Private Reserve Avocado

saskia_madding

I was curious about this ink because of my deep love of Sailor's Tokiwa-Matsu. I haven't managed to get around to doing a comparison yet, but I will. In the meantime, I totally love this ink!

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/Ink%20reviews/Private%20Reserve/DSC09858.jpg

It's a really deep, dark, rich green. It looks really ... organic, if that makes sense.

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/Ink%20reviews/Private%20Reserve/DSC09860.jpg

This ink is really nicely behaved and looks great on all types of paper.

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/Ink%20reviews/Private%20Reserve/DSC09859.jpg

The only thing that would make this ink even better is a sheen of red/gold. But no dice! Still, ths shading is great.

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/Ink%20reviews/Private%20Reserve/DSC09865.jpg

Many more pictures in my photobucket album here.

Edited by saskia_madding

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ghost Plane

• saskia_madding

• Newjelan

• georges zaslavsky

Nice color! Thanks for the review.

This color reminds me of Sailor Epinard, a deep dark green. I have an Edison Huron in Emerald filled with Epinard. Nice combination of pen and ink.

Change is not mandatory, Survival is not required.

When I first heard the name I though "inside of an avacado" color and though eew! But this is more like the deep green on the outside and I believe I like it!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

This might be a competitor of the discontinued Monte Blanc British Racing green...

I like the shading as well.

M.

This is an excellent ink - it definitely reminds me of the skin of an avocado.

Currently using:Too many pens inked to list, I must cut back! :) I can guarantee there are flighters, urushi, and/or Sheaffer Vac-fillers in the mix!!!

Goes beautifully with a MB Dumas. :thumbup:

Like the other PR inks, this ink takes extra rinsing. But it's well behaved as long as you keep it out of light colored pens.

Avacado is one of the few PR inks that I'm fond of. I love the yellow undertone.

It's close to tokiwa matsu, but I find it to be a brighter, more saturated color (no surprise, given that it is from Private Reserve) and has more yellow to it. As you say, it lacks the sheen that tokiwa matsu can show.

Another of my faves and definitely my favorite green, though I love Sailor Epinard too. I like my leafy green veggies, I guess ;)

Tamara

Hmm. Looks as if I should think about ordering a sample. Like pakmanpony I was expecting the color to be like the innards, not the skin. It's not super dark, and it has enough character to the color to pique my interest (I had tried Diamine Kelly Green based on some of the reviews I saw, but found that it was mostly too light a color for my taste). This might be more of what i'm looking for in a green -- not a flat color, and the hint of yellow.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I like this green. It is bolder than the limes and kellys I have been using. Even though I do not write with green (I use it for drawing diagrams), the shading is nice, and may inspire me to write letters in green too.

It is one of the very best inks from private

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the review ... I went to Paradise and picked it up ... Nice shade of green ...

I like it too. I have been using/testing a lot of greens lately. I own this one, and very soon I will be inking one of my flexies with it.

An eye for insignificant details is a good sign you will do just fine in medical school...

As a sharp wit and powerful sarcasm is a sign that you already have.

Somebody

I recently purchased a sample of Avocado (from FPN member paperskater, who provides excellent service BTW) and I also am a big fan. The yellow shading differentiates it in a very positive way from several other dark greens I have tried. I'll be getting a bottle as soon as my sample runs out.

When I first heard the name I though "inside of an avacado" color and though eew! But this is more like the deep green on the outside and I believe I like it!

Funny! I was just eating avocado yesterday and thinking, "what awesome shades for ink!", though mostly too light for legibility. I think it's the gradients of colour that appealed to me; chopped leeks are even more exciting...

I have this ink too - it's an interesting colour - not too bright and not at all dull - currently using for everyday work notes and really enjoying it.

I also thought that the color was gonna be like the pulp fron an avocado. I do like it being like the skin of that fruit/veggie.

Manny D.

The only thing that would make this ink even better is a sheen of red/gold. But no dice! Still, ths shading is great.

You might give Sailor Epinard a try then. Avacado and Epinard are two of my favorite greens.

Music, verily, is the mediator between intellectual and sensuous life, the one incorporeal entrance into the high world of knowledge which comprehends mankind but which mankind cannot comprehend. -Ludwig van Beethoven

• 1 year later...