#1 publishing guy

publishing guy

The Scribbler

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:10

Here's a question for a hard-core Estie expert. Discovered a nice white Estie nurse pen with the red jewels BUT the barrel jewel is flat, not the typical slightly conical jewel I've seen all other Esties (except the transitionals).

Two questions: Is the jewel original. (It sure looks good.) And, if so, what's the story? I can't find a reference anywhere.

Second -- and this is a debate with a chum -- can it be a "nurse pen" if the jewels are another color, say green? Again, they're red on this one (a very medical look) but I've also seen the white pens with green. Still a "nurse" pen?

Experts, please ...
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?

#2 Pincel

Pincel

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:43

Here's a question for a hard-core Estie expert. Discovered a nice white Estie nurse pen with the red jewels BUT the barrel jewel is flat, not the typical slightly conical jewel I've seen all other Esties (except the transitionals).

Two questions: Is the jewel original. (It sure looks good.) And, if so, what's the story? I can't find a reference anywhere.

Second -- and this is a debate with a chum -- can it be a "nurse pen" if the jewels are another color, say green? Again, they're red on this one (a very medical look) but I've also seen the white pens with green. Still a "nurse" pen?

Experts, please ...

Richard Binder's GLOSSARY says, "Esterbrook made a nurse's set in white, using the Model SJ and coloring the end jewels red, green, or black to indicate the color of ink in the pen. (The three ink colors were used for the three 8-hour shifts in a 24-hour day, to distinguish entries made on patients' charts.)"
I'm no Estie expert but Richard says it all.

Ben

Edited by Pincel, 06 June 2012 - 04:44.

Pen pen disarapen.
Kutsilyo de almasen.
Haw, haw da karabaw batuten.

#3 northlodge

northlodge

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:23

Experts, please ...

Richard Binder's GLOSSARY says, "Esterbrook made a nurse's set in white, using the Model SJ and coloring the end jewels red, green, or black to indicate the color of ink in the pen. (The three ink colors were used for the three 8-hour shifts in a 24-hour day, to distinguish entries made on patients' charts.)"
I'm no Estie expert but Richard says it all.

Ben

The Binder quote will be accurate from the pen perspective i.e. the ability to distinguish ink colour in each pen, but I am not convinced the

" three ink colors were used for the three 8-hour shifts in a 24-hour day, to distinguish entries made on patients' charts"

part is accurate. I trained as a nurse in "pre-computer days" and never came across this convention.

#4 topaz

topaz

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:47

When I worked in a smaller hospital, they still used the colors to indicate which shift on the medication record. It actually made it much easier to tell when a medication was due. I wish they hadn't done away with the practice...

#5 publishing guy

publishing guy

The Scribbler

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2012 - 13:44

OK. I trust Richard for sure. NOW, what about that flat jewel?
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?

#6 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2012 - 17:45

Let's see a picture or two. They did make Nurses pens of the Dollar shape and may have done so during the transition.

#7 Brian Anderson

Brian Anderson

Esterbrook Nut

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 17:52

I have been told by more than one person who was either a nurse or who's mother was a nurse in the 1940's that this color was common convention. I can never get the shifts right though, despite having it written down somewhere. I really need to find that.

Also don't confuse a nurse pen with a purse pen. Nurse pens are longer with a standard section, Purse pens will have a shorter section.

Without a picture it is hard to say what you have, but you can find a transitional nurse pen with flat barrel end that is colored red. I have not come across the red on that one however.
www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.
Posted Image

#8 topaz

topaz

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 20:22

I have been told by more than one person who was either a nurse or who's mother was a nurse in the 1940's that this color was common convention. I can never get the shifts right though, despite having it written down somewhere. I really need to find that.

Black for day shift, green for evening, red for nights. Several of my elderly (they would be somewhere in their 90's today) instructors used to talk about "the way things were."

I'd love to find one of these nurse pens...

#9 welch

welch

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,017 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2012 - 21:40

I have a nurse's pen, and I think it is the same length as a SJ -- 4 3/4 inches -- but a bit thicker.

(Incidentally, they look like serious pens when you have some ink dried in the threads. "I work for a living". they say.)
Don't take any job that requires new clothes.

#10 GardenWeasel

GardenWeasel

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 21:51

I always read the jewels are red...mine are kinda orange-red.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 vondauster

vondauster

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 June 2012 - 16:32

Beautiful pen, regardless...

Will
-----------------

Will von Dauster

#12 Tom Heath

Tom Heath

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 13:18

Whilst on the subject check out these from my collection.

A White ended nurses pen, what was this used for ? what ink color , and which shift Holidays : )

Next a little sample of a Doctors set ( two Holed Series.), and a couple of other white , Red and blck ends notice the different lengths too.

Happy Friday

Tom Heath
[attachment=148580:IMG_5166.JPG]

Edited by Tom Heath, 15 June 2012 - 17:32.

#13 pal38

pal38

pastelmaniac

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 June 2012 - 17:50

A White ended nurses pen, what was this used for ? what ink color , and which shift Holidays : )

Tom Heath

Could it be that the white jewelled "N"urse pen is in fact a second generation "P"urse pen? (Check the section length).

Peter Althaus

swisspenpal

#14 Tom Heath

Tom Heath

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 13:15

Whilst on the subject check out these from my collection.

Next a little sample of a Doctors set ( two Holed Series.), and a couple of other white , Red and blck ends notice the different lengths too.

Happy Friday

Tom Heath
[attachment=148580:IMG_5166.JPG]

I stnd corrected the White jeweled pen is Purse pen , Not a Nurse of course where would one find White ink !

#15 welch

welch

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,017 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 June 2012 - 20:54

I think the purse pens are about 4 1/2 inches, and the nurse/doctor pens about 4 3/4 inches...both capped.
Don't take any job that requires new clothes.