Noodler's Konrad

irish_monk

I just received a Noodler's Konrad in Roaring 20's Tortoise. I gave it the standard rinse with ammonia and water. Filled it up....hard starter....wrote three words....ink gushed out. Tried again... same thing. I unscrewed the piston mechanism to check the seals, lubricant, etc. Everything looked good. Put a bit more silicone on to replace what was lost fiddling with it. Back together and filled it up. Gusher. Pulled the nib/feed for inspection and gave the feed a good cleaning. Back together (the section doesn't really provide a very secure grip on the feed in my opinion) Guess what? Gusher. So I pull the piston out and run a light down the barrel looking at the feed. There is light pouring out around between the nib/feed and the walls of the section. No matter how I positioned the nib/feed there was always a gap running all the way around. I pulled the nib/feed out and checked for the air tightness of the barrel by trying to blow through it and by seeing if it will hold water when the feed is out and the section is pointing down. Passed those tests. I'm working under the assumption that the section gap is the only culprit. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

post-1057-0-12448300-1340036115.jpg

"A man's maturity consists in having found again the seriousness one had as a child, at play."

Friedrich Nietzsche

kelsonbarber.wordpress.com

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pe2dave

• mhosea

• irish_monk

• Scrawler

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have you thought about just sending it back to the seller ? if you bought it New that is?

I probably will. I just wondered if any gurus had any fix-it ideas.

"A man's maturity consists in having found again the seriousness one had as a child, at play."

Friedrich Nietzsche

You could try heat setting the nib/feed. Simmer some water, place the feed in the water for about 30-40 seconds to allow it to warm up and become slightly pliable. Then place the nib back over the feed and insert everything back into the section. The heat causes the ebonite to expand slightly and fixed the problem I had with my Konrad. If that doesn't work I would return the pen.

Heat setting using this method is what Nathan Tardiff recommends for feeds that have a gap.

Thank you so much for this thread, irish_monk!

You made my day! I finally found the reason why my Konrad leaks like a sieve! :gaah:

Clever idea to stick a light in the barrel from the rear :thumbup:

I had exactly the same problem like you - checked with a light and voilà, same problem.

Also thank you, fair isle, for the suggestions how to fix the problem! Will try this on the weekend :)

Happy happy now that I know there might be a loving relationship coming up between my Konrad an me :cloud9:

Cheers!

Got a replacement from the seller. Same problem. Sorry Noodlers, two times is my limit.

Friedrich Nietzsche

My first Konrad would sometimes drop an ink blob. The flex nib is interesting, but I didn't care all that much for it. Ostensibly my pens are for pedestrian activities like mathematics, and while it is fun enough to make an ornate integral sign, it isn't actually useful to do so. Consequently, I wanted to transform them into more regular sorts of pens. I have two Konrads now, and neither have the original flex nibs. One has a Knox K35 medium and the other a Knox K35 fine. I spent several iterations with each before I got the feed to match the nib properly. I was aiming for the slight gap that would just accommodate a thin piece of paper between the nib and feed at the end. Now both pens are great, no problems at all.

I actually think the Noodler's nibs don't fit the grip sections all that well, especially if they are inserted too far in, but with the Konrad cap design, you can't leave them out very far, either, or they'll contact the end of the cap when you screw it down, so you're kind of between a rock and hard place.

I had the nib from my Jinhao 159 in one of them for awhile, pushed a bit far in, and it deformed the grip section a bit from being slightly large and pushed a bit too far in. It worked well, but the Jinhao nib was too broad for my taste. It was a little bit difficult to switch it to the slightly slimmer Knox K35 nib at first, but after adjusting the feed to the nib, I tightly wrapped the grip section several times around with 3M Temflex rubber tape and gave it a couple of days to conform. This seemed to work. I just carefully cut off the now-solid rubber ring (a matter of not cutting all the way through and tearing the last little bit).

I don't know if this technique can help you, subsequent to making sure the feed is well-matched to the nib. It isn't anything I'd ever read, but it seemed like a good idea that could do no harm. 3M Temflex rubber tape is available from major hardware stores as an electrical supply and isn't very expensive, a few dollars.

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

Geez, sorry for your bad luck. I too have bad luck with Noodlers... but their ink. They all tend to be bad smearing inks for me. After 3 different bottles I gave up. I pay alittle more now for iroshizuku, couldn't be happier.

Edited by k4dm0nky

They all tend to be bad smearing inks for me.

I suppose there might be some things that all, or nearly all, Noodler's colors have in common, other than the bottles per se, but I confess that after trying a couple dozen colors or more, I don't actually know what it is.

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

• 4 months later...

A 'me too' post.

Different fix for me.

New Noodlers Konrad, my second. The problem? With any one of 8 inks

and 120gms paper it flooded the paper with bad show through on the

other side. I couldn't find any adjustment that affected it. Bought

from Goulet Pens I asked Brian for help. He told me Nathan Tardis said there

was nothing to be done.

I like the pen, but running out after two or three sides of A4? Not

on. With nothing to lose I started fiddling. Having nothing better I

started to block the ink channel with blue tac, the end to end slot on

the top side of the feed. After three attempts the flow is now wet,

but not flooding and not wasting ink. I realised I needed ink flow, so

left a channel in the feed, created using a very fine jewellers

screwdriver. I'd seen Nathan making a pen wetter by widening this

channel so figured it might work in reverse. In the end, I also

blocked (slightly and inadvertently) the end of the slots going round

the feed.

When re-assembling I found the nib+feed very tight in the barrel, I

experimented and found that wearing latex gloves (very thin, as per

mechanics or surgeons) gave me better grip to adjust the nib to feed

alignment. Without near perfect axial alignment (end of feed to slit)

the pen is totally dry, so this is not a perfect solution. But it

works and gives me a second Konrad which is currently my goto.

For a guess, I blocked up over half the space in the slot (which I

suspect had been overcut). Yours may need more, or less!

I have taken a photo, but it doesn't show very well.

HTH

It seems Nathan has a producibility issue.

Brian (Goulet) points me to this video which explains (to some extent) his rationale behind this design.

Tried that. Shaped with heat. Blocked the hole in the end of the feed. Still wet as a wet thing. Sorry Nathan, your quote sums it up. "If you want a pen that works out of the box, don't buy Noodlers" I won't anymore.

HTH

Edited by pe2dave

----------------------------

Cambs, UK

http://www.dpawson.co.uk

My Konrad does not leak or have any problem with the feed/nib seal. It does however have a problem with the piston. If I do not hold the top of the pen in a peculiar manner while filling, the piston actuator unscrews, instead of driving the piston. I have not yet had a mess as a result, but I think it is just matter of time. This is a shame because I like the hard edges and mild flex of the nib.

A 'me too' post.

Different fix for me.

New Noodlers Konrad, my second. The problem? With any one of 8 inks

and 120gms paper it flooded the paper with bad show through on the

other side. I couldn't find any adjustment that affected it. Bought

from Goulet Pens I asked Brian for help. He told me Nathan Tardis said there

was nothing to be done.

I like the pen, but running out after two or three sides of A4? Not

on. With nothing to lose I started fiddling. Having nothing better I

started to block the ink channel with blue tac, the end to end slot on

the top side of the feed. After three attempts the flow is now wet,

but not flooding and not wasting ink. I realised I needed ink flow, so

left a channel in the feed, created using a very fine jewellers

screwdriver. I'd seen Nathan making a pen wetter by widening this

channel so figured it might work in reverse. In the end, I also

blocked (slightly and inadvertently) the end of the slots going round

the feed.

When re-assembling I found the nib+feed very tight in the barrel, I

experimented and found that wearing latex gloves (very thin, as per

mechanics or surgeons) gave me better grip to adjust the nib to feed

alignment. Without near perfect axial alignment (end of feed to slit)

the pen is totally dry, so this is not a perfect solution. But it

works and gives me a second Konrad which is currently my goto.

For a guess, I blocked up over half the space in the slot (which I

suspect had been overcut). Yours may need more, or less!

I have taken a photo, but it doesn't show very well.

HTH

It seems Nathan has a producibility issue.

Brian (Goulet) points me to this video which explains (to some extent) his rationale behind this design.

Tried that. Shaped with heat. Blocked the hole in the end of the feed. Still wet as a wet thing. Sorry Nathan, your quote sums it up. "If you want a pen that works out of the box, don't buy Noodlers" I won't anymore.

OK. I have watched Nathans video three times now. I do wish he would get better lighting! I owe him an apology. Third time lucky? I have now used the 'heat treatment' over a candle, three times. Lessons were learned.

1. Greater heat than Nathans 'tiki burner'. Work about 4 inches or more above a small candle flame. Watch out for burned fingers. At that temperature the fine end of the feed will start to melt/smoke. Hold that end when working the body, and keep even higher when warming the fine end closest to the nib point.

2. You will feel the feed flex. Not much, but very clear indication. Be patient. It seems to go stiff stiff stiff bang it can be felt. Likely a property of the material. Keep rotating it to heat it evenly.

I did not try hot water, other than tap water, which seemed insufficient. YMMV and it's likely safer than a candle.

3. I like his bubble test (watch the video). Fine if you have a demonstrator, or (my case) the tortoise, which has a small clear section where you can see the bubbles. Look for a fine stream, not course big bubbles, which I guess is the source of my ink blobs, i.e. the pressure suddenly eases, a big bubble goes up above the ink and a gush of ink spoils my page.

Two pens treated this way now. Both are much better behaved.

I apologise Nathan, for doubting you and your skills.

Dave

Cambs, UK

I had the same problem as the original poster. One problem followed another and I ended up getting a metal piece (long story) stuck in the section, which took forever to get out, with a lot of scraping at the inside of the barrel. (This is the demonstrator, so the marks are ugly and visible.) Once I got everything apart again, I was still left with the original problem, which I just can't seem to fix. Now I have a gap, but no flow. This is brand new-ordered two weeks ago and inked once before the repair attempt started--but now it is ugly (unreturnable, I am sure) and an annoyance to me.

So: if anyone on this thread has had better luck than me on repairs and wants this pen, scratches and all, I'd like to pass it along. Play with it for parts, modify it as a decent writer (even if it looks wonky), etc. Right now I feel like I have entirely wasted $20 and too much time, so I would like this to go to someone who wants to play with it and has had better luck than I have. Maybe you'd be up for a trade--something modest that you're tired of or a sample of ink?

If interested, please do -not- post in this thread; just PM me with your name and mailing address. thanks.

This Konrad has found a new home.

I had the same problem as the original poster. One problem followed another and I ended up getting a metal piece (long story) stuck in the section, which took forever to get out, with a lot of scraping at the inside of the barrel. (This is the demonstrator, so the marks are ugly and visible.) Once I got everything apart again, I was still left with the original problem, which I just can't seem to fix. Now I have a gap, but no flow. This is brand new-ordered two weeks ago and inked once before the repair attempt started--but now it is ugly (unreturnable, I am sure) and an annoyance to me.

So: if anyone on this thread has had better luck than me on repairs and wants this pen, scratches and all, I'd like to pass it along. Play with it for parts, modify it as a decent writer (even if it looks wonky), etc. Right now I feel like I have entirely wasted $20 and too much time, so I would like this to go to someone who wants to play with it and has had better luck than I have. Maybe you'd be up for a trade--something modest that you're tired of or a sample of ink?

If interested, please do -not- post in this thread; just PM me with your name and mailing address. thanks.

Having the same problem with my new Konrad. The Ahab I have does not suffer from this. However, the difference is that the Ahab has grooves cut for the nib to slide into - so you can only put the nib + feed in one way. The Konrad shows no such groove, so I'm not sure how you are supposed to get a fit.

I still like the Ahab, and will use it occasionally, but the Konrad is dead to me. Sad really, as it probably would not take much to rectify this problem during manufacturing. They have done it on the Ahab already, so why not fix the Konrads?

Edited by snowblink

Having the same problem with my new Konrad. The Ahab I have does not suffer from this. However, the difference is that the Ahab has grooves cut for the nib to slide into - so you can only put the nib + feed in one way. The Konrad shows no such groove, so I'm not sure how you are supposed to get a fit.

I still like the Ahab, and will use it occasionally, but the Konrad is dead to me. Sad really, as it probably would not take much to rectify this problem during manufacturing. They have done it on the Ahab already, so why not fix the Konrads?

Read the post above about removing the piston and looking down the barrel? Insert the feed/nib partially.

See how much light shows. Twist the nib through ten or twenty degrees and try again. Choose a position where it is the tightest fit, the only light being the slot in the feed, or as close to that as possible.

After that try warming the feed and 'moulding' the feed to the nib to get a best fit possible.

A video is linked above.

I agree it is a manufacturing issue.

If all else fails, use the nib in the Ahab.

HTH

Cambs, UK

A test.

Clean the pen of ink.

Small jug of clean water, one drop of washing up liquid. Fill the pen with the water.

From the video Nathan 'tests' the pen by holding the underside of the nib against a paper towel

and watches the bubbles coming out - he is using a demonstrator. Mine is black. Should be a stream (slow)

of small bubbles coming out.

An alternative

With the feed held against some dry paper towel, capillary action should wet the paper towel within a minute or so.

Let's define that as working normally?

Now. The acid test for a faulty pen? I think.

Hold the pen (filled with water as above) with the nib down.

Mine drips water, once flowing, about one drip per two or three seconds.

No other pen I have does that.

Test two. Unscrew the blind cap.

Unscrew the plunger / piston thingy.

Fill the now empty barrel with water.

Hold the pen, nib down. Water gushes out.

Now. When I hold a finger over the top of the barrel, no water comes out.

Strange?

I thought so.

Assumption. That my finger seals the barrel. Air pressure stops water dripping from the nib.

Assumption. That the piston/filler and thread, plus the blind cap, somehow fail to seal the pen.

Ergo. The pen doesn't seal in normal use. Which is why it drips ink.

Is my logic wrong? What does yours do? How else could we test if these are bad pens.

Dave

Cambs, UK

There was a thread where someone found some manufacturing cruft interfering with the seal of the o-ring on the piston. Disassembling the pen, cleaning and lubing the o-ring is the solution.

I have improved my Konrad into a daily user pen by replacing the ebonite feed with one from a Sheaffer no-nonsense pen, and a generic large kit pen nib, as my 'flex' nib was very, very scratchy. It was necessary to set the nib very deep due to lack of cap space, which worked out ok, as the feed was a tad under size and the nib took up the space to make everything fit.

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png