Best 0.5Mm Retractable Drafting Pencil

jakelogan

I'm on the quest for the ultimate retractable-sleeve drafting pencil. Please aid me on my journey. I have hunted for a long time.

From the Rotring 800s to the Lamy Scribbles to the Ohto Promechas to the Pentel Graphgear 1000s, the retractable tips all of a little bit of "play." What I mean is, the lead sleeve tips that retract are not solid and will move a tiny bit while writing due to a space in the retracting mechanism. I am looking for a pencil that does not have this terribly annoying problem. I am sorry if I am picky but for a pencil to call itself useful for drafting and technical work, the tip simply cannot move! Thus the rotring 800, which was on the more expensive side, sits underneath my pencil drawer and gets less use than my Pentel P205 (which is a fantastic pencil, by the way).

What is a drafting pencil (or anything with a good-lengthed lead sleeve pipe thing) that can retract yet write like a fixed-sleeve pencil? Under $100 preferably.

Step 1: Buy another fountain pen

Step 2: ???

Step 3: Profit.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jakelogan

• Ethereal Winter Wind

• Tdot

• stuartk

Have you tried the Pentel Sharp Sliding Sleeve pencil? I have not noticed any wobble in the sleeve, but I use it for general writing, not drafting. I use a fixed sleeve pencil if working with a template or straight edge. I consider it a dressier version of the P205. The tips are interchangeable.

Adam

Dayton, OH

It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings.

-- Prov 25:2

Sorry but there isn't anything that fits your description if you think the pentel graphgear 1000 or Ohto Promechas have loose mechanisms. Same probably goes for the rotring 800 ( haven't tired yet ), But those pencils you mentioned are the finest and most well made there are for retractable tips and I personally have felt no give with any of them.

In a last ditch effort you might like to try the Twsbi mechanical pen: http://www.twsbi.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Mechanical-Pencil where the sleeve retracts (by you having to hold down the knock and then pushing the sleeve and the lead) but the mechanism doesn't.

Maybe you have to start questioning how hard you a pushing when you are using your mechanical pencils if you are finding "give" in so many of the best mechanical pencils.

Sorry but there isn't anything that fits your description if you think the pentel graphgear 1000 or Ohto Promechas have loose mechanisms. Same probably goes for the rotring 800 ( haven't tired yet ), But those pencils you mentioned are the finest and most well made there are for retractable tips and I personally have felt no give with any of them.

In a last ditch effort you might like to try the Twsbi mechanical pen: http://www.twsbi.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Mechanical-Pencil where the sleeve retracts (by you having to hold down the knock and then pushing the sleeve and the lead) but the mechanism doesn't.

Maybe you have to start questioning how hard you a pushing when you are using your mechanical pencils if you are finding "give" in so many of the best mechanical pencils.

If you hold on to the tip of your graphgear 1000, you can wobble it slightly.

I want none of that.

On FPN, all of us (hopefully) write with fountain pens. On most of my fountain pens that are not flex pens, I use as little pressure as possible.

But on my mechanical pencils, I have to use more pressure because the graphite has to be worn and ground into the paper to make a mark.

My Graphgear makes a small click noise as I write because every time it impacts the paper, the lead sleeve inner mechanism knocks with the outer shell.

The Promecha does a little bit better, but the tip still wobbles.

The Rotring 800 issue with the tip wobble is common among many other people who have reported the problem.

I just placed an order on Jetpens for the fancy Uni Shift Pipe Lock as well as other miscellaneous writing tools.

Have you considered softer lead if you feel the graphite isn't dark enough?

http://www.stationeryart.com/pencil-lead-05mm-c-47_49.html?osCsid=a8fc9211f4d9f9586b315cc61a3765c7

B, 2B or 4B are good choices, though they degrade quicker than normal HB. Quality of pencil lead could also play a large part in the need for pressure, are you using cheap generic brand supermarket lead or good quality pentel lead?

But whilst obviously there is more pressure needed to use mechanical pencils, it's still not as much as I am imagining you are using for this wobbling to be occurring to be causing you trouble.

Ultimately i guess there will always be a tiny bit of wobble on any non fixed mechanical pencil.

The now not regularly updated dave's mechanical pencil blog is a treasure trove of mechanical pencils:

http://davesmechanicalpencils.blogspot.com.au/

Edited by Ethereal Winter Wind

Have you tried the Super Promecha? I don't notice any wobble from mine.

Music, verily, is the mediator between intellectual and sensuous life, the one incorporeal entrance into the high world of knowledge which comprehends mankind but which mankind cannot comprehend. -Ludwig van Beethoven

Useful to know that Rotring 800 also has this little play. I was thinking of getting one. I am a happy owner of a Graphgear 1000, except for that.

Got a pair of zebra M-301 stainless steel mechanical pencils a few years ago for 4 bucks and the first one was so durable, I still have not gotten around to using the second one. A great 0.5 mechanical pencil for sure.

:thumbup:

P.S. its not retractable but putting your thumb on the lead while tapping the cap with the index finger of the other hand to push the lead back takes one second.

Edited by cellmatrix

Consider the Ohto Tasche. It is not retractable but it does not have to be since it is a capped pencil. For the same reason consider the Pentel Sharp Kerry.

My favorite retractable drafting pencils are:

Ohto Promecha

Ohto Super Promecha

Pentel Graphgear 1000

The Papermate Apex is also fully retractable but the sleeve may be a bit short for drafting work.

The "wobble" annoys me enough that I avoid sliding sleeves. I like rigid tips like my Pentel 203, 205, 207, 209. but I prefer a metal textured grip.

If your reason for a retractable tip is to prevent it from poking holes in your shirt pocket, try the Pentel Kerry. It has a rigid sleeve tip, but has a full cap like a fountain pen. I've used one forever (1980?) and still love it.

Qui me amat, amat et canem meum

Have you considered softer lead if you feel the graphite isn't dark enough?

http://www.stationeryart.com/pencil-lead-05mm-c-47_49.html?osCsid=a8fc9211f4d9f9586b315cc61a3765c7

B, 2B or 4B are good choices, though they degrade quicker than normal HB. Quality of pencil lead could also play a large part in the need for pressure, are you using cheap generic brand supermarket lead or good quality pentel lead?

But whilst obviously there is more pressure needed to use mechanical pencils, it's still not as much as I am imagining you are using for this wobbling to be occurring to be causing you trouble.

Ultimately i guess there will always be a tiny bit of wobble on any non fixed mechanical pencil.

The now not regularly updated dave's mechanical pencil blog is a treasure trove of mechanical pencils:

http://davesmechanicalpencils.blogspot.com.au/

I am fan of Dave's Mechanical Pencils blog and I agree, it is surely a treasure trove. I enjoy his reviews a lot.

I will buy some 2B lead for my next Jetpens order. Thanks for the tip

Have you tried the Super Promecha? I don't notice any wobble from mine.

Which model? There are a couple, and the higher numbers have so many gadget adjusters on them, which look very cool.

Useful to know that Rotring 800 also has this little play. I was thinking of getting one. I am a happy owner of a Graphgear 1000, except for that.

I actually have a Rotring 800 and it has some play; more than the Graphgear (but less click noises)

I second the recommendation of the TWSBI Precision RT. I've got one in 0.7 mm and it is a very solid and firm lead-holder.

I'm probably going to purchase this also; the design picture of the retractable tip makes it look very solid indeed.

Got a pair of zebra M-301 stainless steel mechanical pencils a few years ago for 4 bucks and the first one was so durable, I still have not gotten around to using the second one. A great 0.5 mechanical pencil for sure.

:thumbup:

P.S. its not retractable but putting your thumb on the lead while tapping the cap with the index finger of the other hand to push the lead back takes one second.

Found one in my drawer, will surely poke a hole in my pocket. It is however an excellent pencil for such a low price and very well built.

Consider the Ohto Tasche. It is not retractable but it does not have to be since it is a capped pencil. For the same reason consider the Pentel Sharp Kerry.

My favorite retractable drafting pencils are:

Ohto Promecha

Ohto Super Promecha

Pentel Graphgear 1000

The Papermate Apex is also fully retractable but the sleeve may be a bit short for drafting work.

I have a Promecha (is it 1000p?) that's retractable and it's surprisingly lightweight for a fully metal pencil; comfortable to use but exhibits the case of the wiggles.

The "wobble" annoys me enough that I avoid sliding sleeves. I like rigid tips like my Pentel 203, 205, 207, 209. but I prefer a metal textured grip.

If your reason for a retractable tip is to prevent it from poking holes in your shirt pocket, try the Pentel Kerry. It has a rigid sleeve tip, but has a full cap like a fountain pen. I've used one forever (1980?) and still love it.

I actually have a blue Pentel "Sharp Kerry" and it has a home in my right jean pocket daily. It's actually quite an excellent daily pencil, but I too prefer a metal textured grip.

Today, I curiously ordered a Rotring "Rapid Pro" to see Rotring's latest rendition of their famed drafting pencils (I have a beat up but working 600 in a drawer as well as the 800). I'll see what happens and maybe post a review of sorts

I will buy some 2B lead for my next Jetpens order. Thanks for the tip

I actually have a blue Pentel "Sharp Kerry" and it has a home in my right jean pocket daily. It's actually quite an excellent daily pencil, but I too prefer a metal textured grip.

Today, I curiously ordered a Rotring "Rapid Pro" to see Rotring's latest rendition of their famed drafting pencils (I have a beat up but working 600 in a drawer as well as the 800). I'll see what happens and maybe post a review of sorts

I also like the 2B lead.

I've seen the blue, red, green Kerry, but I think when I bought mine you could choose any color you wanted as long as you picked black.

My Pentel 200 series are a bit on the light side, but I always felt that the Rotrings were too heavy. This is my favorite to carry with a notepad - Sanford Pro-Touch II with 2B lead (later the Papermate Pro-Touch II, maybe discontinued by now).

http://episodefive.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/sanfordpt.jpg?w=590&h=442

Please do post reviews! I have all sorts of MP reviews in the index! :)

+1 on the review, I'd like to find another retractable that works. I have one that is almost perfect (smooth grip section but I still love it), it's probably 20+ years old and I don't know the model name, but it's a Pilot that works very much like the Vanishing Point pen. The fixed sleeve and base retract like a ballpoint by clicking the top.

Qui me amat, amat et canem meum

+1 for the TWSBI. My 0.5 RT is very solid and well made. Also, fast shipping from the TWSBI website.

I'll join the chorus of praise for the TWSBI Precision. I haven't found any play in it but I only use mine for general writing. It is a very attractive instrument with a barrel similar to the Rotring 600 and the clip of a Caran d'Ache 844/849. Good price, too.

Regarding the 2B leads, I doubt you can go too wrong with any of the premium 0.5 mm leads that JetPens sells. But as good as the Pentel Ain Stein and Uni Nano Dia leads are, I think the Tombow Mono-WX just might be the best of the bunch.

Edited by Kugelschreiber

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

~ George Orwell

You ask about retractable tip MPs but you favor the Pentel P205 which is fixed.

For fixed tip my favorite is the Pentel PG5. The PG5 was a 0.5mm pencil but there was a whole series in different sizes and features - Mechanica, PMG, PG2, PG4, PG5, PG7. I had a PG5 for over 20 years before I fell asleep during a boring lecture and dropped it tip down and bent the tube. It was so well used the chrome wore off the entire metal section and looked like frosted brass when it passed.

For the type that retracts into the barrel for storage, Pilot made a "Vanishing Point" pencil a few years ago. It did not look anything like the Pilot/Namiki VP FPs or BPs. The model number was - Pilot H1005 or PIL50028. They are still available NOS but usually above the original MSRP.

Another nice MP is the Pentel Kerry. It's sort of like the Pilot Long/Short FP. Capped, the pencil is shorter than most but when the cap is removed and when placed on the back the pencil becomes full size. The lead knock can be operated when the cap is on/off/or posted a very unique design and very comfortable. The only downside is that th lead tube is shorter than a true drafting pencil. It can be used with most templates, but not with thicker triangles.

I do drafting everyday, unfortunately mostly ACAD. When I need to do a quick sketch on paper, the Kerry and H1005 are my everyday pencils.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

-Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

How about trying out the Alvin Draftmatic mech. pencil? It comes in 0.5mm, 0.7mm and 0.9mm, and it was recommended to me by the guys at the School of Architecture of the Univ. of Michigan. I took a good look at mine ( a 0.9mm version) and it seemed to have no play in the area you mentioned. It is also not an expensive pencil, about $11.99 at the local art supply store.