Posted Images

Hello-

Need a SECTION for a pen I'm restoring.

My pen looks like the 5th one down...

http://www.esterbrook.net/j3.shtml

Sources...?

Thanks,

Steve

Are the jewels on each end of the pen the same diameter or is the cap jewel larger? That answer will determine the size of its corresponding section. For the J series, sections come in two sizes. The smaller section fits the LJ and SJ. The larger section fits the J. Even though you obtain the "correct" size of section, not all sections will fit a particular barrel. Do not force the section into the barrel.

Is there a source for parts like sections, caps and barrels, or do you have to recycle the parts from other pens?

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I'm not sure how much difference to expect when they are different.

They look equivalent to us here.

Steve

post-85135-0-06067400-1352742084.jpg

Is there a source for parts like sections, caps and barrels, or do you have to recycle the parts from other pens?

Hi-

I need another source.

This is my only Esterbrook.

Thanks,

Steve

Hello-

Need a SECTION for a pen I'm restoring.

My pen looks like the 5th one down...

http://www.esterbrook.net/j3.shtml

Sources...?

Thanks,

Steve

Are the jewels on each end of the pen the same diameter or is the cap jewel larger? That answer will determine the size of its corresponding section. For the J series, sections come in two sizes. The smaller section fits the LJ and SJ. The larger section fits the J.

Even though you obtain the "correct" size of section, not all sections will fit a particular barrel. Do not force the section into the barrel.

Wow. What a tough question to try to ask.

I expect there will be some resistance while sliding the SECTION into the BARREL.

1. How do you describe reasonable resistance (in a post)? [as opposed to "forcing in"]

2. Is there a correct/recommended insertion method: twist in, press in, wiggle in, or ... ?

Judging from removal, there will be no 'wiggle room'.

3. Is there a recommended 'lubricant', or is the answer 'absolutely none'?

Other pertinent thoughts?

Steve

Possibly gentle heat on the barrel from hair dryer. Expand the barrel ever so slightly enabling the section to be eased in. Now, I have never done one of these, but this seems to be the gist of stuff I have read here. Read the pinned thread on resacking.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

In general, the smaller jewel is about 1/16" less in diameter than the larger jewel.

Based on the photo, it looks like your two jewels are the same size. Based on the photo, your pen is either a SJ or LJ. If the pen is 4 3/4" in length with the cap screwed on, it is a SJ pen. If it is 5" in length with the cap screwed on, it is a LJ. Both the SJ and LJ use the same size section. The smaller jewel is used on both the caps and barrels of the SJ and LJ. The same smaller jewel is also used on the barrel of the J.

In general, the smaller jewel is about 1/16" less in diameter than the larger jewel.

Based on the photo, it looks like your two jewels are the same size. Based on the photo, your pen is either a SJ or LJ. If the pen is 4 3/4" in length with the cap screwed on, it is a SJ pen. If it is 5" in length with the cap screwed on, it is a LJ. Both the SJ and LJ use the same size section. The smaller jewel is used on both the caps and barrels of the SJ and LJ. The same smaller jewel is also used on the barrel of the J.

My pen is 4 15/16 in length, with no section installed. So call it 5".

This length would seem to identify it as an LJ, rather than an SJ.

BUT...

I thought the jewels look the same, but 1/16 is not much, and the clip creates a slight illusion.

It would be nice if the length disqualified it as a J.

What is the length of a J?

Here's a different angle: barrel on Left, cap on Right. The cap ® sits a little higher-- see bottom space.

The clip is not holding the cap higher.

Your opinions? Cap jewel is the same? Larger?

Steve

post-85135-0-56305500-1352756811.jpg

Edited by spraine

My pen is 4 15/16 in length, with no section installed. So call it 5".

This length would seem to identify it as an LJ, rather than an SJ.

BUT...

I thought the jewels look the same, but 1/16 is not much, and the clip creates a slight illusion.

It would be nice if the length disqualified it as a J.

What is the length of a J?

Here's a different angle: barrel on Left, cap on Right. The cap ® sits a little higher-- see bottom space.

The clip is not holding the cap higher.

Your opinions? Cap jewel is the same? Larger?

Steve

The "J" model is the same ength as the LJ - 5", but the LJ and SJ are thinner an the J. Since the SJ and the LJ are the same thickness, that is why they use the same size section. After examining both photos, I am guessing that you have a LJ since the capped pen is 5", and the jewels appear to be the same size.

I have never purchased a section by itself. Any extra sections that I accumulated were scavenged from donor pens. You should be able to find some sections through FPN or eBay for about $5 plus shipping.

PM Sent.....

Frank

"Celebrating Eight Years of Retail Writing Excellence"

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"

Federalist Pens and Paper (Online Pen Store)

facelogobooks.png.7b61776c10ce24852b00693f4005dc72.png

Use Forum Code "FPN" at Checkout to Receive an Additional 5% Discount!

Possibly gentle heat on the barrel from hair dryer. Expand the barrel ever so slightly enabling the section to be eased in. Now, I have never done one of these, but this seems to be the gist of stuff I have read here. Read the pinned thread on resacking.

I would never pull OR insert a section without some heat.

Remember the pen material is at least 50 years old. Heating it makes it less brittle while warm, less likely to crack. It's very cheap and easy to use insurance.

I would think Farmboy or Brian would have some sections too. Honestly, the smartest thing to do is send the person Your barrel and have them pick one of their sections that fits best. That's what I'd do.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

What Bruce said.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

• 3 weeks later...

Was a source for esterbrook sections ever found? I am pretty new to fountain pens and brand new to Esties, but I found a couple old J's that I thought I'd try to restore and get in writing condition. One already had a cracked section and I managed to crack the other when trying to take the pen apart. Is there a place I can get a couple sections or do I need to buy other pens for parts?

BTW, after checking to see if the jewels are the same size on barrel and cap, the best way to find out if it's a LJ or SJ is to check the distance between the end of the lever and the top of the barrel. On the LJ the distance is almost as long as the length of the lever, on the SJ it's very much shorter.

No suggestions on where I can find sections? Would my best bet be to just try and get a couple pens off Ebay and use the parts?

I would suggest you read the same thread you posted to.

Bruce in Ocala, FL-I mean, sheesh...

I would suggest you read the same thread you posted to.

Bruce in Ocala, FL-I mean, sheesh...

I read through it and it didn't seem to answer my question. I apologize if I missed the post stating a source where sections for an esterbrook model J could be purchased. It appears to me that most of this thread is discussing how to tell which model of esterbrook one has, some helpful suggestions on how to remove a section (which I should have read beforehand so I wouldn't have stupidly cracked one), and then it seems the original poster received a section from another member here. I do not see an answer to the question of where, if possible, to purchase a couple sections. If you could point out where I am missing this information I would greatly appreciate it.

Post #13 and affirmed by one of the two sources in the Next post after that.

Bruce in Ocala, FL