Bexley Any Good?

jrnabors

Wow, I clearly failed to convey my point. Looking on their website Bexley has two models not c/c, this is a fact and not in dispute.

It can be semi-disputed. Gate City pens may not be sold under the Bexley name, but they are made by Bexley using the same parts and materials as Bexley pens, and they even come in a Bexley box. Gate City has syringe-fillers and Dunn pump-fillers (and until just recently bulb-fillers -- I have a New Postal Jr).

I never said other companies had more choices, not sure where you got that from other than your own assumption.

My assumption was that it's not really valid to complain about Bexley when they are doing something better than most other major pen companies. Sheaffer, Parker and Waterman may not be what they used to be, but they are still major players. And there are lots of other smaller companies (let us not forget that Bexley is a smaller company) that don't try to make anything but C/C pens. So, if you want to gripe about Bexley not making enough non-C/C pens, even though many other pen makers (including much bigger ones) don't try to make any non-C/C pens at all... Well, you can do that. But I think it's unfair. It might even call it silly.

As for reasons to buy a Bexley, why when I can get almost the same pen from Kaigelu for a tenth of the price. Will it be as good? No, but the Bexley won't be 10 times as good.

I sense a contradiction here. I don't see how the Kaigelu can be "almost the same pen" and at the same time not as good. I don't see the similarity, aside from them both being styled somewhat like a Duofold. Anyhow... I haven't tried the Kaigelu (it really doesn't interest me), but Chinese pens have been very spotty for me. You really never know what you're going to get or how much tweaking it's going to need to make it work right. The Kaigelu also doesn't come with a choice of nib sizes, and I doubt that it has the whole modular nib-and-feed system that makes the Bexley so easy to maintain and tinker with. And even though I've gotten pretty good service from iSellPens.com, I don't think it's a full-service shoppe in the same mold as Richard Binder or Classic Fountain Pens (nibs.com), who will adjust and customize nibs, etc.

And then there's this from the iSellPens.com website: "This item no longer comes with a box. You can purchase a Kaigelu #316 box for an extra $5.00. The reason for this is the cost of getting them shipped to us and the shipping cost to you as they are heavy." Wow, talk about cheap... Well, it's a bargain pen. If your heart's desire is a bargain pen that looks superficially like a modern Duofold and probably will write okay, then go for it. That's not Bexley's thing, they aren't trying to be Kaigelu.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JustinJ

• mhosea

• Glenn-SC

• tonybelding

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As for reasons to buy a Bexley, why when I can get almost the same pen from Kaigelu for a tenth of the price. Will it be as good? No, but the Bexley won't be 10 times as good.

I sense a contradiction here. I don't see how the Kaigelu can be "almost the same pen" and at the same time not as good. I don't see the similarity, aside from them both being styled somewhat like a Duofold. Anyhow... I haven't tried the Kaigelu (it really doesn't interest me), but Chinese pens have been very spotty for me. You really never know what you're going to get or how much tweaking it's going to need to make it work right. The Kaigelu also doesn't come with a choice of nib sizes, and I doubt that it has the whole modular nib-and-feed system that makes the Bexley so easy to maintain and tinker with. And even though I've gotten pretty good service from iSellPens.com, I don't think it's a full-service shoppe in the same mold as Richard Binder or Classic Fountain Pens (nibs.com), who will adjust and customize nibs, etc.

And then there's this from the iSellPens.com website: "This item no longer comes with a box. You can purchase a Kaigelu #316 box for an extra $5.00. The reason for this is the cost of getting them shipped to us and the shipping cost to you as they are heavy." Wow, talk about cheap... Well, it's a bargain pen. If your heart's desire is a bargain pen that looks superficially like a modern Duofold and probably will write okay, then go for it. That's not Bexley's thing, they aren't trying to be Kaigelu.

For the same "sense of contradiction" why don't you just go buy a Duofold (the pen you claim both Bexley and Kaigelu are imitating)?

My modern Duofolds have written far better than any Bexley I've ever owned; without "adjusted and customized nibs".

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j95/glenn-sc/Oozing.jpg

Edited by Glenn-SC

How much does it add to the cost of the pen to include tuning? When Richard Binder sells a Corona is it a little more expensive than buying it from ebay or some other vendor? Or does he donate his time tuning each pen? Or does tuning each pen really not amount to much extra time and therefore no charge?

A vendor should tune a fountain pen for a customer at no extra cost. This is one of the reasons that I purchase most of my expensive pens from nibs.com . If you are already purchasing a pen over a $100.00, it only seems reasonable for the seller to tune the pen.

Why should someone spend over a $100 dollars on a pen that does not write properly. The manufacturers should adjust the pens properly before they leave the factory. This type of service in any other industry would be the downfall of the product. In essence, you are buying a faulty product that does not work as it should.

Bexley pens are not cheap. One of the reasons that I will not purchase a new pen from Richard is that he charges a setup fee for personal pen tuning. This is poor customer service in my opinion. If he has changed this, then please let me know. If I am spending more than 100.00 on a pen, then I expect it to have the ink flow and writing angle that I use, not Richard's preference. I am not criticizing Richard's work, only pointing out my personal opinion that keeps me from buying pens from him.

There are other sellers that do not even touch the pens. Hence, the cheaper prices on eBay. The pens are not that much cheaper in the end, especially if you have to send the pen off for proper setup and tuning.

I have several all purchases from Richard, and all but 2 are a stub. The stubs are all gold nibs and 2 steel nibbed. The only one that had to be adjusted was my Simplicity. My sunset corona has a fine steel nib and is also very smooth.

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

Bexley pens are not cheap. One of the reasons that I will not purchase a new pen from Richard is that he charges a setup fee for personal pen tuning. This is poor customer service in my opinion. If he has changed this, then please let me know. If I am spending more than 100.00 on a pen, then I expect it to have the ink flow and writing angle that I use, not Richard's preference. I am not criticizing Richard's work, only pointing out my personal opinion that keeps me from buying pens from him.

This is an absolute FALSE statement.... Richard does not charge anything extra to tune a pen before shipment...

HOWEVER, if YOU want a nib to be specially ground to your specifications you will pay extra.... the same as you would from nibs.com

And don't believe for a second that the higher price you pay for a tuned pen from nibs.com does not include the cost of tuning the nib.... that is why John and Richard charge a bit more for Bexley pens than other dealers...

This is an absolute FALSE statement.... Richard does not charge anything extra to tune a pen before shipment...

HOWEVER, if YOU want a nib to be specially ground to your specifications you will pay extra.... the same as you would from nibs.com

And don't believe for a second that the higher price you pay for a tuned pen from nibs.com does not include the cost of tuning the nib.... that is why John and Richard charge a bit more for Bexley pens than other dealers...

I would disagree about nibs.com charging more on some pens. Actually, their price on Nakaya pens is cheaper than other retailers or even Nakaya themselves. You can specify what ink you use, paper and how you write. I have had pens setup for different purposes and not been charged extra. They may charge more for some pens but not all pens. Also, if it is not to your liking they fix it without charging you again. Richard or other nib people may do this also, but I'm not sure.

I am mentioning Richard's site because of Gateway pens and Bexley. For the amount of money that these pens cost, personal pen setup should be part of the current price. The pens should work well for the customer without the extra cost of personal setup.

I may be reading this wrong but this is from Richard's website. It appears that you have to pay extra for flow adjustment, if it is not to their standard. Again, I am not criticizing Richard work, only pointing out what is an issue for me. Please correct me if I am wrong here. I certainly do not want to put out misinformation.

Website information copied below:

Stock Nibs and Specialty Nibs from the NIBARAMA page

Unless otherwise requested at the time of sale, we tune each new pen or nib at no extra charge before shipment. We fill the pen with Waterman Blue-Black ink and write with it Stroke width thumbnail on paper from the same fountain pen friendly pads we sell, adjusting as necessary to bring it up to the RichardsPens.com “factory” standard for smoothness and flow. Our clients have named this procedure “Binderizing.” The result is an adjusted nib, not a customized one.

Different inks or different papers can produce different results. Any special adjustment to accommodate your flow preference or a specific ink or paper comes under the heading of customization, and there will be an additional charge for that work. To evaluate stroke widths that our nibs produce, right-click the image at the left (Macintosh users control-click) to download a stroke width chart in PDF format (for Adobe Reader). The chart is designed to print on U.S. letter-size paper (81/2"×11"), and it should also print well on A4 paper.

Edited by JustinJ

I have several all purchases from Richard, and all but 2 are a stub. The stubs are all gold nibs and 2 steel nibbed. The only one that had to be adjusted was my Simplicity. My sunset corona has a fine steel nib and is also very smooth.

Agreed, any pen I've purchased from Richard wrote perfectly out of the box, I think there needs to be a clear definitions of tuning making a pen write as it should versus customization which should cost more, also if you take your idea of making a "100$ pen write at an angle that you use" well to me that's not out of the box and it becomes customization.

Edited by Pippin60

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

I expect my pens setup at my writing angle. Why should they not, if they are personal tools? Fountain pen sellers are a service industry. Buying a pen is a personal experience, not something like electronics, which is mostly standardized, unless you get into custom work. How many more people would use a fountain pen if it was setup properly the first time?

I was able to get the writing survey page below in a link. As a retailer, why would you not setup the pen to the user's angle and ink flow as part of the pen price? The customer is paying $200.00 for a steel nib pen. I am looking at the steel nib Bexley and Gate City Pens. These services cost extra, which I am arguing here should be part of the pen price not added cost. I am not discussing $50.00 dollar and under pens, but ones that cost closer to 200.00 and above.

Writer Survey Page

Edited by JustinJ

Nibs.com asks what you want in a nib set up. Richardspens.com just sets them up. I'm sure for most users Binder's set up is fine. I like being able to say what set up I want from nibs.com.

As a retailer, why would you not setup the pen to the user's angle and ink flow as part of the pen price?

It's simple matter of margin. You don't know how cheap the vendor can get the pen, so if the customization takes, say, 30 minutes from beginning to end, you need to be compensated for a half hour of skilled labor. If you can't get it plus some additional profit based on your costs (bear in mind that you must cover your overhead as well), then you will have to raise the base price of the pen. This may be why Nibs.com charges $60 more than Richardspens.com for an 18K Corona. In some cases the prices may be essentially determined by minimum advertised pricing agreements, which could be why nibs.com, richardspens.com, gouletpens.com, and isellpens.com all advertise $160 for a Pilot Custom 74. In that case if you can get customization from nibs.com at no extra charge, it is a better deal. Generally, I prefer a competitive base price and an extra charge for customization if I want it (which probably I don't). But even if I did, I don't think it would be that much trouble to ask Richard how much he would charge and then compare apples to apples with a vendor like nibs.com that rolls some things in.

On the question of whether Richard will readjust a nib at no charge, I've sent a couple of nibs back to Richard for readjustment at no charge. As a mathematician, I write with variable delays, and on less absorbent paper a common problem is a delayed start of 1 to 4mm after a 10 to 15 second pause. I don't know whether it's a matter of the nib being too smooth or a little bit of baby's bottom. Richard didn't tell me what the problem was in either case. The nib just came back fixed for my purposes.

Edited by mhosea

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

I do not think that it takes 30 minutes to adjust a nib. If you look at the length of this video, it is about 6 minutes, probably less without explanation. If it took 30 minutes, then I could see the extra cost. I would assume that someone who has done thousands of pens would be even more efficient at the job.

I want to emphasize that I am not telling people not to buy from Richard pens. That is not my purpose. My reply was to Watch Art questions on the setup of a Bexley pen from Richard. I have heard nothing but good things about Richard's work on pens. His pens are checked and setup to his specification, which is better than having a pen sent straight from the manufacturer or a pen seller who does not even check the pens.

For me, I want the pen setup to my writing angle and ink flow as part of the price. I am stating that my main issue is with the extra charge for the setup of the pen, not Richard's skills or person. I hope that this is clear.

My issue is not only with Bexley pens but some other manufacturers. As consumers, we have the right to purchase a pen that works properly out of the box. There should be no other charges, unless there is custom grind on the nib, such as cursive italic, etc...

For me, I want the pen setup to my writing angle and ink flow as part of the price. I am stating that my main issue is with the extra charge for the setup of the pen, not Richard's skills or person. I hope that this is clear.

It is clear, and I think it ought to make you go "hmmm" to see that John charges $60 more than Richard for the same Bexley pen. I just don't see the problem. Furthermore, I just don't need what you need, so I'm sure not going to pay John $60 extra for it, and if Richard were to charge what John charges for the Corona, I'd buy the pen from Todd (which I did anyway in this particular case because I already had an 18k medium nib for it that I bought from Richard, but that's cheating :)). In cases where the price is equal, or a lot closer, and you want a more personalized setup, it sounds like John is the way to go.

I do not think that it takes 30 minutes to adjust a nib. If you look at the length of this video, it is about 6 minutes, probably less without explanation. If it took 30 minutes, then I could see the extra cost. I would assume that someone who has done thousands of pens would be even more efficient at the job.

I don't think it takes 30 minutes, either, because then it would cost a lot more, and you couldn't get a new pen, in stock, sent to you for weeks. It's just a figure I made up to illustrate a point. What you're pointing out here, however, is that this may be the sort of job where a flat rate and not an hourly rate makes sense. After all, John charges $55 to re-grind to an italic, and so if he can do it in 6 minutes and it's an hourly thing, that would make his hourly rate something like $550. Not too shabby!

Anyhoo, I guess I still wouldn't expect it for nothing. There's nothing wrong with wanting something for nothing. Maybe you get it, maybe you don't, but to me expecting it seems wrong.

Edited by mhosea

I have four Bexley 58's and counting. Good writer, just the

right size. All worked well out of box.

Don

Letter writing is the only device for combining

solitude with good company.

Mike,

I should point out that the Bexley Imperial is cheaper at nibs.com than at Richards pens. We could both cherry pick the data but I am not comparing nibs.com pen price to Richard's pen price. I am only pointing out that when purchasing an expensive pen, which is above $150 for me, then the pen should be setup for the user. I do not think my desire is something for nothing. I am already spending $200.00 on a pen. I would not consider this free. I am not only referencing Bexley but other pens.

It would seem that if the nib is already being binderized, then adjusting to the user's writing style would not be more than two minutes more work. If you want to do a cost benefit analysis, then how many more sales would Richard make, if he included a custom setup at his current price? The time spent is less than two minutes.

My point is that extra customer service usually results in people returning or purchasing a pen. Especially, if someone sees extra value in what they are getting.

In the end, it is a free market system and as consumers, we vote with our money. Some people will be happy with standardized service. I expect personalized service, especially when buying personal items.

Edited by JustinJ

The materials used by Bexley are largely the same materials used in Edison pens (in most cases acrylic or ebonite). They aren't cheap injection-molded plastic like a TWSBI for example. The nibs and feed units also come from the same German sources as Edison's, I'm pretty sure. (The feeds aren't ebonite, but they work Just Fine anyhow.) The modular nib system is a big advantage, in my book. It makes cleaning and swapping nibs a snap, and if you like steel nibs (which I generally do), then spare nibs are cheap.

I thought the comparison to the Edison pens was a bit comical myself. As you note, they're often made of the same materials and use the same or very similar nibs and feeds.

However... there is one big difference, and that's that Brian evidently tests every nib to make it sure it writes well, and fixes those that don't. My only complaint about the two Bexley pens I own is that they wrote poorly out of the box. (This is true of many brands of pens, so it's not just Bexley.)

The fix is to buy a Bexley from Richard Binder. (There may be other vendors that are as good, but I've had personal experience with nibs that have been "Binderized" and can recommend them.) You could also work on the nib yourself if you have that skill.

Both Howard and Brian make very good pens. I think they're as good or better than anything else on the market. In addition, they're made in the US, which will please a lot of people. (I wish we still had a nib maker in the US though.)

It would seem that if the nib is already being binderized, then adjusting to the user's writing style would not be more than two minutes more work. If you want to do a cost benefit analysis, then how many more sales would Richard make, if he included a custom setup at his current price? The time spent is less than two minutes.

Binderized nibs can be done one right after the other, and then can sit on the shelf until someone buys them. Personalized nibs require extra attention, and I'd bet they add a significant amount of time to the process. I'm sorry that you don't see this and therefore trivialize the process.

I also feel that the prices he charges are quite fair. He's an honorable businessman.

In the end, it is a free market system and as consumers, we vote with our money. Some people will be happy with standardized service. I expect personalized service, especially when buying personal items.

A binderized nib is personalized. Richard personally makes sure that your nib will write well. :)

Anyhoo, I guess I still wouldn't expect it for nothing. There's nothing wrong with wanting something for nothing. Maybe you get it, maybe you don't, but to me expecting it seems wrong.

Agreed. :thumbup: It'd be certainly wonderful if I could have each and every nib personalised before it arrives at my door, but I certainly wouldn't begrudge a retailer that charges for the service as nib grinding seems like a rather scarce skill set amongst retailers. In Australia at least, the number of pen retailers that are simultaneously nib grinders (as far as I can recall) is a big, fat zero, so I've never had the expectation of nib adjustment when buying a fountain pen as it was just an impossibility.

Edited by dali3464
http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I don 't know where you live, but I would suggest you go to a pen show where Richard is doing nibs and see how much time it actually takes to adjust a nib to a person's writing style....

I can assure you it is not 2 minutes or less....

You obviously have no idea of what is involved or the years of learning that went into being able to that work....

Your concept of what goes into nib work is so out of whack it is almost ludicrous

I should point out that the Bexley Imperial is cheaper at nibs.com than at Richards pens.

The Imperial is $81 more expensive at nibs.com. I think you must have compared the acrylic Imperial International on one site to the ebonite Imperial on the other. Anyway, it wasn't my intention to cherry-pick. I bought a Corona recently, and I was researching that particular pen, not conducting a survey of prices. That's the only reason I knew about that price difference.