Russian/cryllic Script

SarahBalderdash

I have a Russian course coming up in September for University, and I'm attempting to learn Russian cursive before class starts. This has proven rather difficult, because I can't find a whole lot on cursive at all, either in hard copy or on the internet, this is what I have thus far:

http://talktotolstoy.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/russian-alphabet1.jpg

But it doesn't help me all that much. Is there a Russian equivelant of "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog?"

Do you have any resources that could aid in my learning this summer? Thanks all!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Miles R.

• Santak

• unvoleurderoses

• SarahBalderdash

I have a Russian course coming up in September for University, and I'm attempting to learn Russian cursive before class starts. This has proven rather difficult, because I can't find a whole lot on cursive at all, either in hard copy or on the internet, this is what I have thus far:

But it doesn't help me all that much. Is there a Russian equivelant of "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog?"

Do you have any resources that could aid in my learning this summer? Thanks all!

There is a short section in "The World Encyclopedia of Calligraphy" by Christopher Calderhead on Cyrillic script both an uncial and a cursive version with exemplars of each letter.

Hope this helps.

Is there a Russian equivelant of "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog?"

Those sentences with all the letters of the alphabet are called pangram or Панграмма

Каждая буква по одному разу (each letter only once):

• Любя, съешь щипцы, — вздохнёт мэр, — кайф жгуч.
  • Шеф взъярён тчк щипцы с эхом гудбай Жюль.
  • Эй, жлоб! Где туз? Прячь юных съёмщиц в шкаф.
  • Экс-граф? Плюш изъят. Бьём чуждый цен хвощ!
  • Эх, чужак! Общий съём цен шляп (юфть) — вдрызг!
  • Эх, чужд кайф, сплющь объём вши, грызя цент.
  • Чушь: гид вёз кэб цапф, юный жмот съел хрящ.

List of pangrams in all languages

and

a song made out of panagrammatic windows, stretches of naturally occurring text that contains all the letters in the alphabet.

Edited by VillersCotterets

• 6 months later...

Здесь фабула объять не может всех эмоций — шепелявый скороход в юбке тащит горячий мёд.

or

Художник-эксперт с компьютером всего лишь яйца в объёмный низкий ящик чохом фасовал.

Russian is my mother language, I can help you to learn it. If you have any problem in Russian language, feel free to contact me at the Skype: antinational , or just send to me a message in this forum.

Write and enjoy the process.

• 5 weeks later...

Can someone comment on this sample of my Cyrillic handwriting? The text should be familiar to Russophones (I add line numbers for reference):

01 He мысля гордый свет забавить,

02 Вниманье дружбы возлюбя,

03 Хотел бы я тебе представить

04 Залог достойнее тебя,

05 Достойнее души прекрасной,

06 Святой исполненной мечты,

07 Поэзии живой и ясной,

08 Высоких дум и простоты;

09 Но так и быть — рукой пристрастной

10 Прими собранье пестрых глав,

11 Полу-смешных, полу-печальных,

12 Простонародных, идеальных,

13 Небрежный плод моих забав,

14 Бессонниц, легких вдохновений,

15 Незрелых и увядших лет,

16 Ума холодных наблюдений

17 И сердца горестных замет.

fpn_1359330820__onegin_handwritten.jpg

I am mostly self-taught in my Russian handwriting, so I don't know if I am omitting marks that are necessary for legibility or adding marks that interfere with intelligibility (is it okay to have an upstroke on an initial small и, or does that make it look to much like an м?). I also wonder if there are ways of connecting letters that I have written separately. I have, in general, an aversion to pen-lifts: when I write in roman, I only go back to dot the i's and j's; all other small letters, including t and x, I write with an unbroken movement. But in Cyrillic, it looks as if there is no way to join a small б to a character following it, and it seems to be necessary to lift the pen between an o and a following letter that begins with a little hook, such as an л or an м.

I find it very difficult to read my own handwriting in Cyrillic, no matter how neatly I write, unless I separate the characters: once the characters are joined, I find it difficult to distinguish tell where one ends and another begins. For instance, as far as I can tell, it is impossible to distinguish between ши and иш in cursive. My difficulty may be simply due to the fact that I do not speak or read the language with even rudimentary competence, despite dozens of hours spent trying to learn it, so I have to decipher most words letter by letter rather than read them as wholes.

Hi there. I don't know russian but I learn serbian and try to write with the cyrillic cursive which has a lot of similarities with the russian one.

I write almost the way that you do so your writing is very legible to me.

I also had this problem with б and it seems to me that the best solution is not to connect it with the next letter. I have seen examples where it is connected with the next letter with the usual upstroke but I didn't really like it.

I also have the same problem with o. If I have to connect it with a letter that starts with an upstroke, I don't make the upstroke and just keep the o's "horn". When there is an л after the o, I don't connect beacuse the horn is too high. The same thing I do with letters that come after в.

And one question. Do you connect a capital У with a ч?

Edited by unvoleurderoses

Hi there. I don't know russian but I learn serbian and try to write with the cyrillic cursive which has a lot of similarities with the russian one.

I also had this problem with б and it seems to me that the best solution is not to connect it with the next letter. I have seen examples where it is connected with the next letter with the usual upstroke but I didn't really like it.

I also have the same problem with o. If I have to connect it with a letter that starts with an upstroke, I don't make the upstroke and just keep the o's "horn". When there is an л after the o, I don't connect beacuse the horn is too high. The same thing I do with letters that come after в.

Yes, they are connected. Every letter of Cyrillic handwriting may be connected.

Write and enjoy the process.

Yes, that is just my problem with o. Writing Уч connected should not be a problem. Perhaps the model of Cyrillic script from which you learned illustrated ч by having it start in mid-air, as in this model (from Masterrussian.com): http://masterrussian.com/graphics/alph_ch.jpg

Unless it is in initial position, I write the small ч exactly the same as a cursive roman r, starting from the base line. So there is no difficulty in writing, say, the capitalized word Учить thus: fpn_1359485945__uchit_100.jpg

Yes, they are connected. Every letter of Cyrillic handwriting may be connected.

Really? Please explain--or better, illustrate--how one can connect a small б to a following letter, or how you can connect a small o to a following м or л without making the o look like an a. Here is an illustration of what happens when I try to do that:

fpn_1359486221__cursive_om_ol.jpg

Despite my best efforts, the letter-combinations ом and ол become indistinguishable from ам and ал when the tail of the o is connected to the base hook of the following letter.

I just checked my language course and there is an example with о and л connected. They are written the regular way but so close together that the tail of the o touches the upper part of the л and this is supposed to be the connection.

About the б, I didn't explain it very good, you can see it in my other thread about cyrillic here

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/238168-newbie-interested-in-cyrillic-cursive/

In any case б seems much cleaner to me when not connected with the next letter.

I also found this that might help with the russian cyrillic.

http://www.google.gr/imgres?hl=el&client=firefox-a&sa=X&tbo=d&rls=org.mozilla:el:official&gbv=2&biw=1113&bih=634&tbm=isch&tbnid=TP71S3bdyw8FZM:&imgrefurl=http://sochi-privet.livejournal.com/6388.html&docid=L42mmNECZgs_HM&imgurl=http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/5969/kirilica004.jpg&w=1049&h=1151&ei=xEQIUcKHAcKc0AXchYGwBw&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:10,s:0,i:109&iact=rc&dur=488&sig=110938253236983275504&page=1&tbnh=177&tbnw=161&start=0&ndsp=16&tx=75&ty=104