Lamy Safari

sine.nomine

So far, the Safari nib seems much stiffer and more resistant to being reshaped this way, but then I hesitate to really get after it until I get a good look at the tip under better glass. If all else fails, I'll try to smooth it with some micro-mesh.

Yes, that's been my experience with Lamy's Safari nibs. On the few I've had to tune, the tines were a bit misaligned but needed micromesh smoothing. By the way, Brian Gray of the Edison Pen Company has an excellent essay on tuning nibs. You may wish to scroll about halfway down to begin with the italicized paragraph. See http://edisonpen.com/page.cfm/IPGnibs2

Edited by bphollin

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sine.nomine

• bphollin

• Sailor Kenshin

• Genius

My first thought was the same with Laura N that you might be pressing down too hard when you write, but you're obviously not. So yes, I think you have a lemon or your writing style and Safaris just don't mesh.

But I also want to add that some of my nibs have been far from perfect out of the book. I wrote earlier that I have EF, F, M, B, 1.1, and 1.5 nibs. Well, I actually have two EFs, one I tried to tune myself. It didn't work out and it now writes more like a M (should've done some reading on this forum first! Gaah!). And I just got my second M nib, which was a tad misaligned. My B nib feels a bit off, too. I also have a pet theory that the black finish nibs are smoother. A part of me hates the fact that some Lamy nibs require tinkering, but I guess I'm too fond of my Safaris :)

So sorry to hear that you've had so much trouble with yours! But I'm glad to hear that your other pens are working for ya!

I actually had a similar experience with my first Safari, only it was even worse in my case, since that was my first "real" fountain pen. And it was just awful, beyond scratchy and incredibly skippy and unreliable, like writing with a pointy twig dipped in ink. I tried flushing it, I tried different inks, I tried different papers, to no avail. I had no prior FP experience (aside from Pilot Varsities which weren't "real" fountain pens to my mind) so I wondered if maybe that's how fountain pens were supposed to be; maybe that's what all you people like, the experience of needing to write over every letter three or four times. It actually turned me off fountain pens for a couple years. Certainly I wasn't about to buy another Lamy.

It's only just recently that I've gotten over my Lamy-phobia and bought a Vista. It's nice, a great improvement, but even it sometimes gets into a mood where it just says, "I don't feel like writing any down-strokes right now" and there's nothing for it but to let it rest. Which is a shame, since I actually do like the Lamy design. I was planning on getting an Al-Star (and maybe a Studio... working my way up to a 2000) until my Vista started acting up.

Edited by maskull

The Safari does come with a warranty, right? I believe it's one of the cheapest pens you can get with a box, instructions, warranty and some sort of customer service from the maker. That's part of the reason for its success. (And the easily changed nibs are a plus too.)

I've used about 5 Safaris in a variety of nib styles. 3 of those had the same problems the OP describes, and 2 were totally irrecoverable. It's an OK beginner's pen, but I would not recommend it unless price is a major issue. I've since sold ormgiven away all of my Safaris (I absolutely deplore the aesthetics). The comments about Noodler's Blue-Black running well in these pens are dead-on though. (For those of you wondering, I write with a Cross Century II, and a Parker Sonnet now). OF course, YMMV.

I have to admit, I thought the OP was trolling at first. (I recognize that's not the case now.) But you know what? Not every pen works for every person. I really love Lamy design and Lamy pens (even the lowly school pens) but that's not everyone's cup of tea. I *do* feel bad for those who have bad experiences with Safaris, only because I know how great they can be.

My first Safari was very smooth with almost no feedback which actually led me to purchase a second one. The second one was, however, scratchy and had minor problems with inkflow. I had to smoothen the nib first using fine sandpaper and did a little fiddling with its feed. Now the Safari works really smooth with no skips! But with this kind of experience, I no longer have the incentive to buy anymore Lamy products due to the inconsistencies though I do agree a good Safari is a wonderful introduction into the fountain pen universe.

@bphollin:

Thanks for the link! I like the example of the ideal nib alignment. I'm not sure if I have the ability to twist the tines enough to open the small gap at the bottom, but it's worth the challenge to find out.

@tonybelding:

It does have a warranty, but I would have to pay $9.50 to send it back to Connecticut. Part of me is a little resentful of spending another ten to get the pen working like it should've out of the box. Plus, I thought that money would be better spend on a new and different nib. Yeah, so I was wrong, but hey, the ability to change out nibs is one of the reasons I was interested in the Safari to begin with. In retrospect I probably could have returned it, but now it's personal and I don't want the pen to win. :lol:

It may be surprising to hear after my complaining, but I actually do like the design of the Safari and I love some of the colors it's available in. I don't mind the triangular section. (Well, unless it's somehow preventing me from holding the pen at the right angle thereby causing my trouble. If that's the case, I hate it, lol.) Anyway, I'm envious of those of you who have such a good experience with this pen, and that's making me increasingly determined to get something good out of mine. I chose the Safari after a a long search for THE pen I want to use for grading. It's worth a little experimenting to find out if it can ever really shine, especially now that I'm convinced it can.

EDIT- @Genius: If you don't mind me asking, what did you end up doing to the feed?

Edited by sine.nomine

I enjoyed the Lamy Safaris I own. My first experience with one was the Vista. This lead to me purchasing 4 safaris in different colors in addition to an All-Star. I liked the all-star much more than the Safaris. Unfortunantley I lost the All-Star at work and have never replaced it. I am at a point now where I expect more out of a nib than what the safari nibs offer. I LOVE my Lamy 200 and will never let her go. I like the Parker 51s a lot too. I just ordered a Pilot VP and I am eagerly awaiting it's arrival. I seem to be moving away from the "entry level" pens like the safari toward the more mid range pens.

"You win with people." Woody Hayes

@jasonbgruber

i always have problems with the safaris when new, but it hasn't stop me from buying a couple more. after tweaking the nib and/or changing it to a italic point they are great. i own four. my fav nib size on these is the italic 1.1.

as far as color/model: i like the charcoal and the vista (clear).

so, if you don't like the safari... don't post in the lamy forum! ;)

No one has asked this question,so I'll do it--was the nib steel or black coated

as some of their nibs are? I ask because I was wondering if the coating hap-

pened to get down between the tines? It's also possible that the material un-

der the nib wasn't finished properly,which might give it that scratchy feel/sound

while writing with it.

I have 3 safaris-lime green,red and charcoal--and they all write beautifully.

John

Irony is not lost on INFJ's--in fact,they revel in it.

I actually had a similar experience with my first Safari, only it was even worse in my case, since that was my first "real" fountain pen. And it was just awful, beyond scratchy and incredibly skippy and unreliable, like writing with a pointy twig dipped in ink. I tried flushing it, I tried different inks, I tried different papers, to no avail. I had no prior FP experience (aside from Pilot Varsities which weren't "real" fountain pens to my mind) so I wondered if maybe that's how fountain pens were supposed to be; maybe that's what all you people like, the experience of needing to write over every letter three or four times. It actually turned me off fountain pens for a couple years. Certainly I wasn't about to buy another Lamy.

It's only just recently that I've gotten over my Lamy-phobia and bought a Vista. It's nice, a great improvement, but even it sometimes gets into a mood where it just says, "I don't feel like writing any down-strokes right now" and there's nothing for it but to let it rest. Which is a shame, since I actually do like the Lamy design. I was planning on getting an Al-Star (and maybe a Studio... working my way up to a 2000) until my Vista started acting up.

I don't get it. If you find Lamy's inconvenient why don't you try some other brand?

There is a big number of inexpensive pens which are very good performers.

Nick Apostolakis

Msc in IT, University of Glasgow

GPG ID: 0xBDF1848D

e-mail: nickapos@oncrete.gr

Web Site: http://nick.oncrete.gr

I agree. I had a Lamy Vista and a Lamy All Star, and I remember a bit of scratchiness, although after I learned not to use any downward pressure when writing with a fp, the scratchiness didn't bother me much. I believe that to a slight degree also, the kind of paper might make some difference.

Love my Lamy Vista with three nibs. Just got the EF, and it has been as smooth as the others. And I appreciate the fine line (not a true EF) for smaller writing needs.

But, sure, other pens are good and cheaper. I have some of those, too....

I only own a F and EF so far (Vista & charcoal Safari). Admittedly, the EF was HORRIBLY scratchy at first, but after some use, it's seems I've broken it in (or just gotten used to it).

Perhaps they are over-hyped, but they are quite nifty pens, especially for everyday use.

I doubt I would give one as a sentimental gift, though; the build is almost too practical/non-fancy. (People often reel in horror after hearing how much I paid for my Vista. That's probably a demonstrator issue in general though.)

A friend fell in love with my first Safari...the yellow one with black nib thatnI considered scratchy. I bought him one of his own and he loved it just as much. So yeah, they can make good presents.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

So after reading posts on here and recommendations from other people I was watching fpgeeks do a review on the safari. I picked one up today. I have to say if you close your eyes its like writing with a fine nib Pilot G2 Gel pen on first impression. I inked it up with Mont Blanc Toffee and pocketed it for a while to see if the nib would dry. After about an hour I tried it again. It immediately wrote. The texture on the barrel and angled grip are a little strange as it forces you to hold the pen a certain way. I will take it to work Monday and see how it does. Overall I am impressed and glad I got one.

So after reading posts on here and recommendations from other people I was watching fpgeeks do a review on the safari. I picked one up today. I have to say if you close your eyes its like writing with a fine nib Pilot G2 Gel pen on first impression. I inked it up with Mont Blanc Toffee and pocketed it for a while to see if the nib would dry. After about an hour I tried it again. It immediately wrote. The texture on the barrel and angled grip are a little strange as it forces you to hold the pen a certain way. I will take it to work Monday and see how it does. Overall I am impressed and glad I got one.

:W2FPN:

To those of you who praise and recommend the Safari, I have to ask, did it work great right out of the box

I ordered one with a F nib because of the comments on this forum and received it today. Just to check it out. It writes perfectly smooth on different kinds of paper.

The design is awkward though. If I put my index finger and thumb on the flat sides, which feels like a natural position to hold the pen, I keep skipping letters. With a bit twisted grip, all goes well but that holding position is less convenient. Maybe it's just a matter of getting used to, but my first impression is that a round top would have been better.