but next week, when it will be maybe a little less insane for me...) if that's what it would take. But I quite understand if I'm not the winner.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I am prepared to answer the call for service to the loaner program.

I am living up in Canada and would be happy to coordinate sharing here in the great white north. I purchased an Estie from David and they are sweet pens...I sold it to a fellow pen lover for exactly what I paid as he loved it so much when I loaned it to him. In my hand it was scratchy and in his apparently delightfully smooth.... Also I am a leftie so if there is a nib added to the pen I would love to see a left handed writer friendly nib inserted.

Hmmmmm. What else can I say or contribute. I am a reliable fellow and share a passion for pens. Let me know if I am picked and maybe I can afford to purchase the pen and a few nibs so a Canadian loaner program with options could be up and underway.

Mags

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

Okie Dokie, how about a deadline for either entries or lipstick added to the one(s) you've already posted no later than 6 PM Eastern time Tomorrow, Wednesday, Nov. 21.

Bruce in Ocala, FL