Best Piston Filling Pen

BrandNew

Hello guys~

So I recently picked a TWSBI Diamond 540, and I'm loving the piston filler. However, it is a fairly cheap pen: 50-55$. I would like to buy a somewhat more expensive, more sophisticated looking pen, that is also a piston filler for around 100-175$. Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Brand New

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• hari317

• Freddy

• Seele

Pelikan makes some nice piston filler pens. I have an m200 (much much smaller than the 540) and it's a fantastic pen.

The Lamy 2000 is another option for a piston filler and has a gold nib. I'd suggest this option as it is also cheaper. iSellPens.com has them for $125.

There's always the Bexley Corona, which is a great pen with a large capacity. Look at richardspens.com or isellpens.com.

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" Patrick Henry

How many pens do you have?

What nib widths and what flexes are they?

It all depends on what you want for a nib.

If you have a mix of nails and regular flex in B, M, F & EF then it is time to think about going to a 'soft'-springy ++ nib---a semi-flex nib. It is not a 'flexi' nib :bonk: :gaah: . Semi=almost. ;)

You would then know what it offers. To jump from one or two pens to semi-flex would not be perhaps the right thing to do, in you would perhaps not feel and see the difference.

It is not a nib to press into splits to make fancy 'flex' writing. Because the tines spread easier than a regular flex, certain letters will be a tad wider than regular flex, with natural pressure. You get a bit of natural flare to your writing.

I have some 25 of them, so I like them.

A Pelikan 200 is a standard sized pen. Your Twsbi is a Large pen.

The Pelikan 200's steel nib is a good one.

Reputed to be a bit narrower than other Pelikan nibs and with still a tad of spring to the nib.

I don't have one...have 14 K 400, 605 in regular flex.

I have a '90-early 2000 Celebry...cartridge pen, with a very nice steel nib...springy almost semi-flex.

Could be you'd want a older vintage 200 pre'97, that might have this level of steel nib.

Then you need a Semi-flex, Pelikan 140 :thumbup: , Geha 790 or 725...a most sleek and classy pen. Can be written by the ham fisted.

Later in a year or two, a Maxi-semi-flex/'flexi' Pelikan 400NN. :thumbup: By then you should have developed a lighter hand.

I forgot Aurora...I of course want a vintage one. :rolleyes:

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Pilot Custom 92. 135USD plus shipping. Wonderful mechanism, 14k Gold nib, Legendary Pilot nib performance and reliability.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Pilot Custom 92. 135USD plus shipping. Wonderful mechanism, 14k Gold nib, Legendary Pilot nib performance and reliability.

I've only found the Pilot Custom Heritage 92... which is $220 USD at Goulet's. So I'm doubtful I'd find that anywhere near $135.

Is there such a thing as a standard Custom 92? If so, where can one be acquired?

Pelikan 200 or Lamy 2000 would be my suggestions.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I've only found the Pilot Custom Heritage 92... which is $220 USD at Goulet's. So I'm doubtful I'd find that anywhere near $135.

Is there such a thing as a standard Custom 92? If so, where can one be acquired?

There's a listing on ebay here for $135. It's actually often cheaper to purchase Japanese (and most other Asian) pens from ebay because there's a hefty mark-up that Western stores apply (look no further than the cost of Iroshizuku ink in Japan vs. Europe/US/Oceania). A quick perusal of the forum indicates that the seller of the pen, pisuke2005 is trustworthy.

Edit: Well I shouldn't say that the Western stores apply it, I believe the local Pilot distributor increases the price.

Edited by dali3464
http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Is there any criteria other than price and "sophistication"? If not, I believe the brand you are looking for is Montblanc, which is actually also a very good pen.

Edited by 82Greg

Is there any criteria other than price and "sophistication"? If not, I believe the brand you are looking for is Montblanc, which is actually also a very good pen.

Where in the world can you get a Montblanc for under $300-400? I've seen them used for as low as $350 or so. For a 149. But that's used. I realize some people have no qualms with used pens, but I come from a world where people don't take care of their stuff, and I'd rather not inherit other people's problems. Therefore, I always buy new. Only exception was the Esterbrook I bought on ebay for $10. But I've never even used it.

If I can get a Montblanc for under $200, I'd be willing to give it a try, but something tells me anyone that paid $1000+ for a pen is going to want as much as they can back on that and only people who have no clue what they have will offer prices as low as you're suggesting.

There are several available at 135USD from this Japanese source: link

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Aside from Pisuke2005, there is also kendokarate who carries the C92 even lower.

"Have fountain pen, will travel."

BrandNew,

Allow me to speak as a veteran piston-filler user for more than three decades.

Think about a piston-filler pen as a huge screw-type converter with a section fitted to the front, and that's about it. You know that converters do tend to wear out and should be treated as semi-disposable, but with a piston-filler pen you are pretty much committed to this mechanism. In that sense, I would have one that is designed to be dismantled, serviced, and reassembled easily, with replacement parts easily available, and that's exactly the TWSBI design aim.

Sure enough, the perhaps a dozen piston-fillers I went through over the years could well have been serviced, to get the innards cleaned and mechanism greased, but they were not designed to allow for that easily. Currently I am cleaning out one with a bit of red ink stuck behind the piston but it's a bear to take apart, so I am trying to see how I can avoid doing so. With a TWSBI, that would not be a problem at all.

Obviously there are plenty of ostensibly "higher quality" piston-fillers, such as Pelikan and Montblanc etc, in fact one of my workhorse pens is a piston-filler Montblanc and I must say I am not overly enthusiastic about it. To my mind it is not about what one might consider as quality which may or may not be reflected in the ticket price, but like what Billy Connelly said, it's your money.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

BrandNew,

Allow me to speak as a veteran piston-filler user for more than three decades.

Think about a piston-filler pen as a huge screw-type converter with a section fitted to the front, and that's about it. You know that converters do tend to wear out and should be treated as semi-disposable, but with a piston-filler pen you are pretty much committed to this mechanism. In that sense, I would have one that is designed to be dismantled, serviced, and reassembled easily, with replacement parts easily available, and that's exactly the TWSBI design aim.

Sure enough, the perhaps a dozen piston-fillers I went through over the years could well have been serviced, to get the innards cleaned and mechanism greased, but they were not designed to allow for that easily. Currently I am cleaning out one with a bit of red ink stuck behind the piston but it's a bear to take apart, so I am trying to see how I can avoid doing so. With a TWSBI, that would not be a problem at all.

Obviously there are plenty of ostensibly "higher quality" piston-fillers, such as Pelikan and Montblanc etc, in fact one of my workhorse pens is a piston-filler Montblanc and I must say I am not overly enthusiastic about it. To my mind it is not about what one might consider as quality which may or may not be reflected in the ticket price, but like what Billy Connelly said, it's your money.

Hi Seele, The Pilot C92, Pelikan M800 and above and all the modern Montblanc piston fillers can be easily taken apart for servicing.

Best

Hari

Hi Seele, The Pilot C92, Pelikan M800 and above and all the modern Montblanc piston fillers can be easily taken apart for servicing.

Best

Hari

Hari,

Good to know; I am not sure if the manufacturers made it a point to promote them as such, as compared to TWSBI.

Where in the world can you get a Montblanc for under $300-400? I've seen them used for as low as $350 or so. For a 149. But that's used. I realize some people have no qualms with used pens, but I come from a world where people don't take care of their stuff, and I'd rather not inherit other people's problems. Therefore, I always buy new. Only exception was the Esterbrook I bought on ebay for $10. But I've never even used it.

If I can get a Montblanc for under $200, I'd be willing to give it a try, but something tells me anyone that paid $1000+ for a pen is going to want as much as they can back on that and only people who have no clue what they have will offer prices as low as you're suggesting.

I bought a vintage Montblanc 22 piston filler from ebay, for $160 shipped. It's a very nice little pen. Not new of course, it's from the '60s :) But I haven't had any problems with it.

Edited by outbackpengeek

]

I bought a vintage Montblanc 22 piston filler from ebay, for $160 shipped. It's a very nice little pen. Not new of course, it's from the '60s :) But I haven't had any problems with it.

One of my Montblancs is the 22, bought new, its section hood and cap are very brittle, mine have been cracked and glued back together countless times, so be careful. I am not sure if I can find new replacements at sensible cost nowadays.

My Aurora Optima Auroloide has a great filler and holds a whole bunch, including a reserve that kicks in as the main tank reaches empty. This is great as it gives you another couple of pages of writing before it runs out. Love it! All that and good looking too.

Cheers

Leo

Leo James Mitchell

Hi,

I have been a big fan of the Aurora piston-filled pens. Not everyone likes the Riserva Magica feature though. I like it because it gives me some extra writing time if I didn't have time to fill my pen. Pelikan makes a bunch of good piston-filled pens. The Lamy 2000 is another pen to look at. It is a very nice piston-filler with a hooded nib.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon