Wait, So My Lamy Bb Isn't Iron Gall?

Physalis

I recently bought some lamy blue black ink in bottle form. I had heard that this was IG while their cartridges are not. But I've been reading that the formula had changed, and even the bottled ink is not IG. Just wondering if this is true.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lapis

• SchaumburgSwan

• wallylynn

• Physalis

Yes, this has been mentioned here a lot over the last few months (at most 1 year?). I haven't bought any since 2 or so years so I can't make a comparison to prove this change.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

The talk has been that the new formulation has very little water-fastness, a quick test of that should tell you if you have the new or old version.

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan

I can confirm that new stock Lamy blue-black is not water fast and definitely not iron gall based any more. I bought a bottle thinking it was the I-g formula and it more or less washes straight off. Very disappointing since I have tried the I-g version and it is a really great ink.

Are there any stock numbers on the box or bottle that would identify the ink as IG or non-IG?

There are absolutely no wordings as to colours and/or iron-gall content or dates on the bottles or boxes of my older editions except for '50 ml', 'Made in Germany' and 'www.lamy.com'. But there is for an old blue-black Lamy ink (in the UPC-A barcode symbol on the bottom of the box) the numbering 4 014519 089360. (On their old blue I make it 4 014519 089339).

Anybody out there to ready to chime in as re a new issue?

Mike

Edited by lapis

Here is what I have on the bottom of my Ink box of Genuine Lamy Blue/Black Iron gall ink (tested and verified 1 minute ago).

LT52BLBK

LAMY BOTTLE INK

BLUE/BLACK T52

The upc code I have is 0 21274 08936

This bottle and the other two I bought have similar upc codes; 2 I bought from Goulets and one from a brick and mortar here in Seattle.

I can see another upc code under the one that I have mentioned. It is 4 014519 089360. They must have different codes for different regions, US and them :).

Edit

I just saw the UPC code of Lamy blue black at the Paperhaus (where I bought my bottle of ink before Lamy changed to cartridge formula) and it shows a new UPC code of 021274089362.

Edited by RudyR

What Would The Flying Spaghetti Monster Do?

My bottles have the barcode 4 014519 089360 and the one that is open is iron-gall.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

My bottles have the barcode 4 014519 089360 and the one that is open is iron-gall.

So capn, looks like the glass you have in your bar is a German brew...

So capn, looks like the glass you have in your bar is a German brew...

Indeed. Dry like your humour!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Ahh, Cap'n, my friend, you are so invincible, unsurpassable... our dry humour is unable to be vanquished... but our wet humour -- having resorted to the almighty glass -- might possibly be associated with a joke so much that you wet yourself... or... (completely synonymous with an ink) like a wet dream, because it's fun while it lasts but you have to clean up after yourself.

Edited by lapis

Well, after doing a water test it seems that I lucked out and got an IG bottle. Thanks for the info!

I bought a bottle of Lamy Blue-Black recently, and discovered, thanks to an earlier post on the subject here on FPN, that it was totally impermanent. Why on earth did Lamy change from successful ink to one that washes right off? Does anyone know what led to the decision to pull the IG content out?

Shame - I like the Lamy bottles and would have bought some bb having read nice things about it here. But not now it's become just another washaway ink.

Chris

I bought a bottle of Lamy Blue-Black recently, and discovered, thanks to an earlier post on the subject here on FPN, that it was totally impermanent. Why on earth did Lamy change from successful ink to one that washes right off? Does anyone know what led to the decision to pull the IG content out?

My guess would be that Lamy found out that a considerable percentage of their customers don't write as much with their pens in this digital age and therefore ink stays a lot longer in their pens. In that case, IG-inks can cause clogging issues since it might start to oxidize. Which may lead to warranty issues, damage to Lamy's reputation, etc.

Speculation from my side though.

Hi

Lamy did reply to queries in this regard, which I thought was very good of them - even if it was bad news for those who support I-G inks.

Please see Post № 36 LINK

Alas, the letters/email requesting Lamy to retain the I-G formulation did not achieve the desired result.

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Fortunately I make my own IG ink: I think it is far better compared to Lamy blue-black and it flows wetter and darkens much more blacker.

I actually never had rinsed my stainless steel nibbed Papermate fountain pen and it already has been filled countless time......

For those interested: a new batch has been brewed. The last before I will going on vacation for a few weeks :rolleyes: .

Edited by pharmacist

Fortunately I make my own IG ink: I think it is far better compared to Lamy blue-black and it flows wetter and darkens much more blacker.

I actually never had rinsed my stainless steel nibbed Papermate fountain pen and it already has been filled countless time......

For those interested: a new batch has been brewed. The last before I will going on vacation for a few weeks :rolleyes: .

Agreed. I like your IG much more than the one made by Lamy. Of the IGs I have I'd rank them Pharmacists/MB > ESS > Diamine > Lamy.

• 1 month later...

I checked with Pen City in Melbourne today - they only have the new stock.

A little walk down Bourke street uncovered some old stock at Penfolds.They still had some bottles with the barcode 4 014519 089360. A quick test of the two bottles I bought indicates that they are fairly water resistant. - Pretty much the same as the bottle I bought last year.