My Collection Of Modern Cs Fountain Pens

MikeW

Mike, what's the filling mechanism on the Marlie? If it's a lever-filler, how well does it work? I have a modern 58 with a lever-filler and it works very well, but I've heard that CS has had problems with its early lever-fillers.

My vintage 58 lever is a real gem so I presume you mean the earlier 'modern' versions of that pen.

That is correct, I was referring to the earlier modern lever-fillers. All my vintage CS lever-fillers work splendidly; just wish the levers wouldn't brass so readily. Thanks for clarifying.

Bryan

"The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes." Winston S. Churchill

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MikeW

• goldenkrishna

• Rufus

• penpointer

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Bryan (Rufus),

I hope everything is good with you.

I just wanted to add my two cents to the discussion on lever-fillers. While I can't speak to the earlier modern lever fillers (I stayed away from them because of their less than stellar reputation), the lever on the "Marlie" works just fine. I understand that CS adopted "a new and improved inner mechanism for the lever fill versions that allows for an easier and more complete filling of the ink sac..." And there was no way that I was going to buy a black ebonite "Marlie" without a lever-filler - it wouldn't look right, at least imho.

As for the levers on the vintage pens, I have had several situations where the metal at the point where the straight portion of the lever attaches to the "lollipop" has weakened and bent, and a few have actually snapped off. Further, you can't replace the lever-filler, you have to replace the barrel. And, if you are lucky enough to find a barrel that matches the cap, there is no guarantee the cap will screw on the barrel ...

Cheers!

MikeW

Edited by MikeW

MikeW

"In the land of fountain pens, the one with the sweetest nib reigns supreme!"

Check out the London Pen Club.

Mike,

Your experience with levers on vintage CS's is disconcerting; I hope that I don't have this problem with my vintage CS's.

As concerns the Marlie, how does it compare in size with the Churchill, in terms of length uncapped and unposted, and diameter of the section? At yesterday's breakfast meeting I tried Churchill and found it too large for daily writing; perhaps it would work as a signature pen, but that's about it. The pens I find most comfortable as daily writers are the Pelikan 800/600 and the MB 146.

Bryan

"The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes." Winston S. Churchill

I have a modern 58 with a lever-filler and it works very well, but I've heard that CS has had problems with its early lever-fillers.

My vintage 58 lever is a real gem so I presume you mean the earlier 'modern' versions of that pen.

That is correct, I was referring to the earlier modern lever-fillers. All my vintage CS lever-fillers work splendidly; just wish the levers wouldn't brass so readily. Thanks for clarifying.

Mike,

Your experience with levers on vintage CS's is disconcerting; I hope that I don't have this problem with my vintage CS's.

Note that it seems to be a problem with older 'modern' CS lever-filling pens. Comments referring to proper 'vintage' models appear to confirm that they are still working satisfactorily.

My No 28, 58 and recently a No 60 are all functioning perfectly and as they are the same age as me or possibly a bit older, we can all be grateful for that. For reference, their nibs are all smoother and more pleasant to use that the newer ones that I bought, until I applied 'correction'. To the new ones of course.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

FYI, I have received information from another FPN member from the UK that explains how vintage CS levers can, in fact, be repaired:

CS levers are prone to breaking as you describe, usually because somebody has tried to lift the lever with a fossilised sac inside. This seems to happen especially on the post war pens but they are (relatively) a doddle to replace as long as you have the correct lever to slot back in from a donor barrel of the same model or from a friendly repairman's stock. Even I can do it so a proper repairer would have no problem!

First you have to remove the presser bar which, in most models you'll encounter, has a groove either side which engages with two lugs on the lever end. The presser bar is removed by grasping with a pair of thin nose pliers and pulling out firmly. It's worth taking some time to have a good look at how it fits onto the lever before you remove it fully, it will help you when refitting it.

To remove the remains of the old lever, lift the shaft so it is at 90 degrees to the barrel, grab it with a pair of thin nose pliers and twist through 90 degrees while pushing down on the lever. The lever pivots on a split ring which is held in a shallow groove inside the barrel. Pushing down and twisting will jerk the ring out of the groove and a full 90 degree twist will bring the ring in line with the cut-out so you can just lift the assembly out. Replacing the new lever is just the reverse operation, though it will be slightly more fiddly and you need to be careful not to mark the new lever with the pliers. The old split rings are often rusty and if you can use a new ring (again a standard repair part) so much the better. Make sure the replacement lever is for exactly the same model - even though externally some levers will look the same size, you'll find the pivot holes are drilled differently. Occasionally, you may need to use a right angled dental pick to clear out any dried ink from the groove before refitting. Try it on an old barrel, you'll be surprised how easy it is! Some people alternatively suggest using a piece of cotton threaded onto the new lever and through the cut-out to pull the new lever up into the cut-out from the end of the barrel so that it is roughly in place on the inside before twisting it round again and wriggling the ring into the groove, you may find this easier.

When refitting the presser bar, use the pliers to slide the bar onto the lever lugs again. There will be a raised part of the bar that acts as a stop so you shouldn't be able to push it on too far.

MikeW

Mike,

As concerns the Marlie, how does it compare in size with the Churchill, in terms of length uncapped and unposted, and diameter of the section? At yesterday's breakfast meeting I tried Churchill and found it too large for daily writing; perhaps it would work as a signature pen, but that's about it. The pens I find most comfortable as daily writers are the Pelikan 800/600 and the MB 146.

Bryan

I posted a correction about the ability to replace vintage levers so that should lessen your concern, I think.

The Marlie is sufficiently smaller than the Churchill that I am sure that it would fit your hand nicely and it is substantially lighter than both the Churchill and Pelikan 800 such that I am sure it could be one of your daily writers. The CS measurements are from here:

CHURCHILL

Closed: 146 mm - Posted 181 mm

Barrel incl nib 138 mm - Cap 70 mm

Barrel Diam 15 mm - Cap Diam 17.5 mm

Weight 29.6 gms

MARLBOROUGH

Closed: 133 mm - Posted 180 mm

Barrel including nib 126 mm - Cap 64 mm

Cap diameter 15 mm - Barrel diameter 13 mm

Weight 18 gms

As for the Pelikan 800, my rough measurements for it are:

Closed: 141mm - Posted: 162 mm

Barrel including nib 128 mm

Barrel diameter 13.3mm

Weight 30g

I hope that helps!

Cheers!

MikeW

MikeW

• 3 weeks later...

What a super collection, how I love CS pens.

Of your collection my two favorites are the Dandy in Amber and best of all the 100 in Bronze. I have looked for a 100 with a broad nib for a long time, people do not seem to sell them, they seem as rare as hens teeth.

What a super collection, how I love CS pens.

Of your collection my two favorites are the Dandy in Amber and best of all the 100 in Bronze. I have looked for a 100 with a broad nib for a long time, people do not seem to sell them, they seem as rare as hens teeth.

Thanks Brian!

I acquired the Dandy from a member of my pen club who had owned it for several years; however, he would not write with it because it was too nice. :huh: :huh: :huh: Once the trade was agreed to, I immediately inked it up but tormented him by not allowing him to write with it...for just long enough while it was funny!

I recently acquired the 100 in bronze through the FPN classifieds. I think that a few other FPNers were also interested in it but wanted to wait for the selling price to be lowered. I might have saved a few bucks if I waited as well but it was also possible that I could have missed out on it so I grabbed it as soon as I saw it. Besides,I thought the pen was being offered at a reasonable price as it was!

Cheers!

MikeW

MikeW

• 2 weeks later...

You need the White Casein, wink, wink

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n175/weissela/David%20Oscarson/th_nibovercapII.jpg[/url]

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Congrats for your collection! Very nice.

I own a Marlborough Vintage too, which has become one of my favourite pens. I really love that pen. I also own a Chartwell that you might want to try out. Very nice pen also.

Somehow I thought I would use the Chartwell more than the Marlborough, but at the end, I've put the Chartwell's italic 1.1 on the Marlborough, and now I use this one more, almost daily. I have reviewed both of them, if you want to check out my reviews.

My Marlborough is the black ebonite lever filler. What's yours? I would love the eyedropper's capacity, but the lever is awesome, so I'm not complaining :)

- Markos

This is a superb collection. Congrats!

What ink are you using with your EF nib? I use Mont Blanc Irish Green ink in my Wellington and I find it too wet for my taste.

Cheers,

Pierre

This is a superb collection. Congrats!

What ink are you using with your EF nib? I use Mont Blanc Irish Green ink in my Wellington and I find it too wet for my taste.

Thanks. I actually don't write with the EF - I would actually like to sell both 58s that I have because they are too small for me. I should note that when dipping the EF, it wrote a line that seemed no different than the F. Perhaps it was the fact that I dipped the pens vs. writing isthmus the ink supplied by a converter.

MikeW

MikeW

Congrats for your collection! Very nice.

I own a Marlborough Vintage too, which has become one of my favourite pens. I really love that pen. I also own a Chartwell that you might want to try out. Very nice pen also.

Somehow I thought I would use the Chartwell more than the Marlborough, but at the end, I've put the Chartwell's italic 1.1 on the Marlborough, and now I use this one more, almost daily. I have reviewed both of them, if you want to check out my reviews.

My Marlborough is the black ebonite lever filler. What's yours? I would love the eyedropper's capacity, but the lever is awesome, so I'm not complaining :)

Sorry for my delay on responding to your comments. My Marlborough is the black ebonite filler as well. I considered the other filling options but decided that the black ebonite model needed a lever to complete the vintage look that his model deserved.

MikeW

MikeW

Congratulation, Mike, to this impressive collection.

I just started with CS pens and I am happy with mine, all IM and IB nibs. Nice pens, perfect writers....

Cheers,

Volker

Thanks. I agree with you about the italic nibs - any CS pen that I order now will have an IM or IB nib.

MikeW

MikeW

• 1 month later...

Hello MikeW,

Thanks for sharing this lovely collection. I think the Winston should be added to your collection.

I'll order a Winston myself tomorrow.

With love,

goldenkrishna

Ik tik

Thank you!

In fact, a Winston Chartwell is on its way to me from Bryant!!

Cheers!

MikeW

MikeW

Thank you!

In fact, a Winston Chartwell is on its way to me from Bryant!!

Cheers!

MikeW

Congratulations MikeW, but what is a Winston Chartwell?

With love,

goldenkrishna

Ik tik

Excellent thread Mike...some great info on the moderns, and what a wonderful collection. A real treasure trove. :thumbup: