Pharmacist's Urkundentinte

sirach

I got a package from Belgium today. It was from FPN's own ... Pharmacist. I got two inks. The one I am looking at today is the Urkundentinte, or Iron Gall Document Ink.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-X8DfZuZYrWU/UF5VUXrr0pI/AAAAAAAABxg/BjGhxf4rj6g/s400/Picture+2.jpg

It really doesn't do any justice to post a scan, so I put up a video... check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jvx94V0Tpg8&

More reviews etc at the bliggity blog... http://www.tomvoboril.com/2012/09/pharmacists-urkundentinte.html

Edited by sirach

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sirach

• pharmacist

• Chris S

• inkstainedruth

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Sirach,

Thanks for the incredible extensive video review. The transparant fountain pen is just fantastic to observe the colour of the ink inside. For sake of pen hygiene: do not forget to rinse your pen first with diluted vinegar (1 part of clear table vinegar + 9 parts of (destilled) water) before using any other cleansing agent, like ammonia. This way the IG compounds will not precipitate as a tenacious black tarnish on the inside of your pens.

Note: Urkundentinte contains 2.5x as much of the permanent IG compounds compared to my other "lighter" IG inks, which depend more on the dye compound. Urkundentinte is completely waterproof when properly dried and oxidized. The other inks (like Turkish Night and Darkening Absinthe) still are pretty permanent, but the dye compound is partially bleeding away from the writing, when it gets wet. Also the "lighter" IG inks still remain some of the dye colour shining through the dark and permanent IG body. This is intentionally formulated to get you a combined colour after oxidation.

Thanks..... I did not mean to make it so long. I started filling out an ink review form and grabbed me camera, trying to get pictures of the color change... I just was not fast enough. The web-cam seemed like a good idea. I made so many mistakes... but I did not really want to do it again. The top scan was a day old when I put it up. It is really mesmerizing to watch it change. I sent a letter to my brother on unbleached (Original Crown Mill) paper, took a picture of it (still had the light blue color), had the picture printed so he could see the change when he gets the letter. There is just something so fascinating about iron gall ink.

Great review and video.

I've been on a bit of an IG kick of late. I think I really want to get this ink now!

I agree - there is something fascinating about iron gall ink.

Thanks for sharing.

All I want is 1 more pen, and 1 more bottle of ink, and maybe 1 more pad of paper. Well, at least until tomorrow. Oh yeah, and throw in that bottle of single malt. Is that asking for too much?

thanks Chris.

Thanks for posting the video review. I haven't gotten this one yet, but I have some of Pharmacist's other inks, and a video is definitely the way to show these inks off best. Last spring I was having lunch with a friend and showing her Turkish Night, and how fast the color changed -- I had thought about doing an actual review, but couldn't get the camera up to my face fast enough to show the "before and after" of the color shift :headsmack:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."