#1 Windycityhorse

Windycityhorse

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2012 - 22:19

My beloved, sterling Aurora Ipsilon is my office-workhorse pen. Unfortunately, I do have a medical condition that causes my hands to shake, called Essential Tremor. Think of it as Parkensons lite (with no offense to those afflicted), so I death-grip my pens to keep my writing fluid. I generally prefer heavy metal pens, thus this Ipsilon is prized in my collection until I can get my hands on a YOL Viceroy.

Sadly, I have done this once before, and sent it to Aurora Italy for repairs, but it cost me as much as the pen is worth.

Does anyone know of how I can get this repaired in the states? Or a good part source??? Any help would be appreciated. Jean

Attached Images

• Ipsilonrb.jpg

I'm not in favor of natural selection. I'm just saying: Let's remove the warning lables and see what happens.

Aurora Ipsilon .925 RB, ST Dupont Nacre Noire RB

#2 Russ

Russ

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 22:29

I'm sorry to hear of this loss, and of your tremors.

If you grip tightly, maybe a pen with metal section threads, or a pen without any section / barrel joint, would be better for you.

Cross' Townsend and many others have metal threads.
The YOL Grand is so strongly-built I don't see how it could be damanged by a tight trip.

Marlen's Basilea has a captive converter, so no threads at all.
Piston fillers in general won't have a section / barrel joint.

Still another thought - - I wonder if your pen's section / barrel joint could be fused, and a threaded opening made at the back end to create an eyedropper.

I hope someone can repair your pen, and that you can again enjoy it!

#3 RMN

RMN

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,754 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 October 2012 - 00:43

I'm sorry to hear of this loss, and of your tremors.

If you grip tightly, maybe a pen with metal section threads, or a pen without any section / barrel joint, would be better for you.

Cross' Townsend and many others have metal threads.
The YOL Grand is so strongly-built I don't see how it could be damanged by a tight trip.

Marlen's Basilea has a captive converter, so no threads at all.
Piston fillers in general won't have a section / barrel joint.

Still another thought - - I wonder if your pen's section / barrel joint could be fused, and a threaded opening made at the back end to create an eyedropper.

I hope someone can repair your pen, and that you can again enjoy it!

Not much use to make an eyedropper out of a rollerball.

I think you might try to buy a non-sterling version of this pen on the bay and use it for parts...
And I would guess you could get a new section in the US from a good shop.

D.ick

The FPN-Stipula LE 2011 and 2012, too .:

....GOT THEM!!!!!!

#4 Oregon Duck

Oregon Duck

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:00

I second the suggestion for finding a used Ipsilon on eBay for parts. Seems likely to be the most cost effective way to address the issue....
--PHIL

#5 NedC

NedC

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 October 2012 - 22:55

If you're looking for a death-group pen as a back up or to tide you over until you get that Yard-O-Led Viceroy you may want to consider the Tombow Zoom 505bw; it's all metal, anodized aluminum with a circumfrentially brushed finish or lacquer over aluminum in various colours, has a firm rubberized grip section-rubber over metal not plastic, a very secure snap cap that posts securely and is less expensive than the Aurora. The only downside is that it takes a proprietary rollerball refill, which though it is excellent, is a bit harder to find so you should probably stock up if you do buy one, they also seem to have slightly less capacity than the standard Schmidt types.

#6 Windycityhorse

Windycityhorse

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 October 2012 - 23:18

Thanks all, for the advice. You gave me several options to think about. I appreciate it!
I'm not in favor of natural selection. I'm just saying: Let's remove the warning lables and see what happens.

Aurora Ipsilon .925 RB, ST Dupont Nacre Noire RB

#7 ever onward

ever onward

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:12

Ummm...what's broken? I can't tell from your picture what happened. To me the pen just looks like it's been separated into its disparate parts.

?

thx,
eo
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.
The important thing is not to stop questioning. --Albert Einstein

#8 irrigger

irrigger

It's not easy being mean...he he he

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:34

Ummm...what's broken? I can't tell from your picture what happened. To me the pen just looks like it's been separated into its disparate parts.

?

thx,
eo

If you look at the ink refill, you can see the black plastic band that was once attached to the front section.

#9 Garageboy

Garageboy

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,285 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 21:41

I cannot imagine the RB section being that expensive. Contact Aurora again?