Twsbi Precision 0,7 Mm Pencil

NedC

Curiosity, and my mechanical pencil addiction, got the better of me the other day when I ordered my long awaited TWSBI mini I also ordered a TWSBI Precision 0.7mm sliding sleeve, mechanical pencil. I'm glad I did. It is a nice little pencil.

post-80437-0-47062800-1351362961.jpg

From top to bottom: TWSBI Precision 0.7mm sliding sleeve, Koh-I-Noor 5640 0.5mm (same as rotting 600, indeed it came in a set with a rotting 600 ballpoint;), Pentel Graph Gear 1000 0.7mm retractable drafting pencil, Ballograf Opus 2 0.7mm mechanical pencil with cushioned retractable point, a venerable Pentel PS535 sharp 0.5mm with a sliding sleeve, and a Caran d'Ache 844 0.7mm mechanical pencil.

A few words about the selection of the pencils in this comparison:

•  
  • I happened to own them.
  • I think they represent a good value.
  • I enjoy using them.
  • All with the exception of the Pentel PS535 have, or have had, an available matching ballpoint. I like sets;)
  • With the exception of the Koh-I-Noor and the Graph Gear they are primarily writing pencils rather than drafting pencils.
  • I forgot about the Lamy 2000:(

You know you want exploded views;)

post-80437-0-02692700-1351363939.jpg

From left to right the same order as above, the TWSBI Precision shown here with the include accessories, a full container of 12 HB 0.7mm leads and a tube of 3 l o n g replacement erasers.

And here are the relevant facts and figure in a convenient table:

I really like the TWSBI precision, it is a substantial, even heavier than the Koh-I-Noor 5640/totring 600, very nicely finished, all metal general use mechanical pencil with a truly classic look and some nice improvements over some of the pencils that seem to have been its inspiration. The body is weighty but extremely well balances in the hand and is made of solid brass with what seems to be a vey high quality semi-matte powder coat finish, very much like the Caran d'Ache pencil with an excellent fell in the hand. The attention to detail is superb, from the subtle lettering identifying the pen to the chrome trim ring at the top and the chromed nose piece, all the parts go together with the kind of precision one would associate with a top quality German or Japanese drafting pencil. The clip is very reminiscent of the Caran d'Ache a simple, well finished, low profile removable clip the is firmly secured in place by a small detent on the barrel, the breakdown reveals an all metal inner barrel and a high quality brass clutch mechanism which are responsible for the very solid and precise lead advance with a solid sounding but not too loud click. The knurled grip recalls the classic Rotring 600/Koh-I-Noor (USA) 5640 but it's not a separate pice but rather a part of the barrel, and its knurling, though at least as deep as the Rotring, is much softer on the fingers, the Rotring's industrial strength knurling offers a solid grip but can feel harsh, tiring, even sharp to one's fingertips–almost like gripping a metal file, the Rotring's knurling also acts as a lint magnet and for a pen carried in pocket that has proven annoying. The TWSBI's knurling is more like a series of rounded hard pillows which still afford a decent grip but are much softer feeling and don't seem to lint magnets.

The TWSBI is available in two colours, black and silver, in both 0.5mm and 0.7mm leas sizes and in a choice of fixed sleeve (for drafting and template work) and a sliding sleeve model which is better suited for writing and daily pocket carry, it works fine with straight edges and templates too as it very secure and long enough.

Overall it's a very nice pencil and I would strongly recommend it to any mechanical pencil lover, classic design, attention to detail, choice of point sizes, finishes and point types as well as the availability of a matching ballpoint and a long, good quality eraser along with 3 spares and a full package of good quality, though unbranded, leads and the secure high quality packaging are real plusses.

It's probably not the best writing pencil in this comparison, that would be the Ballograf Opus 2 with its cushioned point and similarly robust construction, it's not the cheapest either, it cost several times what the Pentel PS535 does and is more expensive than any of the others save the Rotring, It's also not as good for technical drawing and template as the GraphGear or the Koh-I-Noor, lacking the fixed sleeve an lead hardness ID ring but it is a very good value and an exceptional all-rounder.

Pointed matters:

post-80437-0-17699600-1351372240.jpg

post-80437-0-87471900-1351372278.jpg

Above photos left to right: Caran d'Ache 844, Pentel PS535, Ballograf Opus 2, Pentel GraphGear 1000, Koh-I-Noor 5640/Rotring 600, TWSBI Precision. The first photo shows the pencils with the sleeves extended fully and one click's worth of lead advance, the second photo shows the points and leads retracted.

post-80437-0-97447900-1351368958.jpg

Edited by NedC

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jisip

• NedC

• pokermon

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images