Pilot Metropolitan

doggonecarl

Just inked up my new Metropolitan. All I can say is wow. The bar has been raised in the entry-level pen field. It’s a hefty pen (26 g) in black matte brass and chrome trim. The nib (I got medium) is smooth with just a hint of flex if I apply pressure. Cap snaps tightly, but posting isn’t as secure as I’d like.

Fifteen dollars at Goulet Pens (no affiliation). And it came with a converter. I’m just amazed at the quality and how well it writes. The Metropolitan would be a great “first” pen, or in my case, a great pen to add to the stable.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JemC

• rockydoggy

• fiberdrunk

• doggonecarl

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the first impressions.

This is an interesting move on Pilot's part--I expect this pen at this price will do well.

Just inked up my new Metropolitan. All I can say is wow. The bar has been raised in the entry-level pen field. It’s a hefty pen (26 g) in black matte brass and chrome trim. The nib (I got medium) is smooth with just a hint of flex if I apply pressure. Cap snaps tightly, but posting isn’t as secure as I’d like.....[clipped]

Did you have a choice in nib size? I have not seen them with a choice yet (or perhaps I have not been observant)....

Just inked up my new Metropolitan. All I can say is wow. The bar has been raised in the entry-level pen field. It's a hefty pen (26 g) in black matte brass and chrome trim. The nib (I got medium) is smooth with just a hint of flex if I apply pressure. Cap snaps tightly, but posting isn't as secure as I'd like.....[clipped]

Did you have a choice in nib size? I have not seen them with a choice yet (or perhaps I have not been observant)....

Medium in the US Only, in Japan for much more, you have a choice of Medium or Fine as the Pilot Cocoon.

From The Sunny Island of Singapore

Straits Pen Distributors and Dealers of Craft Rinkul, JB Perfect Pen Flush, Ohto Japan, Parker, Pelikan, Pilot Pen, Private Reserve Inks, Schrade Tactical Pens, Smith & Wesson Pens, Noodler's Ink LLC Pens, TWSBI Inc and Waterman in Singapore

Disclosure: I do nib work for others and am affiliated with those which do. I also sell and represent certain brands of pens.

So far at GPC they're only offering Medium, and I don't think that's going to change. Luckily there are plenty of sources for alternate nibs (Penmanship, Prera, 78g, Plumix, Knight), and it's so easy to swap them out!

It appears to be the same nib as the prera, plumix, and 78g. If you want a stub, buy a Plumix for ~$8.00 and swap the nib! (Cheaper than even lamy steel nibs!)

Can this pen be used as an eyedropper pen?

Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik

Can this pen be used as an eyedropper pen?

The barrel is airtight. So I'd say yes. But you won't be able to see how much ink is in the pen.

No, it definitely Is metal on the inside. Not recommended for an eyedropper. But the Prera's always great for that:

Thanks for the info! The Prera looks like a nice pen, too.

Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik

I have a Prera and just got a Metropolitan. I always thought the Prera was overpriced--now it's really overpriced! This Metro is simply an incredible value. I don't know how Pilot does it for $15, but every other manufacturer should be scrambling to catch up.

And the Prera should be reduced significantly in price. It has the same type of nib and feed, and the body is merely plastic. Don't get me wrong, I love my Prera, but how can it possibly cost so much more than the Metro? It can't be more expensive or complicated to manufacture.

I agree with crunchmaster. My Metropolitan arrived today and I was shocked when I opened the package at what a great value this appears to be. About the same price as the Nemosine Singularity (which I like), the Metropolitan strikes me as a better built pen. I'm taking it on a plane trip with me tomorrow and I'm waiting til I get to my destination before inking it up. But if it writes anywhere near as nice as it looks and feels, this immediately becomes one of the best bargains out there.

I have really small hands and am wondering - is this a heavy pen, being as it's metal? It looks to be an average size.

I have really small hands and am wondering - is this a heavy pen, being as it's metal? It looks to be an average size.

Not heavy, but it has a nice solid weight, just under an ounce. Average size, like you said, just a tad longer than the FP 78G. Not as heavy as the Vanishing Point.

I'm not sure what Pilot is thinking with the Metro's retail price. I can only assume they're using it as a loss leader, hoping to get people interested in their higher end products.

That said, I think the Prera is still a good value. Ok, maybe it could be 15-20% cheaper. But it's definitely constructed out of higher grade plastic than something like the 78G. It's a very well-built pen in my experience. And the demonstrator Preras definitely offer something the Metro can't (for those of us that like demonstrators).

Oh, another thing that helps bring down the Metro's cost is the fact that it uses the same section as the 78G. So they already had that manufacturing infrastructure set up.

I have a Prera and just got a Metropolitan. I always thought the Prera was overpriced--now it's really overpriced! This Metro is simply an incredible value. I don't know how Pilot does it for $15, but every other manufacturer should be scrambling to catch up.

And the Prera should be reduced significantly in price. It has the same type of nib and feed, and the body is merely plastic. Don't get me wrong, I love my Prera, but how can it possibly cost so much more than the Metro? It can't be more expensive or complicated to manufacture.

I agree - Prera is nothing special and terribly overpriced.

“Be nice to people on your way up because you meet them on your way down.” Jimmy Durante quotes (American Comedian, Pianist and Singer, 1893-1980)

What happened to the coupon from Pilot for the Metropolitan that was supposed to be coming out?

http://fpgeeks.com/2012/08/the-pilot-metropolitan-collection-may-be-perfect-for-the-new-fountain-pen-user/

I gave up waiting and bought mine from the Goulets.

Haven't inked it yet, but it looks like a very nice pen for $15. I have high hopes since it is a Pilot and my (albeit spendier) other Pilots are lovely.

The coupon is only valid at pilotpen.us, and they still don't even have the Metropolitan up as a valid product carried.

So this is just another example of Pilot being a terrible advocate for themselves, especially in the US.