Dearest Friends and Visitors of the Fountain Pen Network,
We have started implementing the changes we promised here: Upcoming Changes To FPN
Please do read the linked message above.

Photo

Charles Hubert fountain pens

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Dean

Dean

Country Doc

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 January 2007 - 14:34

I was just perusing isellpens.com this morning and came across the Charles Hubert pens. They actually look really nice and I like that some of them are designed so that you can post. Plus they're really cheap. I was just wondering if anyone here has any experience with these pens and could share their thoughts.

Dean
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded how much he had learned in the last seven years.
--Mark Twain

#2 coolpenz

coolpenz

Collectors Item

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 January 2007 - 16:53

Dean:
I bought a couple recently. They're easily as good-looking as any Chinese pen, have a decent balance, and don't write badly. One is a tiny bit scratchy, but not intolerable. I mean, don't expect a MB or Pelikan or high-end Sheaffer or Parker, but for an everyday pen you could do a LOT worse.

IMHO, anyway....

#3 tee

tee

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 20:24

<They're easily as good-looking as any Chinese pen>

Pardon my ignorance, but are they Chinese-made? (I thought about it too, given the price). Also some of them look like they're metal? (or is it some plastic that's made to look like metal).

t

#4 coolpenz

coolpenz

Collectors Item

• Premium - Ruby

• 1,021 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 January 2007 - 21:01

Not an ignorant question at all...
If they are Chinese made, it doesn't say anywhere on my pens.
Some are metal, some are plastic and metal, some wood. The nibs are German.
Again, not the best FPs out there, but they seem to be nicer than some like-priced others I've tried....

#5 goodguy

goodguy

Fountain pens and watches collector

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,524 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 January 2007 - 22:41

Charles Hubbert

I bought only one pen,the silver echt FP.And out of all the cheap pens that I had that was the best.I was suprised how smooth the nib was and how well balanced it felt.The pen was also very beautiful.Basicly in its price range it is one of the best buys you could have.
As far as I know it is made in France.

The person that bought the pen from me is very happy with it.
Respect to all

#6 amh210

amh210

Venerable

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 January 2007 - 22:45

I have a few of them and they have all surprised me in that they were very good for the price. They are all quite heavy (metal), so if you don't like heavy pens, they aren't a good choice for you. My favorite one is plaid!

Andy
"Andy Hoffman" Sandy Ego, CA
Torrey View is Andy's BlOG and Facebook me! If you visit my blog, click on the ad. I'll send all proceeds to charity.
For my minutiae, FOLLOW my Twitter.

#7 Bradley

Bradley

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2007 - 00:00

I have a Charles Hubert ballpen. They use the name Charles Hubert, Paris , but I don't believe the pens are made in France, which of course means...

It is a nice Montblanc-style pen, but I rarely use it.
Posted Image

#8 chupie

chupie

He's a grand, ungodly, god-like man, Captain Ahab.

• Member - Gold

• 1,189 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 03:03

I bought two. The rose gold one is lovely and writes well and very fine. I gave it to my mom for Christmas as she is constantly complaining she can't find a pen that writes finely. Now, she wishes she could get one that goes through to carbon but...I did my best biggrin.gif

The other one is much too scratchy and has pretty rotten flow. I will practice nib smoothing on it someday.
Pearl's Blog: A Journey in Patience: Feline DIabetes

Feline Diabetes is a treatable condition.
target="_blank">http://www.felinediabetes.com

#9 arvadajames

arvadajames

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 04:09

I have a Charles Hubert Rosewood that I bought from isellpens. It is a pretty smooth writer. My problem is the pen is too small unposted and the top is overly large compared to the bottom when it is posted. So it is a very uncomfortable shape for my hands. I will be selling it in the near future along with some other pens that I don't use.

#10 Dean

Dean

Country Doc

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2007 - 14:58

Thanks for the information everyone.

Dean
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded how much he had learned in the last seven years.
--Mark Twain

#11 EventHorizon

EventHorizon

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,002 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2007 - 16:48

I didn't even know this site existed so thanks for the post Dean. Based on the prices I saw, you can't go wrong for trying at least one. The Swarovski Crystal pens looked a bit dangerous however. I think I'll pass on those. unsure.gif
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"
US science fiction novelist & scholar (1920 - 1992)

There is probably no more terrible instant of enlightenment than the one in which you discover your father is a man--with human flesh.
Frank Herbert, Dune
US science fiction novelist (1920 - 1986)

My Pens on Flikr

#12 chupie

chupie

He's a grand, ungodly, god-like man, Captain Ahab.

• Member - Gold

• 1,189 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 01:08

I wouldn't mind trying one of those Picassos.
Pearl's Blog: A Journey in Patience: Feline DIabetes

Feline Diabetes is a treatable condition.
target="_blank">http://www.felinediabetes.com

#13 WTOCMike

WTOCMike

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 07:59

Interesting site (ISellPens). I saw a couple that look good, and I was thinking the same thing. I like the Picasso in blue & gold for one, and found the same thing for nearly the same price (when you figure in shipping) on EBay. That one coming from Mesa, AZ. I also noticed some similarities in the photos on both sites. Note the silver tray some of the pens and cases are sitting on.

So what's the story on these pens? I'm not experienced enough to know anything about the name. Am I correct in assuming that the "Picasso" we're looking at is a "no name" pen? No insult intended, I've read some of the threads about brand snobbery, and realize I'm partly snob myself with shopping choices. But in this case, I like the look, might be fun for a daily user to alternate with my other pen(s).

Any thoughts?

Edited by WTOCMike, 08 January 2007 - 08:01.

#14 Nimrud

Nimrud

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 09:47

"Picasso" is a new Chinese-made brand targeted at a more affluent Chinese middle class customer who is looking for something more snazzy than a typical Hero, but less expensive than a foreign pen brand.

#15 Nimrud

Nimrud

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 09:55

The Chinese market is undergoing lots of interesting changes now. You will find a lot of Chinese manufacturers trying to get a better margin using branding. Traditional Chinese brands though are falling behind, as they are associated with "cheap mass-produced goods for the masses" of the early Communist era.

Some manufacturers license brands from foreign brand licensing companies like Pierre Balmain, Charles Jourdan, etc to stick on pens (and all sorts of other things) so as to pitch the product as a "luxury import". Others try to create new brands like "Picasso" which have a sort of luxury and foreign connection.

I will not be surprised if "Charles Hubert" is an "invented" brand with a Chinese manufacturer behind it.

#16 Ink Stained Wretch

Ink Stained Wretch

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 10:09

QUOTE(coolpenz @ Jan 6 2007, 05:01 PM)
.... The nibs are German. ....

I don't have a Charles Hubert pen, but I have seen quite a number of Chinese pens with nibs that say "Germany" on them. This is just to say that not all nibs so marked are from Germany, or even from the continent of Europe. blink.gif
On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!
ink stained wretch filling inkwell

#17 morristv

morristv

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 11:56

I just got my first Hubert pen from Isellpens. As a warning I am new to this and know next to nothing about fountain pens. Having said that I have bought several of those Chinese pens on ebay and this was my first FP that costs more then $8. It writes consistently, which the Chinese do not, feels good and so far I like it a lot.

Terry