The Esterbrook Forum Estie Loaner Program

OcalaFlGuy

So you've been traveling around the world of Pendom and Whoa! what's with these Esterbrooks?!

Well, there certainly must be Something to them because, if nothing else, FPN has dedicated an entire sub-forum to these wonderful pens. If Esties have caught your eye and you think you might like to try one out before you buy one of your very own, we here at the Esterbrook forum would like to help you out.

There are just a few things we'd ask you to agree to in return, keeping in mind that this is a TRUST-BASED PROGRAM:

1) You must be an FPN member for at least 30 days with at least 30 posts, not counting posts in the Chatter area. This is the same minimum requirement to post an ad in the FPN Classifieds. (FYI - your post counter automatically excludes posts to Chatter)

2) Do some research and decide which size Esterbrook you'd like to try. Currently, the Estie Loaner Program has these models available: SJ, LJ and J. If you aren't sure which model you'd like, at the very least tell us if you prefer a thinner or thicker pen. Either Richard Binder's page on Esties (Search Richardspens.com for "Esterbrook") or our Moderator Brian Anderson's Esterbrook.net website can provide you information on each different size/model Estie. Then decide and POST IN THIS THREAD which model pen AND which nib width - XF, F, or M - you'd like to try in that pen. Also please indicate whether you have some bottled ink to try in your Loaner Estie (they don't take cartridges). If you don't have any bottled ink, your Loaner Member may be able to provide you with a small ink sample. You will be contacted by the Estie Forum Loaner member with the pen that most closely matches the one you want to test fly.

3) Please carefully open your incoming Loaner pen package so that you can reuse the same packing materials for its return and be sure to email or PM the Loaner Member the day you receive your Loaner pen. Enjoy using the pen for NOT MORE THAN TWO WEEKS and have the pen boxed up and back in the mail to the Loaner Member at the end of that 14 day period. Remember, this is a short-term loan program, not a keep-it-as-long-as-you-like program. Please notify your Loaner Member when the pen is en-route back to them. Of course you will need to pay the postage back to your Loaner Member, and we also ask that you send $3 to the Loaner Member via PayPal Personal/Gift to cover shipping to the member after you (or you can put in $3 cash with the pen when it is returned). The $3 is a "pay it forward" arrangement - no one is benefiting from the $3 except that it will cover postage to the next person in line who wants to borrow a pen. If you are in the US loaner pens will be sent to you via First Class Mail WITH Delivery Confirmation. If the pen comes to you with Delivery Confirmation, please be sure you return it with that option selected. (The reasoning on the U.S. Delivery Confirmation is that it's the cheapest way to get a pen parcel electronically wanded *at least once* should it then turn up missing.) Pens may be returned from overseas via the least expensive non-tracked method. I do not recommend postal insurance for Esties. I think the chances of you actually ever seeing proper value reimbursement for a lost vintage pen is all but non-existent.

4) Lastly, please try and take as good of care of the pen while it's in your possession as you would your own pen, and please notify your Loaner Member if the pen has any shortcomings they may not be aware of. ENJOY! your little visit with your new Esterbrook friend and see what the excitement here is all about. Perhaps if you are so inspired, you might post a pic of your Loaner pen with your own writing in one of the various threads here on FPN where members are doing that.

_______

As of 7/24/12 we have the following pens available for test loaning;

Green SJ, Medium 2668 nib

Blue LJ, 9556 F or 9550 XF nib (Borrower to specify which nib)

Green J, 9788 M nib

Red J, 2668 M nib

Copper J, 2556 F nib

_________

Estie Loan Program Loaner Member notes:

Please POST IN THIS THREAD if you have a pen you'd like to make available under the Estie Loaner Program, with the model and color and what nib you have available. A pic isn't necessary unless you so desire. Please try and have an example in as nice a condition as possible and be sure it is in good writing condition. Remember, your pen is an Ambassador for you, the Esterbrook Sub-Forum and the Estie brand itself.

When your Loaner pen is returned please at least dip test it to ensure its nib is still in the same writing order you sent it out in and maybe one quick water flush to be sure it's still filling correctly. Should your pen arrive back damaged, (other than perhaps with a user fixable tine misalignment) please either post here what the problem with the pen is or contact me backchannel about it. We will attempt to get your Loaner pen back into Loaner condition if reasonably possible.

Please also post here if you'd like to contribute a replacement nib in waiting or perhaps funds for replacement nibs should that become necessary.

If it is absolutely critical that you remain anonymous, feel free to contact me via PM with your donation details however, this is being done as a function of the Esterbrook Sub-Forum and we'd appreciate knowing who our gracious Loaner Members are, so please play out in the open on this unless you'd really rather not.

In closing, Welcome! to our newer Esterbrook Sub-Forum members and thank you Loaner Members for your help in making their welcome a gracious one. (And, thanks to DCPritch for his editing mania^h^h^h^prowess.) ;)

Bruce in Ocala, FL and the members of the Esterbrook forum

Edited by Brian Anderson

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OcalaFlGuy

• alc3261

• dcpritch

• pajaro

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A green J with a 9788 - flexible medium is available.

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/photobucket-53824-1343066026130.jpg

edited for addition of writing sample

Edited by GClef

I think that's a great idea, I really hope it works. :)

-Eclipse Flat Top-|-Parker "51" Aero-|-Sheaffer's Snorkel Sentinel-|-Esterbrook SJ-|-Sheaffer Imperial II Deluxe TD-|-Sheaffer 330-|-Reform 1745-|-PenUsa Genesis-|-Hero 616-|-Noodler's Flex-|-Schneider Voice-|-TWSBI Vac 700-

Here is my Loaner SJ with the 2668 M in it in action from the Show your pen and writing thread in Writing Instruments.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

2012-07-15_11-14-06_693.jpg

What a wonderfully generous idea. I'm new to fountain pens and am slowly dipping my toe into the vintage arena. I've been reluctant to buy so far because I have a hard time judging size, nibs, etc. SJ, LJ, J and so many nib varieties on these Esterbrooks.

I wish I could contribute but like I said I'm pretty much a newbie (a couple of TWSBIs and Lamys). Would love to participate though!

Here is my loaner, a blue icicle LJ with a 9550 Extra Fine nib. I also have a 9556 Fine Writing nib available - the borrower can simply let me know which nib they prefer:

fpn_1342535322__esterbrook_lj_blue_icicle_1024x662.jpg

Edited by dcpritch

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

It looks like we have the three basic sizes covered, but we still need at least a Fine or two nibbed pens... :unsure:

Again, the more the merrier. The better the assortment to loan out and more time between Loaner send outs. :thumbup:

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Bruce, I've got a recently re-sacced dubonnet red "J" with a 2668 nib to make the rounds if needed or wanted. I could send it to you to be the custodian if you want to make sure folks are getting a nice quality pen. I don't know that I could babysit it between trips out.

Forgot to add, if someone wanted to use this as a tester pen for restoration skills, go for it! I have no particular attachments to it and was thinking of offering it to PIF, so if someone wanted to practice their polishing or resaccing skills, mine could be a kind of "cadaver for med school students" pen. In other words: If it gets broken, lost, bit, mangled, melted, shattered, painted, etc, no biggie from where I'm sitting.

Edited by bphollin

I started a traveling handwriting collection, and that got lost. There is one too many factors that will ensure that the items transition hands to ensure that the pens are borrowed temporarily, and not permanently. I can understand how Esties can be sent around, because they are plentiful, but seeing as how a pen body can sell for $30 and a good, working nib can go upwards of $10 depending on how rare or desirable it is, I'd be hard pressed to find someone to trust on the internet based on word and word alone, unless they've been part of this community for ages. I suppose, if you imposed simmilar restriction to who you'd be willing to lend pens out to like the marketplace, you'd be in safer waters.

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

Well, I for one have gotten a lots of help and support from this group so this is an opportunity to give back. Have a brown "J" with a 2556 fine firm nib to add to this list.

I understand that there is some risk attached to this concept of "loaning" a pen to someone I don't know. There is also the opportunity to widen our circle of friends within the community.

Looking forward to where this might lead.

post-17590-0-88652600-1343074370.jpg

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.

I started a traveling handwriting collection, and that got lost. There is one too many factors that will ensure that the items transition hands to ensure that the pens are borrowed temporarily, and not permanently. I can understand how Esties can be sent around, because they are plentiful, but seeing as how a pen body can sell for $30 and a good, working nib can go upwards of $10 depending on how rare or desirable it is, I'd be hard pressed to find someone to trust on the internet based on word and word alone, unless they've been part of this community for ages. I suppose, if you imposed simmilar restriction to who you'd be willing to lend pens out to like the marketplace, you'd be in safer waters.

Rest assured there was some trepidation in this area myself.

For the record, I've been sitting on this ready to post for several days now while I waited to see how the return of GClef's first sent out pens went. There appears to be no negative issues there. For the mental discussion with myself I valued a loaner Estie at $30. My thought was, if someone Really Wanted a $30 Estie Bad Enough to scheme for 30 continuous days to get a pen sent to them and then abscond, well, in my mind, they were welcome to it. :rolleyes:

The other even stronger thought was, while I might allow for the nefarious actions of others to Kill the ideal AFTER it was tried, I was less willing to allow the Possible nefarious actions of others to be a capable enough reason to PREVENT us from trying.

I personally am willing to invest a pen in the hope that this is idea better tried even if it fails than one that never gets the opportunity to succeed.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Hey Bruce. . . Has any thought been given about a supply of ink for these loaner pens? If the pen is going to someone just getting their feet wet there is a very good possibility that they won't have any bottled fountain ink on hand. We all know that bottled ink isn't nearly as available as it used to be. Also, because most "office supply" store employees have little, if any knowledge of fountain pens it probably be a good idea to warn borrower not to use the more commonly available drafting inks.

A possible solution would be to include a sample size vial of ink along with the pen. I understand that this complicates the process immensely and look forward to better ideas.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.

Good point Nolan.

I'll address that in the pinned Operational thread that the Loaner at least check to see if the Loanee has SOME ink suitable for use in the Estie.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

I think this is a WONDERFUL idea, Bruce!

Unfortunately, I'm a selfish Estie owner. I have only one Esterbrook, and I'm not yet willing to let her travel alone.

However, I would be more than happy to kick in $20 via Paypal to help pay postage costs to get this program started.

"You have to be willing to be very, very bad in this business if you're ever to be good. Only if you stand ready to make mistakes today can you hope to move ahead tomorrow."

Dwight V. Swain, author of Techniques of the Selling Writer.

One more thought. Each time the Estie is sent out, it should include easy to read and understand instructions on filling, using and cleaning.

I was at a loss on how to use a lever fill pen until someone sent me instructions. :embarrassed_smile:

"You have to be willing to be very, very bad in this business if you're ever to be good. Only if you stand ready to make mistakes today can you hope to move ahead tomorrow."

Dwight V. Swain, author of Techniques of the Selling Writer.

I think this is a great (and generous) idea. It illustrates well the foundational characteristic of hospitality, that is, to share with a stranger. As one who has ony used modern fountain pens (Pelikans, Watermans, and Lamys), I am interested in trying a vintage pen. I would be love to try a pen before investing in a particular style and nib.

David

Brandon, thank you. I would probably ask that if it's in use condition now that you send it to it's first Loanee. We can have them either return it to me or maybe to Melissa as her first Uber-Nuke Polish patient. :eureka:

Melissa, your contribution is filed away and I'll see that the same person continues to send out the needed "Owners Manuals".

We currently have 5 pens in all the 3 different sizes and 3 different nib widths pledged. :bunny01: :clap1: Great job everyone!

I have the prospective pinned Operational Thread finished and am just working through it's edits now.

To those newest FPNers, time to hit Richardpens.com (search there on Esterbrook) and Esterbrook.net to bone up on your Estiefacts and start poking around on FPN to bump up those post counts. :thumbup:

Bruce in Ocala, FL

I would be willing to lend out my M2 with the 9284 stub, if someone wanted to try it, mainly because the investment is only $45. Somebody might want to try an M2, and I could put in a 9550 nib if it would work better for the borrower.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.