#1 Hanoi

Hanoi

Đại Gia

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2012 - 15:00

are there any pens on the market with Japanese painted maki-e works available at an affordable price, used or new? Like under 400 EUR/USD/CAD?
Want to buy: Any titanium pen with 18k nib encrusted with blue diamonds blessed by the Dalai Lama at a minimum altitude of 8,500 meters.

#2 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

Pen Snob

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,695 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 16:31

are there any pens on the market with Japanese painted maki-e works available at an affordable price, used or new? Like under 400 EUR/USD/CAD?

See this post I made yesterday.

If you like the art style but don't need true hand done Maki-e, you can find silk screened Maki-e within your price range.
"It is traditional and not to be questioned."

"You gotta get your Pen Posse on!"
-Ethernautrix

#3 PenandDesign

PenandDesign

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 19:46

Maki-e pens are cool, but what I really pine for is a cheap urushi pen. There aren't any sub-$200 tamenuris, are there? :roflmho:
Visit Pen&Design!

@penanddesign

#4 ethernautrix

ethernautrix

Be the Pen Posse you want to see in the world.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,512 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 20:17

Maki-e pens are cool, but what I really pine for is a cheap urushi pen. There aren't any sub-$200 tamenuris, are there? :roflmho:

Please let me know if you find this market. :-)
I ink; therefore, I am
Fleekair <--French accent.

#5 stan

stan

Collectors Item

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 00:04

Let's see. Are you looking for an older or new pen.

If older, one can occasionally find hiramakie, or simpler makie, or even painted models from the 1950s. they could range from under $100 to a bit over $300.

I assume you seek a more modern pen and, if so, one can find a number of fairly inexpensive kagamakie models for under $200. You won't get a gold nib and most of the work may be screened. There will be some handwork and gold will be used in the decoration. They are not Pilot, Sailor, or Platinum quality but, they do exist. There is one on ebay now.
stan

Posted Image
Ryojusen-Pens.com
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

#6 Hanoi

Hanoi

Đại Gia

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:39

hi Stan,

how do you distinguish between maki-e and silk screen based on pictures, provided that both were used by Japanese makers with similar artistic themes? What exactly is "silk screen" as a technique that makes it cheaper than maki-e?
Want to buy: Any titanium pen with 18k nib encrusted with blue diamonds blessed by the Dalai Lama at a minimum altitude of 8,500 meters.

#7 iamchum

iamchum

Oh Long Johnson

• Member - Gold

• 841 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:40

I've been seriously looking into maki-e pens as well, and, for fully hand crafted ones I've accepted the fact that you are looking in the thousands, or at least a thousand.

There is a pinned topic on here about maki-e techniques: http://www.fountainp...ques-of-maki-e/

you can find most of the technical stuff about them there.

In regards to silk-screen it refers to machine based reproduction. So silk-screened maki-e are not hand made, bar some of the accents, and are reproductions of an artists original work.

Although, you have to ask yourself, are you buying it for the fact that it was hand made? or are you buying it for the artwork, because if you like the artwork, it doesn't really matter if it is silk screened or not.

Altec gave some great advice you should read his post.

@altecgreen I think im going to save for either a maki-e wood from sailor, they are GORGEOUS!

My two best writers.

Posted Image..........Posted Image

.........I call this one Günter. ......... I call this one Michael Clarke Duncan.

#8 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

Pen Snob

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,695 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:21

It's actually easier to show why true hand done Maki-e is so expensive.

Here is a report I wrote on the Maki-e demonstration at the 2010 LA Pen Show.

Kosetsu (Mr. Tatsuya Todo) was the artist that did the Danitrio Fellowship pens as well as my Custom Shindo pens.

@iamchum-Since you are in love with Kaga Maki-e check out this video. The pen in the video was part of Sailor's OVI series and cost $197k (comes with a Maki-e box and a Maki-e tray).
"It is traditional and not to be questioned."

"You gotta get your Pen Posse on!"
-Ethernautrix

#9 iamchum

iamchum

Oh Long Johnson

• Member - Gold

• 841 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:01

woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow :blink:

the video almost made me burn dinner in the oven. It's amazing the practice, tradition and skill that goes into creating one of these works of art.
those tiny lines!!!!!! and the gold dust bleeeergh :notworthy1:

Now i understand why they can cost up to a 200,000 a pop >_<

ironic the title of the OP was affordable maki=e pens haha, still amazing though, how these are made

Edited by iamchum, 11 November 2012 - 08:04.

My two best writers.

Posted Image..........Posted Image

.........I call this one Günter. ......... I call this one Michael Clarke Duncan.

#10 Siv

Siv

Inky fingers

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,740 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 November 2012 - 13:12

Affordable Urushi Maki-E Pens can be found on the same shelf as the affordable diamonds and Ferrari.

However, keep your eyes peeled on the classified section of the forum and you may get lucky...
Posted Image
Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77

#11 JLS1

JLS1

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,370 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 November 2012 - 18:24

Affordable Urushi Maki-E Pens can be found on the same shelf as the affordable diamonds and Ferrari.

However, keep your eyes peeled on the classified section of the forum and you may get lucky...

That's good advice. You could also post a WTB (Wanted to Buy) in the Classifieds with your desired pen's characteristics and see if anyone contacts you.

#12 mongrelnomad

mongrelnomad

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,440 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 18:36

I tried my hand once at maki-e a few years ago whilst in Japan. It gave me a new appreciation for the artists: it is painstaking, laborious, delicate and excruciatingly precise work.
Too many pens; too little writing.

#13 Hanoi

Hanoi

Đại Gia

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:50

So at question is whether the price is for a pen or a piece of art? I am a pen user, and when I graduate to pen collector, I think I may consider a 2000 USD low end maki-e model. :wub:

#14 mineiro

mineiro

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 November 2012 - 13:09

So at question is whether the price is for a pen or a piece of art? I am a pen user, and when I graduate to pen collector, I think I may consider a 2000 USD low end maki-e model. :wub:

That is exactly what I did. I convinced myself that I am old enough to invest in art now and bought my first Danitrio Maki-e, the Mae West with Kois. :notworthy1:
Last year I already got the nice Danitrio and Namiki maki-e books :puddle: , but instead of being a cheap surrogate for a real pen, it only convinced me completely that I had to have one myself (why only one?).

Last week, I was also able to visit a shop in Paris where I could try out several Nakayas. For me this is a completely different league than the Urushi Herald I got from Edison last year. I am in love with Maki-e and Urushi pens now. I also bought a beautiful Japanese pen wrap that I will have to fill now. Don't dare to tell my wife. :embarrassed_smile: