#692 my63

my63

Antique

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2014 - 19:03

I can see now those pieces inside are the dividers inside the pen tray area. The wood that is upright looks to be too thick it should be very thin about 1/16 of an inch. I get replacement wood from a model shop it can be cut with a sharp pair of scissors. There should be grooves in the front and sides for it to slot into.

This picture shows the grooves in one of my slopes

7563573414_31e12b66ca_z.jpg
IMG_1538 by my0771, on Flickr

As you can see they do not always go right to the bottom

9838827803_aaf2d260e5_z.jpg
IMG_4927 by my0771, on Flickr

If you look on the inside edge there is an extra piece of wood this is what the writing surface sits on.

I hope that helps if you have any questions please ask.

Michael

#693 Kosmic-kowgirl

Kosmic-kowgirl

She's, you know, artsy

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2014 - 22:44

there is writing on one of the dividers, the large one with a handle "In a land of fear and discord John William's love...." Im unable to decipher the rest cuz it's been rubbed out but there is more to it so just love that bit. The little pieces are the same thickness as the big one. I can only see one mark where wood might have been attatched, on the left side of my pic there's a scuff in that corner. Without the wood that is glued on, the panel on top would flop down, but the space it creates is still too wide for the handle piece. So Im not sure where any of it goes but it is glued to the bottom half of the box

~Kate 

my blog  http://brusheswithpaints.blogspot.com/  

#694 my63

my63

Antique

• 1,517 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 June 2014 - 14:32

If you look at the second picture I posted there is a long centre compartment this is where pens would be kept sometimes they have a lid that is what you have the lid.

Someone has replaced the insides with heavier wood.

If it has been glued in with modern glue it will be very difficult to remove.

It might be possible to put another thin piece inside that thicker piece to allow you to fit inkwell slots and a pen tray.

I hope that makes sense.

Your Armoire looks fantastic btw

Michael

Edited by my63, 29 June 2014 - 14:35.

#695 Kosmic-kowgirl

Kosmic-kowgirl

She's, you know, artsy

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 June 2014 - 16:33

Thank you for all your help Micheal! Given it's sentimental value and my inexperience with woodworking Im scared to ruin it trying. The glue is 25 years old, my dad put it in, does that count as a modern glue? What do you reccomend to keep t from cracking? The top is starting to 'wrinkle' and I'd like to halt that. Thank you for the compliment on the Armoire, I just finished a little Secretary to match it ;) 

~Kate 

#696 my63

my63

Antique

• 1,517 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 June 2014 - 19:21

From what I can see I cannot tell if it is a paint finish or some sort of transfer.

It may well be the wood drying out underneath the top finish that is causing the cracking.

If you want my advice as it is a family piece I would suggest that you contact an expert local to you I would hate to give you information that would spoil such an heirloom.

Michael

#697 Kosmic-kowgirl

Kosmic-kowgirl

She's, you know, artsy

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 June 2014 - 20:24

0627141258.jpg     I hope this is a better pic, my fon isnt the best. Im guessing it's a decal or decoupage because there is a crackle finish on it and nowhere else, and where the crack is, it is beige like there's paper underneath. I do appreciate all your advice you've given, thanks so much!

~Kate