33 replies to this topic

#1 StyloBug33

StyloBug33

Paper Junkie

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:36

This is going to be a rather quick review. I just got this pen a few days ago and am really enjoying it. I have gotten tons of compliments on how beautiful it is, even though it is not overly expensive. I decided to buy it because I needed some notebooks from Goulet Pens and wanted the free shipping. I know, I spent $100 to save $7. That is my special pen-collecting expenditure algorithm. It works well for me :)

The pen looks like a piston filler, but it is a cartridge/converter. The material it is made out of is gorgeous. I tried to take some decent photos of it with my iPhone. I am hopefully getting a new camera for my birthday.

It is a nice size, similar to the MB 146. It has a steal nib that writes very well. It doesn't have any flex to it, but I like that. It is smooth and has good, consistent flow.

My pen is "red," although there are many other colors in it as well. It also comes in blue and ivory.

Resized to 90% (was 640 x 480) - Click image to enlargePosted Image

God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.
-Bill Waterson

#2 jandrese

jandrese

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:54

Thanks for sharing. These are better than their price would suggest. Although I have many great pens I am considering this one.

#3 i.like.whiskey

i.like.whiskey

Served neat always preferred.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:15

That is my special pen-collecting expenditure algorithm. It works well for me.

Yes! Right there with you. :thumbup:

Edited by i.like.whiskey, 16 August 2012 - 05:16.

"Friendship. Character. Ethics." - Miller's Crossing

#4 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,285 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:25

looks very nice thanks for sharing :thumbup: too bad it ain't a piston filler
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time
Posted Image

#5 avlisyar

avlisyar

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:12

I purchased the Red Napa from Fountain Pen Hospital
with a Stub Nib some 2 months ago. It has slowly
become one of my pens that is always inked. The
Stub is approximately a 1.1 and delivers a smooth,
wet line consistently.

#6 Esterfella

Esterfella

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:55

As a brand, Monteverde has never grabbed my attention but I really like your pen. Thanks for sharing. This may merit a closer look.

#7 goldiesdad

goldiesdad

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:19

Great pics thanks for your review ...

#8 dannzeman

dannzeman

flex nib fanatic

• Member - Gold

• 1,378 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 16:26

Oh, wow, I didn't realize the barrel was as transparent as it is your photo, well, half the barrel anyway. Thanks for the quick shots.

#9 vondauster

vondauster

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 August 2012 - 16:37

Very nice looking pen. Just curious, where are Monteverde pens manufactured? I notice the barrel says Monteverde USA.

Will
-----------------

Will von Dauster

#10 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,466 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 August 2012 - 16:41

Nice review, thanks.

#11 raging.dragon

raging.dragon

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,983 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 August 2012 - 18:47

Very nice looking pen. Just curious, where are Monteverde pens manufactured? I notice the barrel says Monteverde USA.

Will

Monteverde are US based (I believe they're Yafa's "store" brand); however, I have no idea who actually manufactures the pens nor where.

#12 His Nibs

His Nibs

Dylan rules!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:55

Here are the three 'colors'. :rolleyes:

Posted Image

Each pen is unique, but the red tends to have the most transparent cap in places.

Although I haven't done it yet myself, it's a model that's begging for a little silicone grease to turn it into an eyedropper! :thumbup:
Regards,

Norman Haase
His Nibs.com
www.hisnibs.com
Blog: http://hisnibs.blogspot.com

#13 Esterfella

Esterfella

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:07

Does that blue one have red or orange in it? Very attractive.

#14 His Nibs

His Nibs

Dylan rules!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:15

Does that blue one have red or orange in it? Very attractive.

I'd say they tend to be a brownish-orange. Perhaps these photos give a clearer impression of the colors in the blue:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Regards,

Norman
Regards,

Norman Haase
His Nibs.com
www.hisnibs.com

#15 Esterfella

Esterfella

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:23

I don't own a Monteverde. What's their signature model? I like the blue napa and the black nibbed stealth carbon fiber one too.

#16 His Nibs

His Nibs

Dylan rules!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:40

I don't own a Monteverde. What's their signature model? I like the blue napa and the black nibbed stealth carbon fiber one too.

There's no 'official' signature model, but the Invincia line has really become the de facto flagship model, as there have been many versions over the past decade or so. Many have been retired, but new ones being brought out, such as the Stylus versions (for dual use with a capacitive touchscreen):

Posted Image

I don't want to make this an advertisement :headsmack: , but if you visit my website sometime, also take a look at the Regatta (with a magnetic cap for posting and closing) as well as the Prima, in many different patterns. All are available with F, M or B nibs (although I rate these as closer to typical western x-fine, fine and medium in size), and the wonderful 1.1 mm stub nib -- which took me about 3 years of constant cajoling and sending of samples to YAFA to convince them to produce, for both Monteverde and Conklin pens. :thumbup:
Regards,

Norman Haase
His Nibs.com
www.hisnibs.com

#17 nightwing

nightwing

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 August 2012 - 18:28

Thanks for the review, StyloBug33 - great photographs as well!

Although I haven't done it yet myself, it's a model that's begging for a little silicone grease to turn it into an eyedropper! :thumbup:

Interesting - so, the metal rings on the barrel are only on the surface, not on the inside?

Edited by nightwing, 18 August 2012 - 18:31.

#18 His Nibs

His Nibs

Dylan rules!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 20:33

Thanks for the review, StyloBug33 - great photographs as well!

Interesting - so, the metal rings on the barrel are only on the surface, not on the inside?

As far as I can tell, the rings are positioned on the outside only, at the join of the barrel material and the ink window.
Regards,

Norman Haase
His Nibs.com
www.hisnibs.com

#19 hardyb

hardyb

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,245 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 August 2012 - 21:11

I picked up the Napa in cream with a 1.1 stub. Great pen and the stub nib is reputed to be one of the best on the current market. I picked up a Conkin at the Atlanta show in ivory with red gold furnishings and it had the same 1.1 on it too.
The Danitrio Fellowship

#20 Kyouju

Kyouju

Otter

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 21:33

Lovely photos, StyloBug33.

And to His Nibs or anyone else contemplating its conversion to eyedropper: Please do try it and report back to us if it works well in eyedropper mode. I have a fancy to see that reddish one looking as though it has been topped up with some Vin Gris.

#21 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,484 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:16

interesting looking pen. i'd like to see it in person before i decide if i like it -this makes sense in my head. i favor the ivory!

thx for the review!
Lovemy51 Posted Image

pleese, forgeeve my bad espelling!! Posted Image

#22 GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 August 2012 - 14:52

Great pictures! I normally delete the Goulet Communique but opened it up this time and saw these...one red and one blue, please! Those are gorgeous.

#23 ninobrn99

ninobrn99

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:37

As soon as I saw this pen, eyedropper was my first thought. Hope someone posts up after they've done it.

Nino

#24 ninobrn99

ninobrn99

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:38

After thoroughly inspecting the pen today at Dromgoole's since the Yafa rep was there, I think the pen will be fine as an eye dropper. I filled it with water and let it sit on a paper towel for a little bit and even with no silicone, it didn't leak. If I already owned the pen, I would've used silicone and ink. If I can figure out how to pull the nib, I may just get this pen!

Nino

#25 cbaytan

cbaytan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:29

Sorry for resurrecting the subject but how could be Napa an eyedropper? Barrel looks like made of two pieces due circle metal strip at the end. Or is it still one piece?

Edited by cbaytan, 19 May 2013 - 09:37.

One boring blue, one boring black 1mm thickness at most.... 

Then there are Fountain Pens with gorgeous permanent inks..

#26 brgmarketing

brgmarketing

Transition Coach

• Member - Gold

• 1,382 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2013 - 14:25

Monteverde has a wide range of pens and they seem to constantly be working on new ideas.

Although not all of them interest me it's nice to see a company out there moving beyond the traditional pens approaches.

When you can, please share mopre of your writing experiences about the pen.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

#27 GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 May 2013 - 13:08

I recently purchased a red with a Medium nib.  So far it's pretty nice, a little scratchy and dry however.  I'll see if it gets better after being cleaned out again.

It's a bit larger (especially fatter) than I expected.  Also, the clip is super tight, even with the roller!  It's still a nice pen though, I'm thinking of picking up a blue as well.

Interesting idea, turning it into an eyedropper.  I would think that would work well.  If I have a chance I'll see if I can give it a shot.

#28 acolythe

acolythe

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:43

I hate to be the only dissenter here. I love the stub nib. The pen I wanted to buy in red. When I saw it in person I felt that the plastic looked cheap. The color and design are great. For me I think its the clear sections. At any rate I'd advise anyone who wants to buy one to see it in the "flesh" first

#29 cbaytan

cbaytan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:08

Ordered one, it's true with celluloid look Napa model is not very stylish to me either, but how it writes "in the flesh" matters to me.. I expect it writes like Invincia Stylus + it has an ink window and eyedropper possibility. Since both pens share same nib + feed and converter I hope I'll be content. If I were behind the look, I'd try to get say a Sailor 1911 look alike pen with ink window.

I hate to be the only dissenter here. I love the stub nib. The pen I wanted to buy in red. When I saw it in person I felt that the plastic looked cheap. The color and design are great. For me I think its the clear sections. At any rate I'd advise anyone who wants to buy one to see it in the "flesh" first

One boring blue, one boring black 1mm thickness at most.... 

Then there are Fountain Pens with gorgeous permanent inks..

#30 garthmorgan

garthmorgan

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:21

I just purchased a Napa this morning and have converted it to an eyedropper! Looks and works great. See pics...

IMG_3591.jpg

IMG_3586.jpg

IMG_3590.jpg