Jinhao 159 Converter Problem

NewPenMan

Just finished gently flushing a Jinhao 159, then tried to load it with Blue Quink (brand-new bottle).

As with my phileas, the Jinhao has the type where you rotate a shaft and the plunger goes up or down, to draw up or expel ink.

Stick the tip into the ink and rotate shaft and up goes ink

Not so much with the Jinhao! Nothin. submerging more and more of the tip. nothin.

FInally, I submerged the nib end, far as it would go til I hit bottom and the shaft above the feed system was partly submerged and THEN drew up some ink but only about halfway.

Pen writes nicely.

Problem with the feed system? seems it shouldn't have to submerge half the pen just to draw up ink. It's on their nice and snug. do I need to request a replacement converter? (isellpens.com = vendor)

please advise, thank you!

penman

Edited by NewPenMan

Franklin-Christoph Stabilis 66 and Pocket 40: both with Matsuyama CI | Karas Kustoms Aluminum, Daniel Smith CI | Italix Parson's Essential and Freshman's Notator | Pilot Prera | Pilot Metropolitan | Lamy Safari, 1.1mm italic | Muji "Round Aluminum Pen" | Waterman Phileas | Noodler's Konrad | Nemosine Singularity 0.6mm stub | ASA Nauka, acrylic and ebonite | Gama Hawk | Wality Airmail | Noodlers Ahab | TWSBI GO | Noodlers Charlie | Pilot Plumix |

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NewPenMan

• Sasha Royale

• Helen350

• Kublai Khan

Sounds like you'll need to fill the convertor with a syringe, just like cartridges. :thumbup:

Edited by MKeith

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" Patrick Henry

Just finished gently flushing a Jinhao 159, then tried to load it with Blue Quink (brand-new bottle).

As with my phileas, the Jinhao has the type where you rotate a shaft and the plunger goes up or down, to draw up or expel ink.

Not so much with the Jinhao! Nothin. submerging more and more of the tip. nothin.

FInally, I submerged the nib end, far as it would go til I hit bottom and the shaft above the feed system was partly submerged and THEN drew up some ink but only about halfway.

Pen writes nicely.

Problem with the feed system? seems it shouldn't have to submerge half the pen just to draw up ink. It's on their nice and snug. do I need to request a replacement converter? (isellpens.com = vendor)

penman

Not trying to be smart, but how full was your ink bottle? The 159 has that big section and nib. Sometimes I have to maneuver mine to submerge enough to fill properly. I usually keep the nib fully submerged and fill a second time. This usually gets me up to 3/4 of the converter or more.

Hope you get it worked out, as the 159 is a great pen!

jb500

"A witty saying proves nothing."--Voltaire

Pen writes nicely.

penman

Some pens have to be submerged all the way up the nib, I have a few pens where I have to stick them in up over the nib to get a good fill. So it could just be that the Jinhao is one of those types. Or it could maybe be a defective converter. You might try using it with another converter (it looks like it takes a standard converter) to see if that helps your problem.

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.

I have one of these pens. I took the covertor off the pen in order to get a full tank, and wound pushing about half of it into the feed in order to get the pen in motion. I'm going to try a regular universal convertor to see if it works better than this wimpy one.

Much Love--Virginia

thank you!

how does one identify and obtain a universal convertor?

Todd at isellpens also suggested taking the converter out and filling IT, sans nib/feed system, then re-attaching when done..will try this when the pen's dry.

and yes, it is a very nice pen!

penman

Franklin-Christoph Stabilis 66 and Pocket 40: both with Matsuyama CI | Karas Kustoms Aluminum, Daniel Smith CI | Italix Parson's Essential and Freshman's Notator | Pilot Prera | Pilot Metropolitan | Lamy Safari, 1.1mm italic | Muji "Round Aluminum Pen" | Waterman Phileas | Noodler's Konrad | Nemosine Singularity 0.6mm stub | ASA Nauka, acrylic and ebonite | Gama Hawk | Wality Airmail | Noodlers Ahab | TWSBI GO | Noodlers Charlie | Pilot Plumix |

I think I know your problem.

The Jinhao has a huge nib and the whole nib must be submerged so that the section is in the ink. Then, as the convertor hasn't got a huge volume relative to the feed capacity, you're drawing the air in the feed into the convertor which fills it half full before the ink gets to the convertor.

One thing you can try is to fill the pen, clean the nib & section, put it nib up and try to empty the convertor of air. This will be a bit messy! Once done, submerge the nib again and fill the convertor again. This time it will go full. HOWEVER, the feed will be full too, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to pump a drop or two out and get a small bubble of air in the convertor before you start writing, else the pen may blob a bit.

Regards,

Richard.

Yep, agree with all of the above....

The converter is not the best either (well mine isn't)....

Make sure the converter is 'pushed home' as much as possible, and ensure the pen is submerged in the ink some way up the section (to be sure) This will usually 3/4 fill the converter....which with that lovely wet nib....

Lasts about.....oohh....an hour and a half :thumbup:

Why don't you fill the converter directly from the ink bottle? That way you will be able to identify if the converter is misbehaving or if the nib size of the pen is responsible for not been able to get previously a full converter.

Nick Apostolakis

Msc in IT, University of Glasgow

GPG ID: 0xBDF1848D

e-mail: nickapos@oncrete.gr

Web Site: http://nick.oncrete.gr

Are we surprised that a converter included with a $1.00 pen isn't the best? :) Instead of the 159 converter, I used my Phileas converter and it worked very well (it fits tightly). Since you referenced the Phileas, you might want to give it a try.

My 159 arrived yesterday. I have the same problem.

The converter is in two parts, joined at the double brass collar.

Mine was loose, and, I assume, allowing air leakage. With a filled

converter, ink would drip-drip-drip from the nib. After tightening

the two halves, and insuring that the converter is well-seated, I was

able to fill from a PR American Blue bottle. I expelled two drops

of ink, and drew in air. Still, it is a very wet writer. Too early

to say more. If the problem continues, I will try a cartridge.

I might have to replace the converter. Is it a standard Jinhao

converter ?

$5.85 + $3 shippping. I don't expect a LAMY 2000.

WORSE CASE: I will have a really neat travel pill bottle.

Having fun !

Edited by Sasha Royale

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Are we surprised that a converter included with a $1.00 pen isn't the best? :) Instead of the 159 converter, I used my Phileas converter and it worked very well (it fits tightly). Since you referenced the Phileas, you might want to give it a try.

I have a spare Kultur converter. Is it the same as the Phileas converter ?

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Odds are pretty good as I believe the Kultur is essentially a stripped down, basic Phileas. Let us know if you try it out!

all of these various tales and suggestions are pure GOLD and I thank you for them.

despite it sometimes being a buck (I paid 12) I find that this is a dang good pen with lots going for it. I think it puts down a nice line, and has a very classy look and solid, luxurious heft to it. I am proud to have this pen.

I will likely get a blunt-needle syringe for this purpose and maybe try to get a couple of converters...

would hate to cripple my phileas, tho...hmmm...

this may be one reason for having fountain pens: the need to deal with variables, tinker, invent and solve issues...

penman

My 159 arrived yesterday. I have the same problem...Still, it is a very wet writer.

I think that I am discovering with the Jinhao, what "wet writer" means, altho my partic pen may merely be a "moist" writer. in regular position, it puts down a generous line. upside down, a nice, no-wetter-than-usual finer line.

there's something I'm feeling as the nib glides over the paper..a sort of solid, "connected" feel with the paper.

might this pen have been intended for chinese users, writers of characters and not so much for writers of western script?

could this be why the 159 is a wet writer?

pman

It is very easy to get a pack of converters from ebay. They are cheap and handy in cases when a pen does not include a converted (I have some of those) or when one of your current converters starts leaking.

Nick Apostolakis

Msc in IT, University of Glasgow

GPG ID: 0xBDF1848D

e-mail: nickapos@oncrete.gr

Web Site: http://nick.oncrete.gr

thank you!

how does one identify and obtain a universal convertor?

Todd at isellpens also suggested taking the converter out and filling IT, sans nib/feed system, then re-attaching when done..will try this when the pen's dry.

and yes, it is a very nice pen!

penman

This method worked for me on another Jinhao pen (bronze double dragon playing with pearl)

I just purchased a Waterman converter for my new Kultur pen, so I would think it would be the same as the Phileas.

The Waterman and other generic 'international' type converters fit (at least they do in mine). I've run into some that are different lengths, so you might have to try one or two before you get one that works.

My 159 has to be immersed in the ink clear up to the section before I get a decent fill, so when the ink bottle gets low you will likely need the syringe to fill the converter, or an old empty ink cart.

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png