Stipula Calamo Sepia

Sandy1

For convenient viewing of the images, you may wish to scroll to the menu at the very bottom of this window to ensure the FPN Theme is http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/ecb8726d-1.jpg.

Please take a moment to adjust your gear to accurately depict the Grey Scale below.

As the patches are neutral grey, that is what you should see.

Grey Scale:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/b4a04182.jpg

- = | = -

Fidelity

As the Stipula site does not depict this ink, comparison of an 'official' sample to the ink I used does not seem possible.

Wiki 'sepia colour': LINK

Figure 1.

Swabs & Swatch

Paper: HPJ1124 24 lb.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Stipula%20Calamo%20Sepia/259a69b5.jpg

Figure 2.

NIB-ism ✑

Paper: HPJ1124.

Depicts nibs' line-width and pens' relative wetness.

IMG-thumb:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Stipula%20Calamo%20Sepia/th_d67d11c7.jpg

Pens: L ➠ R: PCP, Phileas, C74, 45, Estie, Prelude.

Figure 3.

Paper base tints:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Private%20Reserve%20Chocolate/86f3378c.jpg

L ➠ R: HPJ1124, Rhodia, G Lalo white, Royal, Staples 20 lb.

WRITTEN SAMPLES - Moby Dick

Ruling: 8mm.

Figure 4.

Paper: HPJ1124.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Stipula%20Calamo%20Sepia/126b4dae.jpg

Figure 5.

Paper: Rhodia.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Stipula%20Calamo%20Sepia/3ec5cea6.jpg

Figure 6.

Paper: G Lalo, Verge de France, white.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Stipula%20Calamo%20Sepia/ab99db39.jpg

Figure 7.

Paper: Royal - 25% rag.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Stipula%20Calamo%20Sepia/1dc143a9.jpg

Figure 8.

Paper: Staples 20 lb. multi-use

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Stipula%20Calamo%20Sepia/9c60c773.jpg

Figure 9.

Grocery List

Paper: Pulp. One-a-Day calendar page.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Stipula%20Calamo%20Sepia/9f0f6dfb.jpg

OTHER STUFF

Figure 10.

Smear/Dry Times & Wet Tests.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Stipula%20Calamo%20Sepia/d3ba088b.jpg

GENERAL DESCRIPTION

Type:

• Dye-based fountain pen ink.

Presentation:

• Bottle.

Availability:

• Available when Topic posted.

Daily writer?

• Rather unlikely.

A go-to ink?

• When a luxurious warm Brown is desired.

USE

Business:

(From the office of Ms Blue-Black.)

• Possible - very much a function of density.
  • High density such as the C74 on HPJ1124 seems necessary to use SCS for general correspondence; and even then, my personal choice would be to use it only for lateral & downward communication. Perhaps as an alt/aux colour for those who use two or more pens.
  • For personal work product, I think this would really quite fine. It is a bit warm, so can move along well. As SCS is quite malleable, careful matching of SCS to a fixed paper+pen combo seems a good idea to generate the desired appearance.
  • Has a bit of separation from material printed in Black, so may be OK for forms work, but not quite snappy enough for mark-up or editing.
  • Line quality and colour would suit marginalia.
  • Not enough zap for error correction or grading.

Illustrations / Graphics:

• Certainly, but may require some extra care to get it 'just right' - the perceived colour does seem to shift somewhat throughout its considerable range of workable densities, but does remain Brown. Could span roles from a soft ground to a primary figure.
  • At medium density, it could be used as a 'definitive' Brown for charts & graphs, but if too dark it may be mistaken for a warm Black.
  • Could handle labels and taut narrow lines.
  • Total lack of water resistance may appeal to those who re-work wet paper/canvas.

Students:

• Possible.
  • A dry-ish writer may be necessary for two-sided use on 'lowest bidder' paper.
  • Not the least bit water resistant - so no side trips from the library to a café or one's local without safeguarding what's written.
  • Unlikely to be suitable for assignments.

Personal:

• Oh yes!
  • With SCS we have an ink with a luxurious writing experience, charming good looks and fine manners.
  • There is enough warmth and lustre in the rather dark tone to make it a good alternative to my usual Blue to Blue-Black array, and even the inks usually held for some family and close friends. Perhaps another ink for those I would like to become better acquainted - after a favourable reply to a letter written in Saphir.
  • While it is certainly too nice for pro forma personal business writing, it would not be out of place when a personal touch seems appropriate, such as a card sent to a business acquaintance. (Not everyone gets Saffron on their birthday card!)
  • The use of various nib shapes, wetness and width seems like a rewarding adventure, and the generous performance profile of SCS provides significant freeboard for exploration without undue risk of encountering a performance issue.

PHYSICAL PERFORMANCE & CHARACTERISTICS

Flow Rate:

• Middling.

Nib Dry-out:

• Not seen.

Start-up:

• Immediate.
  • With confidence.

Lubricity:

• Very nice & smooth.
  • Narrow nibs were comfy, and the wide nibs remained sure-footed.

Nib Creep:

• Not seen.

Staining (pen):

• Not seen after three days.

Clogging:

• Seems very unlikely

Bleed- Show-Through:

• Staples 20lb. LINK
  • Two-sided use is possible on all but the 20lb.

Feathering / Wooly Line:

• Not seen.

Aroma:

• Very faint.

Hand oil sensitivity:

• Not evident.

Clean Up:

• Exceptionally fast and thorough with plain water.
  • A good pick if one may need to change ink colours on the fly or in the field.

Mixing:

• No stated prohibitions.

Archival:

• Not claimed.

THE LOOK

Presence:

• Comfortable as a well broken-in leather jacket.

Saturation:

• Middling.

Shading:

• Can be encouraged on smooth-surfaced papers - even from narrow nibs.
  • Quite attractive when it appears. :thumbup:
  • See the Hi-Res image from the C74 on Rhodia below.

Line Quality:

• Better than most on the textured papers used; with good crispness on the highly absorbent soft Royal, though just a bit coarse on the G Lalo, which diminished as pen wetness increased.
  • Line-width was quite consistent across the papers used: there was much less spread than usual, and notably few ink pools at the end of a strong down-stroke - which may appeal to novice calligraphers.

Variability:

• Pen+nib combos used:
    • More than expected.

[*]Papers used:

• A bit greater than expected.

[*]Malleability:

• Significant.
    • Offers considerable range across the mid-to-dark tones, largely determined by selection of the writer.
    • While we do not see examples of SCS at very low density, its high line quality with reliable flow rate make the use of even very dry writers possible when paired with a smooth paper.
    • This one does shift around on the different papers - mostly due to their base tint, rather than variation of papers' absorbency.
    • If shading is desired, use of a hard smooth paper holds considerable promise, but it seems that in my hand SCS is not a powerhouse of shading. (Please chime in.)

Hi-Res Scans:

Originals are approximately 57.2 x 45.1mm.

As I do not wish to be dubbed 'Regina Dei Banditi Di Larghezza Di Banda', these are IMG-thumbs only. To view as intended, kindly click the image.

PCP on HPJ1124:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Stipula%20Calamo%20Sepia/th_2b60dbb8.jpg

C74 on Rhodia:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Stipula%20Calamo%20Sepia/th_a66b384c.jpg

45 on G Lalo:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Stipula%20Calamo%20Sepia/th_b3c2d32c.jpg

Prelude on Royal:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Stipula%20Calamo%20Sepia/th_b2a328cb.jpg

OTHER INKS

This Review uses the same Written Sample format and some pen+paper combos common to most of my previous Reviews of Brown inks. Consequently, ad hoc comparisons through manipulation of browser windows is supported.

Should that functionality not meet your requirements, I welcome your request via PM. Additional scans may be produced, but the likelihood of additional inky work is quite low.

We also have the good fortune that SCS was included in the astounding Sepia Toned Ink Comparison by member dcpritch, Part 1 & Part 2.

Swab Swami:

IMG-thumb:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Stipula%20Calamo%20Sepia/th_f212929c.jpg

Left ➠ Right: Diamine Saddle Brown, Omas Sepia, Visconti Sepia.

PAPERS

Lovely papers:

• This is one Brown that is very much at home on a crisp neutral white - no joke! (Perhaps boosting its viability as a Business Brown?)

Trip-wire Papers: ☠

• None seen.

Tinted Papers:

• Certainly depends on density, but I would not go very much warmer than a Champagne; and might be worth a go on Pale Blue stock if some is to hand. (I've yet to try Pink paper.)

Copy/Printer Papers:

• The crisp line quality, and its ability to run well and look good at a range of densities makes SCS a fine match to such papers.
  • Ms Fussy thinks there were a few too many bleed-though freckles on the 20lb for two-sided use, but the 24lb suppressed bleed-through from all pens.

Is high-end paper 'worth it'?

• Aye!
  • Even though performance and appearance on HPJ1124 was quite fine indeed, smooth hard-surfaced papers such as Rhodia & Clairefontaine Triomphe extend the range of SCS considerably, with CT topping Rhodia due to its cooler base-tint.

ETC.

Majik:

• As luxurious and malleable as it is, majik seems just out of reach.

Billets doux?

• Not quite, unless one can write between the lines.

Personal Pen & Paper Pick:

• The Estie on Rhodia.
  • The moderately wide nib running at high density provides good %-age coverage to situate the ink firmly on the page. The warm colour is balanced by the darker tone.
  • The Rhodia holds a saturating dye-load, shows-off the line quality and encourages subtle shading.

Yickity Yackity:

• Where has this one been hiding out?
  • Ah kushbaby, just wait a tick for an opening on your ink shelves, then juggle the incumbents to make a place for a bottle of SCS.

= = = = = =

NUTS & BOLTS

Pens

Written Samples:

• Platinum Carbon Pen + g-p steel über-narrow nib.
  • Phileas Demonstrator + plain steel F nib.
  • Pilot Custom 74 + 14K № 5 SFM nib.
  • Parker 45 + steel M nib.
  • Esterbrook J + steel 9968 B nib.
  • Sheaffer Prelude + factory stock steel Stub nib.

Lines & labels:

• Diamine Indig♡ from a Pilot Penmanship + XF.

Papers:

• HPJ1124 24 lb. Laser Copy.
  • Rhodia.
  • G Lalo, Verge de France, white.
  • Royal, 25% cotton rag.
  • Staples 20 lb. multi-use.
  • Pulp. One-a-Day calendar page.

Imaging

• An Epson V600 scanner was used with the bundled Epson s/w at factory default settings to produce low-loss jpg files.
  • Figures shown were scanned at 200 dpi & 24 bit colour.
  • Hi-Res images linked were scanned at 300 dpi & 24 bit colour.
  • No post-capture manipulation of scanner output was done, other than dumb-down by Epson, Photobucket & IP.Board s/w.

Densitometer Readings:

(HPJ1124)

• Red 143
  • Grn 70
  • Blu 37
  • Lum 79

Fine Print

The accuracy and relevance of this Review depends in great part upon consistency and reliability of matériel used.

Ink does not require labelling/notice to indicate (changes in) formulation, non-hazardous ingredients, batch ID, date of manufacture, etc.

As always, YMMV, not only from materials, methods, environment, etc., but also due to differences between the stuff I used and that you may have, and manner of working.

Also, I entrust readers to separate opinion from fact; to evaluate inferences and conclusions as to their merit; and to be amused by whatever tickles your fancy.

-30-

Tags: Fountain Pen Ink Review Stipula Calamo Sepia Brown Sandy1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• georges zaslavsky

• mh_soo

• goldenkrishna

Like so many others, I really enjoy your ink reviews just for the wealth of information they provide. Thank you :) I've been curious about Stipula inks so I especially appreciate this one. Keep it up thumbup.gif

Tamara

Like so many others, I really enjoy your ink reviews just for the wealth of information they provide. Thank you :) I've been curious about Stipula inks so I especially appreciate this one. Keep it up thumbup.gif

Hi,

You're welcome!

I hope that the review has satisfied some of your curiosity - as far as pixels on a monitor can go. ;)

Bye,

S1

That's a nice brown, something to add to the list. Thanks Sandy

Hi,

You're welcome.

This is a great ink for those who want a Brown that looks quite solid / stable on the page, and can exploit its roomy performance envelope.

Bye,

S1

Eew! I came in expecting to like this and somehow it pushed my "ick!" button. Funny how we react to colors. :hmm1:

Eew! I came in expecting to like this and somehow it pushed my "ick!" button. Funny how we react to colors. :hmm1:

:roflmho:

. . . at least it didn't push the "

:sick:" button!

It seems that Brown is a very tricky, and personal colour - less so than basic Blue.

When I reviewed some other Brown inks, there were a few that other people thought were wonderful, but left me flat, wondering how on earth so many people could consider them favourites.

As always, more ink + more pens + more paper + more people = :happyberet:

Bye,

S1

Thanks for the review, Queen Thief of Bandwidth! :roflmho:

Hi,

You're welcome!

Bye,

QOTBB

• 3 months later...

Thank you for your great review Sandy1.

Such a gentle looking ink. It is the brownest sepia I have seen thus far.

Inked

Thank you for your great review Sandy1.

Such a gentle looking ink. It is the brownest sepia I have seen thus far.

Inked

Hi,

You're welcome!

Thanks for sharing your impressions of this ink.

I think it really should be a bit more well-known, but there's many inks which I really enjoy that are 'under the radar'.

Bye,

S1

• 1 month later...

Hello Sandy1,

Thank you very much for this exhaustive review, it shows me the effect that choice of paper has on writing and the colour intensity.

I have Clairefontaine, but I think that I need to order some Rhodia as well.

Your ink reviews are valuable, keep it going!

With love,

goldenkrishna

Ik tik

Your review is full of detail & enlightening. Thanks~

Hi,

You're welcome!

I try to be quite thorough, and like to share. :)

Bye,

S1

Hello Sandy1,

Thank you very much for this exhaustive review, it shows me the effect that choice of paper has on writing and the colour intensity.

I have Clairefontaine, but I think that I need to order some Rhodia as well.

Your ink reviews are valuable, keep it going!

With love,

goldenkrishna

Hi,

You're welcome!

I tend to use a bit more Rhodia than Clairefontaine Triomphe. Both are very good papers, and I reckon they are sufficiently different to merit having both in one's array, especially if pursuing shading.

Rhodia has a slightly warmer base-tint and a bit more tooth than CT. CT typically has greater resistance to bleed- show-through.

Also, CT comes in 'glued' pad giving a full A4 sheet when detached; the Rhodia Bloc № 18 pad that I use is staple-bound with perforated sheets that measure 20.9x27.7mm when detached.

Bye,

S1

very nice color thanks for sharing :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time