Fpn Coupon At Gouletpens.com Expiring

GouletPens

While I only used the discount code, twice I think, I'd MUCH rather have you guys stay in business! Who else would spend so much time and energy creating things like the Nib Nook, and all the other wonderful comparison tools you guys have (as well as awesome videos and fabulous photography)? They're such a massive help to anyone with an interest in this hobby. And whilst I may not do as much shopping at Goulet Pens as others, due to living across the water and hating customs, you guys are the first US company I go to when I'm looking for something as you guys have the best packing and fastest (and best priced actually) shipping I've ever experienced when buying from the US. And you're all amazing to boot.

~ Danni

I like to collect the cheap, cheerful and colourful!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GouletPens

• Icywolfe

• Algester

• Pelikan_FP

It's hard for independent niche sellers to stay in business and I want Goulet's to stay in business for a long, long time. It's hard to find on-line sellers with such great customer service and love for their product. I can see why shipping is no longer free; it's hard to do when you have things like pens and inks. Free shipping on a $100 pen is not a big deal, but on $100 of ink that's another matter. Have you guys looked into Flat Rate shipping through USPS? They provide the boxes, which will save you on shipping materials and help keep shipping costs consistent. I'm just a newbie and I can't tell you how helpful your videos have been. :D

Thanks again everyone for your support! I just want to clarify one thing, we are not on the brink of going out of business...it seems that this is the main theme that's getting picked up from my message. This isn't quite the case, it's just that I have seen a trend of things that have happened with retailers that have gone out of business in the past, and I want to make sure that we don't make those same mistakes. Offering too many discounts as a marketing strategy is one thing I've noticed as a trend with those companies, and I was just pointing that out as something I want to avoid. The more important thing to take from my message is that in order to keep offering the level of packing, service, community involvement, and product knowledge/education, we need to be careful about how much we discount. I've actually been answering emails pretty much straight through the weekend with a variety of different views about our decision to expire this coupon, and overall the sentiment has been very positive just like it is here. I'm happy to see such love and support for what we do, it motivates me to want to dedicate myself to the parts of our business that benefit you all the most. Certainly, having a discount is nice when there's nothing to have to sacrifice in order to get it, but I think most everyone understands that discounts and promotions aren't simply free money, there's usually a tradeoff to be had. Since our feeling (which is very much being affirmed here!) is that the services we offer are more valuable than the coupon, at least to most folks, then we will put these things as our top priority. Thanks everyone for being so awesome and supportive. This decision to do this has certainly been one of the hardest of my career, but I wouldn't do it unless I really felt that it would be better for everyone in the long run.

Brian Goulet</br><a href='http://www.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>www.GouletPens.com</a></br><a href='http://twitter.com/GouletPens' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>GouletPens on Twitter</a></br><a href='http://blog.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Goulet Pens blog</a>

It's hard for independent niche sellers to stay in business and I want Goulet's to stay in business for a long, long time. It's hard to find on-line sellers with such great customer service and love for their product. I can see why shipping is no longer free; it's hard to do when you have things like pens and inks. Free shipping on a $100 pen is not a big deal, but on $100 of ink that's another matter. Have you guys looked into Flat Rate shipping through USPS? They provide the boxes, which will save you on shipping materials and help keep shipping costs consistent. I'm just a newbie and I can't tell you how helpful your videos have been. :D

Oh, we're quite familiar with USPS, that's how we ship everything. Trust me, we are constantly investigating all of the different packing/shipping methods to try to keep costs down as much as possible, the fact of life is that it costs to ship things. A lot of online sellers (big and small alike) do free shipping promotions, I've read reports that about half of all online sellers do free shipping deals. But, most people don't ship expensive pens, fragile glass bottles of ink, and easily dented and bent notebooks (let alone, all of these things together!). This creates a unique shipping challenge, and is why we have developed the packing method we have. Believe it or not, we don't actually charge as much for shipping as it costs us, we still take a loss on our shipping costs, not including packing supplies and labor! It's just a hard truth that shipping costs money, and if you're shipping fragile items, it's worth doing it right (at least that's my view).

Brian Goulet</br><a href='http://www.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>www.GouletPens.com</a></br><a href='http://twitter.com/GouletPens' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>GouletPens on Twitter</a></br><a href='http://blog.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Goulet Pens blog</a>

For sure it's worth it to package fragile items correctly, no one wants to get a broken bottle of ink and I certainly wouldn't want to be the shipper who has to try and deliver a package that has a broken bottle of ink in it. :roflmho:

Being new to both FPN and still kind of new to Goulet Pens, I totally missed the discount. And I am totally okay with that :vbg: Every penny I have spent on orders from Goulet Pens, I would again if I had it to do over. Doing business with you guys is truly a pleasure. I want you to be around for a long time too. I appreciate the quality items you offer. And I greatly appreciate all the things I've learned from you. My love for the fountain pen would not have lasted long, nor would it have ever developed the depth it has, but for all the help and knowledge I've gotten from you guys. So...thank you. :thumbup:

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Bzlgij6wT00/UFPXtnF5xJI/AAAAAAAACK8/NBc-ooQMSx4/s1024/inkdrop.jpghttp://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-PBHkCjLM9Ho/UFPX1yKXT9I/AAAAAAAACLE/MXlK_ta_VAQ/s1024/letterexchangeparticipate.pnghttp://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-3DnA74iPaS0/UHPo3XFSzkI/AAAAAAAACLc/dJP3S1n6b-8/s1024/IMAGE_3642FB4B-196A-4EC8-A76F-808218FF3A69.PNG

I too want to jump on the Goulet love train here. I've been purchasing from the Goulets since I got into fountain pens, around this time last year, and the inknouveau blog and fountain of knowledge section on the website were invaluable to me. I researched like mad to determine how one cares for a fountain pen, which one's would be easiest for a newbie to admire, disassemble, and clean, what I should consider when thinking about permanent ink I could use for grading, etc, and the Goulets have been invaluable to me throughout.

Since my first Goulet purchase my modest collection has grown from it's initial starting pen to 13 pens (not counting a large supply of preppies now used mostly for testing) plus enough ink samples to fill a small shoebox, I've attended a pen show, and even took time away from a math conference I was attending to pop out and check out the pen stores in Vienna (it would a shame to miss any awesome pens. And I was able to get a bottle of Pelikan's Tanzanite for 10 euros!). And I cannot thank the Goulets enough for their resources which have helped enable my new addiction.

I will miss the free shipping and the 5% discount, but although they helped me make my early Goulet purchases they won't be what keeps me coming back. The care the Goulets take with every aspect of experience and their useful resources are more than enough to justify my future business.

Thanks for all you do!

Also, this is really just a cue for me to make a large purchase before the end of the week in which I finally acquire a sample of the new 1670 and get myself a few more dotpads, etc. :P

Dear Goulet Pens,

Based on everything you do, everything you offer, and everything you innovate, and how you have shipped and packed my orders,

you have my business for life.

A 5% coupon ending will never change that. Even if you ADDED 5% on top of your current prices, it would simply make me happy to support such a fine company.

Your company is incredible, your staff is incredible, and your hard work and dedication can be seen in everything.

Before I placed my first order, just a month ago, I didn't understand what the fuss was about. Now I do. Now I am yours for life. If you sell it, I buy it from you, even though I live on the opposite side of the globe. End of story.

Dear Goulet Pens:

I've never had anything but great experiences ordering from y'all. I'm happy to keep giving you my business; I appreciated the coupon while it lasted, but it's not the deciding factor. Thank you so much.

Dear Goulet Pens,

Based on everything you do, everything you offer, and everything you innovate, and how you have shipped and packed my orders,

you have my business for life.

A 5% coupon ending will never change that. Even if you ADDED 5% on top of your current prices, it would simply make me happy to support such a fine company.

Your company is incredible, your staff is incredible, and your hard work and dedication can be seen in everything.

Before I placed my first order, just a month ago, I didn't understand what the fuss was about. Now I do. Now I am yours for life. If you sell it, I buy it from you, even though I live on the opposite side of the globe. End of story.

Can't say much more than that! :thumbup: :thumbup:

-Andy

You guys... are.... awesome. Seriously. We cannot thank you enough for all of your support, love, and encouragement. It is what keeps us going. Brian and I (and all the rest of us at Team Goulet) really appreciate all of your kind words.

Hey y'all at Goulet's!

Thanks so much for the 5% discount, which -- as some others pointed out -- did tip me into spending more on pretty much each occasion I've shopped with you. It also made me put in an extra order recently, seeing as how it was going away. Please forgive me, but honestly I have this irrepressible urge to milk a sale - disgraceful, I know - and I promise you'll get full price from me soon. But yeah, the 5% was sweet.

Oh, and thanks for the free shipping, too. I availed myself of that on one occasion that I recall, and it was mightily appreciated too.

But most of all, thank you for being so immensely good at what you do that neither of those things really matter anymore. :)

Maybe - perhaps - and only if you really felt like it - you could do a three-day-only coupon code from time to time here on FPN. But only if you really want to. And if you don't, that's okay too. I still gotta get my crack crystal meth nose candy PENS! Oh, and ink and paper too.

Many blessings to you!

Edited by Daisy

Not really a scribe, more of a Pharisee...

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

-- Fourth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution

I for one, am not going to shop at Goulet pens any more... nor am I going to shop any less. :roflmho: The 5% was nice, but not the deciding factor in my purchase choice. It is the fact that you treat all your customers like family. (or at least the way families should act.) I do make a few purchases from other vendors, but I make at least one purchase from the Goulets every month when my disability check is deposited. (long story.)

I never got enough to get the free shipping, but that is okay, the shipping is not that expensive anyway. I would gladly give up the 5% discount to see my grandchildren shop from you guys and gals.

Thank you very much.

Michael

The RavenLunatic

Semper insanit omnes tempore.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.pnghttp://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I'm very new to fountain pens and didn't know about the coupon. But I did learn about the Goulet company via the FPN site. I ordered some ink samples and was truly amazed at how quickly my order arrived and how well packed everything was. I just ordered some ink bottles and added a note asking if anyone could draw a lab rat. I am a college biology lecturer and have been a lab rat, and my daughter has pet rats.

I was laughing out loud when my package came and I opened it to find this:

http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab37/BioteacherCHE/Goulet%20pen%20invoice%20art/gouletRats.gif

The irony! I spent a good long time back in the late 90's standing in line in a toy store to make sure "Santa" delivered Splinter and April figures to go with the turtles my much younger brother wanted. Each BOX of figures had ONE Splinter or April and the rest were TMN turtles. Eventually, I got my hands on Splinter and April both and Santa's reputation was saved. The drawing if Splinter was just too cool.. the memories came flooding back. I've saved it in a protective sleeve to treasure for a long time to come. That's worth more to me than any coupon.

As chance would have it, I got into a discussion about my Lamy Safari pen with a student on Friday. I ended up printing out Goulet pens website home page, and jotted down the name of the pen I was using for him to have as a reference. Next class? He's getting the bookmark that came with my ink Friday evening.....and I'll probably tell him about Splinter, too.

Goulet Pens needed the coupon when you were brand new. Now that their reputation is well established and respected, it's time to let the coupon go and put that extra money into ensuring the company continues for decades to come.

I'm a college biology lecturer with a medical doctor's handwriting!

http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab37/BioteacherCHE/Goulet%20pen%20invoice%20art/gouletRats.gif

That is an awesome story and the drawing of Splinter is amazing! Way to go Goulet Pens!!!! Thanks for sharing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"The only true wisdom is knowing that you know nothing"-Socrates

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

drscribbler, I'm glad you like that! Drew is our shipping manager, and he and I actually have known each other since 3rd grade. He and I were REALLY into TMNT back in the day, playing many, many hours of pretend on the playground thanks to those turtles in a half-shell ;) Drew's done a lot of great drawings like this, it's something he enjoys doing.

Vignette, I know you've seen how awesome Drew can be! He's been a power metal fan forever, and he even has me listening to them more than the average person does ;) I've heard my share of Rhapsody, Dragonforce, Nightwish, Hammerfall, Epica, Stratovarius... :thumbup:

Edited by GouletPens

I'm just another satisfied customer that wants to say thanks for getting me to try new things with the discount. A 5% discount generally did not amount to much on my invoices, but in my head I used it to rationalize trying some new things. Heck, half the time I forgot to even use the discount. While the discount was nice, it was the great personal service that keeps me coming back and singing your praises. You guys are awesome, thanks for all you do.

Sheaffer Targa - Parker Penman Sapphire----- Luoshi - Silk Road Green

Twsbi - Noodler's North African Violet-----Lamy Vista - Noodler's Marine Green

WTB Lamy Terracotta and Savannah, Sweden LE, Japan LE

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd273/BrownEyedGirl248/Avatars/InkDrop.jpgMember since 1-28-11

While I am still a fan of Goulet Pens and will order from you guys whenever you carry something that the other retailers don't, I might be purchasing a little less overall. That 5% and free shipping was just the type of combo that made my impulse shopping trigger finger that much twitchier. And while the Swab Shop, Nib Nook and all that other stuff is super beneficial to the community and I applaud you for that, I hope you don't forget the value of the dollar to your customers. Think of it as a restaurant with a lot of bells and whistles, nice furniture and a beautiful view, when sometimes you just want to pay for the food and not for the atmosphere. I think there is a balance that can be struck. I am probably in the minority here, but I don't really need video reviews of every single pen that GouletPens carries. The user reviews (a nice, basic feature that doesn't necessarily take more man power for Brian to implement) are more than enough. Just my 2 cents! Much respect.