Jinhao 159

JGSalty

Just received a Jinhao 159. Cost ~$8 (with shipping). This pen is big. I mean really big (too heavy when posted) but it is a very smooth writer. I bought it based on some reviews here. The most striking issue with the pen is the quality. Surperb. No double stamping. Clean, smooth lines. Impressive for ~$8

Just thought I'd share my initial thoughts.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saintpaulia

• JGSalty

• pokermon

• penstuff

I have a Jinhao 750 for a few weeks now, and I was wondering how tight is the cap? Because on the 750 the cap is pretty tight and I wish it was just a bit looser. Takes more effort than I would like to uncap it if that helps the description.

Pen blog of current inventory

Enjoy life, and keep on writing!

-Tommy

Just received a Jinhao 159. Cost ~$8 (with shipping). This pen is big. I mean really big (too heavy when posted) but it is a very smooth writer. I bought it based on some reviews here. The most striking issue with the pen is the quality. Surperb. No double stamping. Clean, smooth lines. Impressive for ~$8

I have a 159 and I am totally delighted with it! The purchase price is way out of line for what you receive...a smooth writer with a nice wet line and it feels good in my hand posted or unposted My 10 year old grandson loves it and so I put Diamine Syrah ink in it since he loves that ink. A truly satisfying pen.

Cheers

Leo

Leo James Mitchell

I have a Jinhao 750 for a few weeks now, and I was wondering how tight is the cap? Because on the 750 the cap is pretty tight and I wish it was just a bit looser. Takes more effort than I would like to uncap it if that helps the description.

The cap is tight but not too tight.

Edited by JGSalty

I am getting more and more impressed with the Chi-Pens. I have a Jinhao 165 and it is heavy too, of course, since it is metal like all the ones I've seen. The Chinese have this thing about metal pens. I call them thermonuclear bomb proof. My 165 is very smooth too. Great nibs. And another thing: the Chinese really seem to have a sense of design. While Western pens seem to strain at thinking up new looks (and failing) the Chinese seem to do this effortlessly. Admittedly, some are over the top. But many are quite stylish.

I got a 159 based on reviews here and by SBRE Brown over on YouTube. It cost $10 delivered. I subsequently bought a MB 149 (on which the 159 is styled) for more than 60x the purchase price of the Jinhao. The 159 is no MB by a large, large measure. However, the MB is not >60x better, regardless of the precious resin. MB and other luxury brands that insistently raise their already high prices need to learn that in the price/performance ratio, Chinese pens are making leaps and bounds.

Yes, it is ! Ain't it great ?

I am going to order another one.

:thumbup:

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Mine's as smooth as silk....so it's only as tight as you want to tighten it...if you know what I mean... :unsure:

Unless you have muscles like Stallone....or Arnie of course :roflmho:

For the price, I don't think you will be disappointed, as long as you like big pens :thumbup:

I got a 159 based on reviews here and by SBRE Brown over on YouTube. It cost $10 delivered. I subsequently bought a MB 149 (on which the 159 is styled) for more than 60x the purchase price of the Jinhao. The 159 is no MB by a large, large measure. However, the MB is not >60x better, regardless of the precious resin. MB and other luxury brands that insistently raise their already high prices need to learn that in the price/performance ratio, Chinese pens are making leaps and bounds.

Hear him, hear him!

I am getting more and more impressed with the Chi-Pens. I have a Jinhao 165 and it is heavy too, of course, since it is metal like all the ones I've seen. The Chinese have this thing about metal pens. I call them thermonuclear bomb proof. My 165 is very smooth too. Great nibs. And another thing: the Chinese really seem to have a sense of design. While Western pens seem to strain at thinking up new looks (and failing) the Chinese seem to do this effortlessly. Admittedly, some are over the top. But many are quite stylish.

Then there was the Hero pen I got recently. It might have survived an A-Bomb, but an ordinary piece of shipping tape was enough to pull a good chunk of the finish off. I also recall a Chinese pen Stephen Brown mentioned in one of his videos; it fell apart as soon as he tried to use it.

Kaigelus and the Jinhao 159, among some others, have been really good and consistent writers for me. However, the fit and finish is perhaps not always as good as one would like.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

~ George Orwell

Then there was the Hero pen I got recently. It might have survived an A-Bomb, but an ordinary piece of shipping tape was enough to pull a good chunk of the finish off. I also recall a Chinese pen Stephen Brown mentioned in one of his videos; it fell apart as soon as he tried to use it.

Kaigelus and the Jinhao 159, among some others, have been really good and consistent writers for me. However, the fit and finish is perhaps not always as good as one would like.

A lot of Chinese brands are hit and miss on their QC. For example, my Jinhao X450 has the blue finish, and it is wearing off, as it the plating on the clip and bands. The 159 is holding up very nicely, however.

I really tend to think the 159 is meant for western markets, therefore details like this are being taken into account, or Chinese black paint is stronger than Chinese Blue.... :roflmho:

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

Yeah, well when I said bomb-proof I wasn't thinking of the finish. ;)

And, I agree with the issues that do come up with the finish. My Kaigelu 357 has a gold-colored grip section that was finished in a matte-like way, or maybe like brushed. The top layer is coming off of that showing another layer underneath with a similar color but slightly different texture. Enough to make it discernable that wear is happening. And this is not the result of anything I've done at all. I have hardly used the pen enough to cause any wear.

I wonder...

If the Jinhao 3000 ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JINHAO-3000-STAINLESS-STEEL-NET-TIGER-EMBOSSED-FOUNTAIN-PEN-J70-/170850896534?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c781ca96 ) is a 159 with an overlay?

If so, I may end up getting one as I like overlays, was amazed at the 159 and want to try a chrome plated overlay because I'm afeared of wearing the gold-ish plating off my Jinhao 5000.

Regards,

Richard.

I wonder...

If the Jinhao 3000 ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JINHAO-3000-STAINLESS-STEEL-NET-TIGER-EMBOSSED-FOUNTAIN-PEN-J70-/170850896534?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c781ca96 ) is a 159 with an overlay?

If so, I may end up getting one as I like overlays, was amazed at the 159 and want to try a chrome plated overlay because I'm afeared of wearing the gold-ish plating off my Jinhao 5000.

Regards,

Richard.

That looks more like a 450/750 to me than the 159. The 159 has a screw on cap, and the section to nib ratio is a little higher.