Dearest Friends and Visitors of the Fountain Pen Network,
We have started implementing the changes we promised here: Upcoming Changes To FPN
Please do read the linked message above.

Photo

Lamy 2000M Pre-Order Anyone?

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#31 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,076 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:00

I've got one incoming...
:bunny01:

Excellent, if possible, can you share the details of from where?

#32 Pen2009

Pen2009

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:01

I am not sure if it is worth the price tag as I can get a sterling silver / gold nib pen at that price range.
My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

#33 dannzeman

dannzeman

flex nib fanatic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:47

...We've also got the Pelikan M800 Tortoise coming out later in the year...

Do you have a source for this?

#34 82Greg

82Greg

Most Unexalted

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 13:05

1343134031[/url]' post='2413585']

1339091115[/url]' post='2367479']
...We've also got the Pelikan M800 Tortoise coming out later in the year...

Do you have a source for this?

There is an article on this in the Pelikan Forum. Several retailers jumped the gun and had announcements out before Pelikan was ready and apparently were forced to take them down. I haven't seen an firm price yet, just speculation so far.

#35 hippity_zippity

hippity_zippity

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 July 2012 - 23:29

Well, it looks like Lamy has added a page to their website for the new models - http://www.lamy.com/.../index_eng.html

Penbotique has the FP, RB and BP up for pre-order, but the RB and BP are currently priced WAY over MSRP ($295 and $250 vs $150 and $135, respectively).

#36 82Greg

82Greg

Most Unexalted

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 21:14

Now available from at least one dealer on the bay here

Buy it now is $300.

#37 Mags

Mags

Life is more vibrant with a fountain pen and a bold wet ink line

• Member - Gold

• 981 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2012 - 00:31

I do not really like this pen. I have tried to like the Lamy but nope I find it ugly and cheap looking. It writes like butter but it just looks awful.
Bob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)
I use a RIM PlayBook and a fountain pen.

#38 Rubicon

Rubicon

Master of the Universe

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:45

Way too much for a Lamy 2000... I expect 18k gold, or god forbid, 23k Pd nib for this kind of price. Stainless steel doesn't do it for me.

Currently: Montblanc WE Franz Kafka Fine

#39 bphollin

bphollin

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,266 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:19

Bob Nurin of Lamy USA said at the Miami show that he might be seeing them in August but didn't have a firm date.

The listings on eBay and Amazon are at MSRP-20% (ie $299) exclusive of shipping. I paid 40% off MSRP, including Euro to USD exchange and shipping from Germany and still thought this was a bit high, though it is doubtful that we'll see a substantially lower price. The (well-respected) vendor also had the new matching ballpoint. I haven't caught a sighting of the rollerball for sale yet, though. The price quoted by the Goulets matches the price I saw in Germany, so I plan to buy from them when the BP/RB hit the US.

I'm already planning a rundown review comparing the 2012 stainless steel to the standard FP and the 2000 Edition pens to see how it stacks up. I love the 2000 and the 2000 Edition, so I'm very much looking forward to trying the 2012 edition.

Edited by bphollin, 29 July 2012 - 02:20.

#40 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 12,076 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:56

Way too much for a Lamy 2000... I expect 18k gold, or god forbid, 23k Pd nib for this kind of price. Stainless steel doesn't do it for me.

Hello, the nib on the all SS Lamy 2000 is 14K gold. the gold nib is plated white.

Edited by hari317, 29 July 2012 - 08:56.

#41 MrsGouletPens

MrsGouletPens

The Goulet Pen Company

• Member - Gold

• 1,139 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2012 - 19:12

Bob Nurin of Lamy USA said at the Miami show that he might be seeing them in August but didn't have a firm date.

I was able to confirm that this morning with my Lamy rep as well; they are optimistic for mid-August here in the US.

GPCsticker.jpg InkDropLogoFPN2.jpg

Ink Nouveau

#42 tempo

tempo

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 21:34

No ink window = Nope :angry:

Remember the Schrödinger's cat?

The pen is BOTH full AND empty!

No ink window => no communication between in and out => no information travel path => fundamental quantum uncertainty => AAAHHhhhhhhh :gaah: :gaah: :gaah:

The lack of window will split the pen into infinite numbers of universes each have a different ink amount~~~~

/end of joking... :meow:

#43 Dillo

Dillo

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,527 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 22:02

Hi,

If it was like an Aurora with the Riserva Magica, it would be more acceptable to not have an ink view window because I would have warning before the pen ran out of ink, but if this shares the same piston mechanism as the original 2000, that would be a bit of a problem. I would have to take a backup with me all the time. Personally though, I would like to see how this pen is constructed. I would imagine that it shares a good number of parts with the original 2000.

Dillon

Sheaffer Lady and Parker Falcon fs
Apple Macbook owners, please read!
HP/RPN fellowship

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Dillon

#44 Sagar_C

Sagar_C

Animalia Chordata Mammalia Primates Hominidae Homo S. Sapiens

• Member - Gold

• 1,049 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:48

I have a "usual" 2000 and, while I love it, I wouldn't go for another. I just do not like the tapering section. I feel my fingers are always slipping down.

#45 bphollin

bphollin

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,266 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 July 2012 - 17:22

Here's a quick photo comparison. I'm catching up on work due to family illness. When I am up to speed, look for a full comparison review. "2012 edition" refers to the new version; 2000 Edition refers to the millennium edition released in 2000.

Initial impressions:

- 2012 edition is *very* similar to the 2000 Edition. If you want a stainless steel Lamy 2000 but don't want to pay the going rate for the 2000 Edition, this is your pen.

-2012 edition feels heavier than 2000 Edition

-2012 edition has the "ears" recessed into the pen body. The standard issue and 2000 Edition have the ears recessed into the section. See last photo.

-Slight differences in section construction, but otherwise the construction feels about the same.

-Capping feels a bit rough on the 2012 edition vs. standard edition and 2000 Edition.

-The finish is a bit more polished on the 2012 edition. The 2000 Edition more closely resembles the finish of the standard Makrolon finish, in my opinion.

Boxes. 2000 Edition on left, 2012 edition on right.
Posted Image

Can you guess which is which?
Posted Image

Lamy 2000 Edition on bottom/left, 2012 edition on top/right
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#46 MCN

MCN

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 July 2012 - 00:39

Must.... have.... new.... pen.... :mellow:

#47 MCN

MCN

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 July 2012 - 00:43

Hey, a quick question for you: does the 2000 Edition have an ink window in the black bit? It doesn't appear to.

#48 bphollin

bphollin

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,266 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:06

No. You can barely see it, but in the top pen, the ink window is on the body end of the pen, "under" the ears. The regular 2000 and 2000 Edition use the same section (the black Makrolon and stainless steel part near the nib).

Posted Image

Edited by bphollin, 31 July 2012 - 01:07.

#49 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 12,076 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:27

Excellent pictures of the new 2000, valuable contribution,
Thanks!
Hari

#50 Dioxazine

Dioxazine

<searching for penpals>

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:44

Wow, the windowless one is beautiful. It must be even more glorious IRL. Would I get one if I had $300? Even if there's no window?

Hmmmm....
The faintest ink is more powerful than the strongest memory - Chinese proverb
Dioxazine Letter Tracker

#51 Ytland

Ytland

The Swagman

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 August 2012 - 14:19

Ack, the whole ink window thing is ridiculous. The window on the normal 2K is useless anyway Posted Image

More of an issue is the overinflated price, and the complete reversal of the proprietary minimalist and inconspicuous design ethic. This is an extension of the blingy look Lamy has started to shift towards ever since it came out with the eye-searingly shiny Studio Pt (Platinum coat)...

I'm clutching onto my "normal" 2K for dear life. It's one heck of a pen.

Jack.

Edited by Ytland, 02 August 2012 - 14:21.

Express Nib Grinding Down Under at AUSSIE PEN REPAIR
Email: aussiepenrepair@gmail.com

Pens for Sale

Posted Image

#52 dannzeman

dannzeman

flex nib fanatic

• Member - Gold

• 1,378 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 15:35

More of an issue is the overinflated price,...

How do you know it's overinflated? I would love for someone to show me numbers in relation to the manufacturing costs between the Makrolon 2000 and this new one to justify these types of statements. For all we really know, Lamy's profit per pen could be greater on the Makrolon 2000. I'm guessing their manufacturing process has become pretty efficient (read cost saving) since they've only been producing the pen for 50 some odd years.

...and the complete reversal of the proprietary minimalist and inconspicuous design ethic. This is an extension of the blingy look Lamy has started to shift towards ever since it came out with the eye-searingly shiny Studio Pt (Platinum coat)...

Lamy says they design each pen using the Bauhaus principle of form follows function. I don't see anywhere where the new SS version deviates from that. It's just as minimalistic as the Makrolon 2000. Looking at some of the other functional techniques of the Bauhaus principle:
  • Simpicity
  • Symmetry
  • Angularity
  • Abstraction
  • Consistency
  • Unity
  • Organization
  • Economy
  • Subtlety
  • Continuity
  • Regularity
  • Sharpness
  • Monochomaticity
One could argue the new SS version is a better example of a Bauhaus design in its consistency, unity, continuity, and monochomaticity. While the SS isn't as subtle as the Makrolon, it's brushed finish is definitely less offensive than that shiny platinum coating.

#53 Pippin60

Pippin60

Still tilting at windmills

• Member - Gold

• 2,334 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 15:48

Nope, I'll get one but I'll wait. I love mine, but no rush to get another and I'll likely get the XF, I have a fine and it writes pretty wide, so I'll get the XF, but try it first at one of the few B&M stores I go to as I know they can be scratchy and hit or miss as to the quality of the nib.

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.
- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

#54 tempo

tempo

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 19:42

Er....

I think what they mean by "overinflated price" is that the pen is just too expensive.

For example, I can buy a new 2012, durable, light weight Thermos stainless steel water bottle of top/equal workmanship for only 15 dollar from a large outdoor chain that don't give discounts at all.

And you are trying to sell me a pen for 20 times the price which is already discounted?

And, by "and the complete reversal of the proprietary minimalist and inconspicuous design ethic"

They are really saying "Lamy is no longer one of us"

They are now amount the giants like MontBlanc :ltcapd:

:embarrassed_smile:

-----

But then.... with the stock market going up and down 300 points every week, there will be millions of people that's making lots of money out of thin air every day.... I always say, no matter how much you make, as long as other people are making more, you will be losing.

And it's a pen, it will just go against my tax amount as a business expenses..... :ltcapd:

And so on........

Go hiding now :ninja:

Edited by tempo, 02 August 2012 - 19:43.

#55 tempo

tempo

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 20:08

BTW, all watches from Seiko, Citizen, to Rolex to Vacheron Constantin, has been continuously up their prices for more than two years now....

Some watches go up 10% every 3 or 6 month.....

Some watches used to have as much as 40% discount, now less then 5%......

What used to be 8000 is now 15000 and there is a 8 month line up to buy one. :blink:

So, yes, pens will continue to go up unless 1) we have another economy crisis, 2) pens go out of fashion.

:ninja: :ninja: :ninja:

But don't worry... The heroic Chinese people will copy the SS 2000 for about 50 dollar. We will raise up to fight this evil :P :P

#56 Dillo

Dillo

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 6,527 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 21:29

Hi,

Your Thermos water bottle is extruded, which is a bit cheaper than machining a Lamy 2000M out of stainless steel. Stainless steel is a bit more difficult to machine. $300 is about as much as I would expect a product such as the Lamy 2000M machined and finished from stainless steel to cost.

Dillon

HP/RPN fellowship

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Dillon

#57 J English Smith

J English Smith

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,416 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 21:51

Won't get one...just too expensive. I like the original version just fine!
"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."
-Marlowe, in The Long Goodbye

#58 tempo

tempo

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 21:53

Hi all, just got back from pen shop.

The Lamy 2000 SS is already in stock in CANADA :thumbup: ,

Listed as 398 Canadian dollar. with sale tax extra of course :glare: .

Just let the Canadian here know you can go see/buy the real thing now :happyberet:

#59 Dillo

Dillo

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 6,527 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 22:09

Hi,

I'll wait by the classifieds. Maybe I can get one, take it apart, and shoot a lot of macro pictures comparing it internally to the old version and go from there.

Dillon

HP/RPN fellowship

Dillon

#60 fourseamer

fourseamer

Up and In

• Member - Gold

• 800 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 August 2012 - 23:13

Hi,

Your Thermos water bottle is extruded, which is a bit cheaper than machining a Lamy 2000M out of stainless steel. Stainless steel is a bit more difficult to machine. $300 is about as much as I would expect a product such as the Lamy 2000M machined and finished from stainless steel to cost.

Dillon

You have a point, but if you think $300 is about right for the 2000M, then how does Lamy pull off the stainless steel Studio for $60? There's not $240 worth of difference where material and machining are concerned.

Edited by fourseamer, 02 August 2012 - 23:14.