How Do You Display Your Inks?

amberleadavis

So last week, my dad and a friend walk in to my office. Turns out the friend wants to buy at least one of my roll top desks. He starts ogling my potions cabinet. I had to say "no" even to the profit because, really, how would I display my inks. (Oh, and I may have acquired more inks).

http://sheismylawyer.com/INK/attachments/2013-05-26-Cabinet-6000.JPG

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Fuzzy_Bear

• lgsoltek

• HalloweenHJB

I don't display mine, they're kept in a draw, in their boxes, add to that the A/C, and heat in the winter and I have some inks that are at least 5 years old and I've never has one go bad on me.

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

So, I decided to display my cool bottle so ink. How about you?

http://sheismylawyer.com/INK/attachments/IMG033_small.jpg

And here is a larger picture.

Mother of inks.

And now you see I've acquired more.

:) I've had bottles in the heat, out in the light and never had one fade.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 2 weeks later...

I reorganized the cabinet tonight!

http://sheismylawyer.com/INK/attachments/2013-06-05-Cabinet2-small.JPG

I don't display mine, they're kept in a draw, in their boxes, add to that the A/C, and heat in the winter and I have some inks that are at least 5 years old and I've never has one go bad on me.

Same. I keep mine in a cupboard in the boxes they come in, so the light doesn't get to them and the temperature stays relatively constant. I'm hoping they will last a while as I have quite a few.

Tenet insanabile multos scribendi cacoethes.

Many are possessed by the incurable urge to write.

Juvenal

I've had some of those bottles for more than 2 decades. I've kept them in the light (though not direct sunlight) in an un-airconditioned, unheated railway car. After 20+ years, not a single one of my inks have faded. The pelikan black did crumble but I think that is because the lid was not entirely airproof and the ink evaporated. Even still --- no fading. I have even started a new experiment to test the fading of inks left in direct sunlight. So far, 2 months later, no fading.

You can look my my fade experiments, I'm pretty serious about UV exposure.

Love that cabinet. So pretty.

-eo

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.

The important thing is not to stop questioning. --Albert Einstein

Thank you. It's a collection in progress.

• 10 months later...

Okay, an update.... Here it is before I got my second cabinet.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Potions_Cabinet/slides/20140326_122405.jpg

Amber, I never tire of looking into your cabinet! Is anyone responsible for dusting all those bottles?

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2014-Inklings/slides/2014-Ink_445.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The boxed ones are on my shelf, those which are not have boxes are in drawer, but even if I have only 32 different inks, but some of them have multiple bottles, its started to take a lot of place, so thinking about another storage method...

I keep my inks in Really Useful boxes.

I love Really Useful boxes and jsut bought more.

Today, I set up the two cabinets. Now, I have room for more ink.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inked_Today/slides/20140601_180518.jpg

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inked_Today/slides/20140601_180536.jpg

I so need an ink cabinet, I just looked and I have over 20 in one brand alone! (Those 30mil Diamine inks are addictive!)

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

Yep, you are up in Reno right? You should be able to find something.

Very nice display!

My inks live in plastic tubs in a closet. Not artistic, but it protects them from light and accidents.

Same with me.

John

Fountain pen lover