#31 ThatLeoneGuy

ThatLeoneGuy

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2013 - 16:13

I bought the green converter for my Cross Aventura and I push it into the nib section and when I put the barrel on there is a springing action and it is difficult to screw it but not impossible.However, because of the pressure it forces the screw into the ink cavity and pushes all the ink out. Yes, I made a mess...what am I doing wrong?
 "Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."Baoer 388, Cross ATX, Cross Apogee, Cross Solo, Cross Aventura, Lamy Safari Yellow, Franklin Covey Freemont, Jinhao 149, Baoer Skywalker, Lamy AL-Star Blue, Lamy Safari Matte Black, Invincia Color Fusion, Noodler's Ahab, Shaeffer Prelude, Lamy Accent."

#32 Mike 59

Mike 59

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2013 - 22:26

Hi, I think the idea is that you can carry a spare cartridge in the barrel, above the cartridge in use.
The spring, right at the top, is to push the spare cartridge down and prevent it getting stuck in the barrel.
But if you are using a converter, you take the spring right out.
Can't remember if I had a spring in mine, from new, but I do use a converter and no spring in the barrel.

Edited by Mike 59, 04 February 2013 - 22:32.

#33 ThatLeoneGuy

ThatLeoneGuy

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:14

Hi, I think the idea is that you can carry a spare cartridge in the barrel, above the cartridge in use.
The spring, right at the top, is to push the spare cartridge down and prevent it getting stuck in the barrel.
But if you are using a converter, you take the spring right out.
Can't remember if I had a spring in mine, from new, but I do use a converter and no spring in the barrel.

Ok, I took off the little tip end of the barrel because the spring inside was stuck. It wasn't easy. I said a few choice words but I got he tip off the barrel. The spring came out after using a wire. Put the tip back onto the barrel. Pushed the green converter into the nib end and inked up the converter....screwed the barrel to the nib end and...ta dah! It works! That spring was the problem. Converter fits nice now inside the pen. I know why they put a spring in there...to load a spare cartridge and put pressure on the cartridge being used. They want you to use cartridges. Bottled ink is much more economical and more eco.

So Mike, you were right. But all that prying the tip off, my Aventura looks like a wild beast chewed on it. Guess I will head over to Cross HQ and go to the retail store and upgrade to an Affinity, ATX or Century...yes I already got an orange converter. So far the Aventura is not impressive...writes fine but operational....they just didn't need that little spring.

Edited by ThatLeoneGuy, 05 February 2013 - 02:16.

"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."Baoer 388, Cross ATX, Cross Apogee, Cross Solo, Cross Aventura, Lamy Safari Yellow, Franklin Covey Freemont, Jinhao 149, Baoer Skywalker, Lamy AL-Star Blue, Lamy Safari Matte Black, Invincia Color Fusion, Noodler's Ahab, Shaeffer Prelude, Lamy Accent."

#34 vinper

vinper

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 February 2013 - 21:55

I believe the spring is in there not to help with a second cartridge, but because the barrel does double duty in the sense that it is used for rollerballs as well and the spring has a function in that mode. In another post it was suggested to remove the spring to make carrying a second cartridge easier. In fact I could not carry a spare in some of my Cross fps without removing the spring. The simplest way to get rid of the spring is with the chopstick method, which causes no damage at all. vinper

Edited by vinper, 14 February 2013 - 00:12.

#35 Saintpaulia

Saintpaulia

"Hey There!"

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 March 2013 - 21:15

Blue, orange, green! I am more confused now than when I came to this thread for help!
The only business thus far I've found that sells cartridge converters for Cross pens is PenBoutique. They don't name the converters by color. They have two types: Type 1 and Type 2. Which one, if any, will fit my Cross Century? Not Century II, just the plain Century? Thanks, Breck

Update: I found this info on another thread and it seems to be the answer: "It is the first Century fountain pen, which has been superseded by the Century II. It takes a green push-fit converter. Those are still sold, but the advertising will often say it is for the Cross Townsend..."

Edited by Saintpaulia, 14 March 2013 - 02:52.

#36 lightspirit

lightspirit

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:45

I just bought the wrong converter the other day... :bonk: I've got the orange screw version in a ripped open package :gaah: destined to be thrown out of sight in the back of a desk drawer. :bawl:

I will gladly trade with you. I have a spare green one. I could use an orange threaded one. Are you in USA? I can toss a green one in the mail to you.
Lightspiritphotography@yahoo.com or contact me on FB.

#37 lightspirit

lightspirit

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:49

Blue, orange, green! I am more confused now than when I came to this thread for help!
The only business thus far I've found that sells cartridge converters for Cross pens is PenBoutique. They don't name the converters by color. They have two types: Type 1 and Type 2. Which one, if any, will fit my Cross Century? Not Century II, just the plain Century? Thanks, Breck

Update: I found this info on another thread and it seems to be the answer: "It is the first Century fountain pen, which has been superseded by the Century II. It takes a green push-fit converter. Those are still sold, but the advertising will often say it is for the Cross Townsend..."

The Cross Century is an older design. It takes the unthreaded, green Type 1 converter. I have one.

#38 Saintpaulia

Saintpaulia

"Hey There!"

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:11

Thank you!

#39 lightspirit

lightspirit

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:55

Thank you!

Breck, If you like, send me an email with your address. I will send you a green one. I can use the orange one if you would kindly send it by return mail.
George.

#40 Saintpaulia

Saintpaulia

"Hey There!"

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:40

Thank you!

Breck, If you like, send me an email with your address. I will send you a green one. I can use the orange one if you would kindly send it by return mail.
George.

Hi George, thank you for your generosity. As it happened, I ordered the green one from PenBoutique and it arrived today. It fits my Cross Century perfectly! Breck

#41 Biber

Biber

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 13:35

Am I correct in the observation that an orange converter will work in a pen that takes a green converter, it'll simply be a push fit and not screw in?

#42 ThatLeoneGuy

ThatLeoneGuy

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 March 2013 - 20:29

@Biber...all I can say is that I have a Cross ATX and Apogee which takes an orange converter and I have a Cross Aventura which takes the green converter. I did do a switcheroo and I noticed some leaking from the ATX with the push in green converter. However, when I put the orange converter in the Aventura there was no leaking.

So I don't know...