19 replies to this topic

#1 mattyts

mattyts

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 23:09

So i have a choice.lamy safari or noodlers ahab?

Also where can i get a ahab in the uk?

#2 Andrew H

Andrew H

Chargin' Windmills

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 23:13

It depends on what you're looking for in your new pen...

What are you looking for?
"I hope to add some measure of grace to the world. . . . Whether I win or lose does not matter, only that I follow the quest."

Looking for a Sheaffer Sovereign II Gray Pearl with an EF nib.

#3 Freddy

Freddy

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 July 2012 - 23:33

So i have a choice.lamy safari or noodlers ahab?

Also where can i get a ahab in the uk?

Consider both.

Can not help.

Fred
The Big O ~ Matt Helm ~

#4 mattyts

mattyts

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 23:36

Im looking for a durable pen that will get used everyday for taking notes in school and writing essays.

Writing for a long time and not gettning fatigue is important

#5 Kugelschreiber

Kugelschreiber

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 July 2012 - 23:43

Have you ever held a Safari before? If not, have you ever used a pen with a similar contoured grip?

I ask because there does seem to be some few among us who can't stand the Lamy Safari gripping section.
"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

~ George Orwell

#6 arcaneradio

arcaneradio

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 July 2012 - 23:49

I have both. I find myself using the Lamy Safari everyday at work. Fine nib and Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher.
"The Fountain Pen is an elegant weapon of a more civilized age"

PM me if you would like to exchange postcards.

#7 professionaldilettante

professionaldilettante

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,947 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 00:09

If you're a student, I would get the Safari hands down. I've seen too many posts about fiddling with an Ahab. For the most part, the Safari is durable, writes well out of the box, and highly reliable. It was my first "full time work horse", and it did the job well. I had an EF nib, as I found that the paper used at my university was variable in quality. Pair it with a ink that doesn't tend to feather and bleed, and you've got winning set up.

Others may point out the grip is a problem. It really isn't. The grip forces you to use the classic tripod grip, where you grip the pen with the tips of your thumb, 2nd, and 3rd finger. Those with bad habits tend to find the pen unforgiving, but if you learn to hold a pen correctly, as the Safari has taught me, the sky becomes the limit.
The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.
Blaise Pascal

Posted Image

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

#8 Kugelschreiber

Kugelschreiber

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2012 - 00:31

Others may point out the grip is a problem. It really isn't. The grip forces you to use the classic tripod grip, where you grip the pen with the tips of your thumb, 2nd, and 3rd finger. Those with bad habits tend to find the pen unforgiving, but if you learn to hold a pen correctly, as the Safari has taught me, the sky becomes the limit.

Good to know it is my fault. :thumbup: ;)

If the grip weren't an issue, I would pick the Safari hands down over the Ahab.
"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

~ George Orwell

#9 htom

htom

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2012 - 00:35

I have and use both. I have more Ahabs than Safaris, but you should probably get a Safari first. I tend to use Safaris for note-taking and Ahabs for letter writing.

#10 MKeith

MKeith

"A man's got to know his limitations"

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2012 - 00:50

Absolutely for your purposes get a Safari or for a bit more the Al-Star, which I believe is even a bit more indestructible. And I agree with professionaldilettante on the EF nib. Lamy nibs are western sizes.

Edited by MKeith, 20 July 2012 - 01:47.

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" Patrick Henry

#11 melissa59

melissa59

Lots to Learn

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 00:56

The Safari is a great everyday pen.
The Noodler's Ahab is a tinkering pen. It's fun do doodle with, play with the flex, etc. But it can be temperamental.
"You have to be willing to be very, very bad in this business if you're ever to be good. Only if you stand ready to make mistakes today can you hope to move ahead tomorrow."
Dwight V. Swain, author of Techniques of the Selling Writer.

#12 keepitfresh

keepitfresh

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:23

For everyday note writing and whatnot, the Safari is a lot more practical. I always carry one with me to school. The Safari is perfect for me as a high school student because it's not too expensive, extremely durable and the perfect weight for me to write loads of notes during class! More on the durability, my friend accidentally flung the pen across my class ( :rolleyes: ) and it stayed perfect in tact, with just a bit of ink on the nib. I like the Vista (clear demonstrator version of the Safari) a bit better for school because I can see how much ink is left. Either way excellent choice.

I have the Ahab too, but I don't use it very often. It's not a very inconsistent pen, and I'd rather not risk blobbing ink all over an essay or something! :roflmho:
Posted Image
Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind -Romans 12:2

#13 DAVE9500

DAVE9500

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:00

The lamy safari is a great writer. The ahab requires some fiddling with the nib which I don't have patience for. I just want something work out of the box when I get it. Lamy Safari hands down.

Dave

#14 ddustinn

ddustinn

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:43

If you take the time and are patient, the Ahab can be really great. Mine is one of my most consistent writers.

If you want a pen that will write pretty well out of the box with no adjustments, a Safari is for you. I have one, and used it for a long time, but it doesn't get much use any more from me.
"While you are proclaiming peace with your lips, be careful to have it even more fully in your heart."
- St. Francis of Assisi
"Don't play what's there. Play what's not there."
-Miles Davis
I will gladly take your unwanted Noodler's pens. Don't throw them away.

Assume no affiliation.

#15 revdrjaydwright

revdrjaydwright

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:51

1342740964[/url]' post='2409306']
Im looking for a durable pen that will get used everyday for taking notes in school and writing essays.

Writing for a long time and not gettning fatigue is important

In that case I say safari. I'm not sure Ahab will be that useful for what you're envisioning.
I wrote a considerable portion of my doctoral thesis with a Safari. It's a great pen for nose to the grind work.
Good luck!

Edited by revdrjaydwright, 23 July 2012 - 11:52.

#16 Cerbeos

Cerbeos

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:46

+1 on the Safari as a first purchase between these two. The Ahab is pretty nice but there's a reason they've sold so many Lamys... (Plus I'd sooner recommend the Konrad over the Ahab :) )
Posted Image

#17 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,009 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 13:01

Hi,

I've been using an Ahab that was loaned to me, and really like the ergonomics of the pen, and loove the design which allows it to be taken to bits for cleaning and adjustment. I have some concern about the reliability of the section-to-reservoir joint. I like the nib, but it may be a bit wide, so one needs to seek-out third party nibs to source a narrow nib. I know of only one vendor in the UK with Ahabs in stock, purepens dot co dot uk.

The Safari has a proven track record as a reliable robust cost-effective workhorse. It takes ink from bottles and [proprietary] cartridge. Ink level can be determined without removing the barrel. There is a wide range of inexpensive (£4.50) nibs available, which can be swapped-out in the field if necessary. The clip is amongst the most grippy that I've come across, (so sorry Tuckie.) It comes in Pink. It may be a cult object. Some are Non-Nudists, so will let it be known that they prefer some sort of attire LINK

Bye,
S1

Edited by Sandy1, 23 July 2012 - 13:03.

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

#18 guilhermejf

guilhermejf

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 July 2012 - 13:33

I don't find the Ahab the best workhorse. Noodler's flex nib may not work well over any kind of paper. Safari would be nicer, and school pen is its purpose. I struggled a lot with its grip, but since I learned how to use the tripod grip, it's wonderful.

#19 XiaoMG

XiaoMG

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 July 2012 - 15:28

I just got my first charcoal Safari and though I wish it had a finer nib, I have to say I'm pretty impressed with it...especially for the price. If I were still a student and wrote larger and insisted on a fountain pen, I think it'd be one of my top choices. I was expecting it to be kinda janky like some of my old Platinum pens, but it's a very well thought-out pen with good performance. It's almost too bad that as a "beginner pen", so many people feel like they grow out of it as their collections develop.
Robert.

#20 CAG_1787

CAG_1787

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 July 2012 - 15:45

+1 on the Safari. You will almost find them more consistent and dependable than the Noodler's pens.

I have a Konrad and enjoy it, but requires fiddling, while the Safari has never been anything other than on point (pun intended).
“You cultivate the essential virtues: high purpose, intelligence, decency, humility, fear of the Lord, and the passion for freedom.” - William F. Buckley, Jr.