The Other German Pens

jar

Wonderful pictures and review, Jar. Forgive the simple question, are these piston, cartridge or converter fills? Do all models post with that "click?" I see you mention the Classic is available in Sterling Silver; is it stamped with the customary AG 925 silver identification?

Thanks so much in advance for the answers!

They are all C/C pens. Only the Intuition has the click when posting, the others are screw caps with an end on the body designed to hold the cap when posted. Yes, the Sterling silver Classic is hallmarked but also has two crown rings on the cap.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jar

• stevesurf

• ArchiMark

• beluga

Thanks for the answers, Jar. Is there a big difference in the nibs and quality in the following:

Classic Pernambuco (World Lux image)

http://www.worldlux.com/products/grafvonfaber-castell/_pens/classicpreciouswood/fullsize3.jpg

Intuition Platino Pernambuco (Pensinasia image)

650.jpg

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

Thanks for the answers, Jar. Is there a big difference in the nibs and quality in the following:

There's no quality difference. The Intuition is a wider body and slightly larger nib.

There's no quality difference. The Intuition is a wider body and slightly larger nib.

Great to know as there is over a $300US difference. It seems like the Classic is a nice introduction to the line.

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Paris | Venezia

Great to know as there is over a $300US difference. It seems like the Classic is a nice introduction to the line.

There's a big difference in the feel and personality of the two and the Intuition is a far more complex design, so see if you can fondle them before you decide.

There's a big difference in the feel and personality of the two and the Intuition is a far more complex design, so see if you can fondle them before you decide.

Definetly good advice. I don't own either of these pens but I've handled both, and the Intuition has a much thicker gripping section, so if you like large or oversized pens you'll probably prefere the Intuition. If you prefere thinner pens you'll probably prefere the classic.

Great review as always, jar....and very handsome pens.....

Never seen a GvFC in person...but they always look great and clearly well-make....

Not real clear on their nibs though....how would you describe them in terms of being very rigid or firm versus soft or with some give to them as you write?

Thanks.

:thumbup:

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

Of course the level of quality is not the same, but if you like the Classic and don't want to spend a lot of money, have a close look at the Baoer 519. It will set you back all of $7 delivered from Ebay and it looks virtually the same. I have many fountain pens, including some from the middle priced category such as Duofold Centennials, and my 519 is probably the best writer of all. The look, feel and writing performance are quite amazing...and not just for a very cheap pen.

Great review as always, jar....and very handsome pens.....

Never seen a GvFC in person...but they always look great and clearly well-make....

Not real clear on their nibs though....how would you describe them in terms of being very rigid or firm versus soft or with some give to them as you write?

Thanks.

:thumbup:

Pretty firm.

Hello Jar,

Do you know if the Pen of the Year 2012 is piston operated?

With love,

goldenkrishna

No, I don't know. It could be a captive converter which would make more sense I believe than a full converter.

Well, you were absolutely right Jar; big difference between Classic and Intuition. I was able to find an Intuition Platino Grenadlla in Boston and really like it. It is indeed a unique and complex design, with the push on cap and concealed body threads. Thanks again for your advice!

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Paris | Venezia

Well, you were absolutely right Jar; big difference between Classic and Intuition. I was able to find an Intuition Platino Grenadlla in Boston and really like it. It is indeed a unique and complex design, with the push on cap and concealed body threads. Thanks again for your advice!

Great, but without pictures ...

Absolutely! :happyberet:

Graf%25201.jpg

Graf%25202.jpg

Graf%25203.jpg

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Paris | Venezia

Graf%25201.jpg

Graf%25202.jpg

Graf%25203.jpg

Very, very nice. Congratulations.

Hello Jar,

Do you know if the Pen of the Year 2012 is piston operated?

With love,

goldenkrishna

No, I don't know. It could be a captive converter which would make more sense I believe than a full converter.

Hello jar,

Oh. Thanks anyway.

With love

goldenkrishna

Ik tik

• 2 weeks later...

Tried several Graf Faber Von Castell and they are awesome pens :thumbup: Thanks for the review

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 2 weeks later...

I need to try to get some pictures of my Pernambuco Intuition next to the Terracotta Intuition since the two models are so different. The nib on the wooden Intuitions is so much larger than the resin ones and the body feels so different.

Maybe once the Christmas frenzy is passed and past.

Tried several Graf Faber Von Castell and they are awesome pens :thumbup: Thanks for the review

Georges, what is it that makes you think they are awesome pens?

....design? how they write? etc....

I've only see photos online of GFVC pens (they look very good and well-made in photos...)....so, curious as to makes them so good....

Thanks.

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

I need to try to get some pictures of my Pernambuco Intuition next to the Terracotta Intuition since the two models are so different. The nib on the wooden Intuitions is so much larger than the resin ones and the body feels so different.

Maybe once the Christmas frenzy is passed and past.

I would greatly enjoy seeing them! I am thoroughly enjoying the Intuition and really like that unique construction you described. World Lux had a nice special going on, so I ordered a "regular" Intuition, and what's nicer is my girlfriend is giving it to me for Christmas :) I'm looking forward to comparing the two nibs and their "feel"

Georges, what is it that makes you think they are awesome pens?

....design? how they write? etc....

I've only see photos online of GFVC pens (they look very good and well-made in photos...)....so, curious as to makes them so good....

Thanks.

ArchiMark, it's interesting that you ask this question. The two pens outside of Montblanc I have enjoyed the most have been two that you and Jar have written about, the Delta Momo and GVFC Intuition, respectively. Both entirely different and so unique and pleasant ergonomic writing experience, not to mention their beautiful designs, so thanks to both of you. :thumbup:

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Paris | Venezia