Leuchtturm1917 – Leather A6 Notebook

Recently while viewing the lovely, tempting, expensive items the web has to offer I came across two different types of Leuchttrum notebooks that I have not seen before; the leather and linen versions.

Being a fan of leather notebooks I ordered one from The Paperie (no affiliation) very soon it arrived. I have a few of the regular Leuchtturms around so where possible I will compare the two. This is a quite preliminary assessment, although the two don’t seem very different.

I am coming from a perspective where I have used Moleskine extensively in the past, primarily with pigment drawing pens (0.2 – 0.7). Having switched back to fountain pens again about a year ago I long for something with a bit higher quality paper, although I like the Moleskine style.

Packaging

The Leather version is more elaborately packaged than the regular notebooks, it comes in a presentation box which is a nice texture which is a little smaller than A6. The notebook comes with all the literature and stickers that are included with the normal version, including a booklet of other items in the range.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7085/7268540326_181cf3b821.jpg

Leuchttrum1917 Leather Box by Bigeddie100, on Flickr

Quality of Manufacture

Out of the box I notice that the paper insert is not secured as centrally as the notebook’s non-leather family. The cover is noticeably off centre with some of the insert creased on the back cover. This is a shame for a comparatively expensive notebook. It cheapens it, which is a shame because it otherwise feels well made. This may of course be a one off.

I wrestled with myself over whether to return it for replacement, but decided it probably wouldn’t affect my use.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7090/7268539562_3a2bb7a22d.jpg

Leuchttrum1917 Leather Misaligned by Bigeddie100, on Flickr

Cover

This is the thing that makes the leather version distinct from the regular notebooks. The standard covers are a little thicker than one would find on the more will known Moleskine range of stationary, also slightly shinier. The leather version is a thick card with a thin cover of leather. Both versions are hard backed. The leather feels nice, soft, thin and smooth as opposed to a tough, but perhaps more protective leather. There are one or two little marks in the material, as one would expect, I think these add character rather than detract from the product.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7088/7268539964_0406d09d2c.jpg

Leuchttrum1917 Leather Cover by Bigeddie100, on Flickr

Format

It is worth saying that the format of the Leuchttrum books is different to that of Moleskine and similar notebooks, although between the leather and standard versions it does not vary. The front of the book has three contents pages, each page has a date field at the top and a (very welcome) page number at the bottom. The books are available in ruled, squared, dotted or plain pages; the last 8 sheets are perforated for detaching. There are the usual cover retaining elastic, ribbon to keep pages and pocket firmly attached to the back cover.

Edit to add: there seems to be no embossed Leuchttrum logo on the back, which is present on the standard version.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7221/7268539144_d06a08ec12.jpg

Leuchttrum1917 Leather Contents by Bigeddie100, on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7211/7268538696_178b36327c.jpg

Leuchttrum1917 Leather Page no by Bigeddie100, on Flickr

Paper

The leather version contains the same Leuchttrum paper as the standard finishes. The paper is flocked, and has always felt a little damp to the touch in my experience, although I’m sure this isn’t the case. The paper takes ink quite well, with minor feathering from some of my wetter pens. Show through is present, but acceptable to me, bleed is only present with one pen and ink combination. I would consider this to be fairly standard paper, not as good as Rhodia, better than Moleskine.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7096/7268537700_e165ba9d45.jpg

Leuchttrum1917 Leather Writing by Bigeddie100, on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7097/7268536806_95dcf534a1.jpg

Leuchttrum1917 Leather Bleed by Bigeddie100, on Flickr

Cost

I purchased this at a cost of £25, I consider that to be a reasonable price for a well made product with a better / more expensive class of materials. The standard version is £9 from the same retailer as a comparison.

Conclusion

I would give it 3 out of 5; losing 1 marks each for the quality of the paper and the misalignment of the cover.

The book feels nice, the paper is acceptable, but the major factor that lets the notebook down is the poor construction. At nearly three times the standard notebooks price I would have expected any quality issues to have been sorted out at the factory. I will enjoy using the book, although my next order will be for the standard version rather than paying the premium.

I will however write to Leuchttrum and see what response I get.

Edited by Bigeddie

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• steviebee

• Bigeddie

• Joe in Seattle

• Mags

Thanks for the review. I love the 1917 style & paper. Given your experience I won't waste any money on a leatherm cover one.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

I bought some of the linen-covered versions from Papernation before they closed for revamping and they are great; just waiting their turn in the rotation! I won't be buying the leather ones as it's the words that matter I suppose and I don't judge a book by it's cover.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

About maybe 1 ½ yrs ago I reviewed the notebook. I liked the organized layout but the quality of the paper was much inferior, any ink written with a M nib would leak to the back of the paper...not good. :mad:

Edited by alvarez57

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

I believe the paper was reformulated within the past year and current versions note "foundtian pen frendly" on the cover. I've had no bleedthrough myself even with the wettest nibs.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

Thanks for the review.

I have recently switched from Moleskines to these. The Rhodia paper is just too shiny and being a south paw who likes stub and broad pens the paper that adds to drying time adds to my left hands distinct staining even as an over writer who avoids smears.

If only I was a drawer I could illustrate my notebooks and include sketches but sadly I am not patient enough and oh yes I may lack a thing called talent.

Speaking of talent....that was a great review BigEddie.

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

Journaling Arts carries this brand stateside, but I can't find any of the leather covered ones here in the states.

Does anyone know of a source that will ship these stateside w/o increasing the national debt 10 fold? Thanks, Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Journaling Arts carries this brand stateside, but I can't find any of the leather covered ones here in the states.

Does anyone know of a source that will ship these stateside w/o increasing the national debt 10 fold? Thanks, Jim

I ordered mine from the paperie but their shipping to the states seems to be double the price of the item. :(

I did get a reply today from the letter I sent to Leuchttrum; Handwritten on a decent paper with a fountain.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8020/7369237230_0e873635e0.jpg

Leuctturm Reply by Bigeddie100, on Flickr

If that's not good service then what is?! The enclosed book was set perfectly. It's times like this that reassure me about a brand, and make me want to say 'no affiliation'. :P

Edit to add; after a few weeks of use I am enjoying using the notebook, more so than my typical pink cover one (which I bought when a website was closing down and colours were limited). It has a nice tactile feel to it. I appreciate the comment above about it being the words more than the cover, but creating these little artefacts is nice, and if we were all just about the words we wouldn't spend so much on stationary!

Revised score 4/5

Edited by Bigeddie

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan

The handwritten reply, plus "compensation" but more importantly perfectly aligned "compensation" does indeed give you faith in the brand. Thanks for posting the review and the follow up.

Bigeddie, thanks for the thorough and detailed review.

Good to hear that your concerns were addressed in such a prompt and personalised manner.

I have a Leuchtturm1917 pocket size blank which was well constructed, stood up to 6 months of kicking around in my work bag and was a pleasure to use.

sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink

On my couple of 1917's the paper, while pretty good, has this odd character where tiny straight lines go out from each letter...I call it my Leuchtturm Spiders, because it makes each letter look like it has wee little legs! Not the usual feathering/spreading I see on some of my cheapie notebooks. Anyone else notice this?

And, great customer service, nice letter. Thanks for the review. Tempting - especially if the paper has changed....

"No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn...."

On my couple of 1917's the paper, while pretty good, has this odd character where tiny straight lines go out from each letter...I call it my Leuchtturm Spiders, because it makes each letter look like it has wee little legs! Not the usual feathering/spreading I see on some of my cheapie notebooks. Anyone else notice this?

And, great customer service, nice letter. Thanks for the review. Tempting - especially if the paper has changed....

Mine does that too. I, too, still like the journal, though.

fpn_1339685560__spiders.jpg

An eye for insignificant details is a good sign you will do just fine in medical school...

As a sharp wit and powerful sarcasm is a sign that you already have.

Somebody

Hi plistumi - them's the things! Thanks for the pic....

I too really like the 1917 books otherwise. I guess spiders is a small price to pay!

Do you happen to know if the company also do a soft notebook ( like the Moleskine ones)? I like the Moleskine soft style, but am put off buying one due to the reports I read about the paper...

Edited by steviebee

Do you happen to know if the company also do a soft notebook ( like the Moleskine ones)? I like the Moleskine soft style, but am put off buying one due to the reports I read about the paper...

They do indeed. Although the page count is much smaller (121 as opposed to 185 in the standard hardcover books).

The paper is OK (not great but better than most equivalents), the main thing that I can't stand is bleed.

1339833569[/url]' post='2376034']
1339799860[/url]' post='2375704']

They do indeed. Although the page count is much smaller (121 as opposed to 185 in the standard hardcover books).

The paper is OK (not great but better than most equivalents), the main thing that I can't stand is bleed.

I was going to say the same thing!! My only problem with the Leuchtturm is the elastic - it doesn't seem thick enough to me and stretches over time. Does anyone else feel that?

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

My Pen Wraps are for sale in my Etsy shop

Thanks Bigeddie (& alc3261!) :)

Exactly what I was hoping to hear - shame the page count isn't higher, but still....off to the shops come payday, lol.

• 3 weeks later...

That was great service to see a handwritten reply and a replacement leather covered journal.

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

Great review nice to see their interest in you being satisfied ... says a lot about the company ...

• 1 year later...

Mine does that too. I, too, still like the journal, though.

fpn_1339685560__spiders.jpg

Wow, thanks for the photo. I thought I was going crazy with my Leuchtturm pocket jotbook. I see the same radiating lines but not consistently. Glad you captured this.