• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WriteAway

• kevinm1

• lovemy51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just picked up a black Click at Staples Saturday, and am looking forward to trying it out. Staples is offering the pen, two refills and a fabric carry pouch in a set. Mine was only $19.88 + 8% tax, so it was cheaper to buy it locally than online. A classic Cross Century shape, and the button does not look totally out of place, IMO. I'm waiting for the nasty weather to clear before I test it, though.

My impressions of the new Cross Click:

My black Click came packaged in a silver cardboard gift box, with a fabric pouch and two additional refills included. A nice presentation, about what I would expect from a $20 Cross pen at the local Staples.

Out of the box, it is visually a copy of the Century 1 ballpoint, except that the usual Cross twist advance mechanism has been replaced by a pushbutton that feels very insubstantial for any pen, much less a Cross. When retracting the tip, it hung up about 3 times in the first hour of use if I did not press firmly enough. This element needs more refinement, IMO.

The body of my Click is matte black, with an even, blemish free surface. There is a silver band around the advance button, and the word “Cross” on the clip is highlighted in silver as well. Other colors available are Teal, Matte Chrome and White, all with black clips as styling highlights.

This is a thin pen, and even though I have used Cross Century pens for years, I can see how it will not work well in the hand for those preferring larger diameter writing tools. In my case, for shorter sessions, I had no problems with the pen being too small, or the finish too slippery. The official dimensions from Cross.com: Width: 0.32 inches / 8.1 mm; Length: 5.3 inches / 135 mm; Weight: 0.53 oz / 15 grams.

Cross calls this a gel ink pen. The initial cartridge in the pen is a medium black, (I have not found any marks indicating tip size on the refills.). Writing quality is smooth, and the refill writes a consistent, solid black line, with no blobs or skips seen early in its use. The ink dries on the paper in about 3-5 seconds. It was too early to determine if the refill dries out overnight. My opinion is that the black Cross refill writes very well, in the same league as any of the others I use, including Uniball, Pilot, and Pentel.

Overall, the Cross Click is a good pen, worth the $20 price I paid. Long term, I wonder how well the activator button will hold up.

post-2411-0-78051200-1351900127.jpg

post-2411-0-89218800-1351900145.jpg

Edited by WriteAway

• 2 weeks later...

hello.

i bought one about a week ago along with the Bailey, but haven't tried it yet -don't know if i wanna keep it. if it's as smooth as you say, WriteAway, it might see some use -maybe on shorter writing sessions.

WriteAway, i would post this mini review of yours on the "reviews sub-forum". short and to the point, regardless of being a BP -or capless RB or what have you- review, it's very helpful.

hello.

i bought one about a week ago along with the Bailey, but haven't tried it yet -don't know if i wanna keep it. if it's as smooth as you say, WriteAway, it might see some use -maybe on shorter writing sessions.

WriteAway, i would post this mini review of yours on the "reviews sub-forum". short and to the point, regardless of being a BP -or capless RB or what have you- review, it's very helpful.

Thanks for the idea, LoveMy51! I posted it in the reviews today. I hope it may steer some others to the Click, even if I'm still getting used to the sloppy click mechanism. Otherwise, it writes like a Cross - all to the good!

Someday I may get a 51 myself, I've had plenty of opportunities to do so, but I'm not on the 51 path just yet.