The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Quick Question About Ammonia

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 DanielCoffey

DanielCoffey

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2012 - 16:28

When using Ammonia to help remove ink residues, what dilution should I be aiming at?

I have a bottle of Kleen Off Household Ammonia 9-10% here. Do I use it straight at that strength or dilute it further?

Also, for modern pens, how long do you soak a clogged section for?

Thanks.

Sponsored Content

#2 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,864 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2012 - 16:32

Folks say use a non sudsing household ammonia at a ratio of 10% ammonia 90% water. I soak until I can't see any color coming out in the water. If you have a way to push the solution through the section it will clean up faster.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#3 DanielCoffey

DanielCoffey

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,208 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2012 - 16:45

So it looks like I just use this Household Ammonia straight from the bottle then as it is 10% already.

#4 Lloyd

Lloyd

Can a nib be smoothed by psychokinesis?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts
  • Location:Trapped inside of a snowglobe that is resting upon a mantel in a home in Massachusetts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 17:02

So it looks like I just use this Household Ammonia straight from the bottle then as it is 10% already.

Yes. In reality, you want a 1:100 dilution of PURE ammonia to water.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
Oscar Wilde

#5 DanielCoffey

DanielCoffey

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,208 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2012 - 17:08

Er, now I am confused Lloyd. Do we want 10% diluted ammonia or 1% diluted ammonia as you suggested?

#6 OcalaFlGuy

OcalaFlGuy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2012 - 17:43

You want a 10% of that bottle to 90% water.

I sometimes bump it up to 20% for a really nasty pen but that's just me.

1 part from the bottle to 10 parts water will in fact give you a 1:100 total dilution.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

#7 DanielCoffey

DanielCoffey

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,208 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2012 - 17:55

Gotcha, thanks!

#8 OldGriz

OldGriz

I Assimilated The Borg

• Remembered Fondly
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,163 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2012 - 18:42

NO NO NO.... you want of 10% solution of the bottled ammonia with water.... not the pure bottled ammonia and no water....
IGNORE the fact the bottle says it is a 10% ammonia solution....
TomPosted Image
A veteran is someone who wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
That is Honor, and there are way too many people in This country who no longer understand it.

#9 Beechwood

Beechwood

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,199 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 19:04

Your product is made by Jeyes. I have looked at their website and cannot see this product mentionned, there may be other stuff in the mix.

Can I suggest that you go to Boots and buy some Ammonia, its cheap and ready to dilute, 1 tablespoon to 9 of water.

How many people does it take to comment on a question on FPN? One to give advice and make suggestions. Another one to repeat everything that the first poster has said. Fourteen to share their own experiences of their pens and comment on how the original advice was flawed. Seven who just want to increase their post count. One to say that they have no regrets about doing anything and people should follow their example. Another to say that if there is anything wrong with the pen it is just down to using Diamine Shimmer ink. Six to argue over whether its a worth doing anything with it and the OP should just throw it away and buy their Parker 51. One to ignore who uses 'I' four times in each post. Another six to condemn all of the above as being  stupid and anyway they would rather be on FP Geeks. One to say that the pen is cheaper where they live. Five people to post pics of their own pens. One to say that if the OP had Faith then the pen would work - and gets banned very quickly. Finally, one to close down the thread because it has lost its way.

#10 DanielCoffey

DanielCoffey

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,208 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2012 - 20:13

Here is the data sheet : http://www.caswellsg...al/97/40497.pdf

I understand the dilution now, thanks. One part of Household Ammonia with 9 water making a 1% Ammonia solution.

Edited by DanielCoffey, 26 June 2012 - 20:14.

#11 Richard

Richard

WWII Warbird Fan

• Member - Gold

• 4,394 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:11

1 tablespoon to 9 of water.

I've always recommended a 1:10 solution, not 1:9. A quick and easy measure is 1 tablespoon ammonia to 2/3 cup of water. (This is actually about 1:10.5, but it works fine.)
Click to send email: richard@richardspens.com
Posted Image

#12 Beechwood

Beechwood

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,199 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 17:06

1 tablespoon to 9 of water.

I've always recommended a 1:10 solution, not 1:9. A quick and easy measure is 1 tablespoon ammonia to 2/3 cup of water. (This is actually about 1:10.5, but it works fine.)

Given the variability of a cup dimensions and what that means in the UK I think that my advice to the UK enquirer of measurements in tablespoonfuls, a standard and recognised measure in the UK was best advice, ok 1:9 v 1:10 maybe, the world isnt going to end is it?

How many people does it take to comment on a question on FPN? One to give advice and make suggestions. Another one to repeat everything that the first poster has said. Fourteen to share their own experiences of their pens and comment on how the original advice was flawed. Seven who just want to increase their post count. One to say that they have no regrets about doing anything and people should follow their example. Another to say that if there is anything wrong with the pen it is just down to using Diamine Shimmer ink. Six to argue over whether its a worth doing anything with it and the OP should just throw it away and buy their Parker 51. One to ignore who uses 'I' four times in each post. Another six to condemn all of the above as being  stupid and anyway they would rather be on FP Geeks. One to say that the pen is cheaper where they live. Five people to post pics of their own pens. One to say that if the OP had Faith then the pen would work - and gets banned very quickly. Finally, one to close down the thread because it has lost its way.

#13 Richard

Richard

WWII Warbird Fan

• Member - Gold

• 4,394 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2012 - 20:40

Given the variability of a cup dimensions and what that means in the UK...

A standard measuring cup is 16 tablespoons = 236.6 cc.
Click to send email: richard@richardspens.com
Posted Image

Sponsored Content

|