82 replies to this topic

#1 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

Pen Snob

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,695 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:52

I got back from the show earlier than expected so I figure I'll throw up some reports for Friday and Saturday.

This is the second year for the revived San Francisco Pen Show. This year the location of the show moved from the East Bay where I live to San Mateo which is south of San Francisco. I have fond memories of the hotel having spent my high school years there going to Dundracon. The hotel used to have a medieval theme with castle towers. The hotel is now a Marriott and boasts many large banquet and meeting rooms. Unfortunately, we were in none of those as the hotel was running multiple large events. We were situated in an odd area that consisted of four meeting rooms, the outside corridor and the remnants of one of the old castle towers. There probably was more room than last year but it was broken up into essentially six different areas.

The crowd was decent on Friday. I arrived there before lunch but a number of dealers had not even arrived. Blame it on the fog.

Here is Kudzu exiting the 'castle tower' room.
Posted Image

When I arrived, Pendleton was already busy grinding away in the central hallway area.
Posted Image

Here's some of the early Friday action. The lighting was weird because the meeting rooms had windows and weak interior lights. It made photography tricky.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here's Teri Morris and Tiger
Posted Image

Steve Curnow made a brilliant strategic move to relocate his table from one of the rooms the hallway outside of the room. This will pay off in spades on Saturday.

Posted Image

Some of Steve's leather samples
Posted Image

Lisa aka Nakayanatutrix picked up John Mottishaw and Jonella from the airport. Their flight was delayed so their set-up was delayed.

Lisa was helping out John again this year while also acting as a field reporter for FPGeeks. Here is the live video interview. This exchange was too funny but I do not have it captured. I hope Lisa posts the video.
Posted Image

Here we are shooting each other.
Posted Image

The rare Nakaya ring-top
Posted Image

Nakayas can have a strange effect of people. Here is Lisa the Duchess of Urushi (I coined this one) aka Nakayanautrix aka the Nakaya Evangelist. What is she wearing you might ask? That's the fountain pen tie Pendelton gave Lisa. We then had an adventure while I tried to show Lisa how to tie the tie. I think we have that fiasco on video.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

She's hogging all of the Nakayas
Posted Image

In other Pen show action, we have self service pen repair.

Here's Farmboy using pb2's self service pen repair station.
Posted Image

Posted Image

That's all of the pics for Friday. Friday night was the night for our formal Pen Posse dinner. So I spent the remainder of the day 'winging it'. We had around 20-22 people at a Greek-Italian-Pizza place. It wasn't long before a Pen Posse broke out. Sorry no pics for this kind of event.
"It is traditional and not to be questioned."

"You gotta get your Pen Posse on!"
-Ethernautrix

#2 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

Generally, sleepy.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,886 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:05

Thanks, Ricky, I knew I could count on you for documentation!
"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."
~ Benjamin Franklin

#3 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

Pen Snob

• Member - Gold

• 3,695 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:17

I got to the show on Saturday early enough to catch breakfast at the show. Saturday was much more crowded with a lot of one-day people showing up.

Rick Propas was there selling his pens and promoting the Swann Auction Galleries pen auctions. Rick brought some pens that will be up for auction next March.

Here's a sneak peak. I've already planned out my targets for the next auction.
Posted Image

Here's Doug Berg showing Bert Oser the rare Conklin 'prototype' pen. I'll let someone else tell this story.
Posted Image
Actually, it's more of a how not to use an ultrasonic cleaner. I personally blame BSB.

Our own Syd is entering the pen business with the re-introduction of Eversharp pens. Here are the prototypes.
Posted Image

Posted Image
The pens will be available from Pensbury Manor and at pen shows according to Syd.

Speaking of Eversharp, look at the pretty colors.
Posted Image

Pendleton's still at work
Posted Image

The line for pen work was long. Mike Masuyama's list started around 9 am and it was almost impossible at times to even reach John's table. Pendleton always had a crowd at his table and he even skipped our Pen Posse dinner on Friday to do pen work.

Newcomers Sula Jane and Earl had a beautiful display of colorful leather pen wraps and other pen related leather goods. I love the brilliant colors. They were also blessed with a location with good light for photography so I can bring pictures that show off their goods.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also sharing the tower room with Sula Jane and Earl was Susan Wirth
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Roger Cromwell is always good for bring something different. You need this.
Posted Image

Here are some of Roger newest pens. These are ebonite pens in a really elegant and timeless shape.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by AltecGreen, 07 October 2012 - 15:24.

-Ethernautrix

#4 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

Pen Snob

• Member - Gold

• 3,695 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:38

More Saturday stuff.

Here's Marta who came all the way from Long Island. She did this cool art thing that I can't remember the details to. Ether is going to flog me for forgetting. Marta came with us for our Pen Posse Dim Sum excursion. Here she is waiting for her new Nakaya being fitted with a nib.
Posted Image

Here's Ether showing off Marta's work.
Posted Image

Ether's hard at wokr for FPGeeks interviewing Bert Oser
Posted Image

Our part of the hotel included this cool little balcony area. Perfect for some Pen Posse outdoor pen repair action.
Posted Image

Posted Image

We had a 'cross cultural event' at the show. The hotel had another bigger event going on outside of our area. But the other event was using some of the meeting rooms near the pens show area so the attendees of the other event had to go through the pen show corridor area to get to their meeting room. This worked out for Steve Curnow who was setup on that path. The women for the other event saw Steve's hand bound journals and leather goods and all went crazy. many came back after their meeting to partake in the pen goodness. I think Steve made out ok.
Posted Image

There were several seminars today. Here are scenes from the journaling class.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Sailor set-up a pen testing station.
Posted Image

Here's ParkerBeta testing some pens.
Posted Image

Now time for random shots of Saturday action

Miles Cohen-the next generation
Posted Image

Some Faux wax
Posted Image

Not wax. These were pretty good.
Posted Image

Beautiful Joe Calli Pens
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
DSC_5899 by AltecGreen, on Flickr

The Nakayapocalypse
Posted Image

Some new Taccia pens
Posted Image

A new prototype Taccia done in Nashiji Nuri urushi with silver overlay and jadite stone.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Small journals perfect for your pets.
Posted Image

That's all for now. I have more pics of pens but I'll throw those up tomorrow. If anyone wants pics of something let me know and I'll try to snap some shots tomorrow.

Edited by AltecGreen, 07 October 2012 - 15:23.

-Ethernautrix

#5 ParkerBeta

ParkerBeta

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:35

Great pics of the new Taccia! I even forgot to ask Shu-Jen Lin what it is going to cost, but I'm afraid it's probably much more than I'd be prepared to pay :(
Scriptorium pens Balladeer with steel M nib
Monteverde-Goulet Invincia Nighthawk 1st-Gen with (steel) F nib
S.T. Dupont Defi with (steel) F nib
Platinum 3776 Century with 14kt B nib
Sailor Pro Gear Realo with 21kt F nib
Lamy Studio Palladium with steel 1.1mm italic nib
Monteverde Impressa with (black steel) 1.1mm stub nib

#6 esterbex

esterbex

Rightly seasoned

• Premium - Emerald

• 2,778 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:48

Ricky, your photography is just friggin' awesome! I could almost reach out and touch the subjects in the image. Posted Image
Your reports are the ones I look for and enjoy the most. Posted Image
Thank you for that virtual experience. Can't wait to see the videos by ether! Posted Image
God is seldom early, never late, and always on time. ~~Larry Brown

#7 travberg

travberg

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 October 2012 - 14:13

Great pics Ricky!

Sunday pics for those of us who want to be there, PLEASE :rolleyes:

#8 whichwatch

whichwatch

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 15:38

I love these reports. For those of us who can't attend, it's almost like being there! What fun!

Thanks so much for taking time to post these great photos.

#9 JustinJ

JustinJ

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 October 2012 - 16:03

Thanks for taking the time to post these pictures and write ups. It is very enjoyable to read about the pen show and have pictures to go along with the report.

#10 PenandDesign

PenandDesign

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 16:14

Marvelous! I love the pictures - and the supporting narrative! Thanks for all your hard work!
Visit Pen&Design!

@penanddesign

#11 Skyppere

Skyppere

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 October 2012 - 16:47

Hey Ricky! Soooooo glad you posted these! I've been to dc and la shows but was really curious about the SF show... so I'm glad I got to see it.
Do you happen to remember where you saw those little leather journals (I like the coment 'perfect for your pets!')... do you happen to remember
the seller?
skyppere
aka skip

#12 carroll

carroll

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 October 2012 - 17:30

HA! Thanks Ricky. Great photos...

You know, I did notice Lisa and Cherry were EVERYWHERE!

My only complaint was the $9.00 parking, and the random tiny rooms. I think I missed some sellers, because of the layout. Otherwise, great location for us Peninsula pen people.

Carroll

#13 ArchiMark

ArchiMark

Pen Nut & Pretty Good Guy

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• 2,125 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 October 2012 - 18:52

Excellent pics and commentary!

Thanks for sharing it....was almost like being there again....

:thumbup:
Digerati & FP Addict
Diplomat #055

*** Please check my for sale posts in Classifieds ***

#14 WOBentley

WOBentley

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,304 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 October 2012 - 20:57

Great report, thanks for doing this. I must plan to make it there one year, looks like a great time!
This post contains 100% recycled electrons
Posted Image

#15 lsmith42

lsmith42

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,538 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:15

Being there was almost like... being there!

I am now down an undisclosed amount of currency, but I am up:

1 Nakaya
2 Mars Pens Mini-Mag pens in hard rubber (write up to come soon!)
2 full bottles of Parker 51 Tunis Blue
1 1950s Omega Sub-Second automatic watch to drive Glenn crazy
1 Seiko Diver's automatic watch that was just too cool to leave behind

Not including various little gifts for friends, as well as the wonderful little project conversations...

It was fun...
MB Hemingway M; Dumas M FP/BP/MP set; Fitzgerald M FP/BP/MP set; Jules Verne BB; Leonard Bernstein F; Shaw B; yellow gold/pearl Bohème Pirouette Lilas (custom MB-fitted EF); gold 744-N flexy OBB; 236 flexy OBB; gold/citrine Le Grand F; silver pinstripe Le Grand B; 146 M; 162 RB

#16 ethernautrix

ethernautrix

Be the Pen Posse you want to see in the world.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,619 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:33

Oh wow... ha ha ha, thanks for documenting the pen show, Ricky! When I turn in my report to fpgeeks, it's going to be the URL to this thread. :-D

I am so tired in the best way. I had a great time, and I feel like thanking so many people for making the SF Pen Show feel like a huge Pen Posse/FPN bash; that is, so much fun!

Loren, congratulations on your beautiful Nakaya acquisition. The black matte with rhodium trim is gorgeous.

I have to transfer my photos and clips to the computer. I'm aiming to have a report up by tomorrow afternoon.

Fun people, fun show -- yay! (So tired!)
I ink; therefore, I am
Fleekair <--French accent.

#17 tenney

tenney

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,549 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:48

Yeah, gee thanks Loren! But that Conklin helps make up for it :-)
(thank you, Ricky!!!)

Great to meet you, Marta!

And all that time spent looking at Nakayas... does help figure out what I'll eventually want. So many choices, that it just takes lots of hands-on time to figure it out.

Can't wait to hear next week's FPGeeks podcast to hear Ether's commentary.

Nice pics, Ricky!

And another note: I had a nice chat with the chap from Yafa about the problems quite a few of us had with Stipula steel nibs. John Mortishaw fixed mine. When the guy from Yafa heard that, he offered me a small something very nice to make up for having had to spend money on it. He said that the Stipula people evidently did tighten up the steel nibs reducing ink flow, but have now fixed that. I sure hope so, since having the same problems for quite a few people causes a loss of faith in the Stipula products. To me, though, with Yafa's efforts things sure seem MUCH better! Thank you Yafa.
--
Glenn (I have a "pen" circle on G+)

#18 mcolen

mcolen

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:51

Hey Ricky! Soooooo glad you posted these! I've been to dc and la shows but was really curious about the SF show... so I'm glad I got to see it.
Do you happen to remember where you saw those little leather journals (I like the coment 'perfect for your pets!')... do you happen to remember
the seller?
skyppere
aka skip

I am pretty sure that the tiny journals were at Pendemonium - info@pendemonium.com or www.pendemonium.com
MaryAlice
Steward of Henry's Pens

#19 Andrew H

Andrew H

Chargin' Windmills

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:02

The back of my head (and my bright orange backpack) keep popping up in photos. :headsmack:
"I hope to add some measure of grace to the world. . . . Whether I win or lose does not matter, only that I follow the quest."

Looking for a Sheaffer Sovereign II Gray Pearl with an EF nib.

#20 ethernautrix

ethernautrix

Be the Pen Posse you want to see in the world.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,619 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:13

Instead of asking Ricky to move the continuation of his excellent report back to this thread, here's where he's posting more photos and reporting: San Francisco Pen Show thread. (Shhh... Don't tell him!)
I ink; therefore, I am
Fleekair <--French accent.

#21 kudzu

kudzu

Having a ball!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:19

I only made it to the show Friday and Saturday, but had so much fun! First off, Pendleton Brown, nibmeister extraordinaire, reground a *bunch* of my nibs. I'm so happy I could sing (but I won't -- I promise). Switched out a Nakaya nib with Mottishaw whose Fineness I didn't love to one I now love, thanks to Lisa letting me play with her Nakayas. Got a few vintage pens, too, in addition to having Todd fix pens for me. Best of all was hanging out with all the pen people, Pen Posse folks being the best of the best. Ricky, you always enlighten me, and your photos of the event really captured the flavor of this year's show. I got to do an ink exchange with Carroll, and played with MaryAlice's gorgeous acquisitions since we last saw each other. Everyone was delightful. Another successful pen show. Can hardly wait for Lisa's video report!
Kudzu

"I am a galley slave to pen and ink." ~Honore de Balzac

Happy Pan Pacific Pen Club Member!

#22 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

Pen Snob

• Member - Gold

• 3,695 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:40

Sorry for the delay. Lisa and I went to an after show dinner with John Mottishaw, Jonella, Susan Wirth, John Martinson, and Deborah Basel as well as John's daughter Petra. Fun times with Tapas and pitchers of Sangria.

Today was a little slow. It's amazing that the show landed on one of the busiest weekends in recent history. Let's see, we had two Divisional Baseball playoff games, the CAL-UCLA football game, the 49'ers game, the America's Cup, a bluegrass festival, Fleet week, and a little pen show in San Mateo.

I got to the show after a little late because I had to return home to bring Pendelton his lamp. I am the keeper of Pendelton's lamp. After some mods, we may see a new improved lamp in LA. Heh Heh Heh.

Pendelton was hard at work again!
Posted Image

I always love Pendleton's work area.
Posted Image

Across the way, Mike was busy at work clearing his work queue.
Posted Image

It was quite in the morning and a perfect time to snap some shots. People on the Japan forum wanted some shots of Nakaya pens so here was my opportunity.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
That should be enough.

It was a surprise that Max Davis showed up at the show. Max is one of the great Waterman experts who apparently relocated from London to California. He brought some incredible Waterman stuff.
Posted Image

Waterman sections and nibs.
Posted Image

Bags of Waterman parts
Posted Image

Got Ripple?
Posted Image

Posted Image

Some cool Waterman Ephemera
Posted Image

-Ethernautrix

#23 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

Pen Snob

• Member - Gold

• 3,695 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:41

Fred Krinke's Fountain Pen Shop is 90 years old. He had some really cool NOS pens by a company called Golden Rule. They were based out of New York but had a west coast office in Long Beach. These are nice pens that used to compete against Waterman. So give Fred a call.
Posted Image

Fred's sign.
Posted Image

Posted Image

People on FPN are always asking about parts and tools. My advice, go to a pen show. Or at least learn the names of the vendors that frequent pen shows. Most of these individuals are not on FPN or any online pen board. But.........
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

A good way to get parts is to raid the parts boxes of guys like Dale Beebe, John Strother, and Alan Brookings (and many others) at a pen show and build a stock of parts.
Posted Image

-Ethernautrix

#24 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

Pen Snob

• Member - Gold

• 3,695 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:42

At this point, I'll just throw up some pictures of pens that I found interesting and then pics of people at the show.

Here is a unusual Gold Bond
Posted Image

Here are some nice Laban pens
Posted Image

Posted Image

Here are some primo Taccia pens.
Posted Image

Here is a Parker Duofold with a Charles de Gaulle Head.
Posted Image

Rather than take your chances with eBay, why not buy something restored?
Posted Image

A striking Joe Calli Pen
Posted Image

Here are some of Roger Cromwell's Steampunk pens. These are always pretty unique.
Posted Image

Here is a vintage Postal Pen bulb filler which Gate City pens based their pens on.
Posted Image

Here is a green version with a 'Bonded' imprint.
Posted Image

There were plenty of modern Omas pens.
Posted Image

Here's the celluloid set that Omas sold. These are slightly different than the standard 90's Omas celluloid pens because they have a greek key band on the section.
Posted Image

Some of Dayne Nix's pens
Posted Image

Rick Propas's Pelikans
Posted Image

Some of the Rosetta Pens that Pendelton was selling. I had to do an intervention on Friday when I told Kudzu to put the pens down and back away. A marriage saved. My job was done.
Posted Image

There were a lot of desk pens. These are great if you always use the pen at your desk.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Here's a little Stipula
Posted Image

The new Eversharp Prototypes
Posted Image

Posted Image

Got cases?
Posted Image

There was not a lot of ink and paper at the show because Refill Monster did not show. Sam and Frank had to fill in the gap. They had a lot nice vintage ink bargains.
Posted Image

Posted Image

This pen is one of the bargains of the show. It is a Long Island Chilton in the brilliant blue bronze celluloid. The pen was absolutely mint.
Posted Image

Fountain Pens were not the only game in town.
Posted Image

Edited by AltecGreen, 08 October 2012 - 06:58.

-Ethernautrix

#25 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

Pen Snob

• Member - Gold

• 3,695 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:43

It's really the people that make the show. It felt like I knew almost everyone who came through the door. I can't count how many times I ran into someone whom I never met who knew me. As Lisa said above, it really felt like a giant Pen Posse. Everywhere we gathered, we did what we always do the Pen Posse. At times like these, the pen community feels more like family. I see many of these people several times a year at shows. The dinner tonight was a perfect example.

So here are the people that make the show. There are many stories we traded this weekend and we cannot nearly do justice to those stories in this forum posts.

Here are the people who make the show.

Rick Propas
Posted Image

Leeds Levy was guarding the pens for the next Swann Galleries Auction.
Posted Image

Steve Curnow(sdcurnow) and his wife
Posted Image

Here's Stuart working on a Snorkel
Posted Image

Here's ParkerBeta celebrating after scoring the last bottle of blue Herbin 16230 ink.
Posted Image

John Strother, Alan Brookings
Posted Image

Here's Frank who recently returned to the Northern California Area. Time for a Pen Posse to celebrate. Are you listening Doug?
Posted Image

Detlef and Cindy
Posted Image

John at work
Posted Image

Teri and the Peyton Street gang
Posted Image

Dayne Nix
Posted Image

Pendelton just finished a nib for a customer and wanted someone to test the pen out. Rather than embarass myself, I got Gale, a Pen Posse member, to do the testing. At work we call this delegating.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Here's Gale
Posted Image

She's pretty good with a pen.
Posted Image

Bert and co.
Posted Image

Here's Loren thinking of new ways to taunt tenney. The watch.....the watch.....
Posted Image

Here are my final thoughts about the show.

The show was a blast as usual. It was a non-stop party. I keep on harping this point for those who go to shows. You get much more out of a show if you do not just go for a few hours and then leave. A lot of the fun and learning happens at the end of each day, at dinner, etc. It's building the relationships.

The show itself seems successful. Sunday was pretty slow but there was a lot of competition for attention this weekend. Still, there is room for improvement. I think getting the word out sooner will draw out a large un-tapped market of casual users. If the show grows then we can attract more vendors from outside the northern California Area. I'm working on it. :thumbup:

It was fun hanging out with all of the pen community for the last three days. I need time to unwind and recover. Time for a Pen Posse. :roflmho:

A shout out to new friends. Thanks Kelly (aka Dix) for the pen wrap. I'll let the Pen Posse play with the one you gave me and I'll put up a review. It was great meeting Marta and seeing her Devil's Dictionary. Of course a shout out to all of the Pen Posse members and old friends.

Edited by AltecGreen, 08 October 2012 - 07:01.

-Ethernautrix

#26 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

Pen Snob

• Member - Gold

• 3,695 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:44

Instead of asking Ricky to move the continuation of his excellent report back to this thread, here's where he's posting more photos and reporting: San Francisco Pen Show thread. (Shhh... Don't tell him!)

It's ok.

I moved everything to the correct thread.

-Ethernautrix

#27 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

Pen Snob

• Member - Gold

• 3,695 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:46

the seller?
skyppere
aka skip

I am pretty sure that the tiny journals were at Pendemonium - info@pendemonium.com or www.pendemonium.com

Mary Alice is correct. The little journals are from Pendemonium.

-Ethernautrix

#28 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

Generally, sleepy.

• Member - Gold

• 2,886 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:35

Once again, Ricky, many thanks for allowing all of us 'out here' to get a feel for the weekend - looks like a lovely time was had by all!
"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."
~ Benjamin Franklin

#29 MadAmos

MadAmos

Radioactive

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 October 2012 - 15:18

This was my first pen show and I don't know what took me so long. I have been collecting and using fountain pens since the late 70's and the wealth of knowledge I gained from actually being there was a real treat. The damage to my bank account was also a "treat" :roflmho:

I went home with a used Nakaya Portable Writer in Ishimi Kanshitsu with a Ruthenium clip and nib that had been ground to a cursive italic by Mike Matsuyama. My wife picked out a silver pearl Vac Debutante with excellent translucency. I could have spent so much more as there were several pens that I have wanted for years that were hard to set down. I guess that maturity is setting in (about time) and besides it gives me reason to plan on another show (Hmm LA is not that much farther away).

I wish that I had more time and could have met more of you (Hi Lisa) but it is hard to know who is a FPN'er and who is not.
Amos

The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once.
Albert Einstein

#30 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

Pen Snob

• Member - Gold

• 3,695 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 15:37

(Hmm LA is not that much farther away).

I wish that I had more time and could have met more of you (Hi Lisa) but it is hard to know who is a FPN'er and who is not.

Definitely go to LA.

It's a much bigger show (4-5 times bigger) with dealers from around the world not just the local area.

For FPN'ers, you can just ask many of the dealers or Lisa to point them out.

-Ethernautrix