Sonnet Comparisons With Lookalikes

richardandtracy

Thanks for the very thorough review! I will probably be ordering one, or two, or three shortly. :rolleyes:

Yes, I agree on the lack of originality in the designs that are reviewed here. Its obvious, but not overly concerning to me. At least they do show some originality.

Being a Parker fan, you would think I would find fault with all of these Chinese variations, but I don't. As long as none of them are trying to counterfeit a true Parker, I don't see a problem.

Yes, they do need to come up with some more original design work to get to the"next level". And I think a couple of the companies are actually attempting it, but you don't necessarily see it in these particular models.

Nicely said. In the USA we are not really in a position to complain about emerging economies copying other people's products, since that is how the USA became a manufacturing power too. I do think the Chinese manufacturers are doing some very original design--for example, some of the overlaid Jinhao pens. But their original designs appear to be done for a distinctly Chinese aesthetic, not a Western one. It may be that the Chinese design offices don't lack creativity, they simply lack confidence that they understand Western tastes. So when they design for North America and Europe, they copy US or European designs. When they design for China, they really cut loose.

ron

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• watch_art

• studiohead

• rdh

Well - I can't speak for the Sonnet or any of the other pens - but I got two K356 pens in the mail today from a very kind FPNer and I have to say they're VERY nice.

Sure they each needed a quick nib adjustment to open the tines, but they're smooth and wet.

Great student pens!

:)

An interesting post and very informative. I have struggled with Parker Sonnets on and off for many years. These were all 23k gold plated medium nibs and were indifferent for my handwriting style, either running dry or just not feeling quite right.

I was desperate to own a Sonnet that I could enjoy and recently took the plunge and acquired a new pen fitted with an 18k gold fine nib. As a committed medium nib man this was quite a risk but turned out to be a revelation. The 18k nib was unlike any of the previous Sonnets and I have finally found a Sonnet that I can love.

An interesting post and very informative. I have struggled with Parker Sonnets on and off for many years. These were all 23k gold plated medium nibs and were indifferent for my handwriting style, either running dry or just not feeling quite right.

I was desperate to own a Sonnet that I could enjoy and recently took the plunge and acquired a new pen fitted with an 18k gold fine nib. As a committed medium nib man this was quite a risk but turned out to be a revelation. The 18k nib was unlike any of the previous Sonnets and I have finally found a Sonnet that I can love.

The gold nibs are really nice. I haven't tried the steel Sonnet nib but the gold nib has a nice amount of spring to it. :)

What a thorough and entertaining review, many thanks!

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

Well - I can't speak for the Sonnet or any of the other pens - but I got two K356 pens in the mail today from a very kind FPNer and I have to say they're VERY nice.

Sure they each needed a quick nib adjustment to open the tines, but they're smooth and wet.

Great student pens!

:)

Nice to hear that it arrived safely.

From The Sunny Island of Singapore

Straits Pen Distributors and Dealers of Craft Rinkul, JB Perfect Pen Flush, Ohto Japan, Parker, Pelikan, Pilot Pen, Private Reserve Inks, Schrade Tactical Pens, Smith & Wesson Pens, Noodler's Ink LLC Pens, TWSBI Inc and Waterman in Singapore

Disclosure: I do nib work for others and am affiliated with those which do. I also sell and represent certain brands of pens.

From what you mention in your review, the original Sonnet does not have much more to offer than the cheaper Chinese replicas....

Perhaps, though without all the effort and expense Parker put into designing it, there would be no cheap replicas....

I agree with you of course. I am a Parker fan, but I am also glad that we can find cheap alternatives of the classic Parker designs.

Nick Apostolakis

Msc in IT, University of Glasgow

GPG ID: 0xBDF1848D

e-mail: nickapos@oncrete.gr

Web Site: http://nick.oncrete.gr

Me too. :)

This is what 80 Kaigelus look like.

:yikes:

How much did it cost? I imagine you got a really nice bulk discount.

Hi

Richard, I enjoyed the review and may try the Kaigelu or the Duke, since I am not enthusiastic about the Sonnet. I have 4 Sonnets, but do not use them much. I see the Sonnet as a mediocre (work-horse) sort of pen.

As I understand it, instead of a Parker 75, I was expected to upgrade to a Duofold or down-grade to a Sonnet. I am still sorry that Parker saw fit to stop manufacturing the Parker 75. None of the replacements give me the same pleasure

Chaim

Chaim Seymour

David Elazar 8

Givat Shemuel

Israel

I now have my BAOER 388 and it is a very nice pen in all ways except for the clip which has some slop init which tightening can't fix.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed ..."

A very interesting comparison.

I currently have a Sonnet (90s Moonbeam) and a Baoer 388, neither of which I really like to write with.

However, I do like the basic design and based on your description, I might give the Kaigelu 356 a go.

They were $400 - shipped by DHL and got here in about a week. Very fast shipping! :)

What are you going to do with all of them?

Dave

Give them to my students in August.

NIce. I am sure that you will have some who really appreciate them. I think what we need for a lot of current students is a stylus that looks and acts like a Fountain pen. If they can get the feel of a real pen on their iPads, then they will know why some of us really fuss about our fountain pens.

Dave

They were $400 - shipped by DHL and got here in about a week. Very fast shipping! :)

Unfortunately, I think that most of the cost went into shipping then into the pens at the quantity you ordered but at least they have you the cloth sleeves.

Been in and out of the loop due to the traveling and conventions. E3 and WWDC were okay. Returning home tomorrow with a huge order from The Goulets and other retailers. Let me know next year, I see if I can a cheaper price as I know you want to help more students.

The iPad is designed for the finger and not a stylus, any requirement of a stylus becomes bad design on the part of the person designing the App.

From The Sunny Island of Singapore

Straits Pen Distributors and Dealers of Craft Rinkul, JB Perfect Pen Flush, Ohto Japan, Parker, Pelikan, Pilot Pen, Private Reserve Inks, Schrade Tactical Pens, Smith & Wesson Pens, Noodler's Ink LLC Pens, TWSBI Inc and Waterman in Singapore

Disclosure: I do nib work for others and am affiliated with those which do. I also sell and represent certain brands of pens.

I have become aware of a problem with the Kaigelu c/c supplied with the K356 and a number of the recent cheaper Kaigelus.

Unfortunately due to bad material choice by Kaigelu, they are using unplated metal (probably brass) balls in the c/c. These balls corrode in the ink and produce discolouration of the ink, sludge contamination in the c/c and can cause blockage of the pen. In Pelikan Turquoise (pH 2.1) it took 3 days for visible quantities of Copper Carbonate to build up in the ink, which came through to the nib. In Herbin Rose scented ink, in the space of a week, the ink in the c/c turned an orangey-brown.

The affected c/c's are the c/c's with black central rings joining the fixed part of the c/c to the twist knob. I know these c/c's appear on the recent K300 (but not the older ones), the K353, K356, K360, K362 and K363. I have direct experience of the balls corroding in the c/c in the K356, K362 and K363.

The solution is to either change the c/c or to dismantle the c/c to replace the ball with one obtained from an old cartridge.

Good luck Shawn...!

Regards,

Richard.

and you dismantle HOW? I can't get the black ring off the converter to take the little BB out.

I guess I could just fill them all with ink and leave them sit in a cup or something, then clean them out and wash the BB out.

THe one I've been using has a plastic ball in it. Too bad all the new ones have the BB.

Edited by watch_art