Wooden Test Tube Rack Pen Stand

rvisser

I am new to the Network, so pardon my ignorance if someone has already discussed this idea. For practical desktop use, why not use a test tube rack? The wooden test tube rack I feature here comes in two capacities: six and twelve holes. The drying pins on the front make good holders for pen caps when the caps are not posted. These racks are inexpensive (The six hole rack is US$9.95) and available through Amazon from Lake Charles Manufacturing. I use this rack when taking close reading notes, which can be quite detailed, requiring four ink colors and a variety of nib types. This is my stable of work-horses. Note that my two Rotring Art Pens fit easily into a single 25mm hole. Except for its larger capacity, the twelve tube rack is the same in every way.

post-89530-0-05721600-1345164578.jpg

"It is blindly, with no project, that those who dare all advance." --Luce Irigaray

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rvisser

• alexander_k

• LisaN

• da vinci

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:W2FPN:

That test tube holder definetly looks like a good pen rack. An excellent solution: cheap, practical, and aesthetically pleasing. I believe the idea of using test tube racks this way has been discussed in various threads about storing and displaying pens, but I don't recall having seen any other threads dedicated to the idea.

:W2FPN:

That test tube holder definetly looks like a good pen rack. An excellent solution: cheap, practical, and aesthetically pleasing. I believe the idea of using test tube racks this way has been discussed in various threads about storing and displaying pens, but I don't recall having seen any other threads dedicated to the idea.

Thanks. I appreciate your feedback. It is working out very well for me.

"It is blindly, with no project, that those who dare all advance." --Luce Irigaray

Oooh, That's very nice.

But I could not use one at work because they would think that I had stolen it from the teaching labs.

Sometimes the cat needs a new cat toy. And sometimes I need a new pen.

I've been using a couple similar to yours for a few years now and I like them a lot. Initially I had one for filling and servicing eyedropper pens but I came to the same conclusion: they're better than wallets in terms of easy access and don't allow pens to knock on each other (as in a mug). The only disadvantage I've noticed so far is that the lower end of a pen may slide out of the rack when the rack is moved. I've just managed to catch a Nakaya before it slid to the floor.

what brand of notebook is that in your pic?

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it.

The Notebook: M by Staples™ Business Notebooks, Coilbound, 8-1/2" x 11"Item: 803211 Model: 36954Of thousands of notebooks available in this small town, this is among the very few that work well for me.

best wishes, r

I've been using a couple similar to yours for a few years now and I like them a lot. Initially I had one for filling and servicing eyedropper pens but I came to the same conclusion: they're better than wallets in terms of easy access and don't allow pens to knock on each other (as in a mug). The only disadvantage I've noticed so far is that the lower end of a pen may slide out of the rack when the rack is moved. I've just managed to catch a Nakaya before it slid to the floor.

Thanks much for your kind reply. Yes, they may bump out when the rack is moved, but I use the rack as a stationary pen station and only for my desk pens. When these pens move, the rack stays. Like you, I use a wallet for pen transit.

best, r

:eureka:

Very clever!

Thanks, it really does work well . . . especially when topping up inks: both the barrel and cap hold nicely on the pegs while I refill.

best, r

Cool idea :thumbup:

Thanks, it really is very nice wood. The only thing I don't like are the red plastic caps that hide the screws . . . I will probably treat these in some way, or replace them. If they were wood, like the dark wood below them, this would be an exceptional piece. They are nicely finished for the price, though the pegs are a bit rough. Again, a little attention to these would make a difference.

thanks again, r

Oooh, That's very nice.

But I could not use one at work because they would think that I had stolen it from the teaching labs.

Let not the dark clouds of impropriety gather on your horizon. - best, rv

Edited by rvisser

Excellent heads up, thank you!

You are most welcome! I appreciate your response. The rack is a simple solution that can also be a snappy conversation piece.

best, r

Oooh, That's very nice.

The clear ones made for holding brushes are neat as well.

The Container Store, Sephora and Ulta have some, below is the example from The Container Store.

Container store plastic round bottome brush or pen holders

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

My rack arrived Friday. Amazon's price is nice. Got it sitting on my computer desk table, along with my antique ink well for my dip pen. Thanks for such a creative idea.

My rack arrived Friday. Amazon's price is nice. Got it sitting on my computer desk table, along with my antique ink well for my dip pen. Thanks for such a creative idea.

I'm glad you like it. The pegs are perfect for storing caps. Very handy!

Best wishes to you, rv

Funny thing: I was thinking about the same thing. Get a full set of Airmail/Wality or Serwex eyedroppers with barrels which look like test tubes, fill them with inks to match cap colours, then you have a display of magical potions :thumbup:

... but then I guess a somewhat more goth/steampunk rack might be in order too.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

• 2 years later...

I just ordered the 12 tube version of this rack. The Amazon price is quite reasonable and the rack has good reviews. I doubt the red plastic caps will bother me much, but wooden ones would have been nicer. I wish I could have only the 6 tube rack, but I'm too fickle to manage less than a dozen inked pens at a time.

I've been considering the tall acrylic "Waterfall" style racks as well, but I expect that I will like the wood better.