Posted 12 November 2012 - 16:01

Hello-

Need a SECTION for a pen I'm restoring.

My pen looks like the 5th one down...

http://www.esterbrook.net/j3.shtml

Sources...?

Thanks,
Steve

Are the jewels on each end of the pen the same diameter or is the cap jewel larger? That answer will determine the size of its corresponding section. For the J series, sections come in two sizes. The smaller section fits the LJ and SJ. The larger section fits the J. Even though you obtain the "correct" size of section, not all sections will fit a particular barrel. Do not force the section into the barrel.

#3 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 17:32

Is there a source for parts like sections, caps and barrels, or do you have to recycle the parts from other pens?
"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

#4 spraine

spraine

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 November 2012 - 17:43

I'm not sure how much difference to expect when they are different.

They look equivalent to us here.

Steve

EstyJewelsIMG_5061a.jpg

#5 spraine

spraine

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 November 2012 - 17:44

Is there a source for parts like sections, caps and barrels, or do you have to recycle the parts from other pens?

Hi-
I need another source.
This is my only Esterbrook.
Thanks,
Steve

#6 spraine

spraine

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 November 2012 - 17:58

Hello-

Need a SECTION for a pen I'm restoring.

My pen looks like the 5th one down...

http://www.esterbrook.net/j3.shtml

Sources...?

Thanks,
Steve

Are the jewels on each end of the pen the same diameter or is the cap jewel larger? That answer will determine the size of its corresponding section. For the J series, sections come in two sizes. The smaller section fits the LJ and SJ. The larger section fits the J.

Even though you obtain the "correct" size of section, not all sections will fit a particular barrel. Do not force the section into the barrel.

Wow. What a tough question to try to ask.
I expect there will be some resistance while sliding the SECTION into the BARREL.
1. How do you describe reasonable resistance (in a post)? [as opposed to "forcing in"]
2. Is there a correct/recommended insertion method: twist in, press in, wiggle in, or ... ?
Judging from removal, there will be no 'wiggle room'.
3. Is there a recommended 'lubricant', or is the answer 'absolutely none'?

Other pertinent thoughts?

Steve

#7 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Premium - Ruby

• 6,222 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 19:42

Possibly gentle heat on the barrel from hair dryer. Expand the barrel ever so slightly enabling the section to be eased in. Now, I have never done one of these, but this seems to be the gist of stuff I have read here. Read the pinned thread on resacking.
"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

#8 mccluskeybw

mccluskeybw

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 20:21

In general, the smaller jewel is about 1/16" less in diameter than the larger jewel.

Based on the photo, it looks like your two jewels are the same size. Based on the photo, your pen is either a SJ or LJ. If the pen is 4 3/4" in length with the cap screwed on, it is a SJ pen. If it is 5" in length with the cap screwed on, it is a LJ. Both the SJ and LJ use the same size section. The smaller jewel is used on both the caps and barrels of the SJ and LJ. The same smaller jewel is also used on the barrel of the J.

#9 spraine

spraine

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 November 2012 - 21:47

In general, the smaller jewel is about 1/16" less in diameter than the larger jewel.

Based on the photo, it looks like your two jewels are the same size. Based on the photo, your pen is either a SJ or LJ. If the pen is 4 3/4" in length with the cap screwed on, it is a SJ pen. If it is 5" in length with the cap screwed on, it is a LJ. Both the SJ and LJ use the same size section. The smaller jewel is used on both the caps and barrels of the SJ and LJ. The same smaller jewel is also used on the barrel of the J.

My pen is 4 15/16 in length, with no section installed. So call it 5".
This length would seem to identify it as an LJ, rather than an SJ.
BUT...
I thought the jewels look the same, but 1/16 is not much, and the clip creates a slight illusion.
It would be nice if the length disqualified it as a J.
What is the length of a J?

Here's a different angle: barrel on Left, cap on Right. The cap ® sits a little higher-- see bottom space.
The clip is not holding the cap higher.

Your opinions? Cap jewel is the same? Larger?

Steve

Attached Images

• EstyPenEndsIMG_5080a.jpg

Edited by spraine, 12 November 2012 - 21:48.

#10 spraine

spraine

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 November 2012 - 22:00

BTW-- about how much (US) is a Section going to cost?
Steve

#11 mccluskeybw

mccluskeybw

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 23:24

My pen is 4 15/16 in length, with no section installed. So call it 5".
This length would seem to identify it as an LJ, rather than an SJ.
BUT...
I thought the jewels look the same, but 1/16 is not much, and the clip creates a slight illusion.
It would be nice if the length disqualified it as a J.
What is the length of a J?

Here's a different angle: barrel on Left, cap on Right. The cap ® sits a little higher-- see bottom space.
The clip is not holding the cap higher.

Your opinions? Cap jewel is the same? Larger?

Steve

The "J" model is the same ength as the LJ - 5", but the LJ and SJ are thinner an the J. Since the SJ and the LJ are the same thickness, that is why they use the same size section. After examining both photos, I am guessing that you have a LJ since the capped pen is 5", and the jewels appear to be the same size.

I have never purchased a section by itself. Any extra sections that I accumulated were scavenged from donor pens. You should be able to find some sections through FPN or eBay for about $5 plus shipping.

#12 Frankiex

Frankiex

Person of Interest...........

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 23:36

PM Sent.....

Frank

#13 OcalaFlGuy

OcalaFlGuy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,824 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 November 2012 - 23:53

Possibly gentle heat on the barrel from hair dryer. Expand the barrel ever so slightly enabling the section to be eased in. Now, I have never done one of these, but this seems to be the gist of stuff I have read here. Read the pinned thread on resacking.

I would never pull OR insert a section without some heat.

Remember the pen material is at least 50 years old. Heating it makes it less brittle while warm, less likely to crack. It's very cheap and easy to use insurance.

I would think Farmboy or Brian would have some sections too. Honestly, the smartest thing to do is send the person Your barrel and have them pick one of their sections that fits best. That's what I'd do.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

#14 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• 5,690 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:20

What Bruce said.

#15 Basset Hound

Basset Hound

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:28

Was a source for esterbrook sections ever found? I am pretty new to fountain pens and brand new to Esties, but I found a couple old J's that I thought I'd try to restore and get in writing condition. One already had a cracked section and I managed to crack the other when trying to take the pen apart. Is there a place I can get a couple sections or do I need to buy other pens for parts?

#16 AndreasDavour

AndreasDavour

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 21:19

BTW, after checking to see if the jewels are the same size on barrel and cap, the best way to find out if it's a LJ or SJ is to check the distance between the end of the lever and the top of the barrel. On the LJ the distance is almost as long as the length of the lever, on the SJ it's very much shorter.

#17 Basset Hound

Basset Hound

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 23:06

No suggestions on where I can find sections? Would my best bet be to just try and get a couple pens off Ebay and use the parts?

#18 OcalaFlGuy

OcalaFlGuy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 11,824 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 December 2012 - 23:18

I would suggest you read the same thread you posted to.

Bruce in Ocala, FL-I mean, sheesh...

#19 Basset Hound

Basset Hound

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 23:30

I would suggest you read the same thread you posted to.

Bruce in Ocala, FL-I mean, sheesh...

I read through it and it didn't seem to answer my question. I apologize if I missed the post stating a source where sections for an esterbrook model J could be purchased. It appears to me that most of this thread is discussing how to tell which model of esterbrook one has, some helpful suggestions on how to remove a section (which I should have read beforehand so I wouldn't have stupidly cracked one), and then it seems the original poster received a section from another member here. I do not see an answer to the question of where, if possible, to purchase a couple sections. If you could point out where I am missing this information I would greatly appreciate it.

#20 OcalaFlGuy

OcalaFlGuy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 11,824 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 December 2012 - 23:54

Post #13 and affirmed by one of the two sources in the Next post after that.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

#21 Basset Hound

Basset Hound

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 00:25

Ok thanks. I guess I didn't realize you meant FarmBoy and Brian were sources and not simply friendly forum members who might be able to help the original poster out. Sorry for my ignorance, but I don't know who Farmboy and Brian are. Are they retailers of esterbrook parts? If so how is the best way to go about contacting them?

You seem annoyed with my question, but I assure you I searched for the information before I added to this thread. I guess my lack of knowledge and understanding is bothersome to you, but I'd rather look stupid and new to long time FP and forum users like yourself than not ask a question and be stuck with two nice pens I can't use. I apologize if my query struck you as stupid and for not understanding your previous post.

#22 OcalaFlGuy

OcalaFlGuy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 11,824 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:31

Brian is Brian Anderson, moderator of the Esterbrook forum, and co-owenr of Anderson pens and the Esterbrook.net repository of Estie info. You can contact him via PM here, or through either of those sites.

Farmboy is a little harder to describe. He's not really into Estie stuff commercially per se but probably comes close. An Estie repair wizard and Estie Collector of Collectors, Moderator of the Lamy forum, Armadillo whisperer and a world renowned expert on Pez dispensers. Both he and Brian have stocks of common Estie parts. PM Farmboy here.

Oh, and, :W2FPN:

Bruce in Ocala, FL

#23 koa

koa

φιλοσοφον

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:49

Um, Bruce, you forgot one thing along with all the info a newbie would need.

Just saying.

Esterbrook has been out of business for quite a while. There is no place to buy new replacement parts. They are either scavenged from other pens, or in some cases custom produced. We had quite a discussion of making new jewels for Esties some time ago. There are probably some persons on this list capable of turning out a replacement section as well. The advice about a custom fit to your barrel still applies in that case, however.

(And Bruce, the above is not what I was talking about. :embarrassed_smile: )
"... for even though the multitude may be utterly deceived, subsequently it usually hates those who have led it to do anything improper." Aristotle, Athenian Constitution, XXVIII:3 Loeb Edition

#24 OcalaFlGuy

OcalaFlGuy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 11,824 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2012 - 13:53

Well I certainly learned one lesson I won't forget.

2 short succinct to the point 1 sentence answers will get you 6 paragraphs of being judged and preached to for your answers.

And people wonder why they can't get a question answered around here. :rolleyes:

Bruce in Ocala, FL

#25 Basset Hound

Basset Hound

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 18:51

Thanks for the information Bruce. I will try to contact Brian and FarmBoy like you suggest and hopefully I can get these two pens working.

#26 jdcr

jdcr

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 December 2012 - 16:47

In case the gents who were looking for Estie sections on here haven't found what they need, I have one or two scavenged sections I'd be willing to part with, though I don't know off-hand what models--probably SJ or LJ. PM me after New Year's Day and I'll take a look.

It occurs to me that we ought to have an Esterbrook parts exchange, on which we could post what spare parts we have and what we're looking for, the idea being, if possible, to facilitate swaps between Esty fanciers, not sales--which presumably can already be handled through the Classifieds.

Does such a thing exist already? Would it be appropriate to create it in this forum, or would it belong in the Classifieds, or elsewhere? Any other or better ideas along similar lines?

I imagine somebody on the FPN has experience in setting such things up, and could educate us about how it could be done so that it doesn't violate FPN rules, or duplicate or interfere with what's already available elsewhere on the site. Anybody?

Best wishes,

Jim Crutchfield
Virginian Sojourner in New York City