Dearest Friends and Visitors of the Fountain Pen Network,
We have started implementing the changes we promised here: Upcoming Changes To FPN
Please do read the linked message above.

Photo

De Atramentis Golf Green

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Signum1

Signum1

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2012 - 19:40

Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Jadie

Jadie

Picky Pen Princess

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2012 - 19:46

Seeing this ink in conjunction with your handwriting makes me think of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight.

Hmm...I was envisioning astro-turf green when I read the name of the color. This is far darker than I expected--more Robin Hood than mini-golf green. Any reasons behind the name? (Does De Atramentis make a line of "sport-themed" inks that I don't know about? XD)

Anyways, nice review and thanks for sharing!

Sheen junkie, flex nib enthusiast, and all-around lover of fountain pens...

#3 Ad_Astra

Ad_Astra

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 August 2012 - 00:21

(Does De Atramentis make a line of "sport-themed" inks that I don't know about? XD)

Oh yes they do! Here you go. :)

Great review as always, even if the color doesn't appeal to me that much. :thumbup:
Non est ad astra mollis e terris via. - Seneca

#4 Jadie

Jadie

Picky Pen Princess

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:21

You're kidding me! That's great. XD

Sheen junkie, flex nib enthusiast, and all-around lover of fountain pens...

#5 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,466 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 August 2012 - 17:11

Is there a scent? Nice review but the color doesn't grab me either.

#6 Signum1

Signum1

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 August 2012 - 20:35

This was a sample ink. The Toronto Pen Club let me borrow the whole bottle and ask that write up an ink review. Personally, I like the Noodler's Gruene Cactus Eel and Noodler's Forest Green. I like the shade of this Golf Green. However, the deal breaker is that the Golf Green is not water resistant. Of course, rubbing a bit of white candle wax can solve that problem.

There is a scent, more like dish detergent than freshly cut grass.

Posted Image

#7 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,361 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 19:46

Don't know about the astro turf of mini-golf, but I've seen greens when it's a bit dry like that.

I do like shading inks. And I guess I need green shading ink.

I do not collect shower inks, and don't live in Seattle, so I don't need permanent ink.

Due to Mauricio's improved definition of Super-flex, I no longer use the term Easy Full Flex.

Semi-flex is an “almost” flex; not a ‘flex’ nib. It is great for regular writing with a touch of flair. It can give you some fancy; but it is not made for real fancy writing. For bit more of that get a 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex. Both spread tines 3X.  Those are not "Flex" nibs. 

Odd, how many who should know better, compares Japanese F (which equals EF), with Western F, with out a second thought, but do not compare Japanese B with Western B.

Wider than Normal does not exist. Wider than Japanese does. Every company has it's very own standard + slop/tolerance. Developed from the users of it's pens only; not the users of other companies pens. The size you grind a nib to, is your standard only. Paper and ink matter to nib width. Thank god for 1/2 sizes or it would be boring.

#8 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 13,361 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 16:29

It's not an ink that one wants to do a lot of comparing with...it is on the border of murky.
It is not 'icki; Lamy Green looks better..(It doesn't, believe me it doesn't..except on one piece of paper. :rolleyes: )...which I wrote with my first impression.
I don't have a scanner, they never did what I wanted them to do way back when...still don't.

It is unfair to compare a light ink with a vivid one, or a dark one with a light one. But we compare any way...what I like don't mean you will like it too. Some folks just love dark green inks. I have to free up a pen, with a regular flex M, I need to bring out the King of Green; MB Winter Forest and run it through the 13 papers too.

I just ran a 13 paper, two pen test: a P-45 regular flex M, and a Lamy CPM-1 B nail, for the DA Golf.

Even though I go out of my way for shading, and often the B nib gave more 'shading' than the M nib, there was a lack of tone...making it more a gray paled green in B than a verging on murky green that the somewhat less shading M nib had.

6 other inks were tested.
Pelikan Brilliant Green in a semi-flex F, which walked all over Pelikan Aventurine, R& K Verdura in a dry semi-flex F, also walked over Edelstein, was #1. DA Mossgreen in a EF regular flex nib needed a M nib to play with the big boys...but did well; Patting Edelstein on the head. I'd expected Moss like in Racing Green and got spring time moss. :blink:
Diamine Meadow Green in a BB, and Lamy Green in a Safari M, fought it out for last palace.

I wrote my notes for the grading with DA Golf in a P-45 regular flex M.
Alone on a page it looks much better than when it was tested against more vivid greens.

It is a soft green that shades well. I wrote my notes on M&K 95 g paper with watermark.
I am glad I used it on fair paper for the notes, instead of one of the other greens.
I don't know if I'll buy this ink again, but it was worth buying in once.
A few years ago, I'd never bought a murky green ink, now I have two...and one on the border.

I found my paper...or like grail pens, grail papers are also only grail until you get it.
Gmund Blanc Beige 170g or 120 g, in Beige or Creme, will have to look and see what sort of white and ivory and so on they have.
DA Golf looks a tad better with the 120 g Gmund Blanc Beige.
Perhaps white paper would be better for the ink.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson, 15 April 2013 - 16:30.

Due to Mauricio's improved definition of Super-flex, I no longer use the term Easy Full Flex.

Semi-flex is an “almost” flex; not a ‘flex’ nib. It is great for regular writing with a touch of flair. It can give you some fancy; but it is not made for real fancy writing. For bit more of that get a 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex. Both spread tines 3X.  Those are not "Flex" nibs. 

Odd, how many who should know better, compares Japanese F (which equals EF), with Western F, with out a second thought, but do not compare Japanese B with Western B.

Wider than Normal does not exist. Wider than Japanese does. Every company has it's very own standard + slop/tolerance. Developed from the users of it's pens only; not the users of other companies pens. The size you grind a nib to, is your standard only. Paper and ink matter to nib width. Thank god for 1/2 sizes or it would be boring.

#9 revbyrd1

revbyrd1

Southern Gentleman

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 May 2013 - 04:04

Looking at your penmanship was worth reading the review. Thank you for sharing.
Peace,

J. Kenneth Byrd, Jr.

(Kenny)
The Tar Heel State--GO HEELS!

#10 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• 11,655 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:01

very nice review and great color, thank you :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time
Posted Image