#31 Wheatflower

Wheatflower

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2012 - 18:10

Amazing. I am informed and impressed. Thank you!

I reckon this thread will eventually show up high in the Google search results for this pen.

My (very scanty) knowledge on the topic says that this can be hastened if those of us with blogs or online journals post links to it. I know I intend to do so!
Fountain Pens: Still cheaper than playing Warhammer 40K

#32 Pfhorrest

Pfhorrest

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 18:58

This is the best article I have read in a very long time.
The sword is mightier than the pen. However, swords are now obsolete whereas pens are not.

-Unknown

#33 dcpritch

dcpritch

Uff da

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 19:36

Thanks Brandon for an invaluable contribution. Awesome review, great research, well written and nicely presented. As an owner of a first generation Lamy 2000, I can say I love the pen even more now that I've read your review! :thumbup:
How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

#34 bphollin

bphollin

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,266 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2012 - 21:13

By the way, to add to this review's completeness, the 2000 had a pen stand, the Lamy HW69, an acrylic cube that holds two Lamy 2000 pens and giving the illusion that you've placed them frozen in an ice cube. These are really rare now.

If I recall correctly, there is also a black and steel version, as well.

#35 Silvermink

Silvermink

Texture Junkie

• Admin Tech.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,501 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2012 - 22:44

Very interesting read. Thanks for putting so much work into it.

I've been thinking of getting a 2000M, but would like to handle one first. I think Bruce-YVR will be getting one, though, so that'll give me the opportunity.
http://twitter.com/silvermink
Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Pilot Elite 95S - M - Pilot Iroshizuku Kiri-same // Parker 21 Super - M - Noodler's Widowmaker // Stipula Modello T FPN LE - Conway Stewart Kingsand // Parker Duofold (Canadian) - F - Diamine Meadow // Delta Via Veneto Doué Elegance - M - Conway Stewart Kingsand

#36 raging.dragon

raging.dragon

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,991 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2012 - 23:04

Seriously amazing work.

Now, if only there was a Lamy forum where this could be pinned...Oh wait, there is.

If you're going to put this on FP geeks, I think it deserves to be a full fledged article, or series of articles!

Edited by raging.dragon, 13 August 2012 - 23:04.

#37 beluga

beluga

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:32

What a review!
Like the Lamy 2000, this review raises the bar and becomes the benchmark of what other reviews will be measured by.

Makes me want to reach for one of my Lamy 2000s and start writing.....

#38 ddustinn

ddustinn

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:50

Wow. This is a humbling review.

Research is fun when you're actually researching something you love.

I did want to point out though, there are a few typos in Part 5, specifically in the quote from the Lamy booklet for the Edition 2000.

We are (or should be) grateful to have people like you in our community who simply love collecting information and thinking and analyzing critically, not because you have to, but just for the sake of scholarship itself. My proverbial hat is off to you, my friend.
"While you are proclaiming peace with your lips, be careful to have it even more fully in your heart."
- St. Francis of Assisi
"Don't play what's there. Play what's not there."
-Miles Davis
I will gladly take your unwanted Noodler's pens. Don't throw them away.

Assume no affiliation.

#39 matveik

matveik

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:05

This was a pleasure to read. What a terrific piece of work.

#40 amk

amk

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2012 - 14:56

Superb work! We always say 'Oh Lamy - very Bauhaus, very modernist', but very few of us could quote sources the way you do here. And the comparison with Braun designs was new to me. (I wonder if anyone's done a Moholy-Nagy source compendium for the P51 - another Bauhaus link?)

Of course you've got me in trouble now as I realise there are even more variations of the wonderful Lamy 2000 out there. I personally like the Taxus a lot - I don't usually like wood pens, but the combination of warm wood colour and classical cool lines is one that I find very appealing.

#41 NedC

NedC

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 846 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2012 - 16:25

Thanks, terrific article!

#42 Moynihan

Moynihan

Mostly Harmless

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 18:46

Excellent ! Zowwy, you did alot of work. The 2000 is one of my favorite users Much appreciated. :notworthy1:

Addendum:
Thank you for the section on the bauhaus/Lamy/Braun etc. Really adds to the knowledge base and my enjoyment of the article, and my pen. Reminds me of my reading about Henry Dreyfus designs (Skyliner FP, Waring blender, the Bell rotary desk phone, Yellow Cab, 20th Century limited Pan Am flying boat (interior)etc.) :thumbup:

Edited by Moynihan, 14 August 2012 - 21:18.

May I have the ability to reduce the uncertainties I can, the willingness to work with the uncertainties I cannot, and the scientific knowledge to know the difference. (Based upon an adaptation from Reinhold Niebuhr's Serenity Prayer, by Joe Barsugli, Chris Anderson, Joel Smith and Jason Vogel www.wucaonline.org )

#43 alexander_k

alexander_k

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 954 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 19:24

Great work, very comprehensive - worthy of the best encyclopaedia.

#44 raging.dragon

raging.dragon

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,991 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2012 - 20:39

Superb work! We always say 'Oh Lamy - very Bauhaus, very modernist', but very few of us could quote sources the way you do here. And the comparison with Braun designs was new to me. (I wonder if anyone's done a Moholy-Nagy source compendium for the P51 - another Bauhaus link?)

Of course you've got me in trouble now as I realise there are even more variations of the wonderful Lamy 2000 out there. I personally like the Taxus a lot - I don't usually like wood pens, but the combination of warm wood colour and classical cool lines is one that I find very appealing.

I've always liked the Bauhaus, Art Deco, or Mid-Century Modern styles executed in or combined with wood. For example, a photo I recall of chrome and black leather furniture in log home. The modern style can be cold and impersonal, using wood gives it a touch warmth.

#45 coffeetoofull

coffeetoofull

coffeetoofull

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:25

That is a truly amazing review! Congratulations on all the hard work. I was about to provide a review on the 2000 ballpoint, pencil, and fountain pen but I doubt if I can find much to add. I'll need to reread this again.
Best Writings To You, coffeetoofull
nunquam sine libris

#46 bphollin

bphollin

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,266 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:32

Hush, you! The value of FPN is our diversity of opinions and approaches. We don't have nearly enough on the 2000 family; of the Lamy 2000 threads on this site, very few are on non-FP models. I, for one, would love to read what you have to say on the BP, MP, and FP.

#47 humsin

humsin

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,075 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:29

Because of your article I blasted $253.25 on 2 Lamy 2000s!!!!!!
The pen I write with, is the pen I use to sign my name.

#48 coffeetoofull

coffeetoofull

coffeetoofull

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 August 2012 - 14:24

That is a truly amazing review! Congratulations on all the hard work. I was about to provide a review on the 2000 ballpoint, pencil, and fountain pen but I doubt if I can find much to add. I'll need to reread this again.

I placed a review on the Lamy L2k Ballpoint Pen and Mechanical Pencil which I hope you enjoy. Your post and kind thoughts were an inspiration.
nunquam sine libris

#49 bphollin

bphollin

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,266 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2012 - 00:21

Thank you again for your very kind feedback and for validating my geekdom. So far no tl;dr posts!

Here's an outtake from the photo shoot, in the spirit of goodguy and Zuzik's reviews of the MB Writer's Series (this is for you, p2p). Smudge likes the 2000M!

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm now somewhat distraught to find that not all Lamys are perfect. I confess I was ignorant to "all the complaints" about the 2000 nibs. Aargh, will the search for the perfect pen never end??

We are all imperfect vessels, even the venerable Lamy 2000, alas!

Great work, very comprehensive - worthy of the best encyclopaedia.

:embarrassed_smile:

I've been thinking of getting a 2000M, but would like to handle one first. I think Bruce-YVR will be getting one, though, so that'll give me the opportunity.

You should do! By the way, you were one of the early 2000 recommenders when I first joined a few years back, so thanks for that. :thumbup:

I did want to point out though, there are a few typos in Part 5, specifically in the quote from the Lamy booklet for the Edition 2000.

:gaah: Darn! My mother is a quilter, and she says real quilters intentionally put in a mistake to stave off a real error. Let's just pretend that's what I was going for here. Thanks for pointing it out all the same. :thumbup:

(I wonder if anyone's done a Moholy-Nagy source compendium for the P51 - another Bauhaus link?)

Uh-oh. Not another article idea.

Thank you for the section on the bauhaus/Lamy/Braun etc. Really adds to the knowledge base and my enjoyment of the article, and my pen. Reminds me of my reading about Henry Dreyfus designs (Skyliner FP, Waring blender, the Bell rotary desk phone, Yellow Cab, 20th Century limited Pan Am flying boat (interior)etc.) :thumbup:

Yes, this was really fun to research. As I mentioned above, I'm a big fan of Müller and really enjoyed trying to fit the pieces together on him and his influence. I'm just waiting for a real design authority to come in and rip me to shreds, though.

Because of your article I blasted $253.25 on 2 Lamy 2000s!!!!!!

I saw nothing. I know nothing!

Edited by bphollin, 17 August 2012 - 00:22.

#50 tomgartin

tomgartin

I'm not the big Lebowski.

• Member - Gold

• 951 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2012 - 00:39

Wowee! Top-notch research! I'm still on the fence with the design of the 2000 but I have a new appreciation for it all thanks to all your hard work. Thank you!

- - -

#51 david1600

david1600

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:43

great review

#52 mana

mana

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 13:11

What a wonderful and thorough review, thanks! :)

Btw. one typo though, Kandinsky misses an 'i' (Kandnsky).
...now is the only thing that is real...

"Design is how it works"
Steve Jobs

#53 zuku

zuku

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 14:07

What a well reserached, well written review. So good one even thinks it was too short!

A Fountain Pen is never just a Fountain Pen.

#54 halidak

halidak

El - Fakir

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2012 - 13:45

I’ve never been into Lamy design that much to get one and only recently I’ve brought myself to order a Lamy Studio. I’m still unsure about Lamy 2000, though.
Nevertheless, I very much enjoyed reading your well-put and thorough write-up. Excellent work. :clap1:

Regards,

Halid

Signature_Istanbul_02_A.jpgSignature_Istanbul_02_B.jpg

#55 varkey

varkey

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2012 - 14:21

Do advice on cleaning and ink filling of the Lamy Safari and the Al Star Fountain pens !

#56 Abhik

Abhik

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2012 - 15:00

This review is remarkable with design insights,especially comparison to Braun designs, inclusion of dissembling video, loads of photos of each part! Wonderful.
Truly a milestone in review section. A approach!
Congratulations!
Abhik

#57 majorworks

majorworks

Paperback Writer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2012 - 20:58

What a great resource for us L2K owners! Thank you so much for a wonderful read.

Can this thread be pinned in the Lamy sub-forum? (oops... uh, never mind)
Happiness is an Indian ED!

#58 dannzeman

dannzeman

flex nib fanatic

• Member - Gold

• 1,378 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 20:59

Can this thread be pinned in the Lamy sub-forum? (oops... uh, never mind)

It is. You're just not looking in the right spot.

#59 Sagar_C

Sagar_C

Animalia Chordata Mammalia Primates Hominidae Homo S. Sapiens

• Member - Gold

• 1,048 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2012 - 20:25

How could anyone even think of writing such a review!!!.... :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1:

Today following the link in the review, I completely disassembled my Lamy 2000 and assembled it again by just using my fingers!!! I do not understand why is there much fuss about TWSBI 540 being easy-to-disassemble pen. That said, of course, I like TWSBI too.

#60 Inked

Inked

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 August 2012 - 16:33

Exhaustive and captivating!

Thank you so much!

Lamy was my first, all those years ago, and looking back, the Bauhaus design is what attracted me to it. After owning several models I settled on the Persona as the keeper.

Wait, there is all those limited edition 2000 bps and the 2000 ball desk set still hanging around.

Inked