Gift Advice Wanted

Ergates

Hello

I'm thinking of buying my partner a pen as a gift to celebrate the birth of our son (fingers crossed, natch!) - kind of a thankyou present as she'll be putting in 99% of the effort!

I like the look of the Pelikan M400/M600 and the Waterman Carène, however I'm not entirely sure about the sizes as she's quite petite (5'3"). I know she's definately OK with a Pelikan Prera (as she was looking at one in a shop recently), but that's the only pen I could name - I guess that's kind of "standard" size?

The M600 is usually described as mid-sized, which sounds like "standard" size to me. But the existance of the smaller M400 makes me wonder - ss the M600 the "normal" sized pen and the M400 the small, or is the M400 the "normal" sized pen and the M600 the "slightly larger" one? Kind of like in coffee shops where "regular" can mean small, or medium, or large - depending on their idea of how much coffee people actually want to drink. I've got no idea where the Waterman would sit in the size scale.

Just looking at the dimensions doesn't mean much to me as don't really know which ones make the biggest difference (e.g. I'm guessing a 1mm increase in diameter would have more of an impact than a 1mm difference in length!).

So, I guess my question is - do you think those pens would be OK for a not particularly tall female?

I'm also open to suggestions of completely different pens in a similar price bracket.

I hope the above makes some semblance of sense...

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mongrelnomad

• alc3261

• Ergates

• Richardmuth

The size of her hand is more important to pen size than her height.

If you know she likes the Prera, get the Pelikan that matches it's size most closely.

If she's just going to often toss it in her purse, the shorter pen might work better there.

The Carene is an all metal pen. It will be considerably heavier than either of the two Pelikans or the Prera.

Why don't you find a Pel 320 in the Burgundy and see if that doesn't do it for you (and her). The little special edition boxing is very apropos to the pen.

souveraen-m-320-normal.png

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Why don't you find a Pel 320 in the Burgundy and see if that doesn't do it for you (and her). The little special edition boxing is very apropos to the pen.

souveraen-m-320-normal.png

I think it's closer to red actually, and not just by the photo. For Valentine's day last year, Pelikan had a special box M320 for the occasion.

----------

M400 is probably a more "classic" standard (or medium) size pen, same size as the pen on which it's based, the 400 from the 1950s+.

But these days big pens are in, so people tend to shift the scale. If prefer smaller pens myself, the M400 is my favorite, although I own the slightly larger M600 and an M800. M320 I find too small, too thin and too short -- I don't post my pens. I think my favorite modern small pen is the Aurora Optima mini.

Edited by eric47

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)

Thanks for the info - I'd assumed that the Prera was a standard sized pen. If it's a small, then the smaller Pelikan sounds like the better option.

Regarding the Carène - She has a Jinhao X500 (I posted earlier from work and couldn't remember what it was called), which is pretty heavy (and chunky). But she doesn't use it very much - I'm not sure if that's because of the size/weight or because she doesn't like the nib.

She doesn't put pens loose in her bag, so that's not an issue.

Maybe I'll try to surreptitiously extract some more info from her.

Thanks for the info - I'd assumed that the Prera was a standard sized pen. If it's a small, then the smaller Pelikan sounds like the better option.

Regarding the Carène - She has a Jinhao X500 (I posted earlier from work and couldn't remember what it was called), which is pretty heavy (and chunky). But she doesn't use it very much - I'm not sure if that's because of the size/weight or because she doesn't like the nib.

She doesn't put pens loose in her bag, so that's not an issue.

Maybe I'll try to surreptitiously extract some more info from her.

It is a big and heavy pen so maybe that's why she doesn't use it. The nib is quite nice.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

My Pen Wraps are for sale in my Etsy shop

I am her height. My hands are on the small side. I cannot stand the M400. It's way too slender. Note: I do not post.

"In the above comparison, it is important to note that the M600 in the centre could be considered a 'normal' sized pen. The M405 and Epoch above it are smaller than average, but become normal sized when the cap is taken off and 'posted' on the other end of the pen to write." http://www.pelikanpe...Comparison.html

Edited by whitedot

My wife is about 5'4" and has little hands, she finds my Pelikan M600 quite comfortable, and she is a poster. I think it's quite a small (I am not a poster), not sure how that helps you really, is it viable to get her to try the pens out in advance?

My wife finds the M400 size perfect for her. She loves her white tortoise.

http://munchkinwrangler.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/100_2231.jpg

Other alternatives in a similar size (for a similar price) include:

- Conway Stewart Capulet (pros - huge nib, cons - c/c)

http://www.retail-world.net/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/c/a/cap1.jpg

- Sailor 1911 (pros - great nibs, cheaper; cons - c/c)

http://www.sailor.co.jp/EXPORT/1911/images/pen_06.jpg

Platinum Koi (pros - celluloid, cons - c/c)

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d138/leighpod/koi1.jpg

Or, if you're feeling really indulgent, a Nakaya Piccolo (pros - ebonite, urushi; cons - c/c, expensive):

http://www.ciar-roisin.net/photos/nakaya/Sunlit-01.jpg

Edited by mongrelnomad

Too many pens; too little writing.

(For the record, my wife has 4 of the above five. Her favourite - by far - is the Platinum.)

Thanks, there are some nice ranges there (I like quite a lot of the Pilot ones especially)

That Nakaya Piccolo one is beautiful, but might be a little too far (considering little bundle of expense we're about to gain).

Thanks, there are some nice ranges there (I like quite a lot of the Pilot ones especially)

That Nakaya Piccolo one is beautiful, but might be a little too far (considering little bundle of expense we're about to gain).

We had our first little one just over nine months ago... tell me about it! (They are great though.)

I'll throw in another vote for the Pel M400/405 range/line of pens. Excellent size for smaller hands (but I love mine, and I have large hands), and Pelikans are absolutely wonderful pens for use (piston fill, excellent nib), and maintenance easy to remove nib unit for cleaning and re-lubing the piston (not often needed, but good to know). And, the price is relatively good.

Ken

Petite size doesn't have much to do with hand size. And even then small hands might find larger pens more comfortable and vice versa. Don't buy her a pen she hasn't held and tried extensively at the local shop.

The sword is mightier than the pen. However, swords are now obsolete whereas pens are not.

-Unknown

Petite size doesn't have much to do with hand size. And even then small hands might find larger pens more comfortable and vice versa. Don't buy her a pen she hasn't held and tried extensively at the local shop.

Agree with that completely.

If there's a local pen store or show, or club, then what about this. For the occasion of the gift, give her card indicating that the gift requires her involvement. Take her the place, and let her pick.

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)

• 1 year later...

I have the 2011 Valentintine edition in box in a cream pearl color. It's beautiful.